Skrevet av Emne: NYHETER: Ex-player/-manager news, Part 11  (Lest 404182 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 3 gjester leser dette emnet.

Promotion 2010

Sv: NYHETER: Ex-player/-manager news, Part 11
« Svar #810 på: Mai 18, 2014, 22:00:13 »
LUFC No one wants them!

Whilst Leeds United announced their released list on Friday, there was a host of former Leeds players also being shown the door at their respective clubs.

The highest profile players are Rio Ferdinand and Alan Smith who were part of the Leeds Champions League side of 2001.

Ferdinand is leaving Manchester United after 12-years at Old Trafford after joining them from Leeds in a £30 million deal.

Smith was released by League One side MK Dons. The 33-year-old made 29 appearances for MK Dons last season but it wasn`t enough to earn him a new deal.

Also at MK Dons, Ryan Hall has been released just three-months after joining them on a short-term deal, ending a turbulent season for Hall. The winger started the season at Leeds but he was released in the autumn after being suspended by the club following comments made on his twitter account. Hall had been on loan at Sheffield United when he made the comments and following his release by Leeds, he spent time in non-league football with Bromley. He made 11 appearances for the Dons during his three months with the club.

Frazer Richardson has been released by Middlesbrough just twelve months after joining the northeast club. The defender made just eleven appearances for Middlesbrough, his last coming at Elland Road in November and he spent the second half of the season on loan at Ipswich Town.

Doncaster Rovers have released Billy Paynter after two-years at the Keepmoat. He managed just one goal in 25 appearances last season, ironically coming against Leeds in the League Cup back in August. He spent the second half of the season on loan at League One side Sheffield United where he failed to score in 13 appearances.

Also being released so far this summer the following players have all played for Leeds at some time during their careers.

Danny Webber (Accrington Stanley), Martin Woods (Barnsley), Tony Warner (Blackpool), Andy Hughes (Charlton Athletic), Paul Connolly (Crawley Town), Andy Keogh and Shane Lowry (Millwall), Enoch Showunmi (Notts County) and David Prutton (Sheffield Wednesday).

Read more: http://www.leeds.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=359331#ixzz326CzxDWS
Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

Promotion 2010

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #812 på: Mai 25, 2014, 19:22:04 »
Sitat
. Armfield receives World Cup medal  

BBC broadcaster Jimmy Armfield will receive a World Cup winner's medal 43 years after England won the trophy.
The former Blackpool and England defender was one of the 11 reserves who did not play in the 4-2 win over West Germany at Wembley in 1966.
"It's nice to get it but I can't say it's something that's been bothering me all these years," said the 73-year-old.
Before the 1974 World Cup only players who started in the final received a medal, but Fifa has changed the rules.
Fifa also revealed that 14 additional medals would be made for each of the winning teams from 1930 to 1970.

"These days everybody gets a medal, the kit man, the bus driver, they all get one"
Jimmy Armfield

Armfield was capped 43 times by England and also managed Bolton and Leeds. More recently Armfield has worked as a football analyst for the BBC.
He captained England 15 times and won the last of his caps against Finland two weeks before the start of the 1966 finals.
"If you didn't play in the final, whether through injury or not getting selected, you didn't get a medal - it was as simple as that," said Armfield.
"But these days everybody gets a medal, the kit man, the bus driver, they all get one.
"And I think that's why this has happened. It's not as if anyone has been pressuring Fifa to have it done, it is just being brought into line with how it is nowadays." (BBC)  

Sitat
   ARMFIELD IN THROAT CANCER BATTLE

Former England captain Jimmy Armfield is battling throat cancer.
Armfield, 71, revealed he has undergone chemotherapy for non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.

Armfield, a BBC Radio Five Live pundit, told BBC Radio Lancashire: "The prognosis is good, although I'm suffering from the side-affects of chemo and I'm not able to work.
"Generally, I'm very positive about the future."
Armfield, awarded an OBE in 2000, managed Bolton and Leeds, guiding the Yorkshire club to the European Cup final in 1975 when they lost out to Bayern Munich.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Armfield

PA Sport

Glen Letheran:

The following season, 1975/76, Leeds were preparing to face Manchester United at Elland Road and David Harvey would miss the game,

“Billy Bremner pulled me aside in training and told me that I would be playing.  I was overjoyed and telephoned my parents with the news but when the team sheet was pinned to the board, my name wasn’t on it. I was gutted”.

Glan confronted Armfield who told him that Billy didn’t pick the team, he did,

“There was a standing joke at the club that Jimmy’s indecision was final!”

;)
« Siste redigering: Mai 25, 2014, 19:25:06 av Promotion 2010 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #813 på: Juni 09, 2014, 00:24:18 »
Underholdning

Og det ble faktisk fotballunderholdning i Manchester. Verdenslaget vant 4-2 over England. Seedorf scoret hat trick, mens Westlife-medlem Nicky Byrne laget verdenslagets fjerde mål.

http://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/internasjonal-fotball/her-takler-mourinho-x-factor-artisten/a/23225783/

Nicky Byrne var en svært talentfull spiller i yngre avdelinger før han ble medlem av boybandet Westlife.

« Siste redigering: Juni 09, 2014, 00:27:57 av Promotion 2010 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #814 på: Juni 25, 2014, 23:38:04 »
Trener Alex Sabella får seg en sprut i dagens VM-kamp:

http://www.tv2.no/v/824950/

:)
Min første Leeds-kamp:

auren

« Svar #815 på: Juni 26, 2014, 13:44:18 »
http://www.teamtalk.com/hull-city/9361954/Transfer-news-Hull-City-agree-fee-for-Norwich-winger-Robert-Snodgrass

Snoddy på vei til Hull. Håper vi har en solid vidersalgsklausul…

auren
"Guardiola said: 'You know more about Barcelona than I do!'"
Marcelo Bielsa, 16.01.19, etter Spygate-foredraget sitt.

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #816 på: Juni 29, 2014, 16:47:25 »
Irish_Leeds ‏@Irish_Leeds  · 5m 
Neil Sullivan still at #lufc as coach so rumours he is gone or has turned a role down are not true!

Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Promotion 2010

« Svar #817 på: Juni 30, 2014, 22:20:11 »
Nathan Turner til Bradford Park Avenue, utenfor ligasystemet.

http://tc1.bpafc.com/turner-signs/?
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #818 på: Juni 30, 2014, 22:44:26 »
Casper A med ny kontrakt med Brighton en måned etter at han ble released!

http://www.leeds.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=362332

;D
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #819 på: Juli 02, 2014, 21:53:43 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #821 på: Juli 05, 2014, 19:42:08 »
« Siste redigering: Juli 05, 2014, 19:43:58 av Asbjørn »
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Promotion 2010

« Svar #822 på: Juli 05, 2014, 21:57:49 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #823 på: Juli 09, 2014, 22:53:49 »
Gøy bilde av Sabella sammen med Ardilles og Villa i London fra tiden etter VM i 1978.

http://awkwardfootballphotoshoots.tumblr.com/post/33223446565/ossie-ardiles-claudio-marangoni-alex-sabella-and

:)
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #824 på: Juli 09, 2014, 23:38:59 »
Husker du stortalentet Elliott Kebbe?

Rovers trial for former Leeds and Madrid youngster

Doncaster Rovers are giving a trial to former Leeds United and Athletico Madrid youngster Elliott Kebbie.

Kebbie is a free agent after being released by Premier League side Hull City at the end of the season after he joined the tigers on a short-term deal in January.

The 19-year-old was tipped for bright future during his time at Leeds before he turned down a scholarship with the club to join Spanish side Athletico Madrid in 2011 after his family moved to Spain.

Kebbie made his Rovers debut in a 2-0 friendly win at Bradford Park Avenue on Wednesday night in a game that also featured trial it's Peter Clarke, Jon Otsemobor and James Bailey.

Read more: http://www.doncaster.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=363133#ixzz370f43eyE
Min første Leeds-kamp:

4ever arcticwhite

« Svar #825 på: Juli 10, 2014, 08:57:36 »
Var ikke klar over det før nå i dag, men Alejandro (Alex) Sabella, treneren til Argentina, har en fortid på Elland Road.

Spilte for klubben i 80-81, 23 kamper og 2 mål.

Vi gratulerer med plass i VM-finalen for en av "vårres kara"
The future's so White I've got to wear shades 8)

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #826 på: Juli 11, 2014, 00:07:31 »
...gadd ikke opprette ny tråd, så plasserer det her.
VG-Svegaarden (City-fan) i en av kveldens tweeter:

Knut E. Svegaarden @VGSvea     Â·   35m   
Storbritannias beste midtbanespiller siste 50 år: Johnny Giles. Måtte bare ha det ut. Beste angriper: George Best. Ingen av dem spilte VM.

Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

B_Ød

« Svar #827 på: Juli 11, 2014, 15:23:55 »
We are hearing that Bournemouth are closing in on the signing of former Leeds winger Max Gradel. Gra
Ups & Ups!!

ollan

« Svar #828 på: Juli 11, 2014, 15:51:53 »
We are hearing that Bournemouth are closing in on the signing of former Leeds winger Max Gradel. Gra
kilde??

Ollan
Marching On Together
Ollan

Promotion 2010

« Svar #829 på: Juli 12, 2014, 09:43:44 »
Cultured feet which never truly settled in Leeds mire

Published: 12 July 2014

Alex Sabella (Varley Picture Agency)

By Phil Hay

WHILE it would be stretching a point to say Alejandro ‘Alex’ Sabella was made in Leeds, the make-up of the coach inspiring Argentina’s dream – and Brazil’s worst nightmare – has a sliver of worldliness gained at United.

The hair is wispy and grey these days and the boyish features have gone – no longer the “good-looking lad” Allan Clarke recalls – but Sabella is recognisable still.

With no underdog in the fight in tomorrow’s World Cup final, some in Yorkshire will see him as a reason to align themselves with Argentina.

It is a tenuous link as links go. Sabella passed through Elland Road quickly and quietly, a silky midfielder who some of United’s supporters can just about remember.

Brian Flynn, a team-mate of his at the time, thinks Sabella would be a household name in Leeds had he hung around long enough for his reputation to spread. The relationship was far more fleeting.

“He was good enough to be a Leeds legend,” Flynn says. “I really mean that. His technical skills, his balance and his running were – as far as I saw – exceptional. He had a magnificent left foot and a pretty complete game. Over four of five years he’d have grown into a star.”

Born in Buenos Aires in 1954, Sabella was 7,000 miles from home in Yorkshire. Sheffield United were first to sign him, bringing him to England from River Plate during a transfer saga which became apocryphal over the years.

The story went that Sheffield United wanted Diego Maradona but fell £40,000 short of his valuation (the true figure was far higher). Sabella carried a more affordable price and was signed in 1978. He made people sit up at Bramall Lane – “above our level in all honesty,” as one of the club’s other players once put it – but could not negate the mediocrity around him.

His move to Leeds in 1980 was as much down to him as it was United’s manager, Jimmy Adamson.

Sunderland bid £600,000 for Sabella, but were offering him a career in the Second Division. In a higher league, Leeds suited him better – and Yorkshire had become a happy home, for the 25-year-old at least.

“Yorkshire’s a hospitable place and he was settled here,” Flynn recalls. “You didn’t get the sense of someone who was homesick or out of his comfort zone.

“He was very quiet, unassuming, but he’d get in for work early and do his thing without ever moaning. I’d say he was pretty content.”

The recurring theme among those who played with Sabella is that they liked him immensely.

“He’d done extremely well at Sheffield United,” Eddie Gray says. “The impression we had was that he’d been a bit of a hero down there.

“At the time there was a South American guy, Danny Bergara, who was bringing players like Alex across to England. He was a long way from home but the bigger problem for him was the football we played at the time. The style we adopted wasn’t made for a lad with Alex’s ability.”

In their own way, Leeds were as stagnant as Sheffield United.

Adamson was sacked within months of signing Sabella and with Clarke appointed as his replacement, United danced with relegation constantly. In an infertile environment for cultured feet, Sabella played 26 times and scored twice before leaving for Estudiantes and his native Argentina for £120,000.

“We were struggling in the league,” Flynn says. “It’s that old story – in difficult times, you do what needs to be done.

“This isn’t a criticism of the manager (Clarke) but with him it was completely different to Jimmy Adamson.

“We became more defensive and our tactics were all about getting results – which in fairness was the right policy.

“For a time it worked, but someone like Alex wasn’t going to fit into that. When you’re in relegation battles, sublime skill tends to get lost.”

Clarke remembers the situation differently. “I wanted to keep Alex,” he says. “He was a quality player, quite a special talent, and I think he was okay in England.

“He couldn’t speak a word of English when he came here but he taught himself the lingo at Sheffield United and that probably tells a story about how much he wanted things to work out.

“But he came to me one day and told me that his wife wasn’t settled. She was finding it tough. I thought straight away about a lesson I learned under our old manager, Don Revie – if you don’t have a happy wife, you don’t have a happy player.

“So I looked to get him back to Argentina and we did a deal with Estudiantes. That’s how football goes.”

Sabella left in January 1982 and few, if any, of his former Leeds team-mates have had contact with him since.

Flynn attempted to meet up with him in London recently but found that Sabella’s job as Argentina coach had predictably packed his diary.

“He’s got a bit on his plate these days,” Flynn jokes.

If Argentina beat Germany at the Maracana tomorrow night – an ambush in the back yard of their wounded Brazilian neighbours – he will have a World Cup on his CV too.

“In all honestly, I never saw him becoming a manager,” Flynn says. “I’m not entirely sure why but maybe I wondered if he was too talented to put up with coaching. When you’ve got the ability he had, football comes easily. Getting 20-odd players together and creating a team who win game after game is a different ball-game altogether. Even Maradona discovered that when he coached Argentina but Alex has risen to it. I’ll be quietly rooting for him tomorrow
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #830 på: Juli 12, 2014, 21:54:50 »
@jamie_ashdown is on trial at doncaster #lufc
Min første Leeds-kamp:

sportcarl1

« Svar #831 på: Juli 12, 2014, 22:57:46 »
Cultured feet which never truly settled in Leeds mire

Published: 12 July 2014

Alex Sabella (Varley Picture Agency)

By Phil Hay

WHILE it would be stretching a point to say Alejandro ‘Alex’ Sabella was made in Leeds, the make-up of the coach inspiring Argentina’s dream – and Brazil’s worst nightmare – has a sliver of worldliness gained at United.

The hair is wispy and grey these days and the boyish features have gone – no longer the “good-looking lad” Allan Clarke recalls – but Sabella is recognisable still.

With no underdog in the fight in tomorrow’s World Cup final, some in Yorkshire will see him as a reason to align themselves with Argentina.

It is a tenuous link as links go. Sabella passed through Elland Road quickly and quietly, a silky midfielder who some of United’s supporters can just about remember.

Brian Flynn, a team-mate of his at the time, thinks Sabella would be a household name in Leeds had he hung around long enough for his reputation to spread. The relationship was far more fleeting.

“He was good enough to be a Leeds legend,” Flynn says. “I really mean that. His technical skills, his balance and his running were – as far as I saw – exceptional. He had a magnificent left foot and a pretty complete game. Over four of five years he’d have grown into a star.”

Born in Buenos Aires in 1954, Sabella was 7,000 miles from home in Yorkshire. Sheffield United were first to sign him, bringing him to England from River Plate during a transfer saga which became apocryphal over the years.

The story went that Sheffield United wanted Diego Maradona but fell £40,000 short of his valuation (the true figure was far higher). Sabella carried a more affordable price and was signed in 1978. He made people sit up at Bramall Lane – “above our level in all honesty,” as one of the club’s other players once put it – but could not negate the mediocrity around him.

His move to Leeds in 1980 was as much down to him as it was United’s manager, Jimmy Adamson.

Sunderland bid £600,000 for Sabella, but were offering him a career in the Second Division. In a higher league, Leeds suited him better – and Yorkshire had become a happy home, for the 25-year-old at least.

“Yorkshire’s a hospitable place and he was settled here,” Flynn recalls. “You didn’t get the sense of someone who was homesick or out of his comfort zone.

“He was very quiet, unassuming, but he’d get in for work early and do his thing without ever moaning. I’d say he was pretty content.”

The recurring theme among those who played with Sabella is that they liked him immensely.

“He’d done extremely well at Sheffield United,” Eddie Gray says. “The impression we had was that he’d been a bit of a hero down there.

“At the time there was a South American guy, Danny Bergara, who was bringing players like Alex across to England. He was a long way from home but the bigger problem for him was the football we played at the time. The style we adopted wasn’t made for a lad with Alex’s ability.”

In their own way, Leeds were as stagnant as Sheffield United.

Adamson was sacked within months of signing Sabella and with Clarke appointed as his replacement, United danced with relegation constantly. In an infertile environment for cultured feet, Sabella played 26 times and scored twice before leaving for Estudiantes and his native Argentina for £120,000.

“We were struggling in the league,” Flynn says. “It’s that old story – in difficult times, you do what needs to be done.

“This isn’t a criticism of the manager (Clarke) but with him it was completely different to Jimmy Adamson.

“We became more defensive and our tactics were all about getting results – which in fairness was the right policy.

“For a time it worked, but someone like Alex wasn’t going to fit into that. When you’re in relegation battles, sublime skill tends to get lost.”

Clarke remembers the situation differently. “I wanted to keep Alex,” he says. “He was a quality player, quite a special talent, and I think he was okay in England.

“He couldn’t speak a word of English when he came here but he taught himself the lingo at Sheffield United and that probably tells a story about how much he wanted things to work out.

“But he came to me one day and told me that his wife wasn’t settled. She was finding it tough. I thought straight away about a lesson I learned under our old manager, Don Revie – if you don’t have a happy wife, you don’t have a happy player.

“So I looked to get him back to Argentina and we did a deal with Estudiantes. That’s how football goes.”

Sabella left in January 1982 and few, if any, of his former Leeds team-mates have had contact with him since.

Flynn attempted to meet up with him in London recently but found that Sabella’s job as Argentina coach had predictably packed his diary.

“He’s got a bit on his plate these days,” Flynn jokes.

If Argentina beat Germany at the Maracana tomorrow night – an ambush in the back yard of their wounded Brazilian neighbours – he will have a World Cup on his CV too.

“In all honestly, I never saw him becoming a manager,” Flynn says. “I’m not entirely sure why but maybe I wondered if he was too talented to put up with coaching. When you’ve got the ability he had, football comes easily. Getting 20-odd players together and creating a team who win game after game is a different ball-game altogether. Even Maradona discovered that when he coached Argentina but Alex has risen to it. I’ll be quietly rooting for him tomorrow

har följt klubben sean början på 70talet, sabella och cantona är väl utan tvekan de största missarna klubben gjort, klubben förstod inte deras storhet, hoffball gällde tyvär

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #832 på: Juli 26, 2014, 17:59:49 »

Joo, med fasit i hånd, jeg troor jeg hadde kjent ham igjen. :)
Hvem?
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Hallgeir *

« Svar #833 på: Juli 26, 2014, 18:26:36 »
Bobby Davidson?
Super Leeds since 1968

Promotion 2010

« Svar #834 på: Juli 26, 2014, 19:10:08 »
Imre Varadi  :)
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #835 på: Juli 26, 2014, 19:13:00 »
Gutter, da... Var den såå vanskelig? :o

Jeg venter litt med å gi hint
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

DOFFER

« Svar #836 på: Juli 26, 2014, 19:25:30 »
Tony Dorigo
We love you Leeds! Leeds! Leeds!

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #837 på: Juli 26, 2014, 19:27:45 »
Tony Dorigo
Right you are :)

En selfie plukket fra twitter :)
Han lurte på hvor han er :)
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

sportcarl1

« Svar #838 på: Juli 26, 2014, 19:37:13 »
Tony Dorigo
Right you are :)

En selfie plukket fra twitter :)
Han lurte på hvor han er :)
köpenhamn, prag?

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #839 på: August 03, 2014, 12:51:27 »
Michael Gray blir 40 i dag.
"Welcome to the Club" skriver Lucy Ward i tweeten og jeg tror at han har kommet tilbake til oss, i en trenerrolle el.lign.... Før jeg kobler og antar hun mener "40-åringsklubben"... :)
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan