Skrevet av Emne: EX assisterende head-coach: Steve Thompson  (Lest 36756 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Promotion 2010

EX assisterende head-coach: Steve Thompson
« på: Desember 18, 2014, 14:21:21 »
BREAKING: We are delighted to confirm the appointment of Steve Thompson as the new assistant head coach. #lufc http://t.co/QmPiKhx4F6
« Siste redigering: Juli 02, 2015, 18:00:10 av Promotion 2010 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

Kato

Sv: Ny assisterende head coach: Steve Thompson
« Svar #1 på: Desember 18, 2014, 14:27:22 »
På tide

Josch

« Svar #2 på: Desember 18, 2014, 18:10:19 »
Noen som vet hva han står for?  Er han flink til å tette forsvar ?????

Gufrias

« Svar #3 på: Desember 18, 2014, 20:06:30 »
Kommer fra Huddersfield, så sannsynligvis ikke...
Hekta på Leeds siden 1974

Promotion 2010

« Svar #4 på: Desember 18, 2014, 22:03:42 »
Thompson takes "giant" step to wake Leeds from their slumbers

Neil Redfearn says Steve Thompson was his first choice for the assistant's job

First published 3 hours ago in Leeds
 by Simon Parker, Bradford City Reporter

LEEDS are the “biggest sleeping giant in football”, according to new number two SteveThompson.

The former Huddersfield coach will join Neil Redfearn in the dug-out for the first time at Nottingham Forest on Saturday. His contract is until the end of the season with an option for next term.

Thompson said: “Leeds are the original sleeping giant.

“People mention it about other clubs and all that but this is the one with the support.

“They get fantastic support, you’ve got a chairman that is hopefully going to back us and we’ve got these young lads coming through as well.

“We want the players to make life-changing money and hopefully it’s with Leeds.

“When someone wants you – and it’s Leeds United – it’s just a great opportunity to work for this fantastic club.”

Thompson was with Blackpool when they went up to the Premier League and Redfearn, who confirmed he was “always his number one choice” for the role, said: “He knows how to get promoted and how to do it out of this division."

Redfearn has also spoken to Massimo Cellino about January transfer targets, even though the club are currently under a Football League embargo.

Stephen Warnock has trained this week and should be okay for the trip to the City Ground. But there are major doubts with Rodolph Austin and Giuseppe Bellusci.

Leeds have won only once away from home this season – a 3-1 success at high-flying Bournemouth back in mid-September.

Redfearn, whose side suffered a disappointing 1-0 home defeat against Fulham last weekend, said: “In football you’ve got to move on to the next game.

“You’ve got to make sure you go and give a good account of yourselves and get a result. It’s what we’ve been working on all week.”

Following a run on six games without a win on the road, Redfearn admits he may look to alter the way his team’s formation away from home, starting with the visit to ninth-placed Forest.

“They’re a good side, they had a great start to the season,” he said.

“They were running away with it at one point and then they had a bit of a blip.

“But the potential is there for them to go on a run.

“We’ve been working on one or two different things during the week – how we’re going to look and what we’re going to do – but I still want to have our DNA in it.

“It’s still got to have the way that we play in it. The lads have taken to it during the week and have looked quite bright in what we’re doing.

“We’ve got a good game to look forward to on Saturday against Forest, they’re a good side. It’s a big club and it’s a real opportunity to try and put our away form right.”
Min første Leeds-kamp:

enur

« Svar #5 på: Desember 20, 2014, 19:06:42 »
Ny caretaker-manager før vi runder 2015?

Marching on together

Promotion 2010

« Svar #6 på: Desember 20, 2014, 19:07:59 »
Ny caretaker-manager før vi runder 2015?

:D
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Andersen

« Svar #7 på: Desember 20, 2014, 20:58:37 »
 :)

Josch

« Svar #8 på: Desember 20, 2014, 22:10:32 »
Thompson var med mot Forest i dag. Hva var nytt rent taktisk, og hadde Thompson en finger med i dette??

-Sharp spilte. Han gjør nok en bedre jobb bakover enn Doukara.
-Langsomt finspill bakover og på tvers var fraværende i dag. Noe mer direkte angrpsspill og lange baller preget kampen.
-Rutine: Morison og Tonge kom inn for å berge ett poeng. Sharp startet 8)

Kato

« Svar #9 på: Februar 02, 2015, 13:37:53 »
Denne karen har gått under radaren. Resultatene er blitt merkbart bedre etter at han entret klubben.

Kan det være en medvirkende årsak til at vi er i bedring?

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #10 på: Februar 02, 2015, 13:39:27 »
Denne karen har gått under radaren. Resultatene er blitt merkbart bedre etter at han entret klubben.

Jeg har lenge tenkt tanken, å underbygge det med 'facts' er verre :)
(bortsett fra upsurge i resultatene, da) :)
Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Sydhagen

« Svar #11 på: Februar 02, 2015, 13:40:26 »

Virker tryggere defensivt ivertfall. Har vel noe med formasjonen å gjøre. Nå får backene mer støtte bakover.
"Paynter, a striker whose danger factor is akin to a blind sniper, who has no fingers, or a gun."

lojosang

Sv:
« Svar #12 på: Februar 02, 2015, 13:58:07 »
Kan umulig være en ulempe å ha mer enn en mann i trenerapparatet. :-)
- Leif Olav

Promotion 2010

« Svar #13 på: Februar 14, 2015, 09:26:10 »
Ikke overraskende at Leeds har en oppsving av resultater etter at Thompson har kommet inn som assisterende headcoach. Den defensive organiseringen er blitt bedre og ikke minst at noen enkeltspillere har kommet frem fra skyggen.

Fra YEP:
"Murphy has plenty of quiet admirers – not least Steve Thompson, Redfearn’s assistant – and has done from the start."

Videre ser vi bra arbeid av såvel Morison som Wooton.

De går godt tospann både Redfearn og Thompson.  :)
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Leedsfan

« Svar #14 på: Februar 14, 2015, 15:27:29 »
I scored 24 goals helping my side win promotion back to the Premier League aged just 22. Then in my first season in the top flight I had bagged an impressive 15 goals by the end of January. My form earned me an England call-up. Am I a £35m striker? No. I am Michael Ricketts, February 2002.

Sydhagen

"Paynter, a striker whose danger factor is akin to a blind sniper, who has no fingers, or a gun."

Promotion 2010

« Svar #16 på: Februar 20, 2015, 10:37:44 »
Litt mer om perioden Redfearn styrte businessen alene, om Murphy og samarbeidet mellom Referanse og Thompson.

Leeds United: Thompson’s input proving invaluable

Steve Thompson
Updated on the
20 February
09:07
Published 20/02/2015 06:10

A training ground tete-a-tete between Luke Murphy and Steve Thompson seems to have been the catalyst for a transformation in fortunes for a player almost at the end of his tether. Phil Hay reports.

The development league game between Leeds United and Sheffield United three days before Christmas was not staged for Luke Murphy’s benefit. More heed was given to Brian Montenegro, the scorer of two goals in a 4-1 win.

The only observer who took an interest in Murphy’s involvement, or one of the few, was Steve Thompson. Newly installed as assistant to Leeds head coach Neil Redfearn, Thompson collared Murphy at full-time, walked him round the pitch and asked him where it all went wrong.

The answers he received are staying between them but Thompson caught the midfielder “on a downer”; deflated by the realisation that his £1million transfer to Leeds from Crewe Alexandra had been so unsuccessful it had virtually failed. At that stage Murphy was estranged from the first team and training with the Under-21s.

Thompson sympathised with everyone concerned. He sympathised with a player he rated and with a head coach in Redfearn who, in the weeks before Leeds brought Thompson on board, was trying to single-handedly manage a squad of 30-plus. Redfearn told several seniors to work with the development squad because there were too many of them.

“Neil on his own can’t look after 30 or 40 players,” Thompson said. “How he did that and how he held the fort, I don’t know. I’m another pair of eyes and having been a midfielder myself, Murphy looked similar to me – a ball player with an eye for goal.

“When I first came he was nowhere near the first team. I saw him in an Under-21 game. He’s a player I’ve always liked so I asked him ‘what’s gone wrong?’ We had a good chat, a little walk around the pitch and I tried to put some confidence back in him.

“He wasn’t enjoying it here. He wasn’t in or even around the first team and he said things to me that I won’t tell you but he needed an arm around him, a bit of confidence and a bit of belief. We gave him the responsibility and threw him in at Sunderland. Well, not threw him in. That’s the wrong way to put it. He’d earned the right to play again. And since then he’s grown into himself.”

Murphy’s transformation in the space of two months has been astounding; from the fringes of the transfer list to the centre of Redfearn’s midfield. Speaking to the club’s official programme last weekend, the 25-year-old said his recall for United’s FA Cup tie at Sunderland was “a surprise” and “unexpected”.

He spoke honestly about the demoralising effect of training with United’s development players – “with no disrespect, it wasn’t where I wanted to be” – and said Thompson’s influence was “first class.” In return for his effort, Thompson has received messages of thanks direct from Murphy’s family.

The input, nonetheless, has been two-way. With Murphy in their line-up, Leeds have taken 14 points from their last seven league games; promotion form were the Championship season not so far advanced. The club travel to league leaders Middlesbrough tomorrow with a relaxed spring in their step.

Murphy looks more content too. The past two months have freed him of the albatross created by his £1m transfer fee. Both Redfearn and Thompson agree that his price was a hindrance, primarily because of the attention is caused.

“The lad can’t dictate what money people pay for him,” Thompson said, “but they put a £1m tag on him for a reason – because he’s a good player.

“Sometimes it takes time to get going and if you’re not in the team or not doing well, the fans get on your back but Murph’s risen above that. Players show their disappointment in various ways. Some of them can be complex. But the way he’s handled himself has been fantastic.

“He’s one of these players who always wants the ball and when he’s on the ball, he can make us play. The good thing is that I still think there’s a lot more to come from him. He’s well capable of playing in the Premier League, and so are others in the team. I mean that.”

It is acknowledged by more people than Murphy that Thompson’s presence at Thorp Arch has made a difference. Redfearn cut a lonely figure in the seven weeks it took Leeds to prise Thompson away from his previous coaching role at Huddersfield Town, left to work without an assistant, but the pair have known each other for years, going back to their days as youth-team players at Bolton Wanderers in the early 1980s.

“Being two midfielders who played together, I know what Neil’s weaknesses are,” Thompson joked. “But me being here means there’s another opinion, another man at the coalface.

“It’s got to be hard when you go back into your office after training with no-one to speak to. I’d like to think I’ve been a big help to Neil. We’re a good team, put it that way, and we all want the same thing. We trust each other. I don’t think you’ll get a harder-working pair.”

By the end of Thompson’s second week in the job, Leeds were in grave trouble; beaten away at Derby County and a point above the Championship relegation places. It was then that Redfearn decided to abandon his diamond midfield and take on a formation which allowed room for Murphy and gave an equally rare opportunity to Steve Morison up front.

“Back then we knew where we needed work and we knew what our problems were,” Thompson said. “We shored the team up and gradually we got a system that suits us. People went on about the diamond but you play a system which suits. At the same time, you have to realise that teams will watch you and try to stop you playing so you also need a plan B.

“We’ve got a happy balance at the moment without being the finished article and what we want is the players to get out and express themselves. If you make a mistake, so what? As long as we see a reaction that’s okay. We can work on things they’re not good at but we like to play football in a certain way. Our system’s showing that.”

Leeds, in Thompson’s view, have “nothing to fear” about other clubs in the Championship. They might think that they have little to fear about Middlesbrough. United beat Boro at Elland Road on the second weekend of the season and have already accounted for two others league leaders – Derby County and Bournemouth twice. Were Thompson a betting man, and if the rules allowed it, he might be tempted by Leeds at odds of 6/1.

“We need to stay in the game first and foremost and then look for the goals we’ve got in our team,” he said.

“You respect every team and you take nothing for granted but the players should know now that if we play well, we’ve nothing to fear from anyone. We can match anyone on our day and no-one’s going to walk away with this division. That’s obvious now.”
« Siste redigering: Februar 20, 2015, 10:41:07 av Promotion 2010 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Jon R

« Svar #17 på: Februar 20, 2015, 12:46:15 »
Har vi skutt gullfuglen med Thompson?
Jon R.

Promotion 2010

« Svar #18 på: Februar 20, 2015, 15:04:03 »

Mulig det, men jeg lurer på hvorfor man i Leeds ikke bruker en idrettspsykolog som kan følge opp spillerne. Er det feigt, er det juks eller er det mangel på toppidrettskompetanse? 

En Thompson kan vel bare bli en halvstudert røver, mens ekspertisen er en mangelvare. Tror man fortsatt på fysioens varme hender og "a halftime cuppa" som rimelige løsninger.

Hvor er det blitt av:

- klubblegen
- klubbpresten (eller imamen)
- idrettspsykologen
- det dyktige medisinske apparatet (vi har vært bekymret for oppfølgingen av Doukara og Walters i kamper)

...som man alltid hadde med seg før?
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Jon R

« Svar #19 på: Februar 20, 2015, 15:15:42 »

Mulig det, men jeg lurer på hvorfor man i Leeds ikke bruker en idrettspsykolog som kan følge opp spillerne. Er det feigt, er det juks eller er det mangel på toppidrettskompetanse? 

En Thompson kan vel bare bli en halvstudert røver, mens ekspertisen er en mangelvare. Tror man fortsatt på fysioens varme hender og "a halftime cuppa" som rimelige løsninger.

Hvor er det blitt av:

- klubblegen
- idrettspsykologen
- det dyktige medisinske apparatet (vi har vært bekymret for oppfølgingen av Doukara og Walters i kamper)

Jeg har ikke noen stor innsikt i hvordan det så ut tidligere men mitt inntrykk fra i sommer er at det er nettopp den "gjengen" du beskriver der som langt på vei ble barbert vekk av MC i sommer.
Jon R.

p0ndus

• Gjest
« Svar #20 på: Februar 20, 2015, 15:28:25 »
Får faktisk lettere positive frysninger av og lese innleggene i denne tråden. MOT

Runar

« Svar #21 på: Februar 20, 2015, 15:50:59 »

Hvor er det blitt av:

- klubblegen
- idrettspsykologen

Jeg har ikke noen stor innsikt i hvordan det så ut tidligere men mitt inntrykk fra i sommer er at det er nettopp den "gjengen" du beskriver der som langt på vei ble barbert vekk av MC i sommer.

Den sportslige ekspertisen i Leeds har ikke vært spesielt imponerende så lenge jeg har vært supporter, har vel ikke inntrykk av at de under har vært noen eksperter på sitt felt.

Husker han som var med å designet Torp Arch og var fysio i Leeds ble hentet av Mourinho når Leeds gikk ned i 2004.

Leeds har vel ikke på noe tid sett ut som en klubb som vektlegger spillerlogistikk, fysisk utvikling og analyse. Mulig det er verre nå enn det har vært tidligere, men det ser marginalt ut.

Håper at klubben kan utvikle seg og komme i forkant på noen områder etter hvert. Spesielt i forhold til Championship

- klubblegen
- idrettspsykologen

ibster

« Svar #22 på: Februar 20, 2015, 16:35:53 »

Hvor er det blitt av:

- klubblegen
- idrettspsykologen

Den sportslige ekspertisen i Leeds har ikke vært spesielt imponerende så lenge jeg har vært supporter, har vel ikke inntrykk av at de under har vært noen eksperter på sitt felt.

Husker han som var med å designet Torp Arch og var fysio i Leeds ble hentet av Mourinho når Leeds gikk ned i 2004.

Leeds har vel ikke på noe tid sett ut som en klubb som vektlegger spillerlogistikk, fysisk utvikling og analyse. Mulig det er verre nå enn det har vært tidligere, men det ser marginalt ut.

Håper at klubben kan utvikle seg og komme i forkant på noen områder etter hvert. Spesielt i forhold til Championship

- klubblegen
- idrettspsykologen

Føyer gjerne til på listen din.. En analyseavdeling som kan fungere som:
- R&D / Moneyball / En slags førstelinje i speideravdelingen. FM-db'en er jo fritt tilgjengelig...
- Taktisk- og kampanalyse
- Treningsanalyse

EDIT: Fantastisk lesing om Thompson. Positive frysninger ja.
« Siste redigering: Februar 20, 2015, 16:38:41 av ibster »

Leedsgutt

« Svar #23 på: April 02, 2015, 14:04:32 »
Understand that #lufc assistant Steve Thompson has been suspended this morning. Have asked him and the club to comment.

Being told that in a letter, Thompson was told he's being suspended until the end of the season and option to retain him won't be taking up.

h.b

• Gjest
« Svar #24 på: April 02, 2015, 14:24:14 »
Hva pokker er det som skjer i klubben. Da er dagene over for Thompson i Leeds.

Rudi G.

• Gjest
« Svar #25 på: April 02, 2015, 14:30:23 »
Leeds United have suspended assistant manager Steve Thompson, it is understood.

Neil Redfearn’s number two was effectively removed from his role this morning amid signs of fresh unrest at Elland Road.

The former Blackpool coach has been in post for just 19 games but his future and that of Leeds’ head coach Redfearn have been the subject of heavy speculation recently.

Both men held contracts running to the end of this season and were awaiting offers of new deals.

Thompson is understood to have been told that the club do not plan to take up an option to renew his contract in the summer.

Redfearn remains in a job having taken training at Thorp Arch this morning.

Neither Leeds nor Thompson have responded to requests for comment but Redfearn is due to hold his weekly press conference later this afternoon.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-whites-news/leeds-united-assistant-manager-thompson-suspended-1-7190293

https://audioboom.com/boos/3048288-radio-yorkshires-lufc-commentator-mark-wilson-on-assistant-head-coach-steve-thompson-s-suspension

Cherry

« Svar #26 på: April 02, 2015, 15:51:49 »

Neil Redfearn’s number two was effectively removed from his role this morning amid signs of fresh unrest at Elland Road.

The former Blackpool coach has been in post for just 19 games but his future and that of Leeds’ head coach Redfearn have been the subject of heavy speculation recently.

Both men held contracts running to the end of this season and were awaiting offers of new deals.

Thompson is understood to have been told that the club do not plan to take up an option to renew his contract in the summer.

Neither Leeds nor Thompson have responded to requests for comment but Redfearn is due to hold his weekly press conference later this afternoon.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-whites-news/leeds-united-assistant-manager-thompson-suspended-1-7190293

https://audioboom.com/boos/3048288-radio-yorkshires-lufc-commentator-mark-wilson-on-assistant-head-coach-steve-thompson-s-suspension

Fy f... For en Sirkusklubb, og direktøren' selv sitter antagelig i Miami og spiller Bingo med trenere, coach og spillere som brikker og nummere.....
Her blir det full Balluba igjen, utrolig at det aldri blir ro og orden i klubben vår- men med en eier som i dag så kan vi vel ikke forvente annet.... ??? ::)

h.b

• Gjest
« Svar #27 på: April 02, 2015, 15:53:12 »

Fy f... For en Sirkusklubb, og direktøren' selv sitter antagelig i Miami og spiller Bingo med trenere, coach og spillere som brikker og nummere.....
Her blir det full Balluba igjen, utrolig at det aldri blir ro og orden i klubben vår- men med en eier som i dag så kan vi vel ikke forvente annet.... ??? ::)

Hvis Redfearn er fornuftig. Ja da sier han opp jobben

auren

« Svar #28 på: April 02, 2015, 16:29:27 »
Så dette på Facebook og håpet det var en link til i går - altså en aprilspøk. Dessverre er hver dag med denne klubben en aprilspøk… huff!

auren, oppgitt for n-te gang...
"Guardiola said: 'You know more about Barcelona than I do!'"
Marcelo Bielsa, 16.01.19, etter Spygate-foredraget sitt.

Blank_File

Sv: Sv: Ny assisterende head coach: Steve Thompson
« Svar #29 på: April 02, 2015, 16:35:16 »
Er det slutt for oss nå? Kan vi komme ut av hva enn vi ender opp i igjen nå? Lenge siden jeg har blitt utslått av en Leedsnyhet. Men hva med ordet suspendert? Hva menes med det?