Skrevet av Emne: Ex-headcoach: Garry Monk  (Lest 182406 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
Sv: Headcoach: Garry Monk
« Svar #330 på: Oktober 26, 2016, 19:25:32 »
Garry Monk explains where he has modified approach at Leeds from Swansea

Dan Coombs @hitcdancoombs   20 minutes ago

Leeds United boss says lack of preparation time has altered his pre-game approach.

Leeds United boss Garry Monk says he has had to reduce the amount of pre-game video analysis he does with his team, compared to in his previous role at Swansea City.

Speaking to TalkSPORT on Monday evening at 8pm, Monk explained that the quick turnaround time between matches in the Championship means less time is spent studying opponents.

He said that instead the video analysis work Leeds do carry out is mainly studying themselves, and areas in which they can improve.
Monk explained: "I've tapered it since I came to Leeds. We did a massive amount at Swansea, but you get more time.
"The best way to do it is on ourselves, not opposition. There is so much changeover of games, so little time to prepare for opposition.
"My message is around how are we going to prepare for games, of course I touch on who we play, strengths, weaknesses, but the main focus on what we do."

Last night Leeds played their fourth game in a fortnight since the international break, but the positive is that their opponents are in the same boat, unable to devote huge chunks of time to studying the opposition in great detail.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/10/25/garry-monk-explains-where-he-has-modified-approach-at-leeds-from/
Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Jon R

« Svar #331 på: Oktober 26, 2016, 22:20:26 »
Grundig, analytisk og målrettet arbeid gir resultater. Det defensive er langt på vei landet, både med og uten Pontus sentralt?

Nå må det jobbes like målrettet med det offensive spillet. Der har vi et stykke igjen. Knekker laget koden før nyttår er topp 6 svært sannsynlig i mai. Jeg tenker også "direkte opprykk ikke helt usannsynlig." Det er lov å drømme dere. Hva med 2 x Wembley våren 2017?  :)
Jon R.

Kato

« Svar #332 på: Oktober 26, 2016, 22:35:03 »
Grundig, analytisk og målrettet arbeid gir resultater. Det defensive er langt på vei landet, både med og uten Pontus sentralt?

Nå må det jobbes like målrettet med det offensive spillet. Der har vi et stykke igjen. Knekker laget koden før nyttår er topp 6 svært sannsynlig i mai. Jeg tenker også "direkte opprykk ikke helt usannsynlig." Det er lov å drømme dere. Hva med 2 x Wembley våren 2017?  :)

Hvor er det defensive landet uten Pontus? En ekstraomgang uten brølere er vel ikke nok til å lande det defensive. Siste erindring er etter 99 min i går hvor Oliveira på corner var så alene som Lars Monsen bruker å være.

Jon R

« Svar #333 på: Oktober 26, 2016, 23:28:02 »

Hvor er det defensive landet uten Pontus? En ekstraomgang uten brølere er vel ikke nok til å lande det defensive. Siste erindring er etter 99 min i går hvor Oliveira på corner var så alene som Lars Monsen bruker å være.

Med 10 mot 11i en helt ny forsvarskonstellasjon øker naturligvis sjansen for tellefeil betraktelig. Cooper etter 20 sek og Bartley x flere endrer ikke på hovedinntrykket. Selv med varianter av  spillere som knapt nok har spilt sammen før,  ser det bedre ut enn på mange år. Og jeg skrev " langt på vei"', samt ? etter Pontus, ikke at alt er i boks.
« Siste redigering: Oktober 26, 2016, 23:29:42 av Jon R »
Jon R.

Promotion 2010

« Svar #334 på: Oktober 27, 2016, 16:17:14 »
Leeds United: Hindsight backs up Monk’s predictions – Hay

Garry Monk. PHIL HAY 19:00Wednesday 26 October 2016 12 HAVE YOUR SAY

Garry Monk would say that this form and these results were always in the pipeline. He told us in the media that they were in the pipeline almost two months ago. He has hindsight to support him now but back then he projected an image only he could see: of a team with the capacity to average two points a game, as Leeds United have done for the past eight matches. It was September 12, the Monday after the club’s defeat to Huddersfield Town. The Monday after Monk let his guard drop in a post-match interview with the BBC, snapping at questions in a way he wished he hadn’t. At the end of a press conference before a league game against Blackburn Rovers, he sat and spoke with the journalists there, clearing the air and chewing the fat. Other coaches before him have done the same, usually when the walls were closing in. You get plain and brutal honesty in those chats; criticism, excuses and self-examination. Much of what’s said is exactly how you imagine they are feeling. The conversation was off the record and most of it should stay as such but in that environment Monk was free to speak as openly as he liked. He had four points from six games. He had a squad which many of us believed to be lacking in specific areas. And according to estimations of Massimo Cellino’s patience, he was as little as one defeat away from the sack (although people around Cellino always denied that the end was nigh). Those are the bewildering moments which beg the question of why the hell management appeals. What resonated about Monk was his refusal to blame anything; not his squad, not his budget, not the club’s recruitment and absolutely not Cellino. His attitude was this: a good team were hiding amongst a group of out-of-form players. All he wanted was to dig in for long enough for those players to find the form which made them realise that. “When they do we’ll be okay,” he said. There is something endearing about a manager who asks for nothing more than time. When the cameras were off, some of Monk’s predecessors vented about signings, individual players or Cellino’s influence. Some of those complaints were wholly legitimate. But it is hard to escape the conclusion that a fixation on perceived weaknesses must cloud a manager’s enthusiasm or enjoyment of his job. Had Monk devoted half-an-hour to explaining why the job was so unworkable, we’d have left Thorp Arch and started the countdown. So here Leeds are, League Cup quarter-finalists and 16 points later. Promotion form they will call it, although only four Championship clubs are averaging two points a game or better after 14 matches so that description is best reserved until Christmas. But this is what Monk promised as a start: a definite pattern of play, greater competence with the basics, and tactics which respect the percentages in this league. His squad have felt their way into the Championship, climbing to a standard which lets him send them out without sending a prayer up first. Football is never the end of the world but Monk was closer to it after Queens Park Rangers than he was after an injury-time concession to Wigan. In Leeds you see the traits of a team who have been coached and of a team who are happy. Of a team with no carcinogenic matter amongst them. The trick for Monk has been a pragmatic attitude and an acceptance of some short-term limits. He has done a good job of making his players understand those limits. There is a reason why so many fixtures are tight, attritional and settled by one goal: Leeds are not being asked to be something they aren’t or to do what they can’t. That is not to say that Monk’s side can’t play but a coherent defence and a responsible midfield lends itself to reliability. Hadi Sacko is able to be off the cuff and aggressively forward-thinking because the organisation behind him supports some unpredictability. What was obvious at the end of August was that Leeds could not afford to be unpredictable across the field. That mentality extends to Monk’s substitutions, the area of management which drew some criticism of him last week. Much as Monk likes to use his bench, he does not often use it for radical changes of tack or formation. In a sense he plays the odds and, as experience of the league tells us, there are points in a season where risk is more called for. But this, now, is a crucial phase, starting with Saturday’s game at home to Burton Albion. With due consideration of Burton’s results and impressive start, it is a fixture which Leeds should win, against a side who haven’t won away from home and who like to play three at the back. Leeds would certainly lament any points dropped. Full-time will clear the way for a period up to and over Christmas which promises to examine how far Monk’s squad can go: Norwich away, Newcastle at home, Aston Villa twice and Brighton at The Amex. Not to mention Brentford, Reading and Preston.Leeds are entering sheep-from-the-goats time and with so much of the Championship fused together, it is difficult know who is who. But some stoic work in the past two months must be making Monk think that this side can cut a full year in the Championship, and making him wonder what might happen if they do.

Read more at: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-hindsight-backs-up-monk-s-predictions-hay-1-8202871
Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

Sydhagen

« Svar #335 på: November 05, 2016, 19:25:50 »
Gi mannen 5-års kontrakt asap!
"Paynter, a striker whose danger factor is akin to a blind sniper, who has no fingers, or a gun."

Xern

« Svar #336 på: November 05, 2016, 19:46:38 »
Det blir dyrt den dagen Cellino garantert sparker ham  ??? Men forøvrig enig. Vi skal være utrolig glad vi har en så god trener for øyeblikket. Også får man håpe han forlenger kontrakten ved sesongslutt, da han bare har ettårskontrakt
Noen mennesker tror at fotball gjelder liv eller død. Jeg liker ikke den innstillingen. Det er atskillig mer alvorlig enn som så. - Bill Shankly

Jon R

« Svar #337 på: November 06, 2016, 16:03:13 »
Verden er rar dere. Monk ble avskrevet av mange så sent som september, nå vil vel enkelte snart reise en statue av han.  ;D

Wood, Ayling, O Keane, Bartley med flere. Monk virker å være en fantastisk man manager som får det beste ut av spillerne. Bøyer meg i hatten for hva Monk og hans menn har fått til siste par mnd.   :)
Jon R.

sportcarl1

« Svar #338 på: November 06, 2016, 22:30:51 »
han har väl drygt 1,62 i poäng snitt per match som manager i Leeds om man räknar ligamatcher, ännu bättreom man räknar in cupmatcher

RoarG

« Svar #339 på: November 07, 2016, 12:39:15 »
Kan sikkert ha litt mer is i magen.
"Jeg tror ikke på Gud, men etter Bielsas ansettelse må jeg nok revurdere", Roar Gustavsen, januar 2020

Josch

« Svar #340 på: November 08, 2016, 18:52:40 »
Hvis Monk gjør det "for bra" så frykter jeg at Leeds mister ham til en større klubb. Historien viser at Leeds ikke er større enn at både trenere og spillere forlater Leeds hvis det dukker opp et godt tilbud eller utfordring et annet sted. I min Leeds-tid har dette skjedd gang på gang. Cellino må friste Monk til bli selv om denne sesongen ender med play off. Det er neste sesong som gjelder.

RoarG

« Svar #341 på: November 08, 2016, 18:55:37 »
Hvis Monk gjør det "for bra" så frykter jeg at Leeds mister ham til en større klubb. Historien viser at Leeds ikke er større enn at både trenere og spillere forlater Leeds hvis det dukker opp et godt tilbud eller utfordring et annet sted. I min Leeds-tid har dette skjedd gang på gang. Cellino må friste Monk til bli selv om denne sesongen ender med play off. Det er neste sesong som gjelder.
En toårs-kontrakt f.o.m. juni '17 burde holde i første omgang.
"Jeg tror ikke på Gud, men etter Bielsas ansettelse må jeg nok revurdere", Roar Gustavsen, januar 2020

h.b

• Gjest
« Svar #342 på: November 08, 2016, 19:43:49 »

Det er alltids denne sesongen som gjhelder Ellers må vi bygge nytt, og så kommer denne om at det er neste sesong som gjelder. Direkte opprykk, eller så er sesongen misslykka

lojosang

« Svar #343 på: November 09, 2016, 00:48:36 »

Har noen henta manageren vår siden George Graham?
- Leif Olav

Nørgaard

« Svar #344 på: November 09, 2016, 12:38:24 »

Dennis Wise og Gus Poyet?

Runar

« Svar #345 på: November 09, 2016, 12:49:24 »

Hva er det for en ting å si?

Det er denne sesongen som gjelder. Må være mulig å ha to tanker i hodet samtidig, resultatene teller mest i dag. Målet for sesongen er opprykk og noe annet er pr definisjon mislykket.

Men skulle Leeds ikke klare målsetningen sier jeg ikke at hoder må rulle (som HB antyder), da må klubben sørge for å forsterke seg slik at den øke muligheten for å rykke opp påfølgende sesong.

lojosang

« Svar #346 på: November 09, 2016, 15:09:36 »

Dennis Wise og Gus Poyet?
Huff, Wise hadde jeg fortrengt. Der var vi heldige!
- Leif Olav

auren

Taktisk brøler av Monk å spille urutinerte og ustabile Vieira på sentral midt og Phillips i en posisjon han ikke mestrer offansivt? Phillips og O'Kane burde startet sentralt.

auren
"Guardiola said: 'You know more about Barcelona than I do!'"
Marcelo Bielsa, 16.01.19, etter Spygate-foredraget sitt.

Jon R

Sv: Rykter:Spillere inn og spillere ut.
« Svar #348 på: November 20, 2016, 16:41:47 »
Taktisk brøler av Monk å spille urutinerte og ustabile Vieira på sentral midt og Phillips i en posisjon han ikke mestrer offansivt? Phillips og O'Kane burde startet sentralt.

auren

Kanskje ingen brøler med forutsetningene vi hadde før kampen, men i etterpåklokskapens navn må det være lov til å si at midtbanen i første omgang var helt krise...
Jon R.

Xern

auren
Phillips gjorde jobben sin, det viser stats. For Vieira derimot ble oppgaven for stor. Men så hadde vi strengt tatt ikke stort mer å sette på banen? Er ikke lett uansett med 2 nøkkelspillere ute med skade.
Noen mennesker tror at fotball gjelder liv eller død. Jeg liker ikke den innstillingen. Det er atskillig mer alvorlig enn som så. - Bill Shankly

flynn

auren
Phillips gjorde jobben sin, det viser stats. For Vieira derimot ble oppgaven for stor. Men så hadde vi strengt tatt ikke stort mer å sette på banen? Er ikke lett uansett med 2 nøkkelspillere ute med skade.

Nei, men husk at Diagouraga og Murphy fortsatt er i klubben. Tror kanskje en av dem kunne gjort godt i dag, det får være måte på hvor mye man skal legge på skuldrene til tre ungsauer!

flynn

stian

auren

Nei, men husk at Diagouraga og Murphy fortsatt er i klubben. Tror kanskje en av dem kunne gjort godt i dag, det får være måte på hvor mye man skal legge på skuldrene til tre ungsauer!

flynn

Husk også at Vieira har prestert veldig bra til nå i sesongen, så det er forståelig at Monk gambler på ham når Hernandez og Bridcutt er ute.

Vi møter divisjonens klart beste sentrale midbane i Colback og Dr. Evil (Shelvey). Det er ikke noe katastrofe at vi taper denne kampen og jeg tipper Monk snakker mer om læring enn dårlige prestasjoner på spillermøte i morgen. Vi blir avkledd sentralt i de første 35 av 1. omgang, men utover i kampen er det ikke så verst. Det blir spennende å se hvordan vi fremstår mot Rotherham. Tipper vi får se et heltent Leedslag som vil vise seg fram fra en bedre side.

Jon R

auren

flynn
Basert på hva jeg har sett av Vieira tidligere denne sesongen, vil jeg si det var mer sannsynlig enn usannsynlig at han ville falle igjennom mot Shelvey & co. Tror Dia med sin rutine med større sannsynlighet ville stabilisert midtbanen vår bedre enn talentfulle men svært uferdige Vieira. Når det er sagt tror jeg vi hadde tapt denne kampen uansett laguttak.
Jon R.

Xern

auren

flynn
Basert på hva jeg har sett av Vieira tidligere denne sesongen, vil jeg si det var mer sannsynlig enn usannsynlig at han ville falle igjennom mot Shelvey & co. Tror Dia med sin rutine med større sannsynlighet ville stabilisert midtbanen vår bedre enn talentfulle men svært uferdige Vieira. Når det er sagt tror jeg vi hadde tapt denne kampen uansett laguttak.
Enig, tror vi på 8 av 10 dager hadde tapt. Men skulle likt å høre hvorfor Dia er så langt bak i rekken - han har nok sine grunner.

Josch

« Svar #354 på: November 22, 2016, 00:28:32 »
Vieira trenger slike kamper for å bli enda bedre. Alt handler ikke bare om hva som er best i denne ene kampen. Tror Monk er bevisst på at noen sjanser må man ta for å bli bedre, så får det heller bli et og annet mislykket uttak. Denne taktikken ser ut til å lykkes i det lange løp.

Xern

« Svar #355 på: November 22, 2016, 08:54:48 »
Vieira trenger slike kamper for å bli enda bedre. Alt handler ikke bare om hva som er best i denne ene kampen. Tror Monk er bevisst på at noen sjanser må man ta for å bli bedre, så får det heller bli et og annet mislykket uttak. Denne taktikken ser ut til å lykkes i det lange løp.
+1

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #356 på: November 24, 2016, 19:06:27 »
Glimrende intervju med Monk i Daily Mail

Leeds manager Garry Monk dreaming big at Elland Road: 'If I can take these fans to the Premier League, then wow!'

The mood at Leeds is buoyant with team flying high in the Championship
Garry Monk is building belief at Elland Road that the good times can return
The ex-Swansea boss is determined to use his past mistakes to improve
It is an attitude Monk is instilling throughout the club from the academy up

Last Sunday at Elland Road and a sell-out for the first time in six years. The result might not have gone to plan — visitors Newcastle winning 2-0 — but for Leeds United, there were 36,000 signs of progress and unity.
Victory over Rotherham on Saturday would lift Leeds into the play-off places, and Tuesday brings a visit to Liverpool in the EFL Cup quarter-final.
For the first time in years, hope and optimism abound.

Leeds, do not forget, have not finished in the top half of the Championship since 2011 and have reached the play-offs only once since being relegated from the Premier League in 2004.

Under Italian owner Massimo Cellino, Garry Monk, 37, is their sixth manager since the summer of 2014. At Swansea, Monk emerged as one of England's brightest young coaches, leading the club to an eighth-place Premier League finish, their highest ever.

Inevitably, there were suggestions that the FA should take a look. In football, however, things change quickly and 15 games into last season Monk was sacked.

His work had been impressive enough to bring calls of support from Sir Alex Ferguson, David Moyes and Dan Ashworth. Now he faces an altogether different challenge — to succeed where 12 others have failed by taking Leeds back to the summit of English football. So why risk it?

'It's the belief you have in yourself,' Monk said. 'I feel I can do something. I went in with no experience at Swansea. I had 80 or so games. 70 of those went really well and then for the sake of the last 10 games . . . I just didn't feel it was going to be more difficult here than what I'd already faced.

'I wanted a real challenge. I don't want to be safe all the time. If you can take these fans to the Premier League, then wow! Just imagine. They are unbelievably loyal. The ultimate aim is to get Leeds back to the Premier League. It's the motivation. We are fighting for it.'
Seven wins in 11 league games have lifted Leeds up the table. Monk has a young team, with a midfield comprised mostly of players below the age of 23, such as Kemar Roofe and Kalvin Phillips. In central midfield, 18-year-old Ronaldo Vieira is shining bright. His brother Romario (seriously) is also in the Leeds academy.

'Yeah — and he's got a little brother called Ronaldinho!' Monk joked. Immediately, though, he becomes more serious, pointing to a malaise among young English talent and echoing warnings made by Jamie Carragher in Sportsmail.
'We have a fantastic academy here but most academies are not producing real footballers.
'I met our young players at the start of the season and told them straight. I said they would be serving their apprenticeship with me.
'The system is not developing players right. I don't think we produce leaders. They are far too sheltered from everything.

'I remember coming through as a youth player. We prepared for if we didn't make it. We cleaned the stands, took out the rubbish, did errands for the managers, players' boots, cleaned cars... 
'It was ruthless. Everyone had jobs and responsibilities. In my teams at Torquay and Southampton, there wasn't just one leader, we were all leaders. I want to expose my young group to the harsh realities. They can't shy away from responsibility.
'The key is work ethic and attitude. It is the attitude that is wrong now more than anything. They expect it to be given to them. The reality is you have to earn it.
'It's difficult to change the mindset of youngsters. Many big teams buy young players not to play them but just to stop another big club from having them. Will you ever change it? I don't think so. It needs to be changed, though.

'We are not producing men. We are producing boys. When I came through, I was 15 years old playing against professionals, getting battered and growing up quickly.
'At 16 and making my league debut for Torquay, I felt ready. If we were to drop young men into that situation now, I don't think many could handle it. I like our young players. I see them take more responsibility every day, developing. We can't make them wash cars but I can make them be men about responsibility.
'I don't want them looking for an excuse, coming in after training and blaming someone else. Whatever happens, it's on you. I respect them as adults, I don't treat them as kids. They have huge potential. How far can they go? That's up to them.'
Monk says he is 'an old-school-values individual with modern methods'. While out of work, he visited Sevilla to talk with coach Unai Emery and director of football Monchi. He also had meetings with elite-level tennis and cricket coaches.

'I spoke to Ryan Jones, the former Wales rugby captain,' Monk said. 'I wanted to know about mental and physical preparation.
'Rugby treats games as war. There are certain bits about how they prepare mentally that can benefit my young players, particularly their professionalism.
'I wanted to know how rugby managers talk to players at half-time. In rugby, they have units. You have splits between defensive unit and forward unit and the team-talks are separate and then the manager comes in at the end.
'Would I do that? No, I do all of it! But who knows? In the future, football might go that way.'
Monk continues to film every training session. On the first day of pre-season each player was given a digital presentation of Monk's vision for Leeds.

At Swansea, he would mic himself up for training and listen back to every recording to check tone and clarity. He no longer does that. 'I'm fed up with my own voice,' he joked.
Sports psychologist Ian Mitchell would also join the coaches for training. 'I don't have a sports psychologist now,' Monk said. 'I'm confident dealing with that myself.
'I've changed. At Swansea, I knew what I was doing but there were things that played a big part in my mind that weren't really relevant.
'I would get in very, very early and make sure I was the last to leave. What was the latest I left? Well, the problem was my house was two minutes from the training ground. It was like "have a row with the missus and just go up the training ground for a bit!"
'I was there late into the night at times. You have a lot on your shoulders so you need a clear mind. Working from 6am until 10pm is not the most effective thing.

'There were times where I wanted to be there for the sake of wanting to be there. I was working but was it effective work? Maybe not always. I felt I had to do it because that's the typical image of a manager. I feel a better manager now than I ever did at Swansea.'
For Leeds, the picture now looks rosy but six games into the league season it was different. Leeds had suffered their worst start to a campaign since 1981 and supporters wondered if Cellino's patience would run out.
'I never had doubts about the way I was working,' Monk said. 'Yes, there was frustration because I could see the lads working hard but we need time and understanding from all at the club to understand the process.

'Ninety-nine per cent of promoted teams have longevity together. Swansea was built over many years. We can see Burnley, Middlesbrough, Sheffield Wednesday, Brighton doing similar. We are putting down important foundations here.
'My relationship with the owner has been excellent. He likes to know about the club, he is passionate about it — which I like. My job is the football and all the other side is for the club to deal with.'
'There are Leeds fans everywhere. I go to Spain and there are Leeds fans in the airport. I speak to Eddie Gray (former Leeds player and manager), who reminds me of the responsibility.
'Johnny Giles visited us at pre-season in Ireland. We had 3,000 at every game. I want to take them where they deserve to be.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3965870/Leeds-manager-Garry-Monk-dreaming-big-Elland-Road-fans-Premier-League-wow.html#ixzz4QwyvYBYy
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #357 på: November 24, 2016, 19:08:04 »
Glimrende intervju med Monk i Daily Mail

Leeds manager Garry Monk dreaming big at Elland Road: 'If I can take these fans to the Premier League, then wow!'

Samme sak:

RONALDO VIEIRA
Nationality: Guinea Bissau
Position: Central midfielder
Raised in Portugal, where he trained with Benfica. His family then came to England, Vieira enrolling in a football academy in York where he was spotted by Leeds in 2015. Twin brother Romario is now at the Leeds academy.

KALVIN PHILLIPS
Nationality: English
Position: Central midfielder
Winner of October's EFL Young Player of the Month award, Phillips has broken through under Monk after only 10 first-team games last season. Signed aged 14 after scoring four goals in three trial games. Still lives at home with his parents.

CHARLIE TAYLOR
Position: Left back
Yorkshire-born full back came through the Leeds academy. He was a target for Liverpool and West Brom last summer but chairman Massimo Cellino refused to sell. Leeds' Player of the Year last season after an excellent loan period at Fleetwood.

KEMAR ROOFE
Position: Winger
Trained at West Brom's academy, Roofe went on loan five times — including a spell in Iceland — before joining Oxford. Named League Two Player of the Year after scoring 26 goals to earn a £3m summer move to Leeds.
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #358 på: November 28, 2016, 19:09:33 »
Daily Telegraph denne gang. :)
Garry Monk brings calm to the chaos at Leeds United ahead of Liverpool cup tie
Garry Monk replaced Steve Evans as Leeds United manager earlier this year Credit: REX FEATURES
 Luke Edwards   28 November 2016 • 5:37pm

Garry Monk knew he was taking a risk when he became Leeds United manager, a club with a proud history that has consistently struggled with the burden of expectation that comes with it, but he still could not resist the challenge.
He knew he was gambling accepting a job offer from Massimo Cellino, a volatile and controversial owner, renowned for sacking managers as soon as results do not match his own ambition, yet it was one he is adamant was worth taking.

There would have been easier routes back into football after his sacking from Swansea in December last year, just a few months after he had been talked about as a future England manager, but Monk saw Leeds as a special club; a club that needed him as much as he needed them.

The size of the task did not faze or worry him, it excited a man who had not even been sure he wanted his first managerial job, when Swansea offered it to him just two years earlier.
What has happened since that suggests he was right to believe he could finally bring an end to the chaos at Elland Road.
“Maybe people were surprised I took this job,” said Monk, sitting in front of a wooden board inside Elland Road’s West Stand that lists all of the Leeds players who have represented the home nations and Ireland at international level.
““But I wanted a challenge, I’m not the sort of guy who takes the easy route. I didn’t have a stellar playing career, by any means, but I always challenged myself. Every step was a big challenge and I wanted another one.

“This is massive club that has not had the sort of success it wants for a very long time now, lots of managers have come in and tried, but I wanted it. It was the right job for me at the right time.
“I just felt I could offer them something as a manager and that I would enjoy it. There is a lot of work to be done, but where we have come from in such a short space of time, I’m really excited by that. It has been described as chaotic here, but I hope it is calmer now. It’s very important I work in a positive environment and that is what we have.

“People said I was under pressure at the start of the season, but I know what I can do, I know what the players can do and I know what this club can do. We have not to worry about what is said outside. We have a siege mentality and this is a club, traditionally, that has always had that. It’s part of its strength.”

Few managers have been successful at Leeds since Don Revie ruled English football in the 1970s, but none have managed to last more than a few months under Cellino, who is on to his sixth manager since taking control in 2014.
At 37, Monk is the youngest to have been employed by the colourful Italian, yet he brings a calm authority. Leeds have been rewarded with their best start to a season in years and, on Tuesday night, travel to Anfield to take on Liverpool in the quarter-final of the League Cup.
For a club that has only competed in the Championship play-offs once since they were relegated from the Premier League in 2004, Monk has injected hope into an apparently lost cause.
“I have a good relationship with the owner,” Monk added. “Everyone, from the owner down, seems excited about what we are trying to achieve. We all want to be successful and we’re all pushing in the same direction at the moment.

“I’m one that appreciates what a big club this is, who loves that history and wants to embrace it. That history should not be shied away from, it should be the extra motivation.
“When I speak to the group, that is what I say to them. We are the group that has the opportunity to shape the future of this football club so that one day people talk about the history we made.
“We are still very early in that process , but we are the team who can write a new chapter. That’s important.

“The fans will always have that history with them and, rightly, they are very proud of it, but I think they also understand now, that the only way to create something new is if we are all together.  That is what we are building. Everyone, from the owner down, is determined to pull together.
“When I arrived, I felt there was a problem. There will always be huge expectation here, but I felt there was also apprehension among the players, they were scared of playing at Elland Road and it is a challenging place to play, but what we have spoken about with the fans is about turning that apprehension on to the opposition. Slowly but surely that is what we are doing.
“Even when we lost to Newcastle, the fans have been fantastic and the apprehension has been taken out of the players. There is that bond between the team and the people in the stands.
“That is how we will be successful again, that is how we will get back to where we want to be, which is the Premier League. That is how Leeds United have always been successful. We will do it together. That was lacking.”
And what about England? “It was flattering at the time at Swansea,” Monk replied. “I’m patriotic and I’ve always taken an interest in the national team, but I knew it was too soon for all that. It was very early in my career, it was nice to have the praise, but that is all I took it as.
“I’ll be a better manager for what happened at Swansea. It was great for 70 out 80 games and yes, it was tough at the end, but I’ve no regrets. Without it I wouldn’t be here now.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/28/garry-monk-brings-calm-chaos-leeds-united-ahead-liverpool-cup/
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

auren

« Svar #359 på: Desember 03, 2016, 21:56:12 »
Monk og Leeds vinner og vinner og sålangt har den tidligere Swansea-stopperen vært en stor suksess for Leeds. Liker svært godt at han er smått kritisk til dagens kamp, selv om det ble seier:

Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP 36 min36 minutter siden
Monk said the "critical side of me" isn't too happy but he knows it's a big result. Says Leeds will need to play better in games coming up.

Og han trekker frem unggutta:

Unusually for Monk, he singled out Roofe, Vieira and Phillips for going "toe-to-toe" with Jedinak, Westwood et al. "They came out on top."

auren
"Guardiola said: 'You know more about Barcelona than I do!'"
Marcelo Bielsa, 16.01.19, etter Spygate-foredraget sitt.