Skrevet av Emne: Byen Leeds trenger et Leeds United med suksess  (Lest 3129 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Promotion 2010

Byen Leeds trenger et Leeds United med suksess
« på: August 01, 2016, 19:53:33 »
Byen Leeds trenger et Leeds United med suksess:

Mark Casci: Why a return to success for Leeds United is a must for the city’s economy

Leeds United are preparing for the opening game of the Championship season this weekend.
Picture : Jonathan Gawthorpe

MARK CASCI
17:59 Monday 01 August 2016

When I moved to Leeds in 1999 the city was on the up in almost very sense.

The local economy, buoyed by burgeoning financial services and a nationally renowned retail offering was bringing millions of pounds into the city.

Billy Bremner pictured at Elland Road in 1985

However above all of these factors making the city hum with success was the resurgence of Leeds United.

Under David O’Leary the club were riding high in the Premier League and making inroads into Europe too.

My first trip to Elland Road was an unforgettable UEFA Cup tie with Roma, with The Whites edging the encounter with an impressive 1-0 win spearheaded by a wonderful looping shot by Australian Harry Kewell.

The glory days, it seemed, had returned at Elland Road. Or so we thought.

HISTORIC ARCHIVE FEATURE
Leeds, Elland Road, 7th April 1970

West Stand Ticket Office

Queuing for Cup Tickets?
HISTORIC ARCHIVE FEATURE Leeds, Elland Road, 7th April 1970 West Stand Ticket Office Queuing for Cup Tickets?

Since taking on the Business Editor’s office at The Yorkshire Post I have asked all business and civic leaders from the city what the principal area is that is hampering the regional economy. Virtually every man and woman I have put this to has answered the lack of success at Leeds United. When you bare in mind the significant transport and skills issues the region faces this response is staggering.

It is easy to understand why.

I am confident if you conducted a worldwide poll of football fans to name the 20 biggest teams in the world that Leeds United would make the list.

This is the team that revolutionised the game in the 1970s, making the city famous across the world. It brought the world footballing icons with names like Giles, Bremner, Cantona, Strachan and Speed.

Leeds, Elland Road, 6th September 1967

Inter Cities Fairs Cup Final

Leeds United v Dynamo  Zagreb.

An all too familiar sight for Leeds United as Skoric, the Zagreb goalkeeper, punches the ball over thebar to foil Belfitt and Greenhoff.

The club’s name and image is so grand that it attracts fans from across the country. And yet for 12 sorry years it has languished out of the top flight.

“We’re not famous anymore,” its fans chanted ironically during its dark days in League One but the reality is it still is, it’s just massively failing to live up to its proud name.

The reality is that successive owners have arrived at the club promising to deliver a return to the glory days and then settled into a culture of under-achievement.

It’s current owner Massimo Cellino has proved no different, with his time at the club beset by controversy and on-the-field torpor. His predecessors, a consortium known as GFH Capital, Ken Bates and the much- maligned Peter Ridsdale also endured huge on and off the field problems.

14 April 2015 ....... Massimo Cellino Leeds United press conference at Elland Road. TJ100839x Picture Tony Johnson

It is all a significantly far cry from the atmosphere in the city when I moved here.

Premier League football lifted the city immeasurably and that was more than 10 years ago. The wealth that surrounds the game now is probably ten times what it was then.

The value added by increased visitors, sponsorships, broadcasting deals and an elevated profile could allow Leeds to do what it has done throughout its history; punch above its already substantial weight.

Three years ago research put the value of football to Manchester alone at £330m per year. Leicester’s economy is set for boom time following their improbable title win last year, with the city’s chamber of commerce putting it at £22m.

The last time Hull City were in Premier League it was reckoned that each home game netted £2m for the city’s economy.

This weekend the YP sportsdesk reported the potential of a consortium based in China and headed by Leeds United fan Steve Tappin may be preparing a bid for the club.

Mr Cellino has previously indicated his willingness to sell. However the club’s finances remain a mystery.

It cannot be underestimated the impact of a new era of success will have on the city. We have been here before of course and we are all aware this could be yet another false dawn.

But it is the fundamental interests of both Leeds and Yorkshire that success and pride are restored to the football club.

And that’s coming from a Middlesbrough fan.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/business/mark-casci-why-a-return-to-success-for-leeds-united-is-a-must-for-the-city-s-economy-1-8044878
« Siste redigering: August 01, 2016, 19:59:05 av Promotion 2010 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
Sv: Byen Leeds trenger et Leeds United med suksess
« Svar #1 på: Januar 24, 2017, 22:57:15 »
Bra for byen. :)

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/67m-boost-is-proof-that-the-north-matters-at-whitehall-1-8350005

£67m boost ‘is proof that the North matters at Whitehall’

a £67.5million Goverment cash boost will strengthen flood defences and boost jobs and growth. Northern Powerhouse Minister Andrew Percy was in Leeds yesterday to announce the money as part of a new £160m pot for Yorkshire and the Humber.

The announcement came on the day the Government published its vision for a modern Industrial Strategy, in which it pledges to close the productivity and wealth gap between different regions. Mr Percy said the brand new investment was “further proof that we will back the people of the North with the resources they need to reach their full potential”.

In the Leeds City Region, the cash will be spent on reinforcing flood resilience work across Leeds and West Yorkshire.It will also help pay for a primary sub-station in the Leeds Aire Valley Enterprise Zone to power current and future businesses.

Leader of Leeds City Council, councillor Judith Blake, said: “This further investment in the region is welcomed, especially in further flood prevention measures. We will continue to work with Government on the development of plans for the further comprehensive flood alleviation measures that the city and region need.”

Read more at: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/67m-boost-is-proof-that-the-north-matters-at-whitehall-1-8350005
Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #2 på: Februar 19, 2017, 18:13:04 »
Leeds Facts ‏@leedzfacts  21h
21 hours ago
More
Leeds is the UK’s fastest growing city, with the second largest employment total outside London, and over 110,000 people commuting to work.

Leeds Facts ‏@leedzfacts  Feb 2

More
The average house price in Leeds 10 years ago stood at £84,550. Today it’s £164,713.
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Xern

« Svar #3 på: Februar 22, 2017, 02:57:58 »
Leeds kommer til å drukne i suksess de neste årene, både pga opprykk og på grunn av min tilstedeværelse.  ;)

(Ja, jeg må gni det inn)
Noen mennesker tror at fotball gjelder liv eller død. Jeg liker ikke den innstillingen. Det er atskillig mer alvorlig enn som så. - Bill Shankly

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #4 på: Juli 27, 2017, 23:18:53 »
Leeds kan bli av de byene i England som taper mest på Brexit :(

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/leeds-could-be-among-hardest-hit-by-brexit-1-8671862

‘Leeds could be among hardest-hit by Brexit’ l Published: 06:43 Thursday 27 July 2017

Pressure is mounting on the Government to secure a Brexit deal that supports the region’s booming finance and services industries, as new figures reveal Leeds is among the 10 cities set to be worst-hit by Britain’s exit from the EU.

According to the new analysis, Yorkshire’s biggest city, which is currently one of the UK’s largest financial services centres, could see a drop in economic growth of between 1.3 and 2.6 per cent over the coming decade as a result of new trade barriers and tariffs.

Previous reports have already shown Yorkshire and the Humber to be one of the areas most at risk from a hard Brexit, due to its high levels of exports to EU member states. But the new figures add to concerns that northern towns and cities will be left worse-off by Britain’s exit from the trading bloc, prompting calls for further guarantees that any future deal will meet the region’s social and economic needs.

“These findings come at a critical time for the city’s economy which has been growing strongly and shows the vital importance of securing the best possible Brexit deal when it comes to jobs and investment,” said Leeds West MP and business select committee chairman Rachel Reeves. “We need more honesty from the Government about its Brexit negotiations, particularly the nature and length of the transitional arrangements and assurances that trade with Europe will continue without tariffs, additional regulations and bureaucracy so the impact on local jobs and businesses can be minimised.

“The Government must do everything possible to protect the region from the threat of an economic shock from Brexit.“Warm words are not enough. We need clarity, transparency and certainty from the Government about its Brexit negotiations so businesses can plan for the future.”

The Centre for Cities report lists Leeds as number nine in the cities most likely to be affected by a “hard” Brexit – where Britain defaults to World Trade Organisation rules – which it estimates would result in a 2.6 percent dip in economic output. And even in the case of a “soft” Brexit – where the UK joins a free trade area with the EU – it predicts legal barriers and customs checks would mean a decline of 1.3 percent. This is due to the city’s high share of business and financial services – the two sectors set to be most affected by the economic shocks ahead.

Leeds is home to England’s second largest financial services industry outside of the South East, with the sector generating around £6.6bn a year.Miles Celic, chief executive of membership body TheCityUK, said maintaining strong regional financial centres like Leeds and Sheffield “is critical to ensuring the UK remains a world-leading place to do business”.

He added that the best Brexit outcome for the industry will be a “bespoke deal” that grants British businesses mutual market access while giving them plenty of time to prepare for and adapt to new regulations and trading conditions. Responding to the report, Leeds City Council leader Judith Blake said the local authority is working hard with local businesses “to get to a place where we can respond well to the opportunities Brexit may create”.

She said the councils has prioritised five areas to help achieve this, including “maintaining progress on major development and infrastructure schemes” and securing devolution.A Government spokesman said it was engaging extensively with businesses and organisation across the country and is “committed to a bold and ambitious Free Trade Agreement that works for the whole of the UK”.

Read more at: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/leeds-could-be-among-hardest-hit-by-brexit-1-8671862
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #5 på: Juli 27, 2017, 23:21:27 »
Kommunen har planene klare for hvordan byen kan fortsette 'å bloome'. :)

New strategy to help booming city grow

An innovative new growth strategy aimed at giving the whole of Leeds a chance to make the most of the city’s economic boom has been launched today.

The consultation draft of the Leeds Inclusive Growth Strategy was recently approved by the city’s senior councillors, with businesses and stakeholders now being invited to have their say as part of a city-wide consultation.

Businesses are also being asked to pledge support and adopt the values set out in the strategy, which will help companies to deliver growth that is sustainable, inclusive and benefits all of the city’s communities.
Covering the period 2017 until 2023, the 12 key areas the strategy focusses include putting children at the heart of the city’s growth, improving careers advice and opportunities for all, improving the quality of jobs, tackling low pay and in-work progression, and boosting productivity.

Communities will also be better equipped to respond to economic changes through improved housing, investment in neighbourhoods, and the transformation of town centres into economic and service hubs.
And the size of the city centre would be doubled, with new jobs, homes and a city park in the South Bank, an Innovation District around the universities and hospital, and a rebuilt and revitalised Leeds Train Station.
The strategy will also boost Leeds’s bid to be European Capital of Culture in 2023 by helping to increase visitors and supporting the growth of the cultural and creative sector.

Councillor Judith Blake, leader of Leeds City Council, said: “Leeds is enjoying a period of unprecedented prosperity and growth, with a vibrant, successful and resilient economy filled with innovation and enterprise.
“But it’s crucial that the city as a whole benefits from that success and that the people of Leeds remain at the heart of how we work with businesses and developers, both now and in the future.”

The launch of the strategy comes as Leeds boasts its highest level of completed developments for a decade. The city’s business tourism has also been valued at £500m and Leeds is the fifth most popular conference destination in the UK.

Tourist guide Lonely Planet has named Leeds one of its top ten European tourist destinations for 2017 and the recent UK Powerhouse report showed the city’s economy had grown by eight percent since 2014- outstripping London.

Cllr Blake added: “Alongside partners in the private sector, our aim is to stimulate inclusive growth which reduces inequality through a strategy that provides job opportunities for everyone, brings down unemployment and increases wages.

“There’s no question we need to do more to ensure everyone in the city both contributes to and benefits from the success of our economy. By pledging their support for this strategy and making its core values a key part of how they operate, businesses can be part of securing a more balanced, sustainable and successful Leeds economy than ever before.”

Consultation on the Inclusive Growth Strategy will run until October 16. The final strategy will then be published in January, 2018.
For more details, or for businesses wanting to pledge their support, please visit: www.leedsgrowthstrategy.com

http://news.leeds.gov.uk/new-strategy-to-help-booming-city-grow/
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Promotion 2010

« Svar #6 på: Juli 27, 2017, 23:22:52 »
Erstattes enkelt av et suksessrikt Leeds UNITED!

Turister, handel og "secondary" økonomisk vekst rundt klubben!!!   ;D
Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

baste

« Svar #7 på: Juli 27, 2017, 23:28:46 »
Brexit betyr ikke jordens undergang, eller Leeds.

Nok av dommedagsprofiterer når Bodø mistet Hovedflyplassen, men byen ville det anderledes.

Noen klarer å se mulighetene som dukker opp. Satser på at Leeds er en slik by

MOT

Rudi G.

• Gjest
« Svar #8 på: Juli 28, 2017, 00:42:23 »
Byen Leeds trenger en ny flyplass for å utvikle seg videre!

Leeds med omliggende landsbyer (Bradford, Huddersfield osv) har en befolkning på nesten to millioner, og en liten flyplass (kapasitet ca 2,6 mill årlig) uten jernbaneforbinding og krøtterstier som tilførselsveier, til sammenligning har Bergen med en befolkning, ja tipper rundt 350 tusen med omliggende øyer og bygder en flyplass med kapasitet på 7.5 mill, Oslo med områder rundt har en flyplass med kapasitet på 24 mill.

Leeds må satse å få bygget seg en ny flyplass med skikkelig infrastruktur og direkteruter til Norge  ;)

h.b

• Gjest
« Svar #9 på: Juli 28, 2017, 09:39:34 »

Leeds med omliggende landsbyer (Bradford, Huddersfield osv) har en befolkning på nesten to millioner, og en liten flyplass (kapasitet ca 2,6 mill årlig) uten jernbaneforbinding og krøtterstier som tilførselsveier, til sammenligning har Bergen med en befolkning, ja tipper rundt 350 tusen med omliggende øyer og bygder en flyplass med kapasitet på 7.5 mill, Oslo med områder rundt har en flyplass med kapasitet på 24 mill.

Leeds må satse å få bygget seg en ny flyplass med skikkelig infrastruktur og direkteruter til Norge  ;)

Hør hør

jackbauer68

• Gjest
« Svar #10 på: Juli 28, 2017, 09:45:59 »

Hør hør

Og her er svaret:

"IF FAR-REACHING plans to build a direct rail link to Doncaster Sheffield Airport do materialise, there’s no reason why it cannot become this region’s main aviation hub and, in time, rival Manchester and Stansted. This is the central conclusion which can be drawn from the newly-launched blueprint that proposes the construction of a special spur off the East Coast main line so trains can service the airport. What a contrast to last week’s announcement of a new parkway station being built a mile from Leeds Bradford Airport on the Harrogate line, with the promise of a bus link to the main terminal. Three distinct differences between the rival approaches are plain. Regional airport calls for rail link Doncaster Sheffield airport aims to rival Manchester and Stansted First accessibility. Unlike Leeds Bradford where surrounding roads are gridlocked, Doncaster Sheffield’s first class road links would be complemented by some rail services operating on the main line between London and Scotland. Next funding. While the modest Leeds scheme is reliant on public money previously earmarked for the city’s defunct trolleybus scheme, Peel Group – owners of Doncaster Sheffield Airport – hope to acquire significant private sector investment and the possibility of Government support. Finally the national spin-offs. While Leeds Bradford will never be more than a regional airport, the former Finningley airfield boasts a runway which is long enough to handle the world’s largest aeroplanes and, in doing so, reduce the amount of passenger and freight traffic passing through the South East – the reason why there’s so much controversy over Heathrow’s expansion. It remains to be seen whether the Doncaster Sheffield plan takes off, but at least its executives can’t be faulted for showing sky-high ambition – a laudable trait that has been sadly lacking when it comes to tackling Yorkshire’s myriad transport challenges.

Read more at: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/opinion/yp-comment-an-airport-with-a-sky-high-ambition-doncaster-leads-by-example-1-8286224"

Xern

« Svar #11 på: Juli 28, 2017, 11:43:45 »

Skal sies at en gjennomsnittlig nordmann flyr 10 ganger mer enn en gjennomsnittlig europeer
Noen mennesker tror at fotball gjelder liv eller død. Jeg liker ikke den innstillingen. Det er atskillig mer alvorlig enn som så. - Bill Shankly

Rudi G.

• Gjest
« Svar #12 på: Juli 28, 2017, 12:21:18 »

Skal sies at en gjennomsnittlig nordmann flyr 10 ganger mer enn en gjennomsnittlig europeer

Ok, Stockport AirPort hadde nesten 26 mill passasjerer i 2016, en økning på over 10% fra 2015, Leeds må henge med i svingene, vi rykker stadig bakover i køen ;D

Trulsaren

« Svar #13 på: Juli 28, 2017, 13:34:35 »

Hør hør
Spleiselag? Leeds United Supporters Airport?  8)
Some fans have gone from begging for Omar Bogle from Grimsby to being disappointed with Lasogga from Hamburg in 6 months... #lufct