Skrevet av Emne: Radrizzanis Board  (Lest 18263 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Promotion 2010

Sv: Radrizzanis Board
« Svar #60 på: Mai 27, 2017, 18:56:02 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

Budda

« Svar #61 på: Mai 27, 2017, 19:12:38 »
Victor Orta

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/inside-story-victor-orta-how-13090744

Ikke et veldig bra resymé dette!!!

Ikke bra lesning. Spesielt hvis Karanka kommer også. Får satse på at det er litt blame game. Uansett så er en del bomkjøp på Ortas kappe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Endre

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #62 på: Mai 27, 2017, 19:17:05 »
Ikke bra lesning. Spesielt hvis Karanka kommer også. Får satse på at det er litt blame game. Uansett så er en del bomkjøp på Ortas kappe
Nei, ikkje bra. Men ikke alt er nødvendigvis så etterettelig. Det ble jo også skrevet om Pep fra Swanseafans at han var litt 'angiversk' overfor spillerne (har eg lest på waccoe). I Leeds har det ikke vært antydning til noen sånne beskyldninger....
Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Jon R

« Svar #63 på: Mai 28, 2017, 01:07:56 »
Nei, ikkje bra. Men ikke alt er nødvendigvis så etterettelig. Det ble jo også skrevet om Pep fra Swanseafans at han var litt 'angiversk' overfor spillerne (har eg lest på waccoe). I Leeds har det ikke vært antydning til noen sånne beskyldninger....
Minner om at Orta pr i dag kun er et rykte, han er altså ikke er ansatt i Leeds. Ser navnet brukes i denne og andre tråder som om han allerede er involvert i styre og stell. Victor Orta hører altså hjemme i ryktetråden, ikke i Andreas "board".
Jon R.

Rudi G.

• Gjest
« Svar #64 på: Mai 28, 2017, 01:45:34 »
Minner om at Orta pr i dag kun er et rykte, han er altså ikke er ansatt i Leeds. Ser navnet brukes i denne og andre tråder som om han allerede er involvert i styre og stell. Victor Orta hører altså hjemme i ryktetråden, ikke i Andreas "board".

;D

Promotion 2010

« Svar #65 på: Mai 29, 2017, 14:03:45 »

Lee Sobot
Expecting ex-Middlesbrough man Victor Orta's arrival as #lufc's new technical director to be confirmed at some stage this mid-week #lufc
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Rudi G.

• Gjest
« Svar #66 på: Mai 30, 2017, 16:02:37 »
« Siste redigering: Mai 30, 2017, 17:11:00 av Promotion 2010 »

Sydhagen

« Svar #67 på: Mai 30, 2017, 16:20:36 »
"Paynter, a striker whose danger factor is akin to a blind sniper, who has no fingers, or a gun."

h.b

• Gjest
« Svar #68 på: Mai 30, 2017, 16:45:42 »
Da er vel alt på plass, og det eneste som nå mangler er en manager/coach.
Mon tro om dette er på plass denne uka

Jon R

« Svar #69 på: Mai 30, 2017, 18:27:04 »
Litt skeptisk etter å ha lest om "sluttproduktet" i Boro men helt sikkert en kompetent kar. Velkommen skal han være!  :)
Spørsmålet er om han er en vinnerskalle. Hva tror du Lojosang?
Jon R.

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #70 på: Mai 30, 2017, 21:36:56 »
Litt skeptisk etter å ha lest om "sluttproduktet" i Boro men helt sikkert en kompetent kar. Velkommen skal han være!  :)
Spørsmålet er om han er en vinnerskalle. Hva tror du Lojosang?

Her litt om kjøpene hans i 'boro.
Ikke bare bomkjøp, akkurat. Dessuten, tenker jeg, han 'kan' engelsk fotball mye bedre nå. :) Og har en eier han kan SAMARBEIDE med...

http://throughitalltogether.sbnation.com/2017/5/30/15713792/is-victor-orta-the-right-man-to-bring-in-new-players-leeds-united
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #71 på: Mai 31, 2017, 17:09:25 »
Adam Pope‏ @APOPEY  42m
42 minutes ago
Adam Pope Retweeted Leeds United
Victor Orta's objective is to return #lufc to PL by improving scouting/recruitment & the Academy.

Leeds United‏
Verified account
@LUFC
 After joining #LUFC​ as Director of Football, we sat down with Victor Orta to discuss his new role. Watch Part 1 of our interview below...
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

DenHviteYeboah

« Svar #72 på: Mai 31, 2017, 17:13:51 »
Adam Pope‏ @APOPEY  42m
42 minutes ago
Victor Orta's objective is to return #lufc to PL by improving scouting/recruitment & the Academy.

Leeds United‏
Verified account
@LUFC
 After joining #LUFC​ as Director of Football, we sat down with Victor Orta to discuss his new role. Watch Part 1 of our interview below...
Akkurat det vil han lykkes med i jaffal. Scoutingen i denne klubben har i årevis vært usedvanlig dårlig etter min mening :(

Xern

« Svar #73 på: Mai 31, 2017, 23:08:38 »
Adam Pope‏ @APOPEY  42m
42 minutes ago

Leeds United‏
Verified account
@LUFC
Liker å høre!
Noen mennesker tror at fotball gjelder liv eller død. Jeg liker ikke den innstillingen. Det er atskillig mer alvorlig enn som så. - Bill Shankly

Promotion 2010

« Svar #74 på: Juni 01, 2017, 21:03:13 »
For å klargjøre litt om rollen til Orta. Hva er egentlig en Director of Football kontra rollen som Head of Recruitment som han hadde i M'boro?

TheLeedsMango på WACCOE har denne avklaringen til oss:

Think the Director of Football is a bit misunderstood, probably because they play different rolls in different clubs. They oversee all the day to day stuff and plan strategies. Part of the strategy is usually setting up scouting. If their policy is to sign up foreign youngsters, he'll ensure that that is the type of player they are offering contracts to. People make it come across that the DoF, Orta in our case, is running around picking out players, signing them and then telling our manager to play them. Monk would have gave forward positions that he needed to fill, he'd possibly offer suggestions of players, as would Clotet, and scouts. Orta would check if the player fits the financial capabilities of the club, meets their criteria for strategies, etc. and then try to sign him.

In the past Chairmen have been involved with this. Now most just want to put their money in and reap the benefits, they aren't worried about that. The next step was the managers got all the responsibility and they signed players who they wanted, the manager failed his objectives and was fired, and the club had wasted money.

The chairmen are now admitting they don't have the time/knowledge, but will hire someone who will be held accountable for doing this. Ensuring that signings aren't ridiculous and fulfil a purpose. Managers can still have a lot of control and input, it is no different to having an overly controlling owner.

Southampton is the perfect example of it. I'm guessing Orta was given a job to do at Middlesborough, and was fulfilling it, but then got rightly frustrated when Gibson started signing players that he wanted into the team. That's like paying someone to build your house and you popping in on the weekends to attempt to plaster some of the rooms.

Maybe Monk had issues with it because he had a different direction. But it's not a case of Monk would have been lumped with players he didn't want. It's just that he'd have to agree transfers with Orta rather than Radrizzani. Radrizzani probably wants to take more of a back seat and focus on the finances and strategies for the growth of the club. He's delegating the serious amount of work that needs done. Compare and contrast Rad/Orta/Bravo/Kinnear/Manager with Cellino/Hockaday.

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Jon R

« Svar #75 på: Juni 01, 2017, 21:25:34 »
"Radrizzani probably wants to take more of a back seat and focus on the finances and strategies for the growth of the club. He's delegating the serious amount of work that needs done. Compare and contrast Rad/Orta/Bravo/Kinnear/Manager with Cellino/Hockaday. "

;D ;D ;D
Jon R.

auren

« Svar #76 på: Juni 04, 2017, 11:43:23 »
"Guardiola said: 'You know more about Barcelona than I do!'"
Marcelo Bielsa, 16.01.19, etter Spygate-foredraget sitt.

Promotion 2010

« Svar #77 på: Juni 04, 2017, 12:55:19 »
Ny scout på plass skal vi tro spanske medier:

http://www.estadiodeportivo.com/sevilla/2017/06/04/victor-orta-recluta-dani-salas-sevilla-leeds/108110.html

auren

Google er ikke bra:

Monchi venstre solide strukturer i sports retning Sevilla, men flere av de viktigste personene i det samme kan forlate klubben i de kommende dagene.

Muchodeporte følges rapporterte i går at Miguel Ángel Gomez er en av dem som tenker på å forlate Nervion. Regnes hjernen av den tekniske sekretariat og bygge en avdelingsleder som har hatt en flott sesong i den andre, indikerer informasjon som Gomez ikke føles som vurderes til huset som det skal.

Som selv forlater den tekniske sekretariat er Dani Salas, leder for Portugal og Sør-Amerika. Deres skjebne, som har blitt fortalt STADIUM, vil være Leeds United, hvor han vil matche Víctor Orta. Det er flere fagfolk som har avtaler for å avslutte. Óscar Arias ikke bare å signere for førstelaget, også for sports retning nå kommandoer.

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Xern

« Svar #78 på: Juni 04, 2017, 13:02:37 »
Ingen engelske rapporter om dette? Har noen som kan oversette for meg om det trengs.
Noen mennesker tror at fotball gjelder liv eller død. Jeg liker ikke den innstillingen. Det er atskillig mer alvorlig enn som så. - Bill Shankly

Promotion 2010

« Svar #79 på: Juni 04, 2017, 16:03:05 »
Andrew Gaffney - Ekspert på La Liga for Yahoo

Dani Salas, who was part of Monchi's transfer network at Sevilla, is joining Victor Orta at #LUFC. He was focused on Portugal & S America.

Meget bra! Kanskje vi kan få inn noen bra Sør-Amerikanere?
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #80 på: Juni 04, 2017, 18:00:54 »

Leeds United set to appoint another Monchi graduate from Sevilla

Things are changing up at Elland Road as the Andrea Radrizzani era of ownership at Leeds United slowly starts to take shape. Whilst still looking for a manager/head coach, there is movement behind the scenes.

Spaniard Ivan Bravo has been elected onto the Leeds United board and the Whites have recruited ex-Middlesbrough employee Victor Orta as the club’s new Director of Football. Now it seems that Leeds are sticking with the sabor español as they look to recruit yet again from Spain, according to reporter Enrique García from publication ED.

The article by Garcia for ED states in its title that the recently appointed Orta is reaching back to former employers Sevilla to bring in Daniel Salas, who was a key part of the solid structure that is Seville’s scouting and transfer network. Both Orta and Salas worked at Sevilla in a system created by Ramón Rodríguez Verdejo, a man more commonly known as ‘Monchi’ – a goalkeeper turned transfer wizard for the Spanish club.

It is a reputation that bears up to scrutiny, and the facts don’t lie. It was Monchi’s system that signed Dani Alves for €1.3 million, selling him later and making €40 million on the sale. He signed Julio Baptista for €3 million and sold him for €25. Youth team players at Sevilla in the shape of Sergio Ramos, José Antonio Reyes and Jesús Navas were sold for almost €75 million.

Monchi created this system, both Orta and Salas were a part of it. With Orta at Elland Road, it now appears that, with bringing in the highly thought of Salas, that the new Leeds United Director of Football is looking to build a similar system at Elland Road.

Salas’ expertise and allotted area is as the head of scouting for Portugal and South America, markets where flair players can be brought in for relatively less that the cost of similar English youngsters.
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #81 på: Juni 20, 2017, 19:35:48 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Rudi G.

• Gjest
« Svar #82 på: Juni 20, 2017, 22:20:34 »
It’s been a long time since Leeds have had such a professional structure in place and it’s quite confusing to say the least. So I’m going to give it my best go at breaking the structure down, stick with us.

Owner/Chairman – Andrea Radrizzani – If you don’t know who this is, maybe seek help? Radrizzani has been in 100% control since the latter stages of May. He had a rough start with Monk resigning out of the blue but he seems to have bounced back pretty well. It’s still too soon to see whether he’ll be a success or not, but the signs are good.

Executive Director – Paul Bell – Bell returned to Elland Road in January 2016, he was Director of Commercial Affairs for four-and-a-half years but now holds the role of Executive Director. He focuses mainly on the commercial side of things, which has really improved at Leeds over the past year or so.

Managing Director – Angus Kinnear – Kinnear was the third man at the press conference on Monday, he was previously at West Ham and before that, Arsenal. Kinnear’s main task at West Ham was to oversee the move to the Olympic Stadium and prior to that, Arsenal’s move to the Emirates. I don’t see Leeds moving stadium any time soon, but there is the possibility of renovating Elland Road, which it really does need. Work has already started on improving the West Stand, including the changing rooms.

Director – Ivan Bravo – A key director appointment was Ivan Bravo, he was Director of Strategy at Real Madrid for seven years, working on both the football and commercial sides of the game. He has a lot of contacts within the game and has links to the Aspire academy in Qatar, which is very interesting.

Director of Football – Victor Orta – We saw Orta properly for the first time at the press conference and it’s safe to say there were mixed views. I personally thought he was very impressive, no stupid promises like we’ve heard before, he just spoke straight sense. Obviously, we need to see the calibre of players he brings in first, but it was also good to hear that the head coach will get the last say on transfers.

Scouts – Radrizzani has brought both Dani Salas and Gaby Ruiz to Leeds so far. Ruiz is the head of European recruitment and Salas has a similar role for South America. It’s actually quite amazing that Leeds are building such an in-depth scouting structure, after relying on Willie Mckay and the furniture salesman for the last few years.

Head Coach – Thomas Christiansen – It’s fair to say nobody really knew who he was when his name suddenly rose to the top of the betting. After listening to many interviews and doing one of our own with an APOEL fan, I’m pretty confident we’re in good hands. His presentation he gave to Radrizzani where he tore apart Monk’s flaws sounded very intriguing and it’s good to see how flexible he is with formations.

Coaches – Christiansen brings with him Julio Banuelos, Ivan Torres and Marcus Abad. I cannot claim to know much about any of them, other than the fact Abad has his own app.

So for anyone confused about the whole setup, there you go, you’re probably more confused now.

http://leedsallover.com/breaking-down-the-new-structure-at-leeds-united/

Promotion 2010

« Svar #83 på: Juni 20, 2017, 23:04:23 »
Sakser dette fra forsiden til ØD!!!  8)

Head Coach: Thomas Christiansen

Executive director: Paul Bell - har hatt jobben i 4,5 år

Director of Football: Victor Orta (ex-Sevilla, Zenit St. Petersburg og M'boro)
*Scout Sør-Amerika og Portugal - Dani Salas (ex-Sevilla)
*Head of European recruitment - GabyRuiz

Technical director:

Managing Director: Angus Kinnear (ex-West Ham og Arsenal)

Styret:
Styreformann - Andrea Radrizziani
Ivan Bravo (ex-Real Madrid)
Angus Kinnear
Andre Tegner (Aser’s head of investments and strategies)
Og kanskje:
Feng Ze Yeh (A lawyer from The Aser Group)

Eierstruktur:
Radrizzani himself and his  investment firm, Aser Group Holding, står bak kjøpet av Leeds United.

Eierskap Elland Road:

Eierskap Thorp Arch:

Academy:           (EPPP  ‘Category 2’ Academy)
Academy Manager: Adam Underwood

Head of Coaching: Daral Pugh

Developement squad coach:

It’s been a long time since Leeds have had such a professional structure in place and it’s quite confusing to say the least. So I’m going to give it my best go at breaking the structure down, stick with us.

Owner/Chairman – Andrea Radrizzani – If you don’t know who this is, maybe seek help? Radrizzani has been in 100% control since the latter stages of May. He had a rough start with Monk resigning out of the blue but he seems to have bounced back pretty well. It’s still too soon to see whether he’ll be a success or not, but the signs are good.

Executive Director – Paul Bell – Bell returned to Elland Road in January 2016, he was Director of Commercial Affairs for four-and-a-half years but now holds the role of Executive Director. He focuses mainly on the commercial side of things, which has really improved at Leeds over the past year or so.

Managing Director – Angus Kinnear – Kinnear was the third man at the press conference on Monday, he was previously at West Ham and before that, Arsenal. Kinnear’s main task at West Ham was to oversee the move to the Olympic Stadium and prior to that, Arsenal’s move to the Emirates. I don’t see Leeds moving stadium any time soon, but there is the possibility of renovating Elland Road, which it really does need. Work has already started on improving the West Stand, including the changing rooms.

Director – Ivan Bravo – A key director appointment was Ivan Bravo, he was Director of Strategy at Real Madrid for seven years, working on both the football and commercial sides of the game. He has a lot of contacts within the game and has links to the Aspire academy in Qatar, which is very interesting.

Director of Football – Victor Orta – We saw Orta properly for the first time at the press conference and it’s safe to say there were mixed views. I personally thought he was very impressive, no stupid promises like we’ve heard before, he just spoke straight sense. Obviously, we need to see the calibre of players he brings in first, but it was also good to hear that the head coach will get the last say on transfers.

Scouts – Radrizzani has brought both Dani Salas and Gaby Ruiz to Leeds so far. Ruiz is the head of European recruitment and Salas has a similar role for South America. It’s actually quite amazing that Leeds are building such an in-depth scouting structure, after relying on Willie Mckay and the furniture salesman for the last few years.

Head Coach – Thomas Christiansen – It’s fair to say nobody really knew who he was when his name suddenly rose to the top of the betting. After listening to many interviews and doing one of our own with an APOEL fan, I’m pretty confident we’re in good hands. His presentation he gave to Radrizzani where he tore apart Monk’s flaws sounded very intriguing and it’s good to see how flexible he is with formations.

Coaches – Christiansen brings with him Julio Banuelos, Ivan Torres and Marcus Abad. I cannot claim to know much about any of them, other than the fact Abad has his own app.

So for anyone confused about the whole setup, there you go, you’re probably more confused now.

http://leedsallover.com/breaking-down-the-new-structure-at-leeds-united/

Ød:

Hvem er nå dette da?

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/new-man-on-board-at-leeds-united-1-8510490

Bra? Dårlig? Anyone?
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #84 på: Juni 20, 2017, 23:05:46 »
Imponerende jobb av Radrizziani! Organisasjonen blir bygget sten for sten og FORT!!!!
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #85 på: Juni 20, 2017, 23:17:59 »
Sakser dette fra forsiden til ØD!!! 

Head of Coaching: Daral Pugh

Tror de bommet litt mht Pugh. Syns å huske at han måtte gå, noe wiki tydeligvis understøtter:
On 24 February 2017, Pugh was appointed as Interim Lead Professional Development Phase Coach at Rotherham United until the end of the season.[4]
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Promotion 2010

« Svar #86 på: Juni 25, 2017, 18:57:25 »
In Defence of Victor Orta

Article by Gwyn Hughes

It’s all change at Leeds United as Thomas Christiansen starts his 2 year tenure as manager. In fact it really is all change as the whole backroom staff of last season have gone and replaced by largely individuals connected to Spanish football.

We now have Victor Orta as head of recruitment, Gaby Ruiz is the club’s head of European recruitment, and Julio Banuelos is the manager’s right-hand man. Marcos Abad comes in as goalkeeping coach from Middlesboro.

It’s a reset which not a lot of us wanted at the end of last season, but forced on the club after Garry Monk’s shock resignation. To start from fresh seems like we have taken a backward step. All that improvement we saw last season now is under threat if the new management team gets it wrong.

But last season wasn’t all good so perhaps we’re giving the old regime more credit than they deserve. I am really impressed with the credentials of the people who have been brought in. Clearly we now have in place some of the top people in player recruitment in the country if not in Europe.

Surely we will soon be reading about exciting new talent signing contracts at Thorp Arch ready to get fit for the new season.

Andrea Radrizzani, Leeds’ owner of a mere few weeks, has taken a bit of a gamble which we’re all hoping it comes off.

Christiansen was unveiled on Monday and appeared with Orta and new Managing director Angus Kinnear at their first press conference. Victor Orta in particular came in for some criticism by fans which I was a bit puzzled about. Some criticised him for daring to mention the possibility that Chris Wood might not be a Leeds United player next season. Others just thought he seemed arrogant.

Forgive me for saying this but what planet are these people living on?

What I heard from Victor Orta was the real world of English football. In that real world where money and ambition is king, the future of footballers’ and their destinations are as fluid and fast-moving as the Niagara Falls!

Of course Chris Wood could go. He’s valued at £15 million and if some club is bold enough to bid that or more, Leeds United would let him go. They only paid £3 million for him. The good thing was that Orta said that the signs are good that Wood will stay. I hope he does, but like any player at a club with new management, the highly rated striker would like to see signs of ambition from the club’s hierarchy. If they recruit well then Wood will see a future at Leeds United, in The Premier League. If not, then he may well look elsewhere.

Orta was just being honest, which I found refreshing.

As for him appearing arrogant, I didn’t detect it. He was confident and assured and told us how it is. Sure he talked a lot and may have been a tad too dominant at the press conference. Clearly he is going to play a big role at the club. The fact that Radrizzani himself wasn’t at the press conference indicates this.

To be honest I would want a head of recruitment at my club to be confident and assured. How else is he supposed to recruit?

I applaud the approach this regime is taking as well in regards to recruitment. They seem sensible and capable guys who will not ruin our club by spending money like water. They obviously are aware of what happened 15 years ago and realise that they must be careful custodians of this great British club.

Orta’s assertion that the club has a budget to work with sent the doom merchants into hyper mode. They fear that the club are going to carry on recruiting bargain basement players which shows that the club has not moved on and that the present owner is just as unambitious as previous ones.

What’s wrong with a budget? What Orta meant was that they have a certain amount of money that they are prepared to use to get players. I think many fans associate the word budget to mean the acquisition of cheap and low priority players. Budget could mean anything. Orta wasn’t going to reveal the extent of that budget or we would all be calling for his head!

Budget could be £5million, but it could also be £20 million.

As I’ve said before, the Leeds way has always been to find good, youthful talent and nurture them to the best players they can be. I wish we could get Neil Redfearn back to take charge of the development squad and we would be in even better shape.

I didn’t see a lot wrong with what Orta said, and Christiansen for that matter. I think they will bring in players that will light up The Championship next season. I was hearted to hear that Orta wants to bring players in who want to play for Leeds United. That, quite frankly, is half the battle won. If players want to play for Leeds and are enjoying their football then the team will be a better unit. It’s not rocket science.

I have high hopes that the new manager will get it right at Leeds. He’s got an experienced staff behind him, a half decent squad already, and a sensible and hopefully astute owner who will help him to succeed as manager of Leeds United.

Let us know what you think about this article in the comments section below!
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #87 på: Juli 15, 2017, 23:28:57 »
Fintfolk også tilstede i Østerriket:

Ivan Bravo og Victor Orta!!!

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #88 på: August 22, 2017, 20:02:34 »
Angus Kinnear talking sense i matchday programme vs Newport

Barney‏ @SbStuart21  26m
26 minutes ago
Angus Kinnear talking about the lost generation of fans in tonight's match day program #lufc
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Promotion 2010

« Svar #89 på: Mai 24, 2018, 22:26:26 »
Who is new Leeds United director Paraag Marathe and what has he done at the 49ers?

Phil HayPublished: 09:30
Seventeen years with the San Francisco 49ers have taken Paraag Marathe from the lower levels of the NFL franchise to a seat near the very top.

These days he holds the title of president of the 49ers enterprise and executive vice president of football operations. In layman’s terms he is the right-hand man of owner and chief executive Jed York.

Paraag Marathe.
Paraag Marathe.
When Marathe took on his current job in March of this year, the 49ers said that his remit would include the handling of “major investment opportunities for the club.” One opportunity has been realised today with the 49ers’ purchase of a minority stake in Leeds United and Marathe’s appointment to the board of directors at Elland Road. It is the latest step in a career which never seems to stand still.

What does the San Francisco 49ers investment mean for Leeds United?

The son of immigrants from India, Marathe’s parents ran pizza restaurants in California and he grew up as a 49ers fan. After graduating with a business degree from Stanford University and a few years of work in management consultancy, Marathe - with no background in American football - joined the 49ers as their special projects manager in 2001. He gained a reputation for understanding statistics, finances and the workings of the NFL and began climbing the ladder. His profile grew in tandem, despite what reports in America describe as his tendency to avoid publicity.

Marathe moved roles after three years, becoming assistant to the club’s general manager and then took on the senior role of director of football operations. It was Marathe’s responsibility to negotiate contracts and the recruitment of players, manage the 49ers’ salary cap and ensure compliance with the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement, a deal governing the distribution of revenues and employment rights for players in the sport.

Paraag Marathe.

In time, other opportunities came his way. He served as the 49ers president for two years and their chief operating officer for three years, overseeing the club’s move from its iconic Candlestick Park arena to the Levi’s Stadium, a ground with a capacity of almost 70,000 which opened in 2014.

Who is new Leeds United director Paraag Marathe and what has he done at the 49ers?

Marathe said his choice of career and his involvement in professional sport had come as a surprise to his family. In a rare interview with The Mercury News, a newspaper published in San Jose, he said: “In Indian-American culture everyone’s got to be a doctor or engineer, or maybe a lawyer. Working in sports, my whole family - the ones who are in India and everywhere else - they just thought this was a hobby.” Marathe described his role with the 49ers as “75 per cent football related” and was scrutinised because of it.

The 49ers have endured some lean years since their golden era in the 1980s and early 1990s, when the club won the Super Bowl on five occasions. There was a Super Bowl appearance in 2012, while Marathe was chief operating officer, but the meagre performance of the 49ers and decisions over the appointment and sacking of head coaches - a process Marathe was involved in - resulted in criticism of him and York and questions about their influence behind the scenes.

Paraag Marathe.

In the recent NFL season, under head coach Kyle Shanahan and general manager John Lynch, the 49ers rallied from a shocking start which saw them record one win in 11 games to win five straight and finish with a record of 6-10.

While falling well short of post-season qualification, the upturn came after a trade for quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo from the New England Patriots, a canny move in the market that has observers believing the 49ers can contend for the next decade.

San Francisco 49ers buy minority stake in Leeds United

Marathe himself received a glowing reference from Mike Nolan, the 49ers head coach between 2005 and 2008. “Personally, I think he's one of the best at the job he does,” Nolan said in a television interview last year. “As far as the cap and contracts go and really putting together all the information, I’m just telling you the son-of-a-gun is good. I have absolutely zero questions in my mind about how good he is.” Marathe was philosophical about the criticism. “We’re measured by wins and losses,” he said. “We haven’t won and we have to get that straightened out.”

English football is new territory for Marathe, despite the 49ers already branched out into professional soccer. In 2015 they bought shares in Sacramento Republic, a minor league team based in San Francisco. Plans are afoot for a new 25,000 capacity stadium at a cost of around £200m and Sacramento have already pitched for entry into Major League Soccer (MLS).

Beyond the money the 49ers are paying for their stake in Leeds, United saw value in adding Marathe to the board at Elland Road, involving someone with a track record of working at a high level of professional sport and with one of the US’s more valuable NFL franchises. Marathe was in his early 20s when the 49ers first employed him. A little past his 40th birthday he has reached boardroom level in both the NFL and the EFL. Leeds wait to see what his knowledge and ideas will bring.

Min første Leeds-kamp: