Skrevet av Emne: Legende: Trevor Cherry  (Lest 2541 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Promotion 2010

Legende: Trevor Cherry
« på: Juni 29, 2017, 20:11:39 »
The man
« Siste redigering: Juli 01, 2017, 19:34:41 av Promotion 2010 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

Promotion 2010

Sv: Trevor Cherry
« Svar #1 på: Juni 29, 2017, 20:12:18 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Cherry

« Svar #2 på: Juni 29, 2017, 20:27:37 »
Stooooooor helt! :)

RoarG

« Svar #3 på: Juli 01, 2017, 18:19:52 »
Lenge siden jeg har hørt noe fra denne meget gode venstrebacken. Ikke noen Taylor-nykker der i gården.
"Jeg tror ikke på Gud, men etter Bielsas ansettelse må jeg nok revurdere", Roar Gustavsen, januar 2020

veteranen

• Gjest
Sv: Legende: Trevor Cherry
« Svar #4 på: Juli 01, 2017, 20:36:07 »
Hans viktigste scoring for Leeds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwQqklcDy24

Hallgeir *

« Svar #5 på: Juli 01, 2017, 20:45:31 »
Super Leeds since 1968

Promotion 2010

« Svar #6 på: Juli 02, 2017, 10:43:36 »
En artikkel fra 1996:

WHERE ARE THEY NOW? TREVOR CHERRY

Jon Culley Monday 8 April 1996

Play-off candidates Huddersfield have not been nearer a top-flight place since they won the Second Division title in 1970 with the team that unveiled Frank Worthington's goalscoring talents and pushed the 22-year- old Trevor Cherry to the fore.

Should the Terriers go up this season, Cherry, now 48 and an associate director, will take some credit again, having been involved in recruiting Brian Horton as manager. "I felt Brian did well in difficult circumstances at Manchester City and he has had an exceptional season for us," Cherry said.

It was after a pounds 100,000 move to Leeds United in 1972 that Cherry made his name, winning a championship medal and 27 England caps. He left Elland Road to be player-manager of Bradford City, where his Third Division title triumph in 1985 was overshadowed by the Valley Parade fire. Sacked in 1987, he rejected a chance to take over at Sunderland but has no regrets about leaving management behind.

"The fire affected me, I'm sure," he said, "but I turned down Sunderland for other reasons, including the travelling I would have faced, plus my son's A-levels. With hindsight, it was the best decision I ever made."

Today, Cherry, married with three children, runs a successful promotions and corporate hospitality business, based in Huddersfield but which often takes him to Leeds, with whom, he admits, he shares his loyalties. His son, Darren, had trials with Leeds but now, like his New York-based brother, Ian, 25, is a chartered accountant. His daughter, Danielle, is a student.

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #7 på: Juli 02, 2017, 10:48:32 »
Og litt temperament har han:

Leeds United great Trevor Cherry says the six players who did not play in Charlton loss with 'freakish' injuries should be sacked

Former captain branded them 'a disgrace'
Agency Sunday 19 April 2015

Former Leeds captain Trevor Cherry has branded the six United players who withdrew at short notice from Saturday's match against Charlton a 'disgrace' and called for them to be sacked by the club.

Italian quartet Mirco Antenucci, Giuseppe Bellusci, Dario del Fabro and Marco Silvestri, Frenchman Souleymane Doukara and Albanian Edgar Cani all told beleaguered head coach Neil Redfearn they were injured and could not travel to London.

Redfearn, speaking after his side lost 2-1 at The Valley, described it as a "freakish" set of events. According to the manager, Silvestri had been rested since sustaining a knock but had been expected to recover, while Antenucci and Canu declared themselves unfit after training on Thursday with the rest pulling out following a 'light' session on Friday.

But Cherry was unimpressed and wants the players out of Elland Road.

"I would sack them and take the PFA (Professional Footballers' Association) on," he said on BBC Radio Five Live's Sportsweek. "I don't think players can do that, it's scandalous and it's just another story for Leeds United that is disgraceful.

He added: "I don't know exactly the players and it might be one or two of them have got a good excuse, but it sounds too stupid to be true."

Striker Antenucci used Twitter to defend himself, as did goalkeeper Silvestri who posted a picture of a cut on his back suffered against Norwich on Tuesday night.

However, Cherry questioned if they were legitimate reasons to withdraw.

"In the old days you used to play with anything, cuts or one thing or another," he said. "The managers had a big say in whether you were fit or not. You didn't just come in and say 'I've got a headache, I'm going home'. I'm sure with George Graham or Don Revie, I can't imagine what would have happened if you'd have done that."

The withdrawals are just the latest incident in another turbulent period at Leeds.

Redfearn's position at Elland Road has become increasingly threatened over recent weeks, despite leading the club to Championship safety after taking over from ill-fated predecessors David Hockaday and Darko Milanic.

He saw assistant Steve Thompson lose his job without warning on April 2 and his own deal, which expires at the end of the season, looks increasingly unlikely to be renewed under the club's current regime.

Club president Massimo Cellino has been banned since January after being found guilty of not paying tax on a yacht in Italy, but is due to return in a fortnight's time.

Cherry, who played for Leeds between 1972 and 1982, was left to lament the situation at his old club.

"It's a club that's a shambles and has been a shambles for 10 years," the ex-England defender said. "We just stutter from disaster to disaster, joke to joke. If it wasn't sickening it would be funny. You couldn't write a book about Leeds United and what's happened.

"Personally, I don't know the Italian guy but I don't think he realises the size of the club, it's just a little play thing and he's making a mess of it in my opinion."
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #8 på: Juli 02, 2017, 10:50:35 »
Trevor Cherry.

These days corporate hospitality plays a major part in all forms of sport. Our man Dave Callaghan - never one to refuse hospitality - finds former Leeds star Trevor Cherry doing well in business and still on the fringe of football...

THE former Leeds United and England defender Trevor Cherry is the first to admit he is something of a "home bird". In a distinguished playing career that spanned nearly two decades, he never moved away from his beloved Yorkshire, despite a number of offers to further his career elsewhere.

Cherry achieved virtually everything as a player before moving into management with Bradford City. These days he runs a highly successful sports promotion business - S.L.P. Consultancy Ltd - in his hometown of Huddersfield, but football is never far from his thoughts.

Cherry began his career at Huddersfield Town in the swinging sixties. He played in the magnificent Town side which won promotion to the First Division. When Huddersfield were relegated at the end of the 1972-73 season, Cherry knew it was time to make a move.

"I'd been at Leeds Road for five or six seasons and at that stage of my career I didn't want Second Division football," he admits. "I knew Birmingham and Tottenham were in for me, but that would have meant uprooting the family and leaving my home town. When Don Revie made an enquiry it came as a bolt from the blue. I knew all about Leeds, but I never dreamed I would end up playing for them."

Leeds were looking for a replacement for Terry Cooper. The £100,000 deal was sealed in June 1973 and Cherry became a Leeds United player.

"I made my debut at Chelsea, but it wasn't a very good start - we lost 4-1 !"

The Yorkshireman went on to make 476 first-team appearances - scoring 31 goals and picking up 27 England caps along the way.

"I was fortunate to play with some great players," says Trevor. "Johnny Giles was a tremendous influence on the team. His passing ability was extraordinary. Billy Bremner had terrific enthusiasm, but it's unfair to single individual players out. The whole team was outstanding."

He went on to play in the Leeds side which won the League Championship in 1974, but along the way there were disappointments. When Leeds won through to the European Cup Final in 1975, Cherry found himself left out of the side.

"It was the biggest blow of my career," he recalls. "I was suspended for a couple of league matches in the run-up to the final. Although I did a good job marking Johan Cruyff in the semi-final, I was left out of the starting line-up for the big one in Paris."

Cherry had to watch from the subs' bench as Leeds were beaten 2-0 by Bayern Munich. As a man who had managed to get the better of the great Johan Cruyff, it's intriguing to know who Trevor rates as the best player of all time.

"I know Leeds United supporters will hate me for it, but George Best was the finest player I ever saw. He had two great feet. He was quick, brave and good in the air. He was the complete footballer. Cruyff and Pele were obviously great players as well, but best had everything."

It was clear from the start of Trevor Cherry's Elland Road career that he was a natural leader. When don Revie left to take the England manager's job the great side he'd built began to disintegrate. Cherry was the obvious choice to take over as skipper.

"After the demise of the great Leeds side, we went through a period of change. You probably remember, there was a string of different managers. For me Jimmy Adamson was probably the best. It was an exciting time as well. I was delighted to see players like Joe Jordan and Gordon McQueen coming through."

Trevor was one of the rare breed of players who could play both right and left back. He even played the odd game in midfield. "to this day," he jokes, "I still don't know which is my best position."

After nearly 10 years at Elland Road, the former Huddersfield man was ready to move on. It was 1983 and player-management beckoned with Bradford City.

Cherry's four-year stay at Valley Parade was a time of mixed fortunes. There was the joy of winning the Third Division Championship in 1985, followed just a few days later by the tradedy of the Bradford City fire.

"Winning promotion was great, but it just wasn't appropriate to celebrate after the fire," says Trevor. The following season City played at Odsal Stadium, the home of Bradford Rugby League Club.

"It wasn't a happy time for me," Trevor remembers. "Odsal was never designed for football. I wouldn't walk my dog on that pitch," he says. The fact was Trevor never really took to football management.

"I loved being a player, but the managerial side just didn't suit me. Money was very tight and, to be honest, it's the financial side which interests me most. I would have preferred to be managing director at Bradford. I think managers have to put up with too much outside interference and it's all too public."

On the plus side, Cherry did help build one of the best sides City had seen in years. John Hendrie, Don Goodman and Stuart McCall have all gone on to very successful careers at bigger clubs.

Today, Trevor Cherry has got what he always wanted. He runs his own promotional company and has his hands very much on the purse strings.

"Things are going really well. I miss playing but I still see the old lads at Elland Road every other Saturday."

His company recently became part of the Conrad Group. Cherry is involved in selling corporate hospitality packages. His firm arranges golf days, theatre weekends and trips to major sporting events for corporate clients.

"I don't miss football management at all. It's all too short term for me. I would like to stay with a club and help build it up over a long period, but clubs want instant success. I did have the chance to go to Sunderland when I finished at Bradford, but it wasn't for me."

Trevor has been delighted to see the progress Leeds have made since Howard Wilkinson took over in 1988.

"Just think," he says, "seven years ago we were languishing near the bottom of the old Second Division, and now we are one of the top clubs in the country again. I like Howard's teams, they're always full of great fighters."

So, as a distinguished former Leeds United defender, how does he view the current United full backs?

"I think Tony Dorigo and Gary Kelly are terrific players. There's no better pair of full backs in the Premiership," he says. Trevor Cherry may have a single minded determination to succeed both in football and now in business, but he remains essentially a family man. He would have loved to see his two sons-25 year-old lan and 22 year-old Darren- go into professional football.

"They were both interested, but it's a tough life for a player if he's not at the top level."

lan and Darren may not possess their father's football ability, but they both share dad's flair for finance. The pair of them are qualified accountants! So things are going well for the Cherry family. Trevor may no longer be actively involved in football, but he's still enjoying life. And he's done it all without having to leave home!

FACT FILE

Born: February 23,1948
Leeds apps: 476 (plus 5 sub)
Leeds goals: 31
Other clubs: Huddersfield Town, Bradford City
International: England, 27 caps
Honours: League Championship (1973-74)
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #9 på: Juli 02, 2017, 10:55:04 »
Trevor Cherry: Leeds United should follow example Dean Hoyle has set at Huddersfield Town

Trevor Cherry believes Huddersfield Town are punching above their weight as they visit another of his former clubs Leeds United.

06:25Thursday 17 March 2016

HUDDERSFIELD TOWN haven’t finished above near-neighbours Leeds United for over half-a-century since 1961-62, but when it comes to one key barometer, they most definitely have the present-day edge.
This is the considered verdict of Trevor Cherry, a man who is the most celebrated member of an exclusive group of players who are revered on both sides of the A62 derby divide, ahead of the West Yorkshire duo resuming hostilities on Saturday.

Now 68, Cherry still follows the affairs of the clubs closely and while a second successive double for Leeds over Town – something they have never previously achieved in their history – is the considerable on-pitch incentive for the hosts at Elland Road this weekend, he is minded to look at the bigger picture.

It is the view of many, not just Cherry, that Massimo Cellino’s reign at Leeds has been thoroughly tempestuous and dysfunctional in comparison to the structured goings-on down the road at Huddersfield under a widely-respected footballing figure in Dean Hoyle.

Hoyle’s duty of care for Town and place in fans’ affections have never been in doubt, in marked contrast to the situation at Leeds under an owner in whom a fair number of supporters have lost confidence, regardless of the fact that his financial input into the club has been considerable.

Cherry said: “There’s no real (league) difference now and Town have actually got that stability, despite the difference in the size of the clubs.

“Dean has done well keeping Town afloat and putting his money in and I think they are punching above their weight really. Leeds are just in the wrong division with the wrong owner, for me.

“I know the owner has put money in, but there’s all the other stuff. There’s all these superstitions – and I am not superstitious.

“I saw the (recent) Brighton game, which was very poor. But you just don’t know what is going on off the field, do you?

“Looking at Dean, he has a real feeling for the club and is steady.

“He’s a local man who leaves other people to do the job, which is what you need. He’s the best chairman I have ever known at Huddersfield by a long way.

“Leeds just need some local owners for me, even without the big money. To be perfectly honest, I’d rather see Leeds go down a division, but have a decent carry-on.”

All things considered, Cherry believes Steve Evans has made a fair fist of life as head coach, with the hosts heading into Saturday seeking a fourth successive league win for the first time since November, 2009.

But it is the medium- and longer-term horizons that Cherry is rather more concerned with and something that an upturn in form on the pitch can only partially placate for him.

Former England defender Cherry, who moved to Leeds at the age of 24 for £100,000 in the summer of 1972 – turning down overtures from Tottenham and Birmingham City to join following Huddersfield’s relegation to the second tier – added: “I actually think Steve Evans has done a good job with what he’s got and you can’t ask for much more really.

“He has got a bit of pride back in, fair dos. He seems to get what I call his pound of flesh out of his players.

“But you just don’t know what is going to happen and I feared that they would go down at one stage (this season).

“You never know what is around the corner and I just despair.”
Min første Leeds-kamp:

GeirO

« Svar #10 på: Juli 02, 2017, 11:23:04 »
Legger til at intervjuet med Cherry er 15 mnd. gammelt.
MOT

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #11 på: Juli 19, 2017, 20:55:57 »

LEEDS UTD MEMORIES‏ @MartinMarty1974  4m
4 minutes ago