Skrevet av Emne: Tema: Leeds City  (Lest 3795 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
Tema: Leeds City
« på: Juli 03, 2017, 14:12:44 »
Jeg velger å legge det under 'topic' og ikke off topic, det handler tross alt om forløperen til Leeds United og er på mange måter en del av vår historie...

Her er en artikkel om hvordan Leeds City 'gikk under'. Jeg har lest lignende før, langt mer 'forsonende' overfor hva Leeds gjorde (de fleste andre gjorde det samme, men ble ikke tatt for det - det var altså 'en av våre egne' som gikk til sak og dermed måtte gjerne ligaen gjøre noe...)

Synd forresten at vi mistet Chapman - en KAPASITET!
Etter Leeds City-tiden gjorde han Huddersfield Town til et storlag, deretter gikk han til Arsenal og startet en storhetsperiode der... :o

Tenk om han hadde kunnet gjøre dette med Leeds City :o

Illegal payments, blackmail and Herbert Chapman – the sorry tale of Leeds City

Before Leeds United proved that the city can support a top-flight football club, Leeds City showed exactly how not to do it in 15 years of chaos
3 July ~ Illegal payments, whistleblowers, alleged blackmail, crippling debt, and a large dollop of hypocrisy; Leeds City’s demise in 1919 demonstrates that several of the demons which stalk the modern game were also lurking around the time of the First World War.
The maelstrom surrounding the Peacocks’ financial upheaval almost threatened to destroy the burgeoning career of general manager Herbert Chapman; a more stringent FA hearing might have seen him facing a life ban, the ramifications of which could have radically altered the development of the sport.

City’s finances had always been precarious. Formed in 1904 and League members a year later, the club had always faced difficulties drawing crowds into the ramshackle Elland Road, with the lure of the more successful rugby side simply too strong.
Despite the construction of the Scratching Shed, which stood for over 70 years and which was clearly a statement of intent (the manager Gilbert Gillies claimed “The extra seats will enable us to garner extra revenue and invest in a higher standard of player”), City continued to labour in the nether regions of Division Two and a raft of bargain basement purchases lived down to expectations.
With the club facing re-election in 1912, the bankers decided to call in the club’s £7,000 overdraft. But for chairman Norris Hepworth’s intervention – he invested £15,000 to keep the club afloat – the Peacocks would have died there and then. The extent of Hepworth’s philanthropy was revealed during an extraordinary meeting at the Grand Central Hotel. It wouldn’t be the last time that City’s dirty linen was aired at one of the town’s premier hotels.
Chapman swept into Elland Road and campaigned vigorously to keep City in the League. On June 4, Leeds were duly re-elected and the new manager’s team finished a promising sixth in Division Two, with rampaging centre-forward Billy McLeod netting 27 League goals. Chapman’s innovations included salt baths and golf breaks, which became de rigueur for his title-winning teams at Huddersfield and Arsenal.

During the summer, Chapman signed three players, and agreed to pay them the full £208 year’s wage to the following April. An FA enquiry ruled that three Leeds players were receiving more than their permitted £4 a week; the £125 fine dished out to City amounted to little more than a slap on the wrist, but it was an indication that financial problems lingered beneath the surface.
Leeds missed promotion to Division One by just two points in the 1913-14 season. At Elland Road, Nottingham Forest were crushed 8-0; winger Ivan Sharpe and McLeod, who scored 27 goals once again, continued to receive rave reviews. Finally, Leeds were in the black, generating a £400 profit, after crowds crept up to around the 30,000 mark.
In 1914, a syndicate of Leeds sportsmen, headed by Joseph Connor, paid £1,000 for the club and an annual £250 rent for Elland Road. But the onset of the First World War set into motion a chain of events which would spell the club’s doom.
Chapman vacated his post as manager to take charge of the nearby Barnbow munitions factory and his absence brought simmering personality clashes to the fore. In 1914, he had recommended that assistant manager George Cripps take control of administration while he was away, while team selection became the responsibility of new chairman Joseph Connor.
Cripps and Connor loathed each other, and Connor threatened to resign unless the board investigated Cripps’s handling of City’s finances. The board sided with Connor and appointed an accountant’s clerk to look after the team’s books but, bizarrely, decided to let the increasingly fragile Cripps pick the team.
Ironically, Chapman’s return in 1918 worsened matters. Cripps responded to being demoted back to assistant by suing the club for wrongful dismissal and informing his solicitor James Bromley that the club made illegal payments to staff – England internationals Charlie Buchan of Sunderland and Spurs’ Fanny Walden had guested for City – throughout the war years. Connor brokered a deal, with Cripps given a payoff and (according to his chairman) providing a written undertaking not to disclose any information relating to the club’s affairs.
Embed from Getty Images

The denouement arrived before the 1919-20 season. Journeyman full-back Charlie Copeland was offered £3 10s for playing in the reserves and £4 for first team appearances. A furious Copeland demanded £6 a week and, despite being shipped out to Coventry, decided to reveal the extent of City’s illegal wartime payments to the authorities. Copeland’s solicitor happened to be James Bromley, accused by Connor of leaking sensitive information to his client.
On September 26, 1919, a joint Football League and FA Committee ordered City to produce the relevant documents for inspection by October 6 or face expulsion from the Football League. At London’s Russell Hotel, League chairman John McKenna (“We will have no nonsense. The football stable must be cleaned”) announced that Leeds City’s place in Division Two would be taken by Burslem Port Vale, as City’s ultimate failure to produce the paperwork was deemed to be an admission of guilt.
Five City officials – including Connor and Chapman – were banned for life, although Chapman later earned a reprieve after he proved he was working at the factory when the payments were allegedly made. The final act of the Leeds saga was acted out at the city’s plush Metropole Hotel, where over 30 representatives from League clubs haggled over City’s players (the Daily Mail’s headline read Going, Going, Gone), with the entire squad fetching around £10,000. Moves were soon afoot to create Leeds United, who joined the League a year later, and would eventually validate Herbert Chapman’s 1914 claim: “This city is built to support top flight football. It has to happen at some point soon.”
In the Yorkshire League, nine levels below where the original club once played, there is now another incarnation of Leeds City. Formed in 2006, they are far removed from the intrigue which destroyed their namesakes 90 years ago. Jon Spurling

http://www.wsc.co.uk/features/13836-illegal-payments-blackmail-and-herbert-chapman-the-sorry-tale-of-leeds-city
« Siste redigering: Juli 03, 2017, 16:21:22 av Asbjørn »
Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Promotion 2010

Sv: Leeds City
« Svar #1 på: Juli 03, 2017, 16:10:57 »
Vi trenger et skikkelig Leeds City topic!

Mye av det vi ser i dag i Leeds er knyttet opp imot det forløperen Leeds City sto for, både sportslig suksess og økonomisk motgang!

United We Are!!!
Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
Sv: Tema: Leeds City
« Svar #2 på: Juli 03, 2017, 21:28:07 »

http://www.wsc.co.uk/features/13836-illegal-payments-blackmail-and-herbert-chapman-the-sorry-tale-of-leeds-city
Facebook-diskusjon rundt artikkelen:
Eddie Kelly:
Leeds City were set up as the sacrificial Lamb apparently a number of clubs were just as guilty and more so ,including the other struggling new club Man Utd

apparently Leeds City refused to open their books to protect the famous Charlie Buchan . Other clubs including Man utd wouldn't speak up for City because it was suspected they had something to hide too . Man Utd was only formed in 1904 from railway club Newton Heath and they struggled more than City .

Colin Crawther:
I read about this in one of Robert Endeacott's books.(very good read too)

Rob is a sound bloke. I have read 4 of his books (including the Stranglers one). Easy to read, entertaining and informative.
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Promotion 2010

« Svar #3 på: August 22, 2017, 23:43:13 »
Jimmy Speirs

James Hamilton Speirs (22 March 1886 – 20 August 1917), commonly known as Jimmy Speirs, was a Scottish footballer who represented his country on one occasion, scored the winning goal in the 1911 FA Cup Final, and received the Military Medal during the First World War.

Jimmy Speirs.jpg

Personal information
Full name   James Hamilton Speirs
Date of birth   22 March 1886
Place of birth   Glasgow, Scotland
Date of death   20 August 1917 (aged 31)
Place of death   Ypres, Belgium
Playing position   Inside forward
Youth career
1904–1905   Annandale
Senior career*
Years   Team   Apps   (Gls)
1905   Maryhill      
1905–1908   Rangers   53   (24)
1908–1909   Clyde   14   (7)
1909–1912   Bradford City   86   (29)
1912–1915   Leeds City   73   (32)
Total      226   (92)
National team
1908   Scotland   1   (0)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Born in Glasgow, he worked as a clerk while playing youth football for Annandale. He started his adult football career with local junior team Maryhill, where he played for less than a season, before he moved to Rangers in 1905. He spent three years with the club, but won only the Glasgow Merchants' Charity Cup, before he joined a third Glasgow side Clyde. After one season, he left Clyde and Scotland, and joined Bradford City for their second season in the First Division. His greatest success came in his second season with Bradford, when he was the club's captain and goalscorer in their FA Cup Final victory of 1911, in a team featuring eight Scottish-born players.

He spent another two seasons with Bradford City, before he joined Leeds City, but after two seasons, the First World War broke out. League football continued for one more season, at the end of which Speirs returned to Glasgow.

Married with two young children, Speirs would have been exempt from conscription, but he volunteered to join the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders in 1915. He was promoted to lance corporal, corporal and sergeant, and won the Military Medal for bravery in the field, but was killed during the Battle of Passchendaele in August 1917, at the age of 31.
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #4 på: August 22, 2017, 23:45:24 »
Jeff Holmes

Remembering Jimmy Speirs (Rangers, Bradford C and Maryhill) who died in the Battle of Passchendaele 100 yrs ago
Pics by Daphne Vangheluwe

Han ligger på en kirkegård med dette navnet:

It's the Dochy Farm New Cemetery near Ypres Derek...
« Siste redigering: August 22, 2017, 23:47:46 av Promotion 2010 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #5 på: Oktober 18, 2018, 08:02:32 »
Tommo

The other piece of Leeds football history that happened 99 years ago today.

The end of Leeds City Football Club.

Marked by an auction of players (£100 - £1000 each) as well as goal posts, baths, billiard tables, kit.

#lufc #lufc99

Min første Leeds-kamp:

h.b

• Gjest
« Svar #6 på: Oktober 18, 2018, 12:58:38 »
Og draktene så slik ut.
Drakta de brukte i 1913-1919 er underveis i posten forresten. Men ikke bukse og sokker

Promotion 2010

« Svar #7 på: Oktober 19, 2018, 08:57:56 »
Det var en annen type helter i de «gode» gamle dager!

James Rhodes

On this day (19th October) in 1917, former Leeds City footballer Fred Hargrave was killed in action at Passchendaele while serving with the Royal Garrison Artillery. He scored 19 goals in 70 appearances for Leeds City. He is buried at Steenkerke Belgian Military Cemetery.

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #8 på: Oktober 27, 2018, 09:34:39 »
James Rhodes - History of Leeds

OTD in 1906, Leeds City striker David ‘Soldier’ Wilson collapsed & died during a match against Burnley at Elland Rd. Wilson served in the Boer War (hence the nickname) & joined Leeds in 1905, scoring 13 goals in his first 15 games to establish himself as a crowd favourite (1/3)

He left the field early in 2nd half complaining of chest pains but returned 15 mins later against medical advice after Leeds were reduced to 8 men through injury. He collapsed shortly after & was carried to the dressing room where he died, just as Burnley scored a late winner 2/3

Wilson was the first (and will hopefully be the only) player to die during a match at Elland Rd. A benefit match raised £96 for his widow & baby. He was just 23 years old. (3/3)

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #9 på: November 11, 2018, 18:49:55 »
Legger inn en fin artikkel om fotball og krig under den 1.verdenskrigen. God lesning om man er historieinteresserte:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/the_last_pass

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #10 på: Mai 11, 2019, 10:02:29 »
History of Leeds

OTD in 1918, Leeds City became English champions for the first and only time in its short-lived history with a two-legged play-off win vs Stoke City. Leeds won 2-0 in the first leg at Elland Rd one week earlier, thanks to goals from Billy Hibbert and Jack Peart.

1/3

After just 30 minutes of the 2nd leg at the Victoria Ground, Leeds were reduced to 10 men following a knee injury to right-half Bob Hewison (no subs in those days). With 10 mins left, Stoke scored a penalty but Leeds side clung on to win their first major trophy.

2/3

Within a year, however, the club was embroiled in a scandal involving illegal payments to players during the First World War, which would ultimately lead to its expulsion from the Football League and the creation of Leeds United.

3/3

Min første Leeds-kamp:

jackbauer68

• Gjest
« Svar #11 på: Mai 11, 2019, 11:32:01 »
History of Leeds

OTD in 1918, Leeds City became English champions for the first and only time in its short-lived history with a two-legged play-off win vs Stoke City. Leeds won 2-0 in the first leg at Elland Rd one week earlier, thanks to goals from Billy Hibbert and Jack Peart.

1/3

After just 30 minutes of the 2nd leg at the Victoria Ground, Leeds were reduced to 10 men following a knee injury to right-half Bob Hewison (no subs in those days). With 10 mins left, Stoke scored a penalty but Leeds side clung on to win their first major trophy.

2/3

Within a year, however, the club was embroiled in a scandal involving illegal payments to players during the First World War, which would ultimately lead to its expulsion from the Football League and the creation of Leeds United.

3/3

Champions of England er vel å ta litt hardt i. Høyst uoffisiell turnering i krigstid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_football_champions

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #12 på: November 17, 2021, 17:57:23 »
Leeds United tar historien på alvor!

Andy McVeigh
@pantsdanny

Leeds asked me to paint this for LUTV and a project they're doing with Academy players about our history and the WW1 truces during battle.  Just round corner from Salem Capel, birthplace of #LUFC.

Tell me  Tell me

Dylan