Skrevet av Emne: Tema: Byen Leeds  (Lest 2631 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Promotion 2010

Tema: Byen Leeds
« på: April 20, 2018, 14:48:23 »
£350m masterplan for Leeds’s ‘declining’ Holbeck moves closer

Published: 19:27 Thursday 19 April 2018
 editorial image
An ambitious masterplan to redevelop a former industrial heartland of Leeds is set to go ahead – sealing a decades-long vision for the “declining” area.

Councillors yesterday approved CEG’s sprawling plans for the Globe Road part of Holbeck, to the south of the city centre, subject to certain conditions.

The £350m proposals for up to 750 homes, potential skyscraper offices between five and 40 storeys high, as well as leisure and retail plots, would form part of the South Bank – hailed by Leeds City Council as one of the largest redevelopments in Europe – and could provide space for an estimated 10,000 to live, work and visit.

Coun James McKenna, chairman of the City Plans Panel, said that ideas for the so-called Holbeck Urban Village first began in the early 1990s and he urged the developers to “please build it”.

The “phased” regeneration is due to include five separate development “parcels” called Globe Point, Globe Square, Globe Arches, Globe Waterside and Beck Court.

Detailed plans for two offices between Globe Road and Water Lane were approved by members. Outline proposals for a mixed-use development of up to 103,900 sqm of offices, retail, leisure, hotel, health, education and community uses, parking and up to 750 new homes, along with new public spaces and landscaping, were also deferred to the council’s chief planning officer, Tim Hill, to agree fully.

A series of pedestrian routes created through the site would be supplemented by four new footbridges over the Hol Beck, five new pedestrian crossings and the narrowing of both Globe Road and Water Lane, the latter becoming one-way.

It would also involve the demolition of existing buildings and structures except a listed bridge crossing Hol Beck and the main part of a former print works.

A council report prepared for the panel members stated: “The area has been in decline for many years and a series of unrelated schemes have not come to fruition.”

Labour’s Coun McKenna told the meeting the plan is “a rather big piece of the jigsaw” in the regeneration of Holbeck.

He said: “I think it’s a magnificent scheme.

“You don’t always get the opportunity to thank developers. Please build it, please get on with it – it’s been a vision for a long, long time.”

CEG is working on designs for the site with Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios, the architects behind Leeds’s imposing Broadcasting Place, which won the International Tall Building of the Year Award in 2010.

CEG is also responsible for the £400m Kirkstall Forge site, which has so far brought a new railway station and modern office building to the city.

And the company has previously acquired the crumbling Temple Works – a Grade I-listed former flax mill in Holbeck famed for once having what is said to have been the world’s biggest room. It is understood the firm bought that building for just £1 after fashion brand Burberry backed out of its own planned refurbishment of the site.

During the meeting, CEG’s development director Jonathan Kenny reiterated the company’s commitment to the city.

He said: “This isn’t the beginning of the end of us in Leeds – it’s the beginning of the beginning.”

Members of the panel expressed concern about some aspects of CEG’s proposals for Leeds’s South Bank.

Coun Peter Gruen, for Labour questioned whether the public transport network in the Holbeck area was good enough to accommodate the proposals and unconnected applications for nearby sites.

And Liberal Democrat Coun Colin Campbell asked why plans for the outline applications – which are later subject to separate full approval – were so detailed. In reply, Mr Kenny said: “It was to set out how we thought this whole area could have been masterplanned, connected and brought forward in a way that could address some of the long-standing issues that have blighted this area.”

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/350m-masterplan-for-leeds-s-declining-holbeck-moves-closer-1-9126050/amp?__twitter_impression=true

« Siste redigering: Desember 17, 2018, 01:19:56 av Promotion 2010 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
Sv: Byen Leeds
« Svar #1 på: Oktober 31, 2018, 18:03:35 »

YorkshireEveningPost
Verified account
@LeedsNews

BREAKING Channel 4 is bringing its new headquarters to Leeds - with 300 jobs for the city: https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/whats-on/tv/leeds-chosen-as-channel-4-s-new-headquarters-location-bringing-300-jobs-1-9422253 … @Channel4

Leeds chosen as Channel 4's new headquarters location bringing 300 jobs

Published: 15:02 Updated: 16:41 Wednesday 31 October 2018

Leeds is the new home of Channel 4, it has been announced today.

The publicly owned, commercially funded broadcaster will open its new headquarters in Leeds after the Leeds City Region beat off competition from Birmingham and Manchester.

Earlier in the process, Sheffield and Hull had also been in the running.

The Leeds bid was on behalf of the Leeds City Region, which also includes Kirklees, Calderdale, Bradford, Wakefield and York.

300 jobs will be relocated from London as part of the plans.

At a meeting earlier this month, members of the West Yorkshire Combined Authority said they believed the benefits such a move could bring to Yorkshire could be “incalculable”.

Roger Marsh, chair of the Leeds City Region enterprise partnership, said: “It would be a huge win for the city of Leeds. It would also be a great achievement for the wider city region.

“Channel 4 was set up to be different. And coming to this part of the country is something very different.”

Read more at: https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/business/leeds-chosen-as-channel-4-s-new-headquarters-location-bringing-300-jobs-1-9422253
Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Promotion 2010

« Svar #2 på: Oktober 31, 2018, 22:52:59 »
BBC radio Leeds

BREAKING: Channel 4 have confirmed Leeds will be the home of their new Northern Headquarters. The city has beaten competition from Birmingham and Salford.

:) :) :) :)
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #3 på: Desember 17, 2018, 01:19:33 »
History of Leeds

OTD in 1715, Leeds's earliest known football match was played. The River Aire was frozen & hundreds of men took to the ice for a mass kickabout.  The episode is recorded in the diary of John Lucas, a teacher at Leeds Grammar School.

Pic: @leedslibraries & Information Service

Three years later, on 23rd December 1718, Leeds witnessed its first instance of football hooliganism. A group of men were playing in Boar Lane, the ball got kicked into a shop and a man was killed in subsequent fighting.

https://secretlibraryleeds.net/2016/06/17/on-john-lucas-18th-century-leeds-and-foot-ball/amp/

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

Sv: Tema: Byen Leeds
« Svar #4 på: Mars 03, 2019, 19:15:40 »
Anthony Clavane: It might be unfashionable to be so optimistic but I like to think Leeds is about to enter another golden age

Published: 14:25 Friday 01 March 2019

Is Leeds a city on the rise?

Leeds is having a moment. This thought struck me as I walked past the city’s towering Town Hall last weekend.

Perhaps it was because I was basking in the unseasonably sunny weather. Perhaps it was because I had just been told by a student – the daughter of an Essex-based friend – that she’d experienced an epiphany in the university. Perhaps it was because I had just re-read an extract from Charles Dickens’ novel The Lazy Tour of Two Idle Apprentices.

Written 160 years ago, Dickens described two passengers arriving at the railway station. “Thus, Thomas and Francis got to Leeds,” he began, “of which enterprising and important commercial centre it may be observed with delicacy, that you must either like it very much or not at all.”

Some things never change. The city still provokes extreme reactions. Why this is, I’m not entirely sure. It is one of the questions I will be addressing with fellow author James Oddy at the Carriageworks Theatre next week.

Please forgive the plug. But it really bugs me, as I’m sure you might have noticed from previous columns, and James and I would appreciate any input at our event, which closes the Leeds Lit Fest.

I like to think my beloved mum, who died two months ago, would have been impressed at the way I effortlessly segued into that plug. She was my unofficial publicity officer, loyally turning up at all my talks and plays.

She was as proud of me as I am of Leeds. I was proud when I read in GQ magazine last year that the reporter had “fallen in love” with the place. I was proud when I read in last Saturday’s Times that Keira Knightley’s three-year-old daughter keeps asking to return to the city. And when Helen Pidd, the Guardian’s north of England editor, tweeted Knightley’s comments. And when Channel 4 decided to locate its headquarters here. I could go on and on. There is a lot to be proud about these days.

Something is stirring in Dickens’ “beastly place”. A week today, the Leeds-born actor Jonny Magnanti will give a powerful reading of V, one of the greatest poems of recent times. It is Tony Harrison’s masterpiece, capturing a moment in the city’s – and country’s – history when the collapse of traditional industries undermined a whole way of life.

Some critics liked it very much, others not at all; a “torrent of filth” seethed the philistines (Mary Whitehouse, Conservative MP Gerald Howarth and The Daily Mail).

V, a long 1980s poem in rhyming quatrains, deliberately echoes Gray’s Elegy in a Country Churchyard. It is about vandalism, social division and marginalisation. But it is also, in my view, about aspiration, a lament for a golden age of ambition; an era when a new, open, meritocratic society was being forged. It was inspired by Harrison’s discovery that his parents’ grave in Holbeck had been vandalised. He imagines an exchange with the drunken skinhead who has aerosolled graffiti on the tombstone, and ruefully reflects on society’s schisms.

The distinguished cultural commentator Bernard Levin hailed it as “a meticulously controlled yell of rage and 
hope combined, a poisoned 
dart aimed with deadly precision at the waste of 
human potential.”

Despite the bleakness of its vision, however, the poem ends on an optimistic note, expressing the hope that society’s polarities will disappear – that “V” will 
come, once again, to mean “victory”.

It might be unfashionable to be so optimistic but I like to think we are about to enter another golden age. There’s the ambition of Leeds 2023, a year-long arts festival, of Leeds Lit Fest, which celebrates a vibrant and thriving literature scene, and of Marcelo Bielsa’s brave new Leeds United, on the cusp of returning to the Premier League after 15 years in the wilderness.

As I passed the Town Hall the sun illuminated its Corinthian columns and imperious stone lions, which will always be associated with Cuthbert Brodrick’s ambition.

The Victorian visionary’s opus put the city on the map, attracted thousands of tourists and was hailed as an architectural gem.

Most of all, of course, it announced to the world that Leeds was having a moment.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/anthony-clavane-it-might-be-unfashionable-to-be-so-optimistic-but-i-like-to-think-leeds-is-about-to-enter-another-golden-age-1-9624801/amp?__twitter_impression=true
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #5 på: Mars 03, 2019, 19:38:19 »
Perhaps it was because I had just been told by a student – the daughter of an Essex-based friend – that she’d experienced an epiphany in the University

Kan ikke være andre enn Elysia :D  :D  :D
Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Promotion 2010

« Svar #6 på: Mars 03, 2019, 23:36:28 »

A Street called FOOTBALL.... :o
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #7 på: Mai 18, 2019, 17:49:59 »
Debbie young

Love walking round Leeds and seeing all the kids ( and parents) in Leeds kit. We may be scarred from the last week but we’re proud again x #mot #lufc

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #8 på: Mai 26, 2019, 13:53:46 »
Wikipedia med en flott oversikt over Beeston, Leeds!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeston,_Leeds#Beeston_Hill

Beeston Hill finner man også andre steder i verden, bl.a. på St.Croix,  US Virgin Islands.  :)
Min første Leeds-kamp: