Skrevet av Emne: Graham Smyth - den 'nye Phil Hay' i YEP  (Lest 5536 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
Graham Smyth - den 'nye Phil Hay' i YEP
« på: Juli 24, 2019, 15:41:57 »
YorkshireEveningPost
Verified account
@LeedsNews

BREAKING: After one of the toughest interview processes since Sir Alan Sugar last said "You're hired." - we're pleased to introduce you to your new go-to #LUFC journalist, our new Chief Football Writer is @GrahamSmyth #MOT @LeedsUnitedYEP @YEPSportsdesk

Lykke til - det er store sko å fylle. :D 
Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
Sv: Graham Smyth - den 'nye Phil Hay' i YEP
« Svar #1 på: Juli 24, 2019, 15:46:13 »
Pr tiden er hans twitterbio:

Graham Smyth
@GrahamSmyth
Chief football writer at the Yorkshire Evening Post. Ex Derbyshire Times/Sheffield Star and Worksop Guardian. Dad to four. Very slow amateur triathlete.

derbyshiretimes.co.uk

Hans farveltweet:

Graham Smyth
@GrahamSmyth

What a brilliant three years it's been covering Chesterfield. Thank you to all the Spireites who read our coverage and to all the @ChesterfieldFC directors, managers, staff and players for their help. Still on the CFC beat 'til Monday.

Looking forward to next week and a new job.

Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #2 på: Juli 24, 2019, 15:48:34 »

Oppdaterer bio as we speak:

Chief football writer at the Yorkshire Evening Post. Ex Derbyshire Times/Sheffield Star and Worksop Guardian. Dad to four. Very slow amateur triathlete.

derbyshiretimes.co.uk
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #3 på: Juli 24, 2019, 16:03:11 »
Han startet dagen på ca 5k følgere.

10k nå… :D 
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

RoarG

« Svar #4 på: Juli 24, 2019, 16:44:36 »
Han startet dagen på ca 5k følgere.

10k nå… :D
Får nok å gjøre.
"Jeg tror ikke på Gud, men etter Bielsas ansettelse må jeg nok revurdere", Roar Gustavsen, januar 2020

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #5 på: Juli 24, 2019, 21:20:17 »
Siden vi er inne på Yorkshire Evening Post - de har også styrket staben med Moscowhite. :)
(som kolumnist på tirsdager)

Do adjust your Twitter: the YEP have announced the new Phil Hay, and their new chief football writer is Graham Smyth (pronounced Smyth, apparently), who for the last three years has been covering Chesterfield for the Derbyshire Times and Sheffield Star.
He's at https://twitter.com/GrahamSmyth
where he seems to cope quite well; these tweets about a road closure yesterday (trust me here) were promising.

I have also heard good things about him at some point during that time but I can't remember where; I think it was some sort of round up of good local reporters. I can't pretend I've paid much attention to Chesterfield, even if they have John Sheridan as their manager.

YEP editor Hannah Thaxter says:
“He prevailed out of a competitive field in a tough interview process because of his fresh ideas and contacts and his ability to engage readers with his compelling writing and analysis across all platforms. Graham will join the newsroom on Monday ready for what will no doubt be another dramatic season for LUFC, in its centenary year.”
Graham joins Lee Sobot and Joe Urquhart to complete the reporting team, which follows the departure of Phil Hay.

Hannah added: “Their combined knowledge and skillsets will ensure that the YEP’s coverage of Leeds United continues to lead the field both on and off the ball.”

There is some more detail in the YEP's announcement, that nobody outside the business has picked up on yet, so it's just between you, me and the trade press for now:

The Yorkshire Evening Post’s coverage of the club will also be bolstered by the signing of a new columnist, Daniel Chapman, aka Moscowhite, who writes for The Square Ball.

Daniel has co-edited Leeds United fanzine and podcast The Square Ball since 2011, taking it through its 25th anniversary, and six nominations for the Football Supporters’ Federation Fanzine of the Year award, winning twice. He’s also the author of a new history of the club, 100 Years of Leeds United, 1919–2019.

Hannah said: “He is a devoted lifelong fan, with a sharp wit, a critical eye and an encyclopedic knowledge of the club which he brings to bear in his informative, thought-provoking and often irreverent musings.”

I'll be doing a column for the YEP every Tuesday, and if you're on the MoscowCast here, I've cleared it with them that I can give you an audio version. If you're not, you'll get an email with a link (and depending on the state of the YEP's website, maybe the full article, but don't tell them that). I'll still be doing all the other things I do.

This came about because when Phil Hay left, he had a conversation with Hannah Thaxter about how to go about replacing him. Apparently my name came up, Hannah suggested me as a columnist, Phil told her that was "a genius idea" and he told me to get in touch. I spoke to Hannah on Monday and decided to give it a whirl.

Again, between you and me, I'll be paid by the column and I won't be paid much, so it's not great from that point of view. But the YEP — print and online — is a different audience from TSB, and hopefully one that might get interested in reading TSB and/or the book I've done. So balancing the extra exposure and 'status' that comes with a (still just about) big name newspaper against the extra work, I think it's worth giving the YEP my weekly take — ahem, my "thought-provoking and often irreverent musings" — on our promotion season, and seeing what happens.

The other slight crossover with my 'professional' life today is the new 'Take Us Home' documentary series that I'm sure you've seen the trailer for; you'll have to forgive me if I keep a mild distance from the hoo-ha around that, as it's been made by my former employers and, well, let's just say I've been a much happier soul since I decided to make them 'former' employers. The trailer looks good, the series will be interesting.
If, in the course of that or anything else, Marcelo Bielsa refers to 'illusion', as he did in Australia: "One of the things is to improve, with illusion, the things we made last season" — be bewildered no more. Unless it was only me that didn't get it. But thank you Mark! — who says it's very likely a literal way of translating 'hopefully'.

Kemar Roofe will be fit again one day, with illusion, but not for a four weeks; the official website has managed to announce that news by saying his injury "was not as severe as first feared" and that his "high ankle injury" is "a sprain" — but the guy is out for a month. A month! I suppose it makes it less likely that he'll be sold in this transfer window. Leeds Live have had their calendars out: he's likely to miss Cagliari, Bristol City, Nottingham Forest, Salford City, Wigan and Brentford.

He'll also miss our just announced Under-23s friendly on Saturday 3rd August, 2.30pm, away to Scarborough Athletic, and this Saturday's fringe friendly against Samu Saiz's Girona, which is confirmed as taking place at Manchester City’s training facility.

The heatwave here is even suppressing NewsNow. Sevilla's reserve keeper Sergio Rico, who spent last season on loan at Fulham, would like to come back to England; that's set tongues wagging about a swap for Kiko Casilla, although his high wages might be a stumbling block for Sevilla, as well as Victor Orta's claim that he's turned down benches in Spain for the first team in Leeds. Cagliari are beating us and Newcastle in the race for Boca Juniors midfielder Nahitan Nandez; and Ivan Sunjic, the Croatian midfielder touted as our replacement for Kalvin Bear, is being described as a "dream signing" for AC Milan.
« Siste redigering: Juli 24, 2019, 21:21:56 av Asbjørn »
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Johnnyj

« Svar #6 på: Juli 26, 2019, 16:26:23 »

The Yorkshire Evening Post’s coverage of the club will also be bolstered by the signing of a new columnist, Daniel Chapman, aka Moscowhite, who writes for The Square Ball.

Daniel has co-edited Leeds United fanzine and podcast The Square Ball since 2011, taking it through its 25th anniversary, and six nominations for the Football Supporters’ Federation Fanzine of the Year award, winning twice. He’s also the author of a new history of the club, 100 Years of Leeds United, 1919–2019.

Den podcasten hadde jeg ikke hørt om en gang. Viktig å få med seg så mye input om Leeds som mulig!  8)

Flere podcaster som omhandler Leeds:

Jeg kan veldig sterkt anbefale Side before Self, som er en norsk Podcast om Leeds. De legger ut nesten ukentlig. Veldig dedikerte, og flinke!

Vi har også White Noise som sikkert de fleste her kjenner til, med Runar, Andreas og Anders bak mikrofonene.

Av engelske podcaster hører jeg stort sett på Talking Shutt. Sikkert ikke så mange som kjenner til denne, men den kan varmt anbefales også.

Jeg abonnerer også på en som heter Inside Elland Road. De er tette på klubben, men legger ikke ut så jevnlig, og kan bli litt for informative for min smak.

« Siste redigering: Juli 26, 2019, 16:28:34 av Johnnyj »

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #7 på: Juli 30, 2019, 20:53:58 »
Moscowhite:
If it's felt like there's been a lack of news coming from the YEP's newbie Graham Smyth, yeah, sorry; we had him locked in a room for an hour recording for the TSB Podcast. It's the exclusive first interview with the new royal bride, er, I mean, new chief football writer. He's very nice! A soft spoken Rangers fan from Ulster with fond memories of our defeat in the Battle of Britain in 1992 — yeah, actually, I hate him.
Smyth (pronounced 'Smith', as in Walter) did manage to get one transfer (or not) update out the door:

Hva er det med YEP og skribenter som er fans av skotske klubber :o
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #8 på: November 22, 2019, 23:52:49 »
Visst savnes Phil Hay i YEP men mange av oss velger jo å følge ham via betaling i the Athletic.

Etterfølger Smyth i YEP er like fullt en godgutt, bra skriverier driver han jo også.

Men i kveld velger eg å dele 'godgutt-siden hans' :)

Graham Smyth
@GrahamSmyth

Replying to
@ben_machell
Absentmindedly sang the Kiko/Pablo song in the house, I know, I know, not a good look for an impartial journalist but it's catchy, I'm not a robot Ben, and now my 2yo gets it wrong and sings 'Paaablo United' all the time and it's equal parts cute and annoying.

PS! Hele twittertråden der er jo ganske fornøyelig :)
« Siste redigering: November 22, 2019, 23:56:10 av Asbjørn »
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #9 på: Februar 05, 2020, 23:03:21 »
Graham har et drøyt halvår bak seg nå:

Sitat
Serious question Graham, are you enjoying working for YEP and covering LUFC and if so is it what you expected re the volume of support either at the grounds or on social media. I’m always interested in what reporters think covering LUFC from the great Don Waters up until today.

I love my job, always have done. I didn't really have any idea what to expect but it's all a bit mad. A different animal altogether.
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #10 på: Mars 10, 2020, 23:02:06 »
Sitat
@GrahamSmyth
 hi Graham, im not expecting that you should come over all sycophantic Leeds fan, but how has expectation and reality married up for you in terms of watching this leeds team?

Replying to
@beersftw
I had no idea. I wasn't prepared at all. It's been a bit mental but it's been brilliant.

Sitat
Cheers for the response. I have a feeling that whilst the team may achieve more, the football will never again be this good or this pure.

Some of the football has been incredible. The counter attacks in particular.
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan