Skrevet av Emne: LEGENDE: Bobby Collins  (Lest 3658 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Hallgeir *

LEGENDE: Bobby Collins
« på: Januar 13, 2014, 20:54:58 »
We are saddened to announce the passing of our former skipper Bobby Collins. Bobby, 82, sadly passed away at approximately 3.30pm on Monday afternoon following a battle with illness. The Glasgow-born Bobby, who made 167 appearances during a five-year stint at Elland Road between 1962 and 1967, scoring 26 goals, was named Footballer Of The Year in 1965 and was instrumental in the rise of the club during Don Revie's tenure. Bobby, a Scotland international midfielder, was signed by Revie from Everton for £25,000 and after leading the team back to top-flight football in 1964, he almost captained the side to a league and cup double the following season. The midfielder's playing career spanned over two decades and also included spells with Celtic, Bury, Greenock Morton, Oldham Athletic, and Shamrock Rovers. He also had a spell playing and coaching in Australia. Bobby also managed Huddersfield Town, Hull City, and Barnsley, and had two spells coaching with Leeds. Speaking on Monday evening, Bobby's friend and former team-mate, Eddie Gray said: "In my opinion Bobby Collins was probably the most influential player in the history of Leeds United. He will be sadly missed by all who knew him and played with him." Our thoughts are with Bobby's family and friends at this time. - See more at: http://www.leedsunited.com/news/article/90m4jnapb79f1ajeq55lar4a4/title/bobby-collins#sthash.kuWSrCWb.dpuf

En av de store, mener mange.

RIP
« Siste redigering: Januar 14, 2014, 00:17:54 av Promotion 2010 »
Super Leeds since 1968

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
Sv: Bobby Collins er død.
« Svar #1 på: Januar 13, 2014, 21:16:55 »
RIP Bobby! VG-Svea har også tidligere tweetet meg at han syns Bobby er den mest undervurderte LU-spilleren. Han legger ingenting tilbake i dag heller:

Knut E. Svegaarden ‏@VGSvea  11m 
@PerrySve Collins var enorm. Han gjorde Bremner og Giles til menn.

Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

sportcarl1

« Svar #2 på: Januar 13, 2014, 21:41:14 »
tråkigt, en  viktig kugge i tidiga reviebygget

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #3 på: Januar 13, 2014, 22:26:53 »
Sønnen til Les Cocker er aktiv med gml bilder i kveld :)

Dave Cocker ‏@CockerDave 6m
Bobby Collins was always welcomed back to Elland Road, here he visits for a days training in 1970's #lufc

Dave Cocker ‏@CockerDave 38m
Bobby Collins, Don, Dad & Big Jack, 1965 January 'Training'  South Leeds Golf Club, Middleton #lufc

« Siste redigering: Januar 13, 2014, 22:30:00 av Asbjørn »
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Promotion 2010

« Svar #4 på: Januar 14, 2014, 00:17:26 »
Legenden var dessverre dement og bodde på et hjem de siste 10-15 årene.

Var med å skape klubben til den første storhetstiden!

RIP
Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

Promotion 2010

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

Sv: LEGENDE: Bobby Collins
« Svar #6 på: Januar 14, 2014, 00:24:05 »
He was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in 2002. Speaking in 2008, his wife, Betty, said: “One thing [he] hasn’t lost is his football skill. If you kick a ball towards him he can still do a lovely little backheel.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/leeds-united-legend-bobby-collins-82-dies-1-6370602

:D
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #7 på: Januar 14, 2014, 13:15:10 »
Om du vil lese deg opp på 'den mest betydningsfulle spilleren i Leeds Uniteds historie' (sitat Eddie Gray)

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/players/collins1.htm
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #8 på: Januar 14, 2014, 21:08:40 »
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Promotion 2010

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #11 på: August 29, 2014, 07:38:28 »
http://m.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/road-name-honour-on-the-cards-for-late-leeds-united-hero-1-6810612

En vei blir oppkalt etter Bobby Collins. ☺

Collins would not be the first United hero to have a street named in his honour, with Revie Road and John Charles Way already in place near Elland Road.
« Siste redigering: August 29, 2014, 07:40:06 av Promotion 2010 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #12 på: November 04, 2014, 21:55:26 »
@Thomkirwin: At the official unveiling of 'Bobby Collins Way' on Elland Rd #lufc http://t.co/LMPFAURnMI

:)
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #14 på: Desember 04, 2019, 18:07:21 »
I dag får klubben Freedom of the City Award, de som var i klubben 1968-74.

Blant dem er strengt tatt ikke Bobby Collins.
Likevel er det ham Eddie Gray trekker frem!

Dette er for så vidt ikke noe nytt, Don Revie har sagt han var hans viktigste signering, en såpass perifer person som VG-Svea skriver det samme... Men likevel, blant alle stjernene i Don Revies Leeds, trekkes altså frem en som ikke var med på en eneste av trofèene de vant...

When Don Revie's Leeds United men brought glory days to Elland Road they were standing on the shoulders of a giant

Leeds United’s Revie Boys were standing on the shoulders of a giant when they brought the glory days to Elland Road.

By Graham Smyth  Wednesday, 4th December 2019, 8:45 am

That giant was just 5ft 3ins tall, wore a size four boot and was supposedly entering the twilight of his career when he arrived at United in 1962 as a 31-year-old.

But Bobby Collins did not leave the Whites for another five years and by the time he departed for Bury in February 1967, he had cemented a place in the club’s folklore by helping them to avoid relegation, captaining them to a Second Division title and leading a charge to second place in the First Division and an FA Cup final.

He also built the foundations for the glorious years to come.

The influence of the Scottish midfielder was felt both during and after his time in the white of United and made him, in Eddie Gray’s eyes, Leeds’ most important player, in an era full of legends.
Collins’ presence made an immediate impact on a 16-year-old Gray.

“When I first came to the club I realised what an inspiration he was,” said the winger, who went on to make 454 league appearances for United.

“Bobby was the main man at the football club.

Don Revie, the manager of Leeds United FC, filming Bobby Collins, the team captain (Pic: Getty)

“It’s no secret, Don has been on record himself, and he signed a few good players including Johnny Giles and Allan Clarke, that he felt Bobby was probably his greatest ever signing.

“Probably one of the best signings made in British football, never mind for Leeds United.
“I played with great players, there were great players even before our time, but I don’t think there’s ever been a more important player who has walked through the gates than Bobby.”

Collins had already been a league title winner with Celtic and played 133 top-flight games for Everton, but he did not come to Leeds to merely see out his final footballing days.

Eddie Gray played over 400 league games for Leeds United in their glory days (Pic: Getty)

“He was supposed to be coming to Leeds in the twilight of his career and he ended up taking the club from the old Second Division into the First, challenging for the title, getting to the ’65 cup final,” said Gray.

His diminutive size was no barrier to bossing a game or dominating an opposition midfield, a burning desire to compete and to win more than making up for what he lacked in stature.

“On the football pitch he was a giant,” said Gray. “He was a fierce competitor. The game was a bit different then, it was a little bit more physical then and Bobby would stand up to everybody.
“There was no way anyone could bully him out of a game.”

The tag of midfield general did not just stem from his combative nature, Collins could play – a fact happily recognised by the other side of one of Leeds’ fiercest rivalries.

“Bobby shirks nothing; they never come too big for him, but it is his football brain that makes him invaluable,” said Matt Busby.

Gray recalls watching in awe with other youngsters as Collins would bend free-kicks into the net.
He was a player who got the best out of others, forming a particularly effective partnership with outside-left, Albert Johanneson.

He brought others into the game and he kept everyone on their toes.
“He never gave us a minute, because he was always telling us to do this, and do that, and do something else,” said Billy Bremner.

Collins was, evidently, the leader’s leader.
By the time Bremner, Gray and Leeds United had won two First Division titles, two European Fairs Cups, an FA Cup and a League Cup, Collins had departed Elland Road, an horrific injury sustained against Torino in 1965 in his own words ‘effectively ending’ his Leeds career.

But the ‘Wee Barra’ had left such a big mark on the club that Gray gives him credit for setting United on the path to glory.
“When he first came to the club they were fighting for survival and once they did that and got the ball rolling, all the players bought into Don’s beliefs and he was a great believer in Bobby.

“He made sure you knew what was expected. He made sure that there was that competitive, winning mentality at the football club.

“I think Bobby was the man who turned them into a winning team.
“Bobby was the man helped get it all started.”
Collins, who passed away in 2014, will receive the same Freedom of the City Award that Leeds City Council will today bestow on the Revie boys, the players of the club’s finest era, in a civic reception.

He will be in the thoughts of his former team-mates.
“It’ll mean a lot to me [to represent players who have passed], especially two of the most inspirational characters in the history of the club, namely Bobby and Billy,” said Gray.
“All of my team-mates will all be thinking about the players who aren’t with us.
“It’s a great honour for all the team.

“There were a few boys brought up as Leeds boys themselves, it’s fantastic for them.
“It means everything from a personal point of view but, more to the point, to the team, the city.
“You look back with fondness at your time with those players, I’m just grateful I had the opportunity to play with them.”

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/latest-leeds-united-news/when-don-revies-leeds-united-men-brought-glory-days-elland-road-they-were-standing-shoulders-giant-1331783 
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan