Skrevet av Emne: Når begynte nedturen?  (Lest 15134 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

RoarG

Sv: Når begynte nedturen?
« Svar #60 på: September 05, 2016, 22:30:54 »
Her serveres det tre grunner til at Leeds rykker ned denne sesongen.
http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/these-3-reasons-are-why-leeds-united-are-destined-for-the-drop-agreed/
Suppe på en spiker. Men hva gjør man vel ikke for å få klikk på siden sin?

For at dere skal slippe å klikke:
1) Uberegnelig ledelse
2) Få spisser
3) Få stoppere
Spørsmålet er om nedrykk er en realistisk mulighet?
"Jeg tror ikke på Gud, men etter Bielsas ansettelse må jeg nok revurdere", Roar Gustavsen, januar 2020

Josch

« Svar #61 på: September 06, 2016, 00:55:32 »
Med fasit i hånda så var det nok feil eiere som tok over Leeds i 1996. Caspian hadde ikke god nok erfaring med fotballklubber og hele prosjektet ble en slags luksusfelle der moroa ble betalt med gjeld og våre gode talenter. Jeg tror det var her det gikk galt. Leeds burde vokst langsommere og ikke hatt en styreformann fra Leeds som kjøpte CL-plass med kredittkort. CL-plassen førte til enda mer kjøpegalskap og en spiral som endte feil.

« Siste redigering: September 06, 2016, 00:58:25 av Josch »

JacobScreek

• På juniorlaget
  • *** LEEDS UTD - the greatest team in the world***
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #62 på: September 06, 2016, 01:28:29 »
Nedtur???

We are Leeds...MOT!!!
We all love Leeds...and we're going UP!!!
ALAW???
We Are The Champions...Champions of Europe !!!!

#LeedsLeedsLeeds
There's only ONE United - LEEDS UNITED!
MOT...

B_Ød

« Svar #63 på: September 06, 2016, 08:03:02 »
personlig er jeg mer interessert i når oppturen begynner,,,,
Ups & Ups!!

Sydhagen

« Svar #64 på: September 06, 2016, 08:11:59 »

Ansettelsen av Monk var første steg av oppturen.
Neste steg er når MC selger seg ut denne høsten.
"Paynter, a striker whose danger factor is akin to a blind sniper, who has no fingers, or a gun."

B_Ød

« Svar #65 på: September 06, 2016, 11:44:17 »

såååå....da har den begynt da jo!!!

GET IN!!!!!!!!!
Ups & Ups!!

Sydhagen

« Svar #66 på: September 06, 2016, 12:30:45 »

såååå....da har den begynt da jo!!!

GET IN!!!!!!!!!

:D 8)
"Paynter, a striker whose danger factor is akin to a blind sniper, who has no fingers, or a gun."

RoarG

« Svar #67 på: September 06, 2016, 15:25:46 »
1 seier av 5 mulige kan ikke kalles opptur.
"Jeg tror ikke på Gud, men etter Bielsas ansettelse må jeg nok revurdere", Roar Gustavsen, januar 2020

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #68 på: Januar 01, 2017, 12:15:41 »
...ikke lett å velge emne til denne artikkelen.

Sitater fra Harte som gir DOLs bokutgivelse mye av skylden, samt 'dyre spillere som kom inn (jeg 'leser' Fowler her, kan han mene Rio også???) og ødela team spiriten... Økonomien nevnes knapt men det legges ikke skjul på at det også var en hovedårsak...

Lenge siden vi har debattert dette nå...
PS! Amitai er en av Square Ball-bidragsyterne som nå har klatret litt i systemet som journalist - så han er en 'kjenner' i høyeste grad!!!  (flere av sakene hans fra Square Ball-tiden har blitt oversatt og publisert i TPN)

Leeds United sat on top of the Premier League on New Year's Day in 2002... they were a homegrown side that collapsed amid dressing room divides, court cases and managerial woe
Leeds United beat West Ham to go top of the Premier League on New Year's Day
But by the end of January 2002 they had slumped to fifth in the English top flight
Leeds failed to win any of their next seven games and ended the season in fifth
Manager David O'Leary is often blamed for his book 'Leeds United on Trial'
Issues developed between the young players and highly paid ones in the squad

By Amitai Winehouse For Mailonline
Published: 09:46 GMT, 1 January 2017 | Updated: 09:46 GMT, 1 January 2017

A decade and a half ago, an unfamiliar name ended New Year’s Day top of the Premier League. It was not Manchester United, not Chelsea, not Arsenal or Liverpool. After a brilliant 3-0 win against West Ham, Leeds United sat atop the pile.

The English game’s greatest sleeping giants hurtled downwards within three years. Life at Elland Road, until recently, has not been great. Just 15 years ago, though, David O’Leary was in charge of an exciting young side that looked like they could be the team of the new millennium.

They were one of the last great homegrown sides of English football. Just look at the list of players who lined up against West Ham - of those Jonathan Woodgate, Ian Harte, Alan Smith, Gary Kelly and David Batty all came through the club’s Thorp Arch academy. On the bench were three more academy produced players, Paul Robinson, Stephen McPhail and Harpal Singh, while only fitness woes kept out Harry Kewell.

Leeds United sat atop the Premier League on New Year's Day in 2002 after a 3-0 win

A young, exuberant side overwhelmed West Ham at Elland Road to climb into first place

Their most famous adventure - a run to the Champions League semi-final - had already come and gone. Even so, the 2001-02 season suggested there were more highs on the way. By the time the Hammers visited Elland Road, Leeds had only lost two games in the league all season. They had lost just four all year. Victory propelled them to the top of the pile.

It was no real surprise. Rio Ferdinand was in his first full season with the club and was already showing signs of the player he would become. In Kewell, Leeds had one of the most exciting young players in the country. Only injuries stopped the Australian from becoming one of the world’s best. That core, developed by the club, had been former manager Howard Wilkinson’s last great gift to the club. George Graham taught a more experienced side how to defend. Then O’Leary came in and allowed, as he often called them, his ‘babies’ to attack without fear.
Harte, who played 288 games for Leeds, spoke to Sportsmail and recalled the camaraderie in the side: ‘It was a team mostly of young lads, with a few more experienced players.

Rio Ferdinand was in his first full season with the Whites as they stormed to the top

Ian Harte praised a side filled with homegrown, young players while speaking to Sportsmail
‘I wouldn’t say they were old, they were just experienced relative to the younger lads, like Olivier Dacourt. It was massively important that we had those older players to help us and guide us as well, like Lucas Radebe.’

The game against West Ham was a perfect example of how the side operated. Mark Viduka opened the scoring within three minutes. He doubled that advantage with double the number of minutes on the clock. Robbie Fowler, a new arrival from Liverpool a month earlier, added the third and final goal in the 50th minute.
The signings of Fowler, Ferdinand and a number of other new faces have always been pointed to as the reason behind the financial collapse. Focusing just on that ignores an on-field collapse that had nothing to do with the club’s balance sheet.

Robbie Fowler, a December arrival at Elland Road, scored the third goal against West Ham
Leeds were deservedly top, but would go on a staggering seven-game run without winning. O’Leary’s side not only missed out on the title, they also missed out on Champions League football after finishing fifth. They went from a team on form to one completely bereft of it.

What changed? The most common theory surrounds the release of O’Leary’s book.
Leeds had been faced by a problem surrounding two of their best players. Woodgate and Lee Bowyer spent two years in court between 2000 and December 2001 due to an incident outside a nightclub in which a student suffered severe injuries. Bowyer was cleared while Woodgate was convicted of affray. It had not impacted performances on the field.

Leeds midfielder Lee Bowyer had been on trial but his case finished in December 2001
Harte explains: ‘If you look at Lee Bowyer, some of the best football he played for Leeds United was when this trial was going on. We were playing against Barcelona or AC Milan, he was stuck in a courtroom all day, and he was able to switch off and focus on the game. He was outstanding.’

A comment chairman Peter Ridsdale made in a press conference afterwards sticks. He told journalists that while both players would face disciplinary proceedings, it had not been Leeds United on trial.
The name of O’Leary’s book covering his spell in charge of the Whites? ‘Leeds United on Trial’.
The timing checks out. O’Leary’s book came out on January 3. Its name came as a shock to the club and the players. Days later, they lost against Cardiff, a second-tier side.

Club chairman Peter Ridsdale commented it had not been Leeds United on trial to the media

But manager David O'Leary (right) released a book - Leeds United on Trial - on January 3, 2002
‘Should David have brought it out then?’ Harte muses, ‘If he probably looks back now, he’d probably think no. I think he probably wishes he could rewind time.
‘I didn’t think it probably was the right time to bring the book out, if I’m being honest with you.’
It was not just O’Leary’s book that was causing ructions. The team spirit - best characterised by the fan and player singalongs that occurred after European games - was disappearing.

Bowyer, despite his innocence in a court of law, was fined four weeks wages by Leeds and made to perform 18 months of community service. It would lead to him refusing to sign a new contract and become the first player of the core squad to leave in a cut price deal to West Ham. A key player, one who drove the team forward, had been lost.

Harte believes that O'Leary would probably want to reconsider that decision in retrospect
The divisions were deeper than just one man. Harte recalls: ‘If I’m going to be honest with you, we had a great kind of togetherness before these players came in. There was probably one or two who came in, and, me being honest, upset what we had in the group.
‘They came in on a hell of a lot of money, certain big egos and the lads were all together and they came in and broke it up a bit.

‘I think it was key, spending all the money and certain individuals that come in upset the dressing room a little bit and then it spiralled downhill from there.’
'Probably as a group of players we should have nailed them. But because they were “bigger” players than what we were, more experienced, we couldn’t really say anything to them and from then they created a few cracks in the dressing room.’

Harte claimed that expensive arrivals caused fractures in the Elland Road dressing room
The team collapsed. Leeds lost 3-1 away against Newcastle to be overhauled at the top on January 12. By the 19th they were third, by the 30th they were fifth.
It was the beginning of the end for a side that would be relegated in 2004. They dropped down again to League One. Only now, sat fifth in the Championship, do they look close to returning to where, in the words of Harte, they ‘belong’.
But it was not always that way. The team of the new millennium once looked like living up to that tag. On January 1, 2002, they looked closer than ever to doing so.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4079648/Leeds-United-sat-Premier-League-New-Year-s-Day-2002-homegrown-collapsed-amid-dressing-room-divides-court-cases-managerial-woe.html#ixzz4UVW4IPMK

Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Blank_File

« Svar #69 på: Januar 01, 2017, 15:16:46 »
Virkelig "A good read". Denne boka hadde jeg helt glemt.

B_Ød

« Svar #70 på: Januar 01, 2017, 16:30:36 »
Nydelig tråd å starte året med  ::)
Godt nytt år alle  ;)
Ups & Ups!!

baste

« Svar #71 på: Januar 01, 2017, 17:01:36 »
Da Leeds forhørte seg om venstrebacken til Scum, og Fergie tilfeldigvis var til stede på kontoret, og spurte om å få Cantona. Da begynte i allefall oppturen for ett lag. Fy f...snakk om nedtur

Ellers så ønska æ alle her inne ett riktig godt Nytt Ã…r

We are Leeds

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #72 på: Juli 19, 2019, 21:34:05 »
Moscowhite ser at Bridges er ambassadør i Australia for tiden, og reflekterer over sortiene til Bridges, Viduka, Smith m.m.
Til slutt kommer han innpå om kanskje noen skal bruke kommende sesong på 'å gjøre absolution' for avslutningen av forrige sesong.

Uansett, jeg syns det er interessant med 2019-blikk på 2004, av en som har vanket i Squareball-miljøet i England helt siden den gang...

The Square Ball Week: Absolutely
In 2019-20 articles, Leeds United, The Square Ball Week by Moscowhite • Daniel ChapmanJuly 19, 2019

Leeds United’s Australian tour has given us some odd sights, although sadly we’ve been denied the joy of Ezgjan Alioski hitting a eucalyptus high with his new family of koala bears, or a United reprise of Leeds Rhinos’ guest appearance on Neighbours. (Ian Smith, who played Harold Bishop, is apparently a big fan of the Peacocks but is no longer on the show.) But we have seen, as a club ambassador and at fan parties, Michael Bridges, former Leeds United striker, and former Leeds United pariah.

Twenty years ago we might have expected Harry Kewell to one day be posing for selfies with the fans travelling to Perth and Sydney — his wife, Sheree Murphy, did at least tick off the Neighbours cameo years ago. But then, there are pariahs and there are pariahs, and then there’s Harry Kewell, a player whose disgrace is so total that this week’s announcement of a decorative wall on Lowfields Road listing every Leeds United player of the last hundred years was followed by several social media announcements from fans determined to find Kewell’s name on the list and remove it. Even seeing his name typed out uncensored in this article will be enough for some fans to close the tab and read no more, and I don’t resent anyone if they do.

In 1999 Kewell was only practising to become the person that, one day, we would all hate. I recently watched two old games from the 1999/00 season, the two legs in the UEFA Cup against Roma; after the rumour about him coming out of retirement and signing for Leeds, I was curious to remember how we stopped Francesco Totti for 180 minutes. The answer was that we didn’t, but Alfie Haaland, Lucas Radebe, Nigel Martyn and, in the first leg, Jonathan Woodgate, so thoroughly closed his access to strikers Vincenzo Montella and Marco Delvecchio that Totti’s skills and passes were just bouncing a ball off a wall.

Kewell scored the winner in the second leg and was the headline hero; he’d vied with Totti throughout to see who could have the bushiest half-mullet, who could arrange their collar with the least just-woke-up-like-Cantona care. Kewell was watched by Serie A scouts in Rome, provoking what was becoming a pavlovian response from his chairman, Peter Ridsdale, who started talking about giving Kewell a new contract, four months after his last one. Kewell will have been happy to hear that, but he didn’t mind the Italian interest either; he said he hoped to play in Serie A one day, not what fans who’d seen him growing up with Eddie Gray’s hand on his shoulder were expecting to hear.

It was Michael Bridges who caught my eye in these games, though. He’d signed at the start of the season, and was just emerging from the shadows of Niall Quinn, Kevin Phillips, and Sunderland’s reserves during their promotion campaign, as the undisputed smash hit Leeds signing of the summer (Michael Duberry, Danny Mills, Darren Huckerby hadn’t made much impact yet; Eirik Bakke was exceeding expectations). He first bloomed, like Gary Speed, in an evening match early in the season against Southampton at The Dell. In 1991 Speed had pinged the tense trampolines of The Dell’s nets with two long range strikes; Bridges scored three, starting by controlling a header on the side of his foot and lofting a volley into the top corner, then stroking home a low cross from close range and finishing up by heading in a near-post corner. Later in the season he started celebrating goals by pretending to eat a sandwich, and Bridges was like that; despite his inventive delight when he controlled a football and suits that seemed inspired by the interior decor at Majestyk’s nightclub, artifice slid off him, revealing a 21-year-old player not yet come to terms with how good he could be.

Watching Bridges play against Roma, knowing how it will all turn out, made me want to weep. He and Kewell had the task of keeping the ball upfront and away from Totti to give Leeds’ back-line a rest, and while Kewell chose to aim counter-attacks forward at full speed, Bridges concentrated on possession. We’d seen Lee Chapman do this, backing his large arse into centre-halves while the ball bounced near his legs but out of his control. Bridges was different. He skipped and dribbled around some of Europe’s best defenders, beat them again to prove a point and buy some time, swivelling and swaying and throwing in one last drag back before drilling a pass wide to a teammate only he had seen running. Sometimes he’d decide faster, trying a no-look backheel to divert a pass down the wing to Lee Bowyer; once, the ball didn’t reach Bowyer, so a minute later Bridges tried the same thing again, and it did.

Alan Smith was just a substitute of inconvenience at this point, ready to irritate the defenders Bridges had made weary; Mark Viduka, the prolific Celtic striker, was being linked with a transfer to Bayern Munich. David O’Leary had made a clever signing, Jason Wilcox for the wing, so Kewell and Bridges could play through the middle together, Kewell trying to emulate Thierry Henry, Bridges already coming close to Dennis Bergkamp. It’d be funny how things turned out, if it wasn’t so damn sad.

Harry Kewell elbowed his way out of Leeds in summer 2003, taking advantage of new chairman Professor John McKenzie’s naivety to ensure he went to Liverpool and got the best deal for him, ahead of other clubs offering better deals for Leeds. Come winter Leeds were sliding towards relegation and, in the last days of the January transfer window, Mark Viduka agreed terms with Middlesbrough, Paul Robinson had a medical at Tottenham, and Newcastle bid heavily for Alan Smith. Only one player left, though; Michael Bridges, a few games into his comeback from three years of injuries, went on loan to Newcastle, who sent central defender Steven Caldwell on loan the other way.

“I felt I’d been a bit stale at Leeds and I’d been banging on the door to get out on loan,” said Bridges, who despite playing for Sunderland was a lifelong Newcastle fan. “My contract is up in the summer and I wasn’t offered a new deal. So whatever happens I won’t be going back there.” To Leeds fans stinging from what felt at the time like relentless battering, these words felt like another needless blow, as did Bridges’ reference to missing a one-on-one chance against Newcastle a few weeks earlier that would have earned a vital point; it was a good job he missed, he joked now, because he might not have got the transfer.

This was no time for quips. Bridges’ humour fell with a heavy clang in Leeds, followed by the falling tower of David Batty’s reputation, when he was rumoured to be the ringleader of players refusing to help the club by taking a wage deferral (Batty later put his side: he’d told the club they’d save more money, and have a better chance of staying up, if they sold the first team players who were thinking more about their lucrative summer transfers and put faith in those who wanted to stay). Lucas Radebe was trying to calm things down; but Seth Johnson was being booed for his performances, and there were calls for Eddie Gray to give up his job as caretaker manager so Kevin Blackwell could try to save the club. Nobody knew who our heroes were supposed to be anymore, but we knew Michael Bridges wasn’t one of them. In 2009 a thread about most-hated Leeds players started on a web forum, with Bridges at the top of the list.

The only one left who looked like a hero was Alan Smith, but Leeds supporting writer Rick Broadbent was wise before the fact in his report in The Times on the weird wake for Leeds and Smith at the end of the season’s last home game against Charlton, after relegation a week earlier. While Smith was mobbed by fans and lifted aloft, Broadbent was looking at Mark Viduka, sitting at the back of the West Stand with his son on his lap, scorer of 59 goals in 130 league games; compared to 38 in 171 by Smith. While the supporters clung to Smith, not wanting to let him leave, Viduka was “slipping away quietly to footnote status.”

Viduka had spent most of the season in a rage status, complicated by the serious illness of his father at home in Australia. When he was at Elland Road, Viduka was in Peter Reid’s office, telling the manager what he thought about his management, then in the dressing room, telling the players, too; “If you want to go down, stick with this fella.” He scored eleven league goals, seven of them in twelve league games leading up to the decisive Bolton match, when Viduka’s goals felt like all that stood between Leeds and the abyss; take those goals out and Leeds would have been ten points worse off. (Smith, in the same period, scored three goals, earning four points.) But his rage had become self-destructive; a second yellow card for kicking the ball away at Leicester to protect a vital win was followed by two yellows in the first half at Bolton when Viduka inexplicably self-destructed, and destroyed Leeds’ hopes with him. It said something about his quality and his commitment that without him there was no hope. But it said something else that Leeds fans now didn’t care if he left, so long as they could still hold Smithy.

Alan Smith had been raging since his debut, but it was never clear exactly what he was angry about. Maturity seemed to have made him more stupid, not less; while once he’d been able to get two Roma players sent off in one incident just by breathing near them, the red cards had all been coming his way for some time — in Valencia, in Cardiff — seven in all for Leeds, plus a two-match ban earlier in the season for throwing a bottle into the crowd. Now it was like everyone else had a route planner for getting inside his head. Despite that, his tireless running — no matter if for little reward — made him untouchable in the eyes of the fans, who at the end of the Charlton game all wanted nothing but to touch him and say goodbye. “There has not been a bigger hero here,” said Eddie Gray, whose own career made him more than worthy of consideration. But he was about to be sacked that night, with a game at Chelsea still to play, while the cheers for Smith still echoed around Elland Road.

What was strange about it all, as Broadbent pointed out, was the gap between Smith’s words and actions. He’d been asked about relegation the summer before, but insisted he wouldn’t leave Leeds, even if the worst happened. “It takes a better type of person to stay,” he said. Now, he was saying, “With supporters like that, it’s going to be hard to go away,” but, hard as it was, that’s what he was going to do. Instead of being the better type of person and staying, now he said, “If an opportunity to come back came along then I would grab it with open arms.”

Everyone seemed happy with that. Michael Bridges and Mark Viduka would never be welcome back; nor Harry Kewell, although we had no clue then of how firmly he would go on and bury himself. But Smith was lifted on our shoulders above them all as the hometown hero, who was going to do what he had to do, and then return. And that lasted for one more week.

“People say that Leeds and Manchester United are big rivals, but we’re not even going to be in the same division, so it’s not even a rivalry,” Smith said. “You sign for Scum, you don’t come back,” the fans sang, as Smith strolled around Stamford Bridge in the season’s final game. His reply to the fans was a one-fingered salute. And that was the end of another hero.

What we’d held up at Elland Road the week before was not a legend, or the greatest hero the place had ever seen, but an empty vessel onto which we’d projected our imagined version of what Leeds United players should be like. Like a mirror ball Smith reflected that light back onto us, and we each danced in our particular slice of the glow. But if you hold a mirror ball too high and drop it, you’ll find it smashes into a million pieces, and that the inside was hollow all along. Sweep the pieces into a dustpan and deliver them to his next club.

It’s good that Michael Bridges is grinning with the fans in Australia now, and that Mark Viduka is appreciated again as a phenomenal goalscorer. Their crimes against Leeds were, in retrospect, minor, at a time when everything that happened at Leeds happened in a major key. Bridges lacked the guile to hide his jokes about doing Newcastle a favour, and was too honest to pretend he wasn’t frustrated by not playing for Leeds; I still don’t know what was going through Viduka’s mind at Bolton, but I do know that without his performances in the previous two months, Bolton would have been an irrelevant day anyway. Bridges and Viduka were guilty of mistakes in words and in deeds and on the football pitch; set against Smith’s unrepentant attitude as he crossed the Pennines, and Kewell who defined a category all of his own, they barely deserved to become the pariahs they were. There’s even a case for Smithy, although it won’t be that makes it.

But all this, I think, has something to do with this coming season, when Leeds will be seeking promotion, and Kiko Casilla, Liam Cooper and Gaetano Berardi, who many fans wanted tarred and feathered after the play-off semi-final, will be seeking absolution. Shambolic defending against a multi-million pound forward-line in Australia this week didn’t help their rehabilitation, but the uneven environment of a made-for-showbiz friendly game seems a perverse venue in which to form judgements. Leeds United’s future — and theirs — doesn’t depend on being able to contain Pogba and Rashford this season, but on being able to contain Luton and Stoke, and on putting right the wrongs of last April and May when April and May come round again. Reputations are formed, but they’re not fixed, not when there’s still football to be played. ◉

(Are you reading the BUFF? A daily email newsletter by Moscowhite for twenty pence a week. If you enjoy these reports, your money supports more: Click here to get your daily BUFF.)
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

DenHviteYeboah

« Svar #73 på: Juli 19, 2019, 22:10:58 »
Nedturen startet i øyeblikket Terry Venables ble ansatt >:(
Fikk null ut av troppen >:(

auren

« Svar #74 på: Juli 20, 2019, 01:46:54 »

Optimistisk...

Nedturen startet i 1919. Vi har hatt 3-4 OK år siden den gang, ellers bare sorgen...

auren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Guardiola said: 'You know more about Barcelona than I do!'"
Marcelo Bielsa, 16.01.19, etter Spygate-foredraget sitt.

DenHviteYeboah

« Svar #75 på: Juli 20, 2019, 08:17:16 »

Optimistisk...

Nedturen startet i 1919. Vi har hatt 3-4 OK år siden den gang, ellers bare sorgen...

auren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hehe, vi var faktisk et av de beste lagene i Europa i flere år på denne tiden...

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #76 på: Oktober 10, 2019, 23:44:33 »
Ingen egen tråd for Michael Bridges? :o

Her forteller han om hvordan laget falt sammen etter nyttår 2000

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/michael-bridges-leeds-united-premiership-17067030

As 1999, the century, the millennium, ended the Whites were the best team in England, top of the Premiership with 14 wins, two draws, four losses and 44 points from their opening 20 matches.

Eighteen matches later and the Whites were third, 22 points behind Manchester United. Seven wins, four draws and seven losses came from those last 18 outings. It was a capitulation.

“The reason we fell short, we were top at Christmas and there's only to teams that have failed to win the Premier League when they're top at Christmas, Liverpool twice by one point and three points, we lost by 22 points to Man United,” said Bridges.
…

“For me there's two things that affected us that season. One, we didn't know how to win it. We hadn't been there before. It was untouched territory and we lost sight.”

Much of that O’Leary side were young, finding their feet and surpassing all expectations. Lee Bowyer (22), Bridges (21), Ian Harte (22), Harry Kewell (21) and Jonathan Woodgate (19) all made more than 30 league starts in that season.

Tragedy off the field inevitably played its part on the pitch as football took a backseat in the players’ minds.

…

Even before events in Turkey in April 2000, United had their first wobble with only two wins from seven matches between December 28 and February 26.
Another five matches went by without a win either side of the UEFA Cup semi-final first leg.
…

“It didn't sit well and I think a lot of the lads were petrified. That was the decline of our season and the naivety of not winning it before.
….

“I know Fergie (Sir Alex Ferguson) won it with a young team and they went on to win it again. They knew how to get there, we lost sight and think that came from having a young team at the time and an inexperienced manager that didn't know how to get there in O'Leary.

“He was untouched. We were living on the crest of this thing and something came and just blindsided us completely.

“It was a tragedy that affected everybody. Everybody related to the football club, not just the players. Everybody.”

Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Reaney

« Svar #77 på: Oktober 10, 2019, 23:56:27 »
 Having an inexperienced manager that didn't know how to get there in O'Leary. Mannen var med andre ord ikke god nok.

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #78 på: Oktober 11, 2019, 00:21:23 »
Having an inexperienced manager that didn't know how to get there in O'Leary. Mannen var med andre ord ikke god nok.
Samme kunne jo sies om Alex F våren '92.

Hadde ligaen totalt i egne hender men failet miserable :)

(utrolig hva litt erfaring kan gjøre, noen år senere)
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Reaney

« Svar #79 på: Oktober 13, 2019, 11:04:39 »
Nedturen til Leeds kan i høyeste grad knyttes til salg av sine beste spillere. Dessverre en helt naturlig konsekvens av at det er penga som rår og at det er et verdenshav mellom PL og  Championship. Rykker vi ikke opp i 2020 så skjer det samme igjen.  I går får en av våre tidligere spillere omtalen verdensklasse.
https://www.berlingske.dk/sport/hareide-hylder-muren-schmeichel-han-er-verdensklasse

Se "Alt om fotball":
http://www.altomfotball.no/element.do?cmd=match&matchId=963453&tournamentId=6251&seasonId=341&useFullUrl=false