Skrevet av Emne: Leeds United i økonomisk uføre 1919, 1924, 1985 og 2004-7  (Lest 1424 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Promotion 2010

Leeds United i økonomisk uføre 1919, 1924, 1985 og 2004-7
« på: November 13, 2010, 15:54:50 »
At fotballen i Leeds har vært i økonomisk uføre tidligere vet vi vel alle. De siste årene er godt dokumentert, men det har skjedd i riktig gamle dager også.

Leeds City bukket under grunnet ureglementerte spillerkontrakter og utbetalinger i 1919.

Nystartede Leeds United rykket opp til toppserien i 1924 for første gang. Da de samme år vinket fravel til sin styreformann, så måtte de plutselig betale ut mannen. Hele £ 35.000 måtte klubben skrape sammen. Ikke rart at de startet kampanjen "Lend Us A Fiver" for å få inn summen fra supporterne.

Som dere ser av denne lille videoen så var det godt med folk også i de gode gamle dagene på Elland Road:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ0-w1rAxXc

Film-tekst:
"Leeds United are no strangers to financial dfficulties as this silent vintage clip shows. In 1924 Leeds faced repayment of a £35,000 debt to the outgoing chairman. This led to the clubs 'Lend Us A Fiver' campaign to try and raise the cash. If only 7,000 fans offered over a fiver the club would be able to pay back the debt."

« Siste redigering: November 13, 2010, 16:15:11 av Promotion 2010 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

Tom S

Sv: Leeds United i økonomisk uføre 1919, 1924 og 2004-7
« Svar #1 på: November 13, 2010, 16:13:22 »
Sleit vel med økonomien på 80-tallet også.
Solgte Elland Road til kommunen i 1985 for £2.5M.
COME ON LEEDS !!

Andersen

Sv: Leeds United i økonomisk uføre 1919, 1924, 1985 og 2004-7
« Svar #2 på: November 14, 2010, 06:49:30 »
vi får håpe for guds skyld at klubben har lært nå .Økonomien er på rett vei, vi har en klubbeier som bruker pengene vettigt, de få vi har!, og vi får vel inn noe mere penger når det gjelder sponsorer, og tv. rettigheter enn tidligere sesonger. LEEDS4EVER.

Promotion 2010

Sv: Leeds United i økonomisk uføre 1919, 1924, 1985 og 2004-7
« Svar #3 på: November 14, 2010, 10:34:39 »
The Mighty Whites forteller dette om kampen som den lille filmsnutter fra 1924 er fra:

Life in the top flight could not have started with a more difficult challenge. The first day of the season had Leeds at home, but the opposition was one of the strongest teams in the country, Sunderland.

The West Yorkshire public flocked to Elland Road to see the start of a new era, and the attendance of 33,722 was a club record for a League match. The Yorkshire Post reported the day thus: "A knowledge of the training methods led to the expectation that United players would lack nothing in physical fitness, but the speed and alertness of the whole side and the incisive methods of the forwards astonished even the most fervent admirer ... the Sunderland half backs ... were overwhelmed by the whirlwind attacks."

A header from Swan "greeted with a wild celebration of enthusiasm" gave Leeds an unexpected advantage, but the lead lasted just two minutes before Sunderland equalised. There were no further goals and the result was welcomed by Leeds fans as an indication they might just be able to survive at the top end of the game. But even as the team savoured their first point in the First Division football, their shortage of funds was continuing.

After the match, the club began a 'Lend us a Fiver' campaign to urge supporters and well wishers to help raise funds. Chairman J Hilton Crowther had backed the club's cause heavily following his arrival from Huddersfield Town, and Leeds United were indebted to him to the tune of £54,000. He now wanted to step down from the role of Chairman and wanted £35,000 of his money back. Few could have grounds for complaint, and a meeting that night was told "He has acted as a sort of fairy godfather to this club ... if 7,000 rank and file supporters interested in the maintenance of high class soccer subscribe a £5 note each, then the problem would disappear." Among those joining the appeal were the MP for Leeds South East, James O'Grady, and Crowther's successor in waiting, Major Albert Braithwaite, who was in cajoling mood. "Unfortunately many people appear to be oblivious to the obvious advantage of Leeds United retaining the position they have won," he said.

Så pengene var like vanskelig å oppdrive da som nå...  ;)
Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973