Skrevet av Emne: Leeds United: Newsroom  (Lest 4427 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

MartinR

• På juniorlaget
  • One time Leeds, Always Leeds
    • MSN Messenger - Reitan96@hotmail.com
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
Leeds United: Newsroom
« på: Mai 15, 2008, 08:08:26 »
CARLISLE COUNTDOWN

United boss Gary McAllister is preparing his players for part two of the Play-Off semi-final showdown with Carlisle United.

After losing the first leg 2-1 at Elland Road on Monday, United head for Brunton Park on Thursday knowing victory is a must if the promotion dream is to stay alive.

The squad were back at Thorp Arch on Tuesday for a light session, and were training on Wednesday ahead of the trip to Cumbria.

Carlisle are protecting a one-goal advantage, but United have lost only twice on the road this year and travel in confident mood.

"It's going to be exciting up there," said the manager.

"They are the home side and they have to try and protect their lead. Are they going to try and score?

"They'd probably have been happier taking us up there with a 2-0 lead."

United, who will be backed by 1600 fans at Carlisle, beat the Cumbrians at Elland Road in April, but suffered a first league defeat of the season at Brunton Park back in November when three home goals ensured a 3-1 reverse under Dennis Wise.

"I believe we played well in the first half up there and they played well in the second," said the manager.

"There's a lot at stake on Thursday. There's two attractive sides trying to get a place at Wembley.

"I feel we're capable, and the game has to be played with a bit of thought. We'll go there looking to win.

"The boys have had plenty of rest, they had a warm-down, and we'll go about things professionally."

The second leg comes just 72 hours after the first meeting and after a frenetic opening to the Elland Road clash, both sides will face a challenge keeping the pace.

The United manager also has an additional worry after Jermaine Beckford, who hadn't played for a month, was replaced after less than hour of the first leg.

"The fact the turnover is quite quick will mean there will be tired legs come the last 10/15 minutes at Carlisle," added McAllister.

"Jermaine's a bit sore, but evryone else is fine and we're picking from the same 19/20. I felt Jermaine was just starting to feel it a bit."

If you haven't got a ticket for the game you can watch the match live at Elland Road.

The game will be screened in the Banqueting Suite and all who enter will go into a free prize draw to win a pair of tickets for the Play-Off final should we get there.

Doors open at 5.30pm and hot and cold food will be served. Admission is free.

MartinR

• På juniorlaget
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
Sv: Leeds United: Newsroom
« Svar #1 på: Mai 15, 2008, 08:09:17 »
ALL TO PLAY FOR

After Monday's 2-1 Play-Off semi-final first leg defeat at the hands of Carlisle, you can now get 4/1 on Leeds United to win promotion.

The price offers great value for punters with United set to head north in confident on mood on Thursday for the second-leg, after Dougie Freedman's late goal at Elland Road ensured only one goal stands between the two sides.

If United make it mission accomplished at Brunton Park and qualify for Wembley, Gary Mac's men are likely to be installed as red-hot favourites to win promotion against either Southend or Doncaster in the final on May 25.

So why not take the 4/1 now on offer?

United are favourites to win the second leg at Carlisle - 5/4 to win the game in 90 minutes - but Paddy's are offering some generous correct score bets.

6/1 Leeds 1-0
9/1 Leeds 2-0
8/1 Leeds 2-1
22/1 Leeds 3-0

15/2 0-0
11/2 1-1

MartinR

• På juniorlaget
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #2 på: Mai 15, 2008, 08:09:54 »
BECKFORD WAIT

Gary McAllister says he will leave any decision surrounding Jermaine Beckford's fitness until late, ahead of Thursday's Play-Off semi-final second leg at Carlisle.

Our leading goalscorer returned from an ankle injury to play a part in Monday's first leg, but he was withdrawn with less than an hour on the clock.

The striker is now facing a race to be fit for part two of the clash at Brunton Park, and the boss says he will wait before making a firm decision on whether to name Becks in his starting line-up.

"It was plain to see on Monday he wasn't 100 per cent fit," said the boss.

"We took a gamble and barring a fantastic save from Westwood he would have got us a goal.

"I've got a tough decision now in the next day or so. He's responded to treatment again, and it's settled again, but we'll wait and see.

"It'll be a late call."

Tresor Kandol and Anthony Elding will be the players on standby to partner Dougie Freedman up front if Beckford fails to shake off the problem.

The boss will take an unchanged squad to Brunton Park, with Alan Thompson named among the 20-strong travelling party.

The experienced midfielder is now fit again after injury, and could come into the reckoning for a place on the bench for the must-win clash.

"He is travelling with us and he is part of the squad," confirmed the boss.

United head to Cumbria aiming to overhaul a 2-1 deficit to book at place at Wembley in the Play-Off final on Sunday May 25.

MartinR

• På juniorlaget
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #3 på: Mai 15, 2008, 08:10:51 »
DUO RUNNERS-UP

Striker Jermaine Beckford and goalkeeper Casper Ankergren have come runners-up in the League One 2007/08 PUMA Golden Boot and PUMA Golden Glove awards.

The leading scorers and shot-stoppers from all three divisions of The Football League are set to receive specially designed golden trophies to mark their respective achievements in all competitions this season.

The winner of the Golden Boot for the Championship is Wolverhampton Wanderers' prolific striker Sylvan Ebanks-Blake. The ex-Manchester United player has notched 25 goals this season, including 13 for previous club Plymouth Argyle before his move to Molineux in the January transfer window.

The Golden Glove goes to West Bromwich Albion's veteran keeper Dean Kiely who recorded 18 clean sheets, as he helped the Baggies clinch the Coca-Cola Championship title.

In League One, Trinidad & Tobago star Jason Scotland added a Golden Boot to his winner's medal by scoring 28 goals for Swansea City. While Nottingham Forest goalkeeper Paul Smith, runner-up 12 months ago, recorded 25 clean sheets to help his side secure Championship football next term.

Jermaine was second leading scorer with 20 goals while Casper kept 22 clean sheets and conceded just 30 goals in his 43 league games.

Peterborough United's Aaron Mclean registered 33 goals in his first full season at London Road to take the League Two Golden Boot. Milton Keynes Dons' French goalkeeper Willy Gueret won the League Two Golden Glove award with 23 shut-outs as his side stormed to a League and Johnstone's Paint Trophy double.

GOLDEN BOOT

Championship

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake - Wolverhampton Wanderers 25 goals
Kevin Phillips - West Bromwich Albion 24
James Beattie - Sheffield United 22
Stern John - Southampton 19

League One

Jason Scotland - Swansea 28 goals
Jermaine Beckford - Leeds United 20
Nicky Forster - Brighton and Hove Albion 19
Rickie Lambert - Bristol Rovers 19
Adam Boyd - Leyton Orient 17

League Two

Aaron Mclean - Peterborough United 33
Jack Lester - Chesterfield 27
Scott McGleish - Wycombe Wanderers 26
Andy Bishop - Bury 25
Michael Boulding - Mansfield Town 25

GOLDEN GLOVE

Championship

Dean Kiely - West Bromwich Albion 18 clean sheets
Wayne Hennessey - Wolverhampton Wanderers 17
Boaz Myhill - Hull City 16
Adriano Basso - Bristol City 14
Lee Camp - Queens Park Rangers 14
Paddy Kenny - Sheffield United 14

League One

Paul Smith - Nottingham Forest 25 clean sheets
Casper Ankergren - Leeds United 22
Dorus De Vries - Swansea City 22
Neil Sullivan - Doncaster Rovers 21
Clayton Ince - Walsall 19
Keiren Westwood - Carlisle United 19

League Two

Willy Gueret - Milton Keynes Dons 23 clean sheets
Wayne Brown - Hereford United 21
David Stockdale - Darlington 19
Frank Fielding - Wycombe Wanderers 15
Joe Lewis - Peterborough United 15
« Siste redigering: Mai 15, 2008, 08:12:26 av MartinR »

MartinR

• På juniorlaget
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #4 på: Mai 15, 2008, 08:11:24 »
NO TICKET? DON'T TRAVEL!

Leeds United fans are being advised NOT to travel to Thursday's Play-Off semi-final second leg at Carlisle without a valid match ticket.

The club's allocation of just 1600 sold out immediately, and fans are being asked not make the trip to Cumbria without tickets.

There are no tickets remaining for the away section and Carlisle will not be selling tickets on the night of the game.

As an alternative option, the club are offering fans the chance to watch the game at Elland Road, and screens will be showing the action in the Banqueting Suite.

All fans who enter will go into a free prize draw to win a pair of tickets for the Play-Off final should we get there.

Doors open at 5.30pm and hot and cold food will be served. Admission is free.

MartinR

• På juniorlaget
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #5 på: Mai 15, 2008, 16:30:30 »
CRESSY'S UNITED HOPE

Former striker Richard Cresswell is backing Leeds United to win through the Play-Offs to book a Championship return.

Cressy, a promotion winner with Stoke this season, following his late summer move, has been following the fortunes of United closely, and he is hoping to see the lads beat Carlisle on Thursday to move a step closer to a promotion of our own.

"It's been a fantastic season for Leeds," Richard told Yorkshire Radio. "I was disappointed the club never got the points back - I thought they would.

"It's a fantastic club with fantastic supporters, and the chairman has put a lot of money into the club.

"I still speak to Dougie quite a lot and people will know my family are Leeds supporters so I know what's going on most of the time.

"I hope they do it and I'm sure they will do it. The club deserves it, the fans deserve it and the chairman deserves it as well."

Cressy was with United during pre-season before his switch to Stoke and the striker says he is not surprised by the form shown by fellow marksman Jermaine Beckford this term.

Becks joined the club in March 2006 - two months before Cressy and Co took part in the Championship Play-Off final against Watford - and has bagged 20 league goals this term.

"I'm not surprised at all," he said. "I knew when he first came he needed games under his belt, and he did that at Scunthorpe last season.

"He's carried it on, he's picked up all the awards, and he's got what he deserved."

Cresswell, of course, was part of the last United side to reach the Play-Offs, although he is reluctant to pass on any advice to the class of 2008.

"I'm not one to ask because I've lost three Play-Off finals," he winced. "They have a great manager and I'm not going to say what they need to do.

"I think they'll all know."

Cressy will be a keen spectator on Thursday night, his own season having finished two weeks ago when Stoke drew with Leicester to clinch the second promotion spot to the Premiership.

The Potters have been partying, and Cressy has been able to share the moment with former United favourites Dominic Matteo, Stoke's captain, and Danny Pugh.

"It's been a fantastic year," added Cressy. "One we deserve. The league table doesn't lie. Tony Pulis put a good set of lads together and it's a year I'll never forget.

"I'd been there or thereabouts with Leeds, and it's nice to be involved with a promotion winning side.

"Obviously there's some former Leeds players here, but they're good lads and good players and that's why the gaffer brought them here."

MartinR

• På juniorlaget
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #6 på: Mai 15, 2008, 16:31:45 »
WE CAN DO BETTER

United boss Gary McAllister is demanding an improvement from his players ahead of Thursday's Play-Off semi-final second leg showdown at Carlisle.

Macca's men head for Carlisle, trailing 2-1 after Monday's first leg at Elland Road, and the game is simply must-win if United are to stand a chance of reaching the final at Wembley on Sunday week.

Dougie Freedman's late goal was vital in the tie, pictured, and the boss firmly believes his players can perform at a higher level than during the first game.

"I didn't think we did anything well, we can be so much better," he said. "The work rate is there - it wasn't for the lack of effort - but we made some poor decisions and our ball retention was poor.

"All the things I think have improved over the past few months we let ourselves down with. There's so much at stake, but good players learn fast, and they'll take eveything on board and look to improve.

"There was tension in the air, but that comes with Play-Offs and what's at stake. We got a desrerved goal in the end."

With Alan Sheehan serving the final game of his three-match ban, Bradley Johnson, pictured, will continue at left-back at Carlisle on Thursday night.

"He's the best suited at the momemt," explained the boss. "Darren Kenton has an injury, and he gives us a balance because he is naturally let-footed.

"It's a team game and it's a squad game and you have to be able to cope with these things."

Having been favourites going into Monday's first leg, United are now 4/1 to win promotion, and Carlisle are the bookies favourites to win through and secure a place at Wembley.

"I was reading before the game at Elland Road that we were favourites, but they'll be favourites now," said Macca.

"We go in with less pressure and we're underdogs. What we need to do is show a reaction and win the game. It's simple. We have to win. Monday will have hurt their pride.

"I trust the players I have here and we can do better. It's going to be exciting. We have to fully focused and fully concentrated.

"We want to be the team that scores that first goal, but you have to prepare for other side of things as well. If they score early and it's 3-1? Anything can still happen."

United's away record has been terrific this season and the club have lost just once on the road - at Huddersfield - since Gary Mac took over in late January.

"My players have produced some high pressure results on the road," he added. "We are more than capable. We got results at Doncaster, Millwall, and Yeovil so these players know how to play on the road.

"We need someone to get a hold of things. It'll be electric, it'll be exciting,  and we're going to go for it."

United will be backed by 1600 fans at Brunton Park - fans without tickets are advised not to make the trip - but live commentary will be broadcast on LUTV.

Fans also have the chance to watch the game on big screens in the Banqueting Suite at Elland Road.

Admission is free, doors open at 5.30pm, and all who enter will be entered into a free draw to win a pair of tickets for the final should we get there.

MartinR

• På juniorlaget
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #7 på: Mai 15, 2008, 16:33:54 »
LEAGUE THANKS!

Leeds United's presence in League One has lifted the division's crowds to a record high.

A Football League statement issued on Thursday morning confirms: "This season saw Coca-Cola League 1 record its highest set of attendance figures for 36 years with nearly four and a half million fans going through the turnstiles.

"In total, crowds rose by 6.7%, taking the average crowds up to just under the 8,000 mark."

With well over 600,000 passing through the Elland Road turnstiles for league matches, almost 20 per cent of those near 4.5m who attended League One matches watched their football at Leeds.

Our highest crowd of 38,526 for the visit of Gillingham was the best attendance in the entire Football League this season and was the best for a third tier fixture for 30 years.

Our average of 26,546 was also the highest average in the division by some margin - almost 7,000 higher than promoted Nottingham Forest - and was the highest for some years.

In addition, we also broke records galore away from home.

A total of 21 clubs saw their highest attendance of the season for the games against ourselves, and our presence attracted record gates at Bristol Rovers Memorial Stadium, Brighton's Withdean Stadium, and Doncaster's Keepmoat Stadium.

Carlisle also boasted their highest attendance for a league game for three decades, Walsall touched a near Bescot best as did Bournemouth for their new-look home.

Indeed, our away allocation sold out on all bar three occasions.

The Football League statement also said: "Crowds at matches in the Coca-Cola Football League have broken the sixteen million barrier for the fourth consecutive season. In total, more than 16.2m supporters attended the 1,656 matches played during 2007/08.

"The Football League has enjoyed a sustained period of attendance growth since the mid-eighties with crowds more than doubling in that time. In recent seasons gates have reached their highest levels for nearly 50 years."

Interestingly, Football League Chairman Lord Mawhinney said:  "I would also like to congratulate League clubs on the efforts they have made to fill their grounds. On the pitch, they have provided another season of exciting, competitive football."

MartinR

• På juniorlaget
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #8 på: Mai 15, 2008, 16:38:58 »
SPECIAL OFFERS

Paddy Power are offering a range of 72 different markets for Thursday's Play-Off semi-final second leg at Carlisle United.

You can also bet-in-running via the Leeds Paddy Power betting site to help you make the most of the value on offer.

For straight match odds over 90 minutes, a Leeds win is 11/8, 9/4 the draw, and Carlisle are 9/5.

It is, of course, a game Leeds have to win. Away goals don't count double, so a 1-0 scoreline in our favour after 90 minutes would be enough to take the tie into extra time. Penalties are also a possibility and Paddy's are offering 10/1 on United to progress via a shoot-out.

15/8 Leeds Utd qualify for the final
12/1 Leeds to qualify for the final in extra time
10/1 Leeds Utd win a penalty shootout

With Gary Mac leaving any decision on Jermaine Beckford's fitness until late, the focus could again switch to Dougie Freedman as our main attacking threat. Dougie has scored three times in two appearances against Carlisle already in the past five weeks.

90 minutes Freedman betting

13/2 Freedman 1st goal
23/10 Freedman scores at anytime
4/1 Freedman scores first for Leeds
17/1 Freedman scores 2 or more
5/1 Freedman scores and Leeds win

Paddy's are also offering a special on defender Paul Huntington, who returns to his hometown for the big game.

13/1 Huntington scores at anytime
33/1 Huntington scores 1st goal

A spokesman for Paddy's said: "It's going to be great game, lets just hope the lads get the right result!"

abbe

• Gjest
« Svar #9 på: Mai 16, 2008, 09:21:13 »
Hvorfor ser vi ikke slikt språk i norske aviser?
"Eleven white knights swept into the county yesterday and left behind a state of desolation worthy of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. When the cavalry ride again, their blood-stained banner will fly at the only stage befitting of a squad who have long since abandoned the concept of surrendering alive. "

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/leedsunited/Howson-shoots-Leeds-United-to.4090966.jp

MartinR

• På juniorlaget
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #10 på: Oktober 01, 2008, 17:23:48 »
Best Record Wins It?

United boss in running for manager of the month...

Gary McAllister has been nominated for the Coca-Cola League One Manager of the Month award for September.

Macca has the best record of any manager in League One, having won six successive matches in all competitions.

United scored 16 goals during the month of September and won four league matches, including a 2-0 success at Carlisle, a JPT tie against Bradford, and a Carling Cup third round clash with Hartlepool United.

It's the first time the club have won six successive matches in all competitions since David O'Leary was at the helm in 1999.

Gary's rivals for the September award are Scunthorpe manager Nigel Adkins, who has presided over five straight wins, Millwall's Kenny Jackett, who has recorded four league wins and a JPT defeat, and Oldham's John Sheridan.

Oldham have won only two of their four leagues during the month of September, drawing the other two, and suffered defeat to Morecambe on penalties in the JPT.

The winner will be announced on Thursday afternoon and full details will appear on www.leedsunited.com.

MartinR

• På juniorlaget
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #11 på: Oktober 01, 2008, 17:25:59 »
KEEPING IT CLEAN
 01 Oct 2008
Two clean sheets now for goalkeeper Dave...

Dave Lucas admits he has taken great satisfaction from successive clean sheets in the league - but the goalkeeper insists winning games is the most important thing.

Dave kept a clean sheet against Crystal Palace in the Carling Cup, but after keeping a first league shut-out at Carlisle 10 days ago, United followed up by snuffing out Hereford last weekend.

"You do get massive satisfaction out of clean sheets," said Dave.

"First and foremost all you want is to score one more goal than 'them', but maybe with five minutes to go in a game you do think about the chance of a clean sheet.

"It was a great result at Carlisle, and again it was good to get the win against Hereford.

"I didn't touch the ball apart from goal-kicks in the first half on Saturday, but we got there in the end.

"When we did score, we gave them a couple of chances, but we more than deserved what we got.

"You have to be on your toes all the time in case something comes your way, but if it stays like that until the end of the season I'll be happy."

Dave is enjoying a new lease of life at Elland Road, having taken over the goalkeeping shirt from Casper Ankergren.

He made his seasonal debut against Palace in the cup and, other than sitting out the third round tie against Hartlepool, he has been ever present since August 26.

"Casper's given me a lot of support," said Dave. "He does the same as I do when he's playing.

"We room together and train together, and want what's best for each other."

Stifler

« Svar #12 på: Oktober 01, 2008, 22:45:25 »
 ;D

hvem styrer denne topicen? hmm ;D
-Nr 2 er den første taperen-

MartinR

• På juniorlaget
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #13 på: Oktober 03, 2008, 13:49:51 »
BECKS' AWARD
 03 Oct 2008
Jermaine Beckford has picked up his first seasonal award...

Jermaine Beckford has won his first award of the season.

Our 11-goal marksman has been named as the PFA 2UP League One Fans Player of The Month Award for September.

Jermaine, who was the League One Player of the Season in 2007/08, has enjoyed a fine month, scoring four of his 11 goals, including a terrific goal to seal the points at Carlisle United on September 20.

PFA chief executive Mick McGuire said: "The League One Player of the Season last season, he has continued where he left off, already scoring 11 goals in league and cup games this season.

"His all round play suggests he is destined for great things."
« Siste redigering: Oktober 03, 2008, 13:51:38 av MartinR »

MartinR

• På juniorlaget
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #14 på: Oktober 03, 2008, 14:03:48 »
BEST ISN'T ENOUGH!
 02 Oct 2008
Macca misses out Manager of the Month award...

Gary McAllister has missed out on the Coca-Cola League One Manager of the Month award for September.

Macca has the best record of any manager in League One, having won six successive matches in all competitions - but the award went to Millwall boss Kenny Jackett.

Speaking before the announcement, the United boss said: "We've had a good run and it's nice that gets recognised, but it's not about awards, it's about where you finish in May."

United scored 16 goals during the month of September and won four league matches, including a 2-0 success at Carlisle, a JPT tie against Bradford, and a Carling Cup third round clash with Hartlepool United.

It's the first time the club have won six successive matches in all competitions since David O'Leary was at the helm in 1999.

Gary's rivals for the September award are Scunthorpe manager Nigel Adkins, who has presided over five straight wins, Jackett, who has recorded four league wins and a JPT defeat, and Oldham's John Sheridan.

Oldham have won only two of their four leagues during the month of September, drawing the other two, and suffered defeat to Morecambe on penalties in the JPT.