Skrevet av Emne: Artikkel om "Ken Bates’s Leeds dream" i the Times  (Lest 793 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

sveifors

Artikkel om "Ken Bates’s Leeds dream" i the Times
« på: Januar 04, 2010, 12:48:25 »
Interessant artikkel følger:

Ken Bates’s Leeds dream of supplanting can come true one day

Tony Cascarino Commentary

Recommend? (3)

Even when they were relegated from the Coca-Cola Championship in 2007 and deducted 15 points I felt that Leeds United had already gone through the worst. Although the team were at a low point, the process of stabilising the club and turning things around off the field was well under way.

Ken Bates, the chairman, said yesterday that he dreams of Leeds being a bigger club than Chelsea and though that will take time it’s not completely unrealistic. After all, Leeds could be back in the Barclays Premier League in 18 months. I’m sure they’ll win promotion from League One this season by some distance, which will give them a head start in the Championship as they can plan early.

Once in the Premier League, of course the first season will be very tricky, as it is for almost every newly promoted side — but Stoke City and Hull City managed to survive their debuts and Leeds have far greater natural advantages than them. The reason their fall from grace attracted so much attention, after all, is because they are one of the biggest clubs in the country. That’s why Simon Grayson left Blackpool and dropped down a division to go to Elland Road — he knows the Leeds job is a golden opportunity.

A club of their size and reputation will have no trouble attracting good players and offering decent wages. With momentum behind them, Leeds’s climb could be as dramatic and swift as their downward spiral was. A result such as yesterday’s was more than just a great day out for supporters and the fun of putting one over an old rival — it helps to reignite the enthusiasm of the fanbase and encourage a positive atmosphere in the club as a whole, which will count for something long after Leeds have gone out of the FA Cup.

The win over Manchester United may hasten the departure of Jermaine Beckford to a club higher up the ladder. He has pace, power and an eye for a goal but perhaps he’ll stay: the potential at Leeds is obvious and he’s not yet consistent enough to be a Premier League player week-in, week-out.

The one good result of Leeds being so badly burnt in the past is that they’ll be completely intent not to repeat their mistakes. Progress will be slow and steady and they’ll keep a very close eye on their finances in the future.

Bates doesn’t get enough credit for the good work he did at Chelsea — he transformed the club. He’s got the money to help Leeds to grow if he thinks they need a cash injection, though it wouldn’t surprise me if they are bought by a billionaire benefactor when they’re a Championship club again.

Such a well-supported club, with a big stadium, from one of the largest cities in England — smart investors will have an eye on them. And if they do get bought by someone richer than Roman Abramovich, why shouldn’t they outdo Chelsea one day?
Sveifors

Always look on the LEEDS side of life

bwirum

Sv: Artikkel om "Ken Bates’s Leeds dream" i the Times
« Svar #1 på: Januar 04, 2010, 13:39:43 »
Bra artikkel faktisk. Går vel nesten lenger enn de fleste Leeds-fans tør å drømme etter de siste åra, men han gir jo noen meget gode poeng her.

Vet ikke om jeg tør å satse mye penger på at vi går direkte opp til PL etter en sesong i CCC, men det er jo alltid lov å håpe! ;D

Det jeg håper på umiddelbart er at Bates bare gjør klubben så attraktiv for evt. kjøpere at det kommer en super-milliardær ila. CCC-sesongen og at han da ikke gjør den feilen å sparke Grayson for en såkalt "supermanager" med fett navn for å få inn sine egne. Heller gi Grayson muligheten til å gjøre noen nøkkel-signeringer for å forberede klubben for PL, samtidig som han gjør en jobb av å gjøre akademi og treningsfasiliteter enda bedre.
Best post ever:
min attr søt kaff på min atamaskin- virkr ikk bra- rfr han jg ikk skrvt så my i t sist

Grattis m  1-2 ikv
MT :) :) :)