Skrevet av Emne: Ex-spiller: Gary Sprake  (Lest 3272 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
Ex-spiller: Gary Sprake
« på: Oktober 19, 2016, 19:10:14 »
RIP Gary Sprake who has passed away age 71. A hero between the posts. Extremely sad news

Enda en av Revies gutter er død. God keeper som dessverre huskes for tabbene. Og kontroversene med lagkamerater etter at han lot seg kjøpe av tabloidene i forbindelse med korrupsjonsanklager mot Don.

Men en meget god keeper, og viktig for Leeds i 'storhetsperioden' - det var han.

Chant'en in his days gikk visst:
Aye aye aye aye Gary is better than Yashin ,Albert is better than Eusebio and (. Insert team) are in for a thrashing.

Kanskje betegnende at Birmingham, som han bare spilte 16 kamper for før skader tvng ham til å måtte legge opp, er raskere ute enn Leeds med følgende:
Birmingham City Former Players Association
1 hr ·
It is with great sadness that I inform you of the sudden passing of our former goalkeeper Gary Sprake at the age of 71. Gary was signed for a then record 100'000 pounds from Leeds United in 1973 but only played 16 games before injury forced him into early retirement at age of 30. Player over 500 games for Leeds and won 37 caps for Wales. Condolences to his family. RIP
« Siste redigering: Januar 30, 2017, 08:33:59 av Promotion 2010 »
Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

RoarG

Sv: RIP Sprake
« Svar #1 på: Oktober 19, 2016, 19:36:26 »
R.I.P. Gary Sprake. Du sto før min tid. Jeg vokste opp med David Harvey, men respekt for det du bidro med i Leeds.
"Jeg tror ikke på Gud, men etter Bielsas ansettelse må jeg nok revurdere", Roar Gustavsen, januar 2020

Cherry

« Svar #2 på: Oktober 19, 2016, 19:51:48 »
R.I.P. Gary Sprake. Du sto før min tid. Jeg vokste opp med David Harvey, men respekt for det du bidro med i Leeds.

Samme her " oppflasket" med begge Davidene' - Harvey/ Stewart.

RIP til Sprake som visstnok døde brått.

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #3 på: Oktober 19, 2016, 22:38:29 »
Sad news...we were with him a few weeks back for a signing session

Gary Sprake 2016
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

h.b

• Gjest
« Svar #4 på: Oktober 19, 2016, 22:53:43 »
Nok en tragisk dag for oss som vokste opp med denne eminente keeper
https://www.leedsunited.com/news/club-news/21270/gary-sprake

Jon R

« Svar #5 på: Oktober 20, 2016, 19:18:14 »
Det var trist å høre. Var medlem av "Super Leeds" gruppen. Ikke det viktigste og ikke uten feil, men likefullt en av de ytterst få keepere som fikk æren av å spille i den stolte hvite drakta under Revie æraen.
Jon R.

kolstad

« Svar #6 på: Oktober 20, 2016, 21:21:47 »
Sprake var 1 keeper fra 63 til 72. Men han kom vel på kant med sine gamle klubb kamerater etter han forlot klubben. Han ble vel rett og slett boikottet etter noen uheldige avisoppslag. Som gjaldt forsøk på kampfiksing som han dro Don Revie inn i.

SOL

« Svar #7 på: Oktober 21, 2016, 09:20:46 »
RIP

Promotion 2010

« Svar #8 på: Oktober 27, 2016, 16:31:39 »
Hay
Gary Sprake's funeral will take place at Robin Hood Cemetery on Streetsbrook Road, Solihull at 2.30pm on Tuesday, November 8.

The Sprake family have requested family flowers only but would very much appreciate any donations to the British Heart Foundation.
Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #9 på: November 09, 2016, 23:38:51 »
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

RoarG

Sv: RIP: Gary Sprake
« Svar #10 på: Januar 30, 2017, 08:21:57 »
Hva med å endre tittelen til "LEGENDE: Gary Sprake"?
"Jeg tror ikke på Gud, men etter Bielsas ansettelse må jeg nok revurdere", Roar Gustavsen, januar 2020

Promotion 2010

« Svar #11 på: Januar 30, 2017, 08:33:35 »

Neppe legende!

Han gikk til avisen for å fortelle at Revie og Bremner sto for kampfiksing. Noe resten av gamlegutta tok stor avstand fra!

Men ex-spiller kan vi endre det til!  :)
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

Sv: Ex-spiller: Gary Sprake
« Svar #12 på: Januar 30, 2017, 08:38:24 »
The black sheep: Why Gary Sprake was shunned by Leeds United for 30 years Gary

Sprake in 1970.
The former Leeds United goalkeeper has died aged 71. PHIL HAY 19:11Wednesday 19 October 201610:34 Thursday 20 October 2016 21 HAVE YOUR SAY

Gary Sprake, the former Leeds United goalkeeper who has died at the age of 71 and is described by Eddie Gray as “as good as almost any I’ve seen”, was destined to become the black sheep of Don Revie’s stellar squad. That group were as close as family and still are today but Sprake spent the past 30 years ostracised from his old team-mates. “I’ve learnt to accept I’m not welcome at Leeds,” he told The Independent in 2006, “even though I still have feelings for the club.” Leeds United 1965, back: L-R: Norman Hunter, Jack Charlton, Gary Sprake, Paul Reaney, Willie Bell. Front: L-R: Johnny Giles. Jim Storrie, Alan Peacock, Don Revie, Bobby Collins, Albert Johanneson, Billy Bremner. (Picture copyright Yorkshire Post Newspapers Ltd)

Other members of Revie’s squad took issue with Sprake contributing to an investigation by the Daily Mirror in 1978 which accused Revie of match-fixing and attempting to bribe opposition clubs. Relationships were ruined and some never recovered. Sprake and Gray were reconciled 10 years ago when Sprake was interviewed on BBC Radio Leeds but he remained conspicuous by his absence at the many reunions organised by Revie’s sociable boys. Speaking today, Gray preferred to remember the hard and agile goalkeeper who played 508 times for Leeds, including one Charity Shield appearance, and played with distinction.

Errors went some way to defining Sprake’s career at Elland Road - one in particular in 1967 - but the Welshman was a mainstay for most of Revie’s golden tenure; “instrumental in Leeds winning their earliest trophies,” as Gray puts it. “For me, he was as good as almost any goalkeeper I’ve seen,” Gray said. “I genuinely mean that. He was unbelievably talented, really he was. People go on about a few of the mistakes he made but I thought he was terrific.” Sprake, who was born near Swansea in 1945, joined Leeds as an apprentice in 1960 and signed professional forms at Elland Road two years later. His debut came almost immediately amid an injury crisis in 1962, flown from Leeds at short notice for a 4-1 defeat at Southampton, and his pedigree earned him an international debut 12 months later. At the age of 18 he became Wales’ youngster ever keeper but Sprake grew up quickly. The sight of him flattening Bobby Gould with a swift left hook during a game against Arsenal summed up the era and Sprake’s combustive personality.

George Graham playing for Arsenal against Leeds is marked by Norman Hunter as he approaches Gary Sprake in the 1968 League Cup Final at Wembley In the decade that followed, Sprake was Revie’s number one, the last line of defence in a team who won the second division championship in 1964 and, from then on, were never far away from the Division One title. He kept a clean sheet in 1968 as Leeds won the League Cup with a win over Arsenal at Wembley and stood up brilliantly to Ferencvaros in the final of the Fairs Cup later that year, helping to settle that tie with astonishing reflexes. Those moments often seem lost in time and 1967 witnessed a bizarre event which Sprake would never forget or shake off.

Against Liverpool, on a snowy Anfield pitch, he blundered by changing his mind about a quick-throw out and spilling the ball backwards over his shoulder. With the Kop looking on, it trundled into United’s net. Anfield’s stadium announcer played Des O’Connor’s ‘Careless Hands’ at half-time and the Kop sang the lyrics merrily during the second half. Before long, Careless Hands became Sprake’s unwanted nickname. His biography, published in 2006, carried that title. The jibes overshadowed his very real ability and while some spoke of Sprake as the weak link in Revie’s side, he kept more than 200 clean sheets for the club and set records in the process. Only in the early 1970s did Revie lose faith and turn to David Harvey, spelling the end of Sprake’s career with United. Aggrieved by his demotion, Sprake left for Birmingham City in a £100,000 move in 1973, the highest fee ever paid for a keeper at the time. “There’s been a lot of rewriting history,” Sprake once said. “How can I be a terrible goalie if I played over 500 games for Leeds, nearly all in the top division? Don Revie was neither a fool nor a bad judge of players.”

Gary Sprake, former Leeds United and Wales goalkeeper, has died aged 71. Sprake always stood by his decision to speak out about Revie. He said he “spoke the truth” to the Mirror, who paid him £7000. “Gary fell out with one or two people,” Gray said. “He said a few things, said things that weren’t very complimentary about certain people, but I would have invited him back into the fold. The boys from those days have always seen a lot of each other. Big Dave Harvey still comes down from the highlands to see us. But I’d always say that Gary was a great goalkeeper. This is very sad news.” Leeds will hold a minute’s applause in his honour when they turn out in the League Cup next week, the first major honour they and Sprake won.

The birth of United as a force in English football started in the early 1960s and when Revie began putting his stamp on the club, Sprake was there. He was there too as Leeds climbed to the top of the game and there at the very height of Revie’s reign; more integral to success than most who passed through Elland Road before him and many who have passed through since. Most of his old colleagues would agree on that.

Read more at: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/the-black-sheep-why-gary-sprake-was-shunned-by-leeds-united-for-30-years-1-8190242
Min første Leeds-kamp:

RoarG

« Svar #13 på: Januar 30, 2017, 09:16:23 »

Neppe legende!

Han gikk til avisen for å fortelle at Revie og Bremner sto for kampfiksing. Noe resten av gamlegutta tok stor avstand fra!

Jepp, varslere har alltid fått tyn. Da som nå.

Kontakinte

« Svar #14 på: Januar 30, 2017, 09:32:02 »

Neppe legende!

Jepp, varslere har alltid fått tyn. Da som nå.
+1