Skrevet av Emne: Leeds; Byen  (Lest 11556 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Sydhagen

"Paynter, a striker whose danger factor is akin to a blind sniper, who has no fingers, or a gun."

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
Sv: Leeds; Byen
« Svar #1 på: Juni 09, 2013, 17:31:36 »
What's in :)

http://leeds-list.com/why-leeds/

Leeds continues to push itself as a must-visit destination on these shores, but is it a must-live?

Well, Leeds-List sees no reason why not and we have discovered why people are increasingly tempted to make Leeds their home instead of those neighbouring cities we love to be better than…

Leeds List

WorkIt’s one of the most important questions in people’s lives— am I able to get a job? And in the current climate its significance takes on new levels. Though we are not spouting ignorance towards those who continue to look for and struggle to find work, Leeds’ industry seems to be escalating across many sectors.

The prime example of this is the burgeoning retail industry across the city. Trinity Leeds is the only shopping centre in the United Kingdom to open of its ilk in 2013 and is believed to have created around 3,000 jobs in the city. The effect of this on the city is considerable, as it’s an attractive proposition for those looking to move to the industry, and as it continues to open new landmark stores and be joined by the new Victoria Gate development next year, this can only increase.

But it’s not all about the handbags and gladrags y’know. Leeds has one of the pre-eminent finance, legal, insurance and public sector industries outside of London. It’s the northern capital for such business and the fact that the Bank of England takes residence here, as the only subsidiary office outside of London in the UK, Leeds is given more substance as a city of real attraction. Find yourself waltzing down Park Row – we’ve all done that after a jar or two in The Slug and Lettuce or Piccolino’s – and look at who takes residence in the buildings around you; HSBC, Lloyds TSB, NatWest, Santander, Deloitte and Pinsent Masons to name but a few established names.

As Leeds continues to expand, the range of careers it accommodates does so too. But it’s not all work and no play and Leeds has a lot of pride in being a hive of activity…

Leeds List

Nightlife
Well, one thing is for certain, Leeds is not short of a bar or restaurant to satisfy anybody’s needs. Take your pick: Merrion Street quenches the first for a decent beer and cocktail along with a soundtrack of rock and rolling proportions, Millennium Square has an equal measure of cheap and cheerful, cool and collected and luxurious and elegant and Call Lane mixes of all of the above whilst priding itself on its youthful, vibrant clientele.

After the bars, the clubs may come calling and from Mint to Wire, Space to HiFi, you can guarantee a tough week in the office or in the books will seem like a distant memory.

But it’s not just the city centre that has people knocking people down the doors to get here; the suburbs hold their own too with Chapel Allerton and Horsforth showing you don’t need to be feeling inner-city pressures to enjoy yourself and the nightlife, whilst the hubs of Hyde Park and Headingley continue to entice the students who – like myself – struggle to leave.

When people say Leeds caters for all – well, in terms of going out and having a good time at the very least – it’d be hard to disagree.

Leeds List

Culture
Who doesn’t like a bit of culture every now and again? I dare you to lie to me and say you don’t. But, that is enough of idle threats; for those with a tangible interest in the arts, Leeds has more than plenty going on to lure you in.

And what’s more, you can get into most galleries for absolutely zip. Places such as Leeds Art Gallery, the Henry Moore Institute and Royal Armouries all invite people in for nothing, cementing Leeds as an area of cultural importance and social conscience. There are, to many, few better reputations to have.

Though slightly more expensive, but no less prolific and equally as engaging is the burgeoning theatre scene. From Leeds Grand Theatre and West Yorkshire Playhouse to City Varieties and The Carriageworks, there’s plenty to keep the thespians happy 24/7.

We have come this far without even giving a nod to cinema in the city. If you’re a film buff, how could you be disappointed? There’s the Vue Cinema in The Light providing the mainstream touch but Leeds is the first city north of the Watford Gap that is now home to an Everyman Cinema – it’s only right that people want to make it their home too. But, steady on, we have missed out the jewel in the crown. Hyde Park Picture House, whilst not being a multiplex, has a varied selection of arthouse and conventional releases within its depths, as well as its character as one of the few remaining picture palaces this country has left.

And whilst these places offer a multitude of things to keep residents happy, they’re also a massive industry that promotes investment and careers in the region. By maintaining a strong relationship with the community and prolific in the quality of the work on show, Leeds has become the North’s cultural centre.

Leeds List

Music
Well, where do you start? I know. Why not take a look at our beginner’s guide to Leeds’ music scene where we uncover the best places for you to watch all of your favourite artists, be they new, old or somewhere in the middle.

But why has Leeds gained such a reputation as a place for people with a deep rooted appreciation of music – be it hip-hop, metal, rock, pop and everything in between? People want to live here because of the sheer spectrum of gigs and artists you can be witness to.

It’s a diverse city and it is replicated in the array of events it puts on. The Wardrobe is the place to be for funk, soul and jazz – try Seven Arts in Chapel Allerton too for some suburban enjoyment. O2 Academy Leeds has the best in mainstream pop and rock, The Cockpit likes to split its time between the very indie and the very heavy whilst the Brudenell takes its joy from putting on a slew of everything, and throwing in their character and expertise.

But, Leeds is also home to a number of bands, past and present that have made their mark on the UK’s musical landscape from Gang of Four, The Sisters of Mercy and The Wedding Present to Kaiser Chiefs, The Music, Pulled Apart by Horses and The Pigeon Detectives.

The Leeds music scene continues to grow and develop but with a strong ethos that prevents it from becoming too big for its boots. A friend once said of Leeds that it’s retains the buzz of London but doing it on a more familiar, friendly scale whilst maintaining a distinct professionalism. Not bad – but then again, we’re not surprised.

Leeds List

Size & Style
Leeds has a lot of things to see and do, that’s a given. But it’s also how the city looks and feels that gives it an advantage over neighbouring places. To be a city that has so much within it and yet manages to stay – when compared to the marathon that is trying to get from Manchester’s Northern Quarter to Oxford Road or Deansgate at the very least – so compact, Leeds provides an all-inclusive atmosphere with some classy touches.

Those touches? Well, just look up. We’re proud advocators of the beauty in the city and Leeds has plenty of history and character displayed throughout its quite wonderful architecture. From Cuthbert Brodrick’s landscape changing structures to the 21st century metamorphosis that the city is currently experiencing, Leeds provides an enticing blend of new and old that appeals to those with a penchant for relics and those who prefer the sleekness of modern architecture.

It’s not just the amenities that make people want to live here – it’s the fact it has some of the most exciting living developments in the country. Since the turn of the millennium, nearly £1bn has been spent on new and renovated places to live in buildings such as Granary Wharf and Clarence Dock, and this continues to put Leeds at the forefront of people’s minds when looking for a city to call their own.
Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Promotion 2010

Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #3 på: Juli 27, 2014, 17:37:03 »
Tre nye restauranter åpner i Leeds: :)

Sitat
It seems like there’s something new opening every week right now, and that trend shows no signs of stopping, as three new Leeds restaurants are in the pipeline.

http://leeds-list.com/food-and-drink/2-restaurants-coming-soon-to-leeds/
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #4 på: August 02, 2014, 00:47:11 »
Duck & Drake ‏@DucknDrakeLeeds  · 1h 
25 different beers today at The Duck !!! TWENTY FIVE - more power to our beer pulling elbows lol. Every day's a beer festival in LS2

Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Woody

« Svar #5 på: August 07, 2014, 14:39:13 »
25 different beers today at The Duck !!! TWENTY FIVE - more power to our beer pulling elbows lol. Every day's a beer festival in LS2

Rekk vel over alle,men kansje lurt å dela opp i formiddag og ettermiddags økt  ;D
LIFE IS LEEDS

Cherry

« Svar #6 på: November 11, 2014, 17:59:10 »

Duck & Drake... Langt fra Brigade/ Marriott?

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #7 på: November 11, 2014, 18:43:00 »
Duck & Drake ‏@DucknDrakeLeeds  Â· 1h  

Neinei, kort :)  Fra Briggate tar du ned Kirkgate, evt at du fortsetter ned The Calls fra Boar Lane (Marriott-gaten)
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Cherry

« Svar #8 på: November 12, 2014, 18:49:34 »
Duck & Drake ‏@DucknDrakeLeeds  Â· 1h  

Takk, takk... Den er på lista for januar da! ;D

Neinei, kort :)  Fra Briggate tar du ned Kirkgate, evt at du fortsetter ned The Calls fra Boar Lane (Marriott-gaten)

kendo

Gufrias

« Svar #10 på: Januar 14, 2015, 21:53:02 »
http://www.vrleeds.co.uk/

Leeds, West Yorkshire, Virtual Tour guide to the city with street views, maps and local weather.
Hekta på Leeds siden 1974

kendo

« Svar #11 på: Januar 15, 2015, 10:13:02 »

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #12 på: Juni 14, 2015, 11:40:38 »
Bite YerLegs om hva man bør besøke når man først er i Yorkshire.
For meg var det interessant 'å bli kjent med' Norman også 'utenfor fotballen' - en mann som liker sine Yorkshire Dales walks...
My Yorkshire: Norman Hunter

Norman Hunter is a Leeds United legend of the Don Revie era. The 71-year-old played more than 700 games for Leeds, winning two First Division titles, two European trophies, the FA Cup and the League Cup. With 28 England caps, he was in the World Cup-winning squad of 1966.

• What is your first Yorkshire memory?

It was quite daunting. I was 15 and a half and came to Leeds for a trial in the late 1950s. The train was late by two or three hours. I was supposed to get in at six or seven o’clock, but I remember coming into Leeds at 9.30 or 9.45pm. I hadn’t been away from home before and I thought it was frightening. My first impressions coming into Leeds station in those days weren’t the best. I was met and taken to Beeston and remember the cobbled streets and terrace houses. As it turned out, the digs were the best I could have gone into. Billy Bremner, a year older than me, was in the same house. I knew Billy longer than anyone.

• What is your favourite part of Yorkshire and why?

It has to be the Dales. From where we live in Horsforth, we can be there in 45 minutes. I always took the kids to Bolton Abbey and Burnsall and even now the grandkids still love to go there. The views are fabulous.

• What is your idea of a perfect day on perfect weekend in Yorkshire?

It would have to be in the Bolton Abbey and Burnsall area. We like walking by the river, but we also like going to the coast and Robin Hood’s Bay, although the walk up the hill is getting a bit steep now.

• Do you have a favourite walk or view?
Not particularly. I’ve been on so many walks, but if you were to ask me, the walk I’d pick would be from Bolton Abbey to Burnsall. You go to other places in the world and marvel at the views, but here in Yorkshire we take it for granted.

• Which Yorkshire sportsman, past or present, would you like to take out for lunch?

It would be a lady. I thought what Jessica Ennis Hill did to win the Olympic Gold Medal in the heptathlon at the 2012 London Olympics was brilliant. She did not appear to be as big and powerful as the other athletes she was up against, but with her ability and determination she succeeded in becoming Olympic champion. Jessica is very, very special.

• Which Yorkshire stage or screen star, past or present, would you like to take out for dinner?
That’s a difficult one. I think I’ll go for Patrick Stewart of Star Trek fame. He’s from Huddersfield and an accomplished Shakespearean actor.

• If you had to name your Yorkshire hidden gem, what would it be?

I was talking about this to my wife Sue because we like going to Saltaire which we find quite fascinating. What Sir Titus Salt did for his workers, the cottages and the other buildings he built is most interesting. The village is so well kept and we like the museum, the river and the gardens there. What Sir Titus did for his employees was unheard of then. I would certainly send visitors to Yorkshire to Saltaire.

• What do you think it is that gives Yorkshire its unique identity?

I think it’s the people. Yorkshire folk have this image of cloth caps, but they are not like that at all. I’ve always had a very good relationship with Yorkshire people. They take a while to get to know, but once you are in with them, they are great. I like their humour and Yorkshire people are very proud of their county. To this day, wherever I go, they make me feel welcome and are extremely good to me and my family.
• Do you follow other sports in the county, and if so, what?

I love golf. I play at Horsforth Golf Club. I was single figures but now my handicap is 10. I’d love to meet Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy, who’s taking golf to another level.

I also love watching tennis, players like Roger Federer and Andy Murray. Rugby League is a favourite and I remember seeing Lewis Jones playing for Leeds. The sport is awesome. The players keep getting hit, they then get up and are hit again. I admire the players’ strength and fitness.

• Do you have a favourite Yorkshire restaurant or pub?

My favourite is Café Marinetti, an Italian in Town Street, Horsforth. The food is good and the staff friendly. We go there every other week. We also like another Italian restaurant, Buon Apps, the other side of Otley. It has such a good name and is very busy.

• Who is the Yorkshire person you admire the most?

Sir Michael Parkinson. I liked his shows and as an interviewer, there was none better. I look at the chat shows now and the interviewers hog the limelight. Parky just let the guests talk. People were so natural on his shows. I managed Barnsley for three and a half years, and we used to see him at Oakwell. I liked him as a person.

• How do you think Yorkshire has changed, for the better or worse, in the time you’ve known it?

For the better. Leeds is a 24-hour city now. We like to walk in Leeds and there’s nothing better than when the lights are on. As for restaurants, there’s every type you want.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/features/my-yorkshire-norman-hunter-1-7300331
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #13 på: Januar 14, 2016, 17:03:03 »
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #14 på: Januar 14, 2016, 17:05:20 »
https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/139-norse-words

The Viking influence may be most apparent in the Yorkshire dialect, which uses even more Norse words in daily speech than standard English does.
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #15 på: Juni 29, 2017, 08:23:04 »
Why is Leeds called Leeds?
Loidis ->  Ledes  ->  Leedes  -> Leeds

Ellers er det vel å nevne at stedsnavn som slutter på -by og -thorpe kommer fra vikingene (se betydning av lokale navn nederst)

Grace Newton Email 19:21 Tuesday 27 June 2017

We say our city's name on a daily basis - yet how often do we stop to think about its origins? Those of the name Leeds are shrouded in mystery, and are far less established than those of other British cities. The original form of the name was Loidis, and it referred to a forested area of the Celtic kingdom of Elmet. Around the year 731, Bede mentioned the settlement in his writings, and it also appears in the Domesday Book after the Norman invasion. By this time, the Old English spelling of Ledes was being used, but it is thought to be an Anglo-Saxon version of the Celtic name. Until the 1700s it appears as Leedes on maps. It has been speculated that the word could have been Ladenses, a Celtic term for people living near a 'strongly flowing river', but it most likely refers in some way to the forest covering Elmet, which was a kingdom until the seventh century.

And here are some of the derivatives for suburbs and villages of Leeds:
Horsforth - a horse ford
Hunslet - hound's let, an area for hunting with dogs
Roundhay - round hey, a royal hunting park
Scholes - a hut or shelter
Eccup - the valley where Ecca lived
Bramhope/Bramley - places where broom was grown
Colton - a farm belonging to Cola
Menston - a farm belonging to Mensa
Manston - a farm belonging to Mann
Alwoodley - a farm belonging to Aethelwald
Otley - a farm belonging to Otta
Armley - a farm belonging to Erme
Wike - named after a wic, meaning a farm
Barwick - a corn farm
Austhorpe - an outlying farm to the east
Osmondthorpe - Oswin's outlying farm
Thorp Arch - the de Arches family's outlying farm
Scarcroft - a small enclosed field
Seacroft - an enclosed field beside a pool
Wetherby - a castrated ram
Wortley - a vegetable farming area
Farnley - a place where ferns grew
Allerton - a place where alder trees grew
Garforth - the home of GaeraTemple
Newsam - new houses
Burmantofts - burgage man's tofts, or allotments

Read more at: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/why-is-leeds-called-leeds-1-8618896
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan