LUSCOS Forum > Ordet er fritt

Club 200 - 65 Leedsspillere med mer enn 200 ligakamper for Leeds

<< < (2/2)

Asbjørn:

--- Sitat fra: Asbjørn på September 14, 2019, 13:25:44 ---
...nestemann inn på listen blir vel Kalvin Phillips som vel når ca 190 i løpet av sesongen og vil klatre en del - forutsatt at vi rykker opp, selvsagt.

--- Slutt sitat ---

Siden Kalvin har 152 ligakamper og 14 kamper i andre turneringer kan han jo faktisk nå 200 allerede inneværende sesong - men da kan han ikke stå over mye :o

Asbjørn:
Presentasjon Nr 13 Ernie Hart

Midtstopper i klubben i 16 år, 1920-1936.
8 landskamper for England.
Også han av de tidlig døde (52 år).

Position                 Centre back
Born                     03 Jan 1902, Overseal (England)
Height                   180 cm
Weight                    82 kg
International Caps   England: 8 full

01 Sep 1920  -   01 Aug 1936
447 appearances   
14  goals

"Ernie Hart was signed for Leeds in 1920, and over the next 16 years became known as one of the best centre halves in the country. As well as picking up 8 England caps, Hart represented the Football League twice and was only sent off once in his career. After Leeds, he briefly played for Mansfield, managed Tonbridge Wells in the amateur/semi-pro ranks and scouted for both Coventry and Leeds before his untimely death in 1954 at the age of 52."

Asbjørn:
Presentasjon nr 14  Willis Edwards

'Wing half' i klubben vår 1925-1943 (eller 14 år som mer reellt tall, men spilte under krigen også).
Dessuten i en eksklusiv gruppe som har vært både spiller og manager for klubben.
Litt sånn Eddie Gray, var trener i klubben og fikk manageransvar da manageren fikk sparken.
Men pga at det gikk dårlig sportslig ble han etter ca 1 år igjen trener - og senere talentspeider i klubben.
Typisk klubblegende altså, dog ikke i største sportslige forstand.
Men han var ansett som Englands beste right wing half i sin tid (16 landskamper)
Wing half - i midten i dentids 2-3-5 system.

Position                    Right half
Born                        28 Apr 1903, Newton (England)
Height                     172 cm
Weight                    74 kg
International Caps : 16 full

15 Mar 1925  -  01 Jun 1943
444  appearances
6 goals

Rejected by a Sheffield United scout as "too small", Willis Edwards went on to have a long and successful career for Chesterfield, Leeds and England. After 8 successful years at Bramall Lane, Edwards joined Leeds towards the end of the 1924-25 season and soon found his great all-round game was recognised at the highest level, with his first England cap coming against Scotland in 1926.

He was recognised as the best wing-half in the country, and his longevity was equally impressive - playing for 14 years for Leeds in the league and also turning out during the war years. He remained at Leeds after the war, acting as assistant coach and then taking over as manager when Billy Hampson stepped down. He didn't have much success and after a year returned to his coaching position and continued as a scout for the club until the middle of the 1950s. He died in 1988.

Ian Gledhill says: When I left school in the summer of 1968, I worked for a short time at Moorhouses jam factory on Old Lane in Beeston. Willis Edwards was also employed there. He used to do odd jobs, including tidying up the gardens at the front of the factory. He must have been 65 but looked older. I knew who he was but I didn't have the - what is it, nerve? - to stop him and get him talking about his life. Eighteen seemed a lot younger in those days. Now I wish I had.

Carl Short says: I have just found out that Willis Edwards is my great great uncle. My grandfather, Willis Short, who has recently passed away, was named after his famous uncle.

Wikipedia:
Edwards was born in the mining village of Newton, North East Derbyshire, not far from Chesterfield and Alfreton. Like many boys in the area, he left school to go down the pit but he was soon spotted by Chesterfield as a teenager, playing for the village football team Newton Rangers.[1]

Edwards played for the Elland Road club for 18 years, during which time he was never booked or sent off. He went on to make 444 appearances. Edwards continued turning out for Leeds during the war years and remained at the club after the war. On retiring as a player, he became assistant and he took over the managerial reins when Billy Hampson was dismissed in May 1947. His time as manager was relatively unsuccessful and he resumed his place in the backroom staff in April 1948, where he acted as a scout for the club. He only ended his association with Leeds in 1960, after serving the club for 35 years.[1]

Edwards was capped by England on 16 occasions. His first cap was against Wales on 1 March 1926. He captained England in his last five internationals, with his final appearance on 20 November 1929.[2]

He died in Leeds on 27 September 1988.[3]

Navigering

[0] Oversikt

[*] Forrige side

Skift til full visning