Skrevet av Emne: Kamp: vs Manchester City @Elland Road, lørdag 03/10-20, kl.1830. Tv 2 sport prem  (Lest 17614 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Neo

Fantastisk å se hvordan Koch har tilpasset seg og tatt steg i spillet sitt.
Han var stor utpå der i går.
Rodrigo sin ballbehandling og tempo er direkte fascinerende. Han er en mann som blir å plage motstanderne enormt utover sesongen.
En utrolig bra prestasjon av laget i går.
Virkelig moro så se Leeds slik vi fremstår.

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
today's Telegraph full of praise for Leeds (quite rightly).   The final paragraph is spot on.

Leeds United 1 - 1 Manchester City

03/10/2020 17:30

Referee: Mike Dean|Venue: Elland Road

Rodrigo Moreno59

Raheem Sterling17

It is always hard to discern what pleasure, if any, Marcelo Bielsa takes from these epic Premier League struggles that have become Leeds United’s trademark although as the Argentine peers at his toes and sifts his regrets, he must surely be aware of the quality of the spectacle.

Another Leeds game in their first season back in the top-flight in 16 years which would have justified a further 30 minutes of action as Bielsa’s newly-promoted side tried to beat Guardiola’s side on their own terms. It was just the fourth time the pair have met across the technical area as managers. Two men who share a friendship and a common ideology about the game, and this the second draw – as well as two defeats - Bielsa has secured against a rival who has always had greater resources at his disposal. 

There have been newly promoted sides in the Premier League before who have overcome disadvantages to compete with the elite although none since perhaps the Newcastle United of 1993-1994 who did so in such style as Leeds. Just one detail in a splendid game, but the half-time introduction by Bielsa of the 20-year-old Ian Poveda-Ocampo, a one-time Manchester City prodigy and contemporary of Phil Foden felt like a significant moment.

It showed that he could pick up those who fall out of the great City football machine – although City would have preferred to keep Poveda-Ocampo – and turn them into something. Just as Bielsa has with so many of the promotion winning Championship side who confidently took possession from their goalkeeper Illan Meslier and passed their way out against one of the most savage presses in the European game.

Poveda-Ocampo was excellent as Leeds roared back in the second half, creating chances until another substitute Rodrigo Moreno, the club’s record signing, scored his first Premier League goal since he got one for Bolton Wanderers in 2011. The comeback was impressive given where City had Bielsa’s players in the first 20 minutes which was to say a bad place. City turned possession over in midfield and pulled them out of shape but gradually Leeds reasserted themselves and there were times in the second half when it looked like City were in trouble.

After defeat to Leicester City last weekend, Guardiola’s players have now dropped five points as they try to wrest the title back from a Liverpool team that rarely drop any. Guardiola refused to entertain questions about the title race in the aftermath, pointing out that his club have played one game fewer, although he knows that the margin for error is very slender. 

“As a manager I’m satisfied with what they have done so far,” Guardiola said, “although we are still a little bit away [from their best]. Unfortunately we dropped five points. This league is tough and the opponents don’t drop many but today was a completely different game to the one against Leicester.”

There was no discussion forthcoming from Guardiola about a possible penalty for Raheem Sterling in the closing stages when he went down under a challenge from Liam Cooper, the Leeds captain. The England international scored the game’s first goal in the first half when City were dominating the home side and there were errors to be seized upon. “There are two things you can’t do in this game, “Bielsa said. “You can’t give the ball away and you can’t let them take it off you”.

When they faced one another as managers in Spain, it was Barcelona who won the big games against Bielsa’s Athletic Bilbao and this occasion was, on the face of it, an even greater mismatch. This is a Leeds side largely built from the Championship winning team against the modern City, 12 years into their Abu Dhabi state-investment project, and, by and large, having cracked the code of elite success.

It was the errors that undid Bielsa’s players at the start, a general nervousness that made the touch heavy and introduced a degree of uncertainty upon which City preyed. They were without their left-back Jack Harrison, on loan from City and ineligible. Both teams would create chances before the break but only City would take theirs.

The goal was a classic turnover of possession and then Liam Cooper unable to clear properly before Ferran Torres picked out Sterling coming off the left side. Cooper was barely back on his feet when Sterling feinted once and went past him before stroking the ball in the far corner. That was the finish that Leeds had not been able to conjure.

There was no centre-forward in the City side and 17-year-old Liam Delap was on the bench. Riyad Mahrez played as a false nine. There was a debut for the new £65 million signing Ruben Dias alongside Aymeric Laporte who was playing his first game of the season. The slickness remains but at times it was hard to detect the ruthlessness in front of goal that has made City so formidable under Guardiola.

There were chances too for Leeds, when Ezgjan Alioski, the Macedonian winger, had run past a static Kyle Walker to meet Luke Ayling’s cross and could not control its direction. Then Ayling himself seized on Benjamin Mendy’s error, cut inside on his left foot. A strong hand from Ederson denied the full-back. Patrick Bamford and Kalvin Phillips opened up City across the area on 37 minutes to create a chance that Stuart Dallas could not finish.

After half-time, Poveda-Ocampo, a London boy who is part of the English generation born in 2000, of which Foden is another, attacked City’s right-side with an assured touch on the ball and total confidence. Guardiola’s team were starting to wobble. By the end he had withdrawn Mendy in favour of Nathan Ake at left-back which seemed like acknowledgement that the Frenchman was struggling.

Rodrigo had already lashed a shot against the bar from a run deep in the left channel, before he got the equaliser from the subsequent corner. Rodrigo, on after 55 minutes for Tyler Roberts, and clearly having decided that this was to be his day seized his chance for his first Premier League goal. There was a rare mistake from Ederson, dropping Phillips’ corner and the ricochet off Mendy fell nicely for Rodrigo.

There were chances for Bamford and Sterling before the end. A great game. The story of Guardiola seeking out Bielsa for advice before launching his own coaching career is well told now. But much more interesting is how you play their preferred style of football without the best players in the game – an experiment that Bielsa is pursuing for all our benefit.

Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
Flott forklart:

Carlon Carpenter
@C_Carpenter14
One of the biggest reasons why Leeds struggled against the press initially was City's shadowing of Phillips: City players forcing play inside, and jumping him when he got on the ball.

This changed in the second half as they rotated players down to bypass this initial pressure.

https://twitter.com/C_Carpenter14/status/1312532252190883840?s=20
« Siste redigering: Oktober 04, 2020, 10:25:03 av Asbjørn »
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Carl Fisker

Meget god kamp av Leeds - uten nøkkelspillerne Harrison og Pablo på banen. Nyankomne Koch og Rodrigo innfrir så det holder.

NT

Flott bilde av midtstopperduoen! :)

La oss henge den opp på arbeidsplassene våre under motto:   " Etter en god dag på jobben ! "

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
Bra respekt tilbake fra Sterling!

Sterling admitted post-match that the Whites put up a tough fight but appreciated their efforts in a close match.
"They were right in our faces,” Sterling reflected after the draw at Elland Road.

“I prefer playing against teams like that instead of teams who put 11 men behind the ball. It was a difficult game. The energy levels from start to finish were impressive.”

Men denne er jo litt ...morsom da :D :D :D

Asked about the opening stages of the season for City with the upcoming international break, he added: ”We've done fantastic with the short squad that we have had.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/they-got-our-faces-manchester-city-winger-raheem-sterling-reflects-leeds-united-clash-2992054
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
The Sunday Times.

Had Meslier down as Leeds best player with 8 out of 10.  I thought his distribution was shaky for much of the game. 

Marcelo Bielsa’s plan pays off for Leeds as Ederson flaps

Leeds United 1 Manchester City 1

Jonathan Northcroft, Football Correspondent

Sunday October 04 2020, 12.00am, The Sunday Times

The last ten minutes alone could have filled a match report. Raheem Sterling sprinted clear only to be foiled by Illan Meslier when he tried to chop back on to his left foot. Meslier made a terrific clutch to avert what would have been an own goal of the season, a diving header towards his own net, from Patrick Bamford.

Bamford raced down the left then veered inside to zero in on Ederson, only for Ederson to stand tall and block, one on one. Ederson rehabilitated thanks to a flurry of saves after making a howler for Leeds’s equaliser.

So many storylines, so much action, such white-knuckle stuff from first to final whistle. “It was good, huh?” Pep Guardiola said. That Leeds leveller was a goal forged by penalty-box chaos, quite in character with the harum-scarum attacking — and defending — that packed this superbly entertaining game. It came via Rodrigo who had previously scored just once in the Premier League — at Wigan Athletic for Bolton Wanderers, ten seasons ago.

Since then, the forward has starred for Valencia, played in the World Cup for Spain and become Leeds’s record signing, and here he put a couple of unconvincing prior appearances for his new club behind him to prove a game-changer, a substitute who introduced more aggression and goal threat to a Leeds team who had the greater possession — yes, greater possession — against Guardiola’s pass-addicted side.

Rodrigo won a corner when he flummoxed Rúben Dias with a stepover and forced Ederson to tip over. When Kalvin Philips delivered the set piece, Ederson made an awful hash of dealing with it, rabbit-punching the ball against Benjamin Mendy and when it dropped loose Rodrigo rammed it in.

The draw was what Leeds deserved. This was T20 football, a basketball-style contest of you-attack-we-attack in which neither Marcelo Bielsa nor Guardiola compromised a single positive principle. Guardiola, however, did have a right to feel aggrieved when during that fevered finale Liam Cooper went to ground and kicked Sterling’s toe, when challenging in the box. It really should have been a penalty.

Guardiola will face further scrutiny. He is already eight points off the top of the table and five points off Liverpool, and when City last won the Premier League they took 16 games to drop five points, whereas that has happened in just three matches this time. City won’t regain the title defending the way they are but to make this another City inquest would be to ignore the credit due to Leeds.

While traditionalists may yearn for the good old corned beef days of Neil Warnock v Sam Allardyce, the head to head of Guardiola and Bielsa represented how the talent in the dugout is now as exotic as the talent on the pitch in the Premier League. With their shared ideas and mutual appreciation, their common yen for possession and to be the protagonist, Bielsa and Guardiola were like two saints from the same religion being thrown in the ring.

Yorkshire rain soaked the pitch, making it slick and perfect for the football both want to play. At first, Bielsa’s refusal to change against Guardiola’s side seemed kamikaze but in the end success arrived playing his way.

Inside the first 20 minutes Leeds were lucky to concede only once. Kevin De Bruyne hit the post, deceiving Meslier with a gorgeous, whipped free kick, and Aymeric Laporte and Dias misdirected headers after finding space at corners. City’s high pressing terrorised the Leeds back four and midfield initially and Riyad Mahrez, Guardiola’s surprise false nine, caused Bielsa’s centre backs positioning dilemmas. Mahrez’s deployment freed Sterling, who converted his first league strike of the season expertly.

Meslier kicked straight to Mendy, who tried finding Mahrez. Cooper stepped in but knocked the ball straight to De Bruyne with a clumsy touch. De Bruyne shifted it left to Sterling who came back inside, jinking past two defenders, one being Cooper, again inattentive. Sterling curled a lovely shot through the gap he had worked, beating Meslier.

Sterling put Leeds ahead, beating Meslier from the edge of the 18-yard box

Sterling had set up Ferran Torres after tricking his way past Luke Ayling but Stuart Dallas blocked well. You feared for them yet Leeds kept trying to play out, kept stretching the pitch, kept up that trademark Bielsa trick of flooding the opposition box with a sudden rush of bodies. Keep asking questions of this fretful City defence and it will doubt itself. Sure enough errors came. The first was after Laporte coughed up possession thanks to Leeds pressing and from Ayling’s cross, with Kyle Walker slow, Ezgjan Alioski headed over.

In a breathless passage before half-time, Bamford fed Tyler Roberts, who slipped Dallas clear, with Walker badly positioned, but Dallas required a touch and Ederson smothered.

The super-coaches played their cards and Bielsa’s substitutions proved best. Shortly before scoring, Rodrigo looped a header that Ederson touched against the bar. After the equaliser came the adrenaline rush of the finale. A pity there were just three minutes of stoppage time: you wanted this game to go on and on.

Bielsa makes Guardiola fight hard to stay unbeaten It was hard work, but Pep Guardiola remains unbeaten in his duels with Leeds United’s Marcelo Bielsa. The pair have met four times after last night’s 1-1 draw, with Guardiola winning two when he was coach at Barcelona and Bielsa was at Athletic Bilbao. Their one other meeting in Spain finished in a draw.

• The last time these sides met in the league was at Elland Road in March 2004 when Leeds won 2-1. Mark Viduka scored the winner with a penalty after Daniel van Buyten had been sent off.

• Rodrigo Moreno is the first Spanish player to score for Leeds United in the Premier League. The £26 million signing from Valencia, who spent the 2010-11 season on loan at Bolton Wanderers from Real Madrid, scored three minutes and six seconds after coming on as a substitute.
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

NT

A HIGH-LEVEL GAME’

Sky Sports’ Jamie Redknapp:

“That was exceptional, players playing at a high level. Marcelo Bielsa made a couple of good substitutions. Poveda came on and caused Mendy so many problems that City had to take him off in the end. A high-level game, really enjoyable, played at such a good pace.”

Så intervjuet med Poveda på LUTV etter kampen. Ganske blid.... Ex.citygutt, kommer inn og spiller Mendy inn i ydmykelsen så han blir bytta ut ! Det er følelse det !  Tipper Mendy tok 2 paracet før han la seg igår !