Skrevet av Emne: EX-SPILLER: Anthony Yeboah  (Lest 32881 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

GeirO

Sv: EX-SPILLER: Anthony Yeboah
« Svar #90 på: November 19, 2017, 23:02:28 »
Det så dessverre litt for ekte ut til å være tull. Hvis det stemmer:

RIP Tony! Du huskes til evig tid for dine fantastiske scoringer for Leeds, særlig de to mot Wimbledon og Liverpool!
MOT

Blank_File

« Svar #91 på: November 20, 2017, 01:06:10 »

roaldv

« Svar #92 på: November 20, 2017, 21:14:58 »
I am not dead – Tony Yeboah
Former Ghana striker Tony Yeboah has come out to deny rumours making rounds on Social Media that he is dead, adding that those spreading such false news should desist from it.
https://www.ghanaweb.com//GhanaHomePage/SportsArchive/I-am-not-dead-Tony-Yeboah-602364

GeirO

« Svar #93 på: November 20, 2017, 21:58:08 »
Og takk for det!
MOT

DenHviteYeboah

« Svar #94 på: November 20, 2017, 22:10:54 »
Dette var godt å høre :)
Ikke kødd med sjefen!

Killa

« Svar #95 på: Juni 06, 2019, 10:24:39 »
Gratulerer med dagen Tony Yeboah!!
One of the greatest men to ever wear the famous white shirt....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mibmlTgEcU&feature=related
« Siste redigering: Juni 06, 2019, 10:26:24 av Killa »

Promotion 2010

« Svar #96 på: Juni 06, 2019, 22:19:59 »
Happy Birthday Tony Yeboah - the brutal front man who left a fire burning at Elland Road

Leeds snapped up the Ghanian striker, who turns 53 today, back in 1995

Tony Yeboah quickly became a fans' favourite
Leeds snapped up the Ghanian striker, who turns 53 today, back in 1995

Comic books portray footballers as heroes, and kids look up to them like they are the reason why football was invented. And then there is Tony Yeboah; a player without rival or comparison, an explosion, and a supreme specimen who almost defies description.

Yeboah had a physique of cartoon proportions; the formidable frame and the chiselled features of a Greek statue and a player who established a legacy that means he belongs on a marble plinth, surveying those mortals below him who have marvelled at his feats.

Did Yeboah do enough to earn ‘legend’ status at Leeds United? It is a compelling argument that balances 32 goals in 61 appearances and just two years - almost half of which he spent either injured or in the doghouse - with a dazzling showreel of spectacular goals that mixed the inventive and theatrical with the audacious and unfathomable.

Yeboah was a scorer of spectacular goals
It was the most dizzying and raucous of affairs, and while, as ever, it left gluttonous Leeds fans wanting more, they couldn’t say they hadn’t been satisfied in the meantime.

Such was the whirlwind surrounding Yeboah’s seismic impact at Elland Road, the ink was only just dry on a thousand ill-considered tattoos when a fallout with George Graham called time early on a Leeds United career that today feels like the most delicious cameo ever performed on a football stage.

And in cold, tangible terms, a cameo is all it was. As the dust settled on a joyride of wonderful goals and a brief flirtation with European football, we were left with a club still in transition and a 3-0 defeat at Wembley, but a barrel load of memories to bore the grandkids with for a generation. He was gone as quickly as he came, and Leeds fans were entitled to ask “what the hell was all that about?” Yeboah rode off in the sunset to Hamburg before anyone had even worked out exactly how old he was, and yet, could life ever be the same again?

Yeboah arrived at Leeds in 1995
Yeboah wrote the definition of how one player could galvanise a football club, he singlehandedly wrestled Howard Wilkinson’s Leeds team from a mid-season slumber in 1994/95 and scored 13 goals in 16 games to shoot them into Europe. Most of those goals were routine, and showed Yeboah as a strong-running, sharp striker with a clinical finish.

It was not until the Autumn of 1995 that we discovered Yeboah’s capacity to stop time and demand that the world watched him. At that moment it felt like an unstoppable force had joined up with an unbreakable object, and there was nothing that could stand in the way of Leeds United and global domination.

Such moments come along very rarely, but this was such an electrifying romance that there were no limits to where it could take us. In reality, it took us as far as Eindhoven, but anyone who witnessed Yeboah in his brutal yet graceful pomp, could be forgiven for still dreaming today.

The striker cost £3.4million from Eintracht Frankfurt
Anthony Yeboah arrived as a complete unknown in January 1995, signed from Eintracht Frankfurt for £3.4million. Leeds had been stung by the failure to capture big name targets Tomas Skuhravy and Ruben Sosa, and a palpable anxiety at being left behind by the influx of foreign imports at other Premier League clubs, meant Messrs Fotherby and Wilkinson had to act.

Yeboah’s arrival was muted, with few fans hanging much hope on the Ghanaian settling quickly in the frozen wilds of West Yorkshire. But February was a big month for Yeboah. 24 years ago this month, Yeboah scored his first goal for Leeds, as a substitute in a 3-1 FA Cup defeat at Manchester United. A week later he would make his first start versus Everton, and promptly notched his first league goal, the only goal in a 1-0 win. He also scored in the League Cup Semi-Final first leg at Birmingham City also in February, albeit a year later.

The pace picked up and Yeboah had soon acclimatised, and so had his teammates, to the arrival of a direct and uncompromising forward who had quickly become a sure thing in front of goal. And early the following season, pundits all over the country were asking “who is this guy?”   

Leeds United nostalgia

Remember the good old days? Whether it's the Revie Era, Sgt Wilko's last champions or O'Leary's young guns, we've created a Facebook Group to share you memories of all things Leeds United.

Join the group here and take a trip down memory lane.

Mixed in with monstrous strikes against Liverpool and Wimbledon, which established him as the first player to win ‘Match Of The Day’s ‘Goal of the Month’ competition two months’ running, Yeboah plundered a succession of goals that showcased his technique, balance, poise and pace and most supremely, his savage and untamed power.

In short, Yeboah had everything. He could glide undetected, like the whispering death, but with thighs like a Rugby League prop forward he was a magnificent example of how the human body can be honed and adapted as the ultimate shoot-on-sight machine.

While the Liverpool and Wimbledon goals, each scored with the instep of his ‘wrong’ foot, took the headlines, it was perhaps Yeboah’s hat-trick in the UEFA Cup in Monaco that cemented him as one of the world’s top strikers of the time. In the comprehensive destruction of a star-studded Monaco team, Yeboah took the plaudits for three goals that succinctly demonstrated his array of skills. Predatory, skilful and clinical, he was indisputably on centre stage now.

Yeboah netted a European hat-trick against Monaco in 1995
Alas, Wilkinson’s Leeds hit a rut of form in the second half of 1995/96. Yeboah defied injury to play as a lone front man in the disastrous League Cup Final defeat to Aston Villa, but little did we know, he had already scored his last goals for Leeds United.

Incoming manager George Graham never saw eye-to-eye with Yeboah, and the Ghanaian’s fitness never truly recovered. The sporadic and lifeless performances he made during the prolonged misery that was the 1996/97 season were a pale imitation of his former majesty. Graham’s Leeds were mechanical and one-dimensional, and while they were crying out for Yeboah’s artistry, it was like Samson had been shorn of his locks. And when Yeboah threw his shirt at Graham when subbed at Tottenham Hotspur, it was only going to end one way.
Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #97 på: Juli 05, 2019, 15:01:15 »
Tenkte eg det ikkje:

“Best time of my life” – Leeds United cult hero speaks of regret at not staying at Elland Road
By Sport Witness - 3rd July 2019

Former Leeds United forward Tony Yeboah has revealed the best time of his life was when he was playing for the Elland Road club.

The Leeds cult hero played just over two seasons with the West Yorkshire side and is best remembered for some wonder strikes.

Speaking to FourFourTwo, Yeboah spoke of regret at leaving the club in 1997: “Playing for Leeds was the best of my life. Looking back, maybe I should have stayed there for the rest of my career.”

Asked about his former club’s near miss last season to get promotion, the Ghanaian said: “It was disappointing that they didn’t quite do it last season, but it’s the closest they’ve been for a while. I have no doubt that if Marcelo Bielsa stays, they’ll eventually go up.”

In his second season with Leeds United, Yeboah picked up the BBC Goal of the Month for August and September in 1995. The 53 year old scored a stunning winner against Liverpool and followed this up with a volley n a clash with Wimbledon.

He would go on to score 22 league goals that season to better the 18 he got in his debut campaign in the Premier League.
Yeboah spent 9 seasons playing in Ghana before getting a move to Europe when he signed for Bundesliga side Eintracht Frankfurt. The forward spent 5 seasons in Germany before moving to Leeds United in the mid-nineties.

After his spell in England the former Ghana international returned to Germany with Hamburg, before finishing his career in the Middle East.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/best-time-life-leeds-united-cult-hero-speaks-regret-not-staying-elland-road/
Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #98 på: Desember 03, 2019, 20:36:12 »
‘Without Leeds United, I’m not Tony Yeboah’ - cult hero reminisces on time at the club

He was back in Leeds last month to mark the club’s centenary celebrations, revealing it was actually his strike against Liverpool, the club he supported growing up, that was his favourite.

“Without Leeds United, I’m not Tony Yeboah. The Leeds United fans, I’m always saying, my first game against QPR, the support they gave to me was magnificent, was unbelievable.

“Fantastic,” Yeboah responded when asked what the club means to him.

“I played in Germany - Hamburg, Frankfurt - but when you compare to Leeds fans, no way, they have fantastic fans.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #99 på: Februar 08, 2021, 15:16:27 »
Dagens Moscowhite...  :)

Eurostar: Leeds vs Crystal Palace, 9th May 1995
GAZZA TO YEBOAH
Written by Moscowhite • Daniel Chapman
Artwork by Eamonn Dalton
February 8, 2021
The more games Leeds won, the further Leeds went up the Premier League table, the nearer Leeds got to UEFA Cup qualification, the busier Bill Fotherby became.

“It’s all very well clubs coming in now and saying they’ve made bids,” said United’s managing director, about news that Glasgow Rangers were close to signing Paul Gascoigne from Lazio. “If he feels Leeds can offer a better base for his England future, he’ll come here. I’m still confident we’ll get him.”

Fotherby was always busy and Fotherby was always confident, but in May 1995, his optimism was not out of place at Elland Road. This wasn’t like bringing Diego Maradona from Napoli to Division Two in 1986. Gazza in midfield with Gary McAllister, Gary Speed and Carlton Palmer felt like something that could happen.

Even just a couple of months earlier it might have been laughed off — same old Bill with the same old dreams. The season had seemed to be fading out during an aimless winter; after an inconsistent start to the season Leeds had found some rhythm, but it was a slow beat, one win from seven. Leeds were mid-table, although Howard Wilkinson thought his side was playing better than its results suggested.

A 4-0 win over QPR at the end of January supported his view. David White and Brian Deane scored one each, and when Phil Masinga scored his second with six minutes to go it gave Wilkinson security to introduce a new striker. The game was already won, and now came the turning point.

Fourteen starts. Nine wins, three draws, two defeats. 21 goals for the team, ten of them for Anthony Yeboah. “Goalscorers inspire a team,” said Gary McAllister. “Since Tony’s arrived, that is exactly what he has done for us.”

Yeboah hadn’t scored at the weekend, when victory at Elland Road had relegated Norwich City, and he wasn’t at his best. With ten minutes left McAllister had equalised with a penalty given, to Norwich manager Gary Megson’s great anger, for a foul on Yeboah, who was then replaced by Noel Whelan; it was up to Carlton Palmer to make it 2-1 to Leeds in stoppage time. But Wilkinson had been careful to embrace his striker as he came off, to put an arm around him, appreciate his efforts. Europe was the target and Gascoigne was the dream, but there wasn’t much more important than keeping Tony happy.

The conditions of Yeboah’s transfer were complicated. Leeds had paid £800,000 for him in January. To keep him, they would have to pay another £2.6m to Eintracht Frankfurt before the end of June. Yeboah also had a get-out clause for his first twelve months allowing him to leave if he wasn’t happy in Yorkshire. The Sunday tabloids were hinting he wanted out already, and when Eintracht manager Bernd Holzenbein arrived to watch the midweek match with Crystal Palace at Elland Road, he told Fotherby, “I want to take Tony back with me.”

A side effect of United’s improving form was a raising of stakes. The Premier League’s top five would qualify for Europe; Leeds were 6th, but victory could take them 4th. Palace ought to be routine fodder; they were freefalling into the bottom four that would be relegated to the Endsleigh League. But Leeds needed stoppage time winners — both from Palmer — to win their last two games, and with Frankfurt in attendance and the weekend’s substitution fresh in his mind, much would depend on Tony Yeboah’s feelings. Winning would take Leeds closer to the UEFA Cup, giving them the funds needed to sign him and the stage to keep him happy. But what if he wanted to go back to Frankfurt after all?

After six minutes Leeds had their answer. Palmer was almost lazy on the touchline, waving a long leg and lifting the ball vaguely into the penalty area. But all Yeboah needed was for the ball to come in his general direction. He span around Eric Young, then held the defender off as he tried dragging him back, following the ball to a tight angle close to Nigel Martyn’s goal, from where he jabbed it with the outside of his boot into the far corner. He ran off to celebrate, and why shouldn’t he, when scoring was this easy?

Increasing the score was made difficult by Martyn, who faced down shot after shot from Deane in particular, but just before half-time David Wetherall doubled the lead, heading in Tony Dorigo’s corner at the back post.

On the hour the game was all sorted, Yeboah again bringing definition to United’s fuzzy play. A scramble developed around the bounce of John Lukic’s goal kick, Deane and Rod Wallace trying to wrest control from Palace; when the ball rolled from Wallace’s run into Yeboah’s path, his action was emphatic. Thirty yards out he darted between the centre-backs with the ball at his feet, into the penalty area, where he calmly chipped over Martyn’s dive and into the net, before running off to take the acclaim from the Kop. Leeds did let Chris Armstrong pull a goal back, but they had confidence to play out the rest of the game with what one reporter dared to describe as flair.

Leeds had their answer, and so did Holzenbein. Fotherby had kept a close watch on him, making sure he didn’t get a chance to snatch away United’s star. “I was astonished at Frankfurt’s attitude,” he said. “I told them we would report the matter to FIFA if there was any attempt to approach him.”

Frankfurt was the one thing Yeboah wasn’t missing. “I’m happy here and I want to stay,” he said. “I’ll be seeing the manager next week,” about finalising his three-year contract.

“I’ve been delighted with the football side of things from day one. The fans have been magnificent, we’re close to a European place and I couldn’t be happier. The big question mark was whether my family would take to living in England. But my wife and little daughter have already settled in well. I can’t see any problems. I have decided I want to stay at Leeds — and if we can reach agreement over the next few days, that’s what I’ll be doing.”

With Holzenbein on the next flight home from Yeadon, one of Fotherby’s dreams was secure. Now for the next one. Because if Yeboah could do that with Carlton Palmer whacking the ball at him, imagine what he’d be like with Gazza in midfield? ◉

https://www.thesquareball.net/leeds-united/eurostar-leeds-vs-crystal-palace-9th-may-1995/
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan