Skrevet av Emne: De la Costa!!  (Lest 3696 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Sølvreven

Re: De la Costa!!
« Svar #30 på: Oktober 06, 2007, 20:13:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by cooper

[:)]Bare vent til tirsdag... Da får vi se la Costa brilljere LIVE på Sky Sports...[8]

Viser de virkelig Leeds på tisdag? Kun på Sky?

Better dead than red.

Champions League, here we come!

Leedsoholic. Oppfinneren av "pretting".

kjelvi

Re: De la Costa!!
« Svar #31 på: Oktober 12, 2007, 23:37:52 »
It's one step at a time for Filipe

BIG STAGE: Filipe De Costa has settled in well at Leeds

FILIPE DA COSTA'S name was passed to Elland Road on good authority.
The recommendation for his transfer came from Jorge Mendes, the agent of the stars in Portuguese football. Mendes commands vast influence on the Iberian peninsula, and the tip-off from a credible source compelled Leeds to act.
Signing Da Costa in August was a mild stab in the dark, but Mendes' advice allowed United to thrust their blade with confidence. What he failed to predict, however, was that the tangled system of professional football contracts in Greece which would delay Da Costa's debut until the second week of October.
The winger F***ed a niche which was otherwise unoccupied at Elland Road – that of an exceptionally quick midfielder with creative nous – and his brief involvement in United's victory over Darlington on Tuesday night was animated enough to suggest that the effort required to complete his transfer was worth expending.
Da Costa received provisional international clearance from FIFA last week, a month and two days after signing for Leeds, and full approval will be provided when his contractual disagreement with Greek club Ionikos is conclusively resolved.
Ionikos claimed Da Costa was under contract in Greece, but the 23-year-old was not prepared to renege on the one-year deal he had signed with Leeds. His first league appearance, if granted against Leyton Orient tomorrow, would be the beginning of what he hopes will be a boundless career in England.
"For me it's a dream come true to play for a team like Leeds," said Da Costa "They're known all over the world.
"Since I was a child I've loved English football. It's the best in Europe and it was always a dream to play here. Amazingly, I've come directly to one of the biggest teams in England. It makes me very happy and very proud.
"The waiting was long but it paid off. It took a little longer than I expected and it's a big, big relief. But it's all good. I just want to play, live my life and help Leeds.
"I didn't leave (Ionikos) on bad terms. Some legal problems happened, but everything was okay. I had two great years there at a very good level, but this is a new part of my life and a very big step in my career.
I'm happy."
The conflict between Da Costa and Ionikos is believed to have stemmed from the complicated way in which Greek contracts are drawn up, but the arrival of full international clearance should be a formality after FIFA agreed to arbitrate and settle the case.
Wise waited fully five weeks to hand Da Costa his debut at Darlington on Tuesday, but United's manager can be assured that the midfielder is as unfamiliar to the rest of England as he was to Leeds before the summer.
His career began in the junior ranks at Benfica, where he completed an apprenticeship before relocating to Greece almost three years ago.
Mendes saw enough in his performances to throw Da Costa's name to Gwyn Williams, United's director of football, and Da Costa has become the archetypal secret weapon.
Before Tuesday evening, United's supporters had relied on footage gathered from the internet to discover everything they knew about a player signed minutes before the transfer deadline in August. Wise said: "We've got temporary release from FIFA so he can be involved until his situation is fully sorted out. The sooner the better. But it was good to see him pull on a Leeds shirt.
"He just needs to get used to English football. He's got tons of ability and he's one who's capable of going on for 20 minutes and opening teams up.
"He needs to be an impact player, but also a player who works for the team. I don't want too many luxuries – I like players first and foremost who work for the team. Then their ability comes through."
Wise has had an excess of time with which to identify Da Costa's strengths.
The winger trained with Leeds before completing his transfer and remained with the club while they waited for international clearance. The value of familiarity seemed evident on Tuesday as Da Costa took to the left side of Wise's line-up with little fuss and obvious enthusiasm.
"It felt lovely," said Da Costa. "I hope I can keep improving every day and that we can achieve our goal, which is to get into the Championship.
"It was tough for me because a football player wants to play. There were problems with the clearance but I knew it was going to come. You have to keep the hard work going and hope that one day your moment will come. It finally came and it was one of the best moments for me, a great feeling.
"The standard of football is faster, a little bit stronger, and you must use your fitness a bit more. But I'm trying to establish my type of football within the English type of football. Slowly I'll get there.
"I already have a house and I'm already with my wife and my son.
Everything’s okay – except the weather! I have to get used to that, but it’s not that bad.”
Da Costa was an unused substitute during last Saturday’s victory over Yeovil, on the bench and in the thick of a crowd at Elland Road which surpassed 27,000.
The attendance was a surprise, though not as unexpected as the sight of almost 3,000 supporters on a cold Tuesday evening at Darlington. A first glimpse of Da Costa was, in itself, worth much of the money paid to watch a Johnstone’s Paint Trophy tie.
The winger is left-footed and quick, and comparisons with Harry Kewell, however hopeful, have been quickly made. Da Costa followed the career of Kewell closely but has been reluctant to encourage the flattering suggestion.
“That’s too much,” he said. “Harry Kewell was a fantastic player with a left foot. It’s too soon to be compared to such a good player as him, but it’s something that motivates me a lot.
“I don’t want my head to get too high. I’ll keep it low and keep working, that’s all.”

YEP
« Siste redigering: Oktober 12, 2007, 23:38:28 av kjelvi »