Skrevet av Emne: LEGENDE: Paul Madeley  (Lest 5018 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Promotion 2010

LEGENDE: Paul Madeley
« på: September 21, 2017, 18:46:59 »
Også kalt Rolls Royce!

Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

Promotion 2010

Sv: LEGENDE: Paul Madeley
« Svar #1 på: September 21, 2017, 18:47:29 »
Gratulerer med gårsdagen, Paul!

73 år!
« Siste redigering: September 21, 2017, 18:50:56 av Promotion 2010 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #2 på: September 21, 2017, 18:48:55 »
Paul Edward Madeley (born 20 September 1944 in Beeston, Leeds, West Riding of Yorkshire) is a former Leeds United and England footballer. During his career with Leeds, Madeley played in a variety of different playing positions which led to him being described as a utility

:)
« Siste redigering: Juli 24, 2018, 00:02:44 av Promotion 2010 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #3 på: September 21, 2017, 18:50:32 »
Youth career
1962–1966   Leeds United

Senior career*
Years   Team   Apps   (Gls)
1963–1980   Leeds United   536   (25 innbytter)

National team
1971–1977   England         25    ( 0 )

« Siste redigering: Juli 24, 2018, 00:04:05 av Promotion 2010 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #4 på: September 21, 2017, 18:50:44 »
...det hører jo med til historien (vedr. den kontrakten) at han etter karrieren vel ble den mest velstående av de alle. Satset på forretninger som lyktes. Dessverre er han vel ganske så svekket av sykdom pr nå. :(
Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

veteranen

• Gjest
« Svar #5 på: September 21, 2017, 20:11:30 »
Til dem som måtte lure på hvordan Paul Madeley fikk tilnavnet "Rolls Royce":

Det var Don Revie som gav ham dette. Madeley hadde et litt spesielt løpesett (veldig rak rygg), og når han akselrerte så det ut som at han nærmest bare gled opp i toppfart (og han var hurtig!). Og denne hurtige men samtidig "myke" akselrasjonen, assosierte Revie med automatgirkassa i datidens Rolls Royce.

oddball

Paul Madeley RIP
« Svar #6 på: Juli 23, 2018, 23:11:48 »
Etter hvert som tiden går så blir flere av de gamle gutta borte. Paul Madeley døde i dag i en alder av 73 år. Han spilte i Leeds i hele sin karriere - og det ble 536 seriekamper (25 mål) i tidsrommet 1963-80. Han spilte også 24 landskamper for England.
Totalt ble det 711 obligatoriske kamper (33 mål) i Leeds-trøya.

Cannavaro

Sv: Paul Madeley RIP
« Svar #7 på: Juli 23, 2018, 23:15:39 »
En av de store fra 70-tallet det der, kallenavn "Rolls Royce of football".  RIP Madeley, fra Revie-æraen.
MFLU - Miracles For Leeds United

Hallgeir *

« Svar #8 på: Juli 23, 2018, 23:16:42 »
Nok en fra storlaget på 60 og 70-tallet er borte. Trist.  :(

RIP, Paul.

Super Leeds since 1968

DOFFER

« Svar #9 på: Juli 23, 2018, 23:18:52 »
RIP :'(
We love you Leeds! Leeds! Leeds!

ragnar

« Svar #10 på: Juli 23, 2018, 23:52:43 »
RIP
*In El Loco we trust!*

Promotion 2010

« Svar #11 på: Juli 23, 2018, 23:57:06 »

RIP, Paul.

Er vel bare Billy (1997) og Paul M som er borte!

Han ble vel bare 73 år Paul, som har slitt med helsa i mange år!

Min første Leeds-kamp:

veteranen

• Gjest
« Svar #12 på: Juli 24, 2018, 00:05:48 »

RIP, Paul.

Er vel bare Billy (1997) og Paul M som er borte!

.. og Gary Sprake ...

Promotion 2010

« Svar #13 på: Juli 24, 2018, 00:09:24 »

Revie liked to call him his 'Rolls- Royce' and even in a team which acquired a fierce reputation for being adept at the ugly side of the game he was always an absolute gentleman.

Second was his humility. 'I'm not in the great team,' said Madeley. 'Ask anyone to name the great Leeds United team in my era and I don't figure in it. I don't figure in it, even if I'm choosing the team.

'I switched about, due to injury mainly, I never had a regular spot. No, the team was: Sprake; Reaney and Cooper full-backs; Charlton and Hunter centre backs; in midfield Lorimer, Bremner, Giles, Eddie Gray; and up front Mick Jones and Allan Clarke.' The modest appraisal encapsulates his brilliance and he was highly regarded by anyone who watched Revie's Leeds rise through the ranks and dominate English football.

Don Revie (L) built a great successful Leeds team which Madeley was an integral part to

But he offered a clue of his humility when he said he would not command a place in the team

His death at the age of 73 was confirmed on Monday night with a message on Facebook from Paul Reaney's son Neil.

'An absolute colossus who has battled against the odds for years,' said Neil Reaney. 'A massive hero of mine and a lot of Leeds fans. Dad grew up with this legend and they came through the Elland Road ranks together to play in one of the best sides Europe and the world will see.

'Paul Madeley; RIP Big Ed, you've earned the rest.'

MADELEY'S DREAM XI

Sprake; Reaney, Cooper, Charlton, Hunter; Lorimer, Bremner, Giles, Eddie Gray; Jones, Clark;

Madeley's versatility extended beyond football, where he enjoyed a successful business career with his brothers. They sold a chain of DIY stores for £27million in 1987 and he was often hailed as a potential saviour as Leeds plunged into financial crisis.

But he had suffered from health problems since his retirement. In 1992, he underwent a successful operation to remove a brain tumour.

Later there was a mild heart attack and he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

Madeley did not return in an official capacity after his retirement as a player in 1980 but he was a one-club man, born in Beeston, and, like most of Revie's players, would always adore Leeds United.

The bonds were tight from the many battles they went through together and he played a significant part in many of them, sometimes up front and sometimes at the back.

In the early year, he was more often utilised in attacking positions. He wore number nine in the League Cup final and scored the vital away goal at Juventus when Leeds won the Fairs Cup.

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #15 på: Juli 24, 2018, 00:12:53 »
Paul Madeley, former Leeds and England utility man, dies aged 73
• Player was described by Don Revie as his ‘Rolls-Royce’
• Madeley earned 24 international caps from 1970-1977
Guardian sport and agencies
Mon 23 Jul 2018 22.39 BST Last modified on Mon 23 Jul 2018 22.59 BST

Shares
 Paul Madeley, pictured in 1971, won two First Division titles with Leeds United, as well as the FA Cup and League Cup.

The versatile former Leeds United player Paul Madeley has died at the age of 73, the club have announced.

Madeley made his Leeds debut in 1964 and spent his entire career through to 1980 with the West Yorkshire side, winning two First Division titles, the FA Cup and the League Cup under the manager Don Revie. He also played 24 times for England during the 1970s.

His family, in a statement, said: “Paul was a much-loved husband, father and brother and the family are extremely proud of his achievements. Don Revie christened him his ‘Rolls-Royce’ and to us he was just that – a class act as a husband and father who always had time for everyone.”

Paul Madeley vies for the ball with Liverpool’s Kevin Keegan during a fourth-round match in the 1972 League Cup.
 Paul Madeley vies for the ball with Liverpool’s Kevin Keegan during a fourth-round match in the 1972 League Cup. Photograph: Liverpool FC/Liverpool FC via Getty Images
Leeds United tweeted a tribute, adding: “Everyone at #LUFC is deeply saddened to hear of the passing of #LUFC legend Paul Madeley. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.”

The club’s owner Andrea Radrizzani tweeted: “Incredibly sad to hear about the passing of a Leeds legend. RIP Rolls-Royce.”

Madeley’s first season ended with the club winning the old Second Division title, and he went on to play a major role in the most successful era in the club’s history. During his Elland Road career, the Whites won the First Division in 1969 and 1974, as well as finishing runners-up five times.

They also won the 1968 League Cup, the 1972 FA Cup and were beaten in two European finals – the European Cup Winners’ Cup in 1973 and the 1975 European Cup.

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #16 på: Juli 24, 2018, 00:15:39 »
Paul Madeley: Leeds United legend dies, aged 73
35 minutes ago From the sectionLeeds United
Share this page
 Leeds United in the Camp Nou
Paul Madeley (top row; 3rd from left) was a key part of the Leeds side under first Don Revie then Jimmy Armfield
Former Leeds United and England defender Paul Madeley has died, aged 73.

Madeley made 727 appearances during an 18-year Leeds career, playing in every position bar goalkeeper.

He won league championship, FA Cup, League Cup and Inter-City Fairs Cup honours, and was a losing European Cup and Cup-Winners' Cup finalist.

Paul was a much-loved husband, father and brother," the Madeley family statement read.

"The family are extremely proud of his achievements in life and on the field for Leeds United and England.

"He was born in Beeston, a stones-throw from Elland Road, and only ever played for and supported Leeds United.

"The late Don Revie christened him his 'Rolls Royce' and to us he was just that - a class act as a husband and a father who always had time for everyone he met.

"Paul's wife Ann and sons Jason and Nick would like to thank everyone for their support and well wishes.

"At this difficult time, we ask for privacy as we grieve a great loss."

The club have confirmed they will wear black armbands in Tuesday's friendly against Oxford United, while a further celebration of his life will be made at the Championship opener against Stoke on Sunday, 5 August.

Beeston-born Madeley was a key figure in Don Revie's heralded and at times notorious Leeds side of the late 1960s and 1970s, sharing the spotlight with stars such as Peter Lorimer, Norman Hunter, Billy Bremner and Johnny Giles.

In addition to his club achievements, he also played 24 games for England, predominantly in defence, with the last of his caps coming against the Netherlands in 1977.

"Everyone at Leeds United is deeply saddened to hear of the passing of legend Paul Madeley," the club tweeted.

"Our thoughts are with his family and friends."

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #17 på: Juli 24, 2018, 00:17:35 »
Farsley Celtic

Everyone at the football club is saddened to hear of the passing of former @FarsleyCelticFC and @LUFC player Paul Madeley. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #18 på: Juli 24, 2018, 00:19:52 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #19 på: Juli 24, 2018, 00:21:46 »
Lufcstats

Paul Madeley played 727 for Leeds, scoring 33 goals, playing in every position bar number 1, winning the first division x2, day cup, league cup and Inter Cities Fairs cup x2. RIP

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #20 på: Juli 24, 2018, 00:25:20 »
Phil Hay
Statement from the Madeley family: "Paul was a much-loved husband, father and brother and the family are extremely proud of his achievements. Don Revie christened him his Rolls Royce and to us he was just that: a class act as a husband and father who always had time for everyone"

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #21 på: Juli 24, 2018, 00:30:04 »
Phil Hay
Nice tribute from Eddie Gray who said Madeley was good enough to "play anywhere you asked him to." Spoke to Mick Jones about him a few months back: "He never drank, he never smoked, he said very little. He looked after himself perfectly." #lufc

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #22 på: Juli 24, 2018, 00:32:49 »
Amital Winehouse

#LUFC will pay tribute to Madeley by wearing black armbands against Oxford tomorrow night and game against Stoke will include celebration of his life

Min første Leeds-kamp:

h.b

• Gjest
« Svar #23 på: Juli 24, 2018, 00:35:57 »
R.I.P

Promotion 2010

« Svar #24 på: Juli 24, 2018, 09:10:18 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #25 på: Juli 24, 2018, 09:15:33 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #26 på: Juli 24, 2018, 12:52:22 »
LUFCdata

727 apps
33 goals
24 caps
17 years at Leeds
10 positions
8 club honours
3 PFA Team of the Year
1 club
1 Leeds legend

Rolls-Royce lived the ultimate dream of any Leeds fan. He loved Leeds, gave the club everything, and we'll love him forever.

Thank you Paul Edward Madeley.

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #28 på: Juli 24, 2018, 13:16:52 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #29 på: Juli 25, 2018, 14:16:57 »
Paul Madeley obituary

Versatile England and Leeds United footballer described as ‘seven top-class players in one’

Peter Mason

Paul Madeley appearing for Leeds Utd against Wolves in 1973. Photograph: Colorsport/Rex/Shutterstock
So versatile was the footballer Paul Madeley that in his 18 years at Leeds United during the 1960s and 70s he played in every position bar goalkeeper, prompting his team-mate Johnny Giles to describe him as “seven top-class players in one”. The ultimate utility player, Madeley, who has died aged 73, also appeared in seven different roles for England, although in general he was best known as a defender, especially in his later years.

Madeley’s all-round prowess made him an indispensable fixture in Don Revie’s best Leeds sides, with whom he won two league titles, an FA Cup, a League Cup and two Fairs Cups during the glory years at Elland Road from 1965 to 1975. A staunch loyalist, he stayed on even when fortunes waned, and retired in 1980 having made 711 appearances for the club.

Revie’s Leeds were renowned for their hard, physical edge, but while Madeley never overlooked his duties in the tackling department he also brought a more cultured feel to the side with his neat, composed passing and intelligent reading of the game. Well balanced and rarely ruffled, he was a calming influence in a team of uncompromising characters.

Paul Madeley playing for England against Czechoslovakia in 1975. Photograph: Colorsport/Rex/Shutterstock
Born in the Beeston area of Leeds, one of the three sons of Gladys (nee Nelson) and John Madeley, he left Parkside school in the city to work as an insurance clerk while playing as a defender for the local non-league club Farsley Celtic. He was signed by Second Division Leeds as a 17-year-old, making his debut at centre-half two years later in 1964, the year Leeds won promotion to the top flight and began a period of high attainment over the next decade.

He rarely missed a game as Leeds became one of the most formidable teams in Europe – playing with ease at left- or right-back, as a centre-half, sweeper, on either flank in midfield as well as in the centre, or, for good measure, as an attacking midfielder or striker if required. He appeared as a forward in the League Cup final victory over Arsenal in 1968 and again in the two-legged 1971 Fairs Cup final win against Juventus in which he wore the No 11 shirt for both ties, scoring a crucial goal in the first.

Although a quiet, modest man, Madeley was certainly listened to within the Leeds hierarchy, and it was said to be his intervention, after the departure of Revie, that sealed the fate of Brian Clough during his famous 44-day reign as Leeds manager in 1974. During an emergency meeting to discuss Clough’s controversial start to his new position, various parties struggled to get their point across to the Leeds director Sam Bolton until Madeley stood up to announce, quite bluntly, that “what the players are trying to say, Mr Bolton, is that he’s no good”. That was enough for the club management, and Clough was on his way.

With England, Madeley showed a similarly quiet resolve. He made his debut for his country in 1971, but that was later than it might have been. He had turned down a request from Sir Alf Ramsey to join the 1970 World Cup squad in Mexico in place of his club-mate Paul Reaney, who had broken a leg. Madeley informed Ramsey that he would prefer to go on holiday with his family after a gruelling season with Leeds. Yet, as some measure of Madeley’s stature, within the game, the England manager did not appear to hold it against him.

Playing mainly in defence, including as a centre-half alongside Bobby Moore, he was capped 24 times thereafter, with the last of his appearances coming against Holland in 1977. It is possible that he regretted his decision to miss the 1970 finals, for England did not qualify for any major tournament during his time in the side.

Madeley retired from football during the 1980-81 season in his mid-30s and moved quickly into business, having already taken an interest in a paint and DIY enterprise with members of his family. The company flourished, and it was eventually sold for around £30m in 1987. From the early 1990s, however, he suffered from ill health in multiple guises. In 2003 he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, and he died from complications associated with that condition.

He is survived by his wife, Ann (nee Telford), whom he married in 1969, and by their sons, Jason and Nick.

• Paul Edward Madeley, footballer, born 20 September 1944; died 23 July 2018

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/25/paul-madeley-obituary
Min første Leeds-kamp: