Skrevet av Emne: Ex-Manager / Head coach: Marcelo Bielsa  (Lest 400545 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 3 gjester leser dette emnet.

Promotion 2010

Sv: Manager / Head coach: Marcelo Bielsa
« Svar #570 på: September 11, 2018, 08:21:31 »
Leeds United boss Marcelo Bielsa delivering on all his promises, says Adam Forshaw

Phil Hay
Published: 06:00 Tuesday 11 September 2018
 Adam Forshaw.
Adam Forshaw.
THERE is an age-old routine to managerial appointments in which the new incumbent always promises improvement and change.

Thomas Christiansen used footage of performances under Garry Monk to highlight ways in which Leeds United were going wrong. Marcelo Bielsa sifted through the whole of last season before explaining how he would shake up the club and create a team of “protagonists”.

Adam Forshaw, like every footballer, knows the drill in these scenarios – the inevitable changes in direction which come with any new broom – but the scale of the shift under Bielsa’s management has taken him by surprise.

Even from a distance during a month out injured, Forshaw could see a squad undergoing a complete overhaul: F***er, fine-tuned and coached in a way which allowed the concept of ‘Bielsa-ball’ to work.

It worked to striking degree in August, taking Leeds to the top of the Championship and earning Bielsa the manager-of-the-month award at the first time of asking. That award could be classed as a case of the Argentinian adapting quickly to an unfamiliar league but Bielsa spent most of August forcing the league to adapt to him.

So it is this weekend that for the second time in two years, Leeds head to Millwall in mid-September with an unbeaten record to defend.

Leeds United head coach Marcelo Bielsa.

Forshaw has recovered from a broken foot bone and could feature in United’s squad for the first time this season on Saturday. His close-range observations of Bielsa are similar to those of people on the outside: that the 63-year-old is “the boss”, with an absolute commitment to one way of playing. Like most of the players, Forshaw lost weight over the summer through a hard training schedule which prepared Bielsa’s side for the intensity he expected them to play with.

“He’s been fantastic,” Forshaw said. “He’s the boss and that’s how it is. He’s got such an aura in terms of the way you respect him for the calibre of coach he is and what he’s done but at the same time, he’s a nice guy as well.

“A lot of managers can come into a club and say ‘you’re not fit enough and I want to play this way’. He’s actually put the work in and got us to a stage where we’re fit enough to play the way he wants us to. Other managers in the past have maybe wanted to do it but haven’t put foundations down like he has. The conditioning of the players is there now to perform and improve. Because I think we still can improve.”

The recent Amazon documentary charting the inner workings of Manchester City last season has shown Pep Guardiola, a confirmed disciple of Bielsa’s, at very close-quarters with his players. At Leeds, Bielsa has been more distant; in complete control of the coaching set-up but at arms’ length from the squad for much of the time and happy to delegate to his large clutch of assistants, Pablo Quiroga, Diego Reyes, Diego Flores and Carlos Corberan. His technical area operates in much the same way, dominated by his staff until Bielsa feels the need to animate himself.

Genuinely it’s been so professional. I’ve enjoyed it so much, even watching while I’ve not been fit. The intensity we play at, the professionalism of it all, I really can’t fault it.

Adam Forshaw
“If he wants to tell you something in a football sense, he’ll talk to you all day and explain things,” Forshaw said. “Apart from that, we spend a lot of time with the staff.

“Genuinely it’s been so professional. I’ve enjoyed it so much, even watching while I’ve not been fit. The intensity we play at, the professionalism of it all, I really can’t fault it. Ultimately, if you work with that intensity in training then it’s going to seep into the games.

“All the players bought into the whole idea from Marcelo and I can tell you this about everybody – they look like different players with the condition they’ve got themselves in.”

Bielsa, for his part, bought into Forshaw’s attributes and was ready to use the midfielder in the advanced role occupied to impressive effect by Mateusz Klich last month. Forshaw, however, suffered an injury in training and was ruled out before Leeds’ last pre-season friendly against Las Palmas on July 29. After a month out, he aimed to resume full training this week and give himself a chance of making the squad at Millwall.

It has been this way for Forshaw since his £3m move from Middlesbrough in January.

He had a minor calf strain when he signed and was diagnosed with a grade-two tear in the muscle in the latter stages of last season. In all he has started nine matches.

“I went away and worked so hard in the off season,” he said. “It was a bit stop-start last season after I signed in January. I only played 12 games so I worked really hard, lost some weight – which is massive for the manager – and felt really sharp.

“I felt ahead of where I wanted to be and I had a lot of fitness in the tank. This injury isn’t down to me not looking after myself. It was a freak, unfortunately.”

In the interim he has watched and learned, trying to be a “sponge” around Bielsa. Forshaw could have another 10 years ahead of him as a player but there is something about Bielsa which encourages him to take lessons from a breed of coach he might not play under again.

“For me, who knows? Potentially in the future I might want to be a coach or a manager or work in football,” he said. “We’d be stupid as players not to want to be a sponge to this guy. We know where he’s managed, at international level and in Spain and France. It’s key for us to want to learn.”
Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

Promotion 2010

« Svar #571 på: September 16, 2018, 17:55:13 »
I Am The Resurrection: How Marcelo Bielsa Has Woken a Sleeping Giant.

THAT'S LIQUID FOOTBALL
That's Liquid Football

5 hours ago

“A man with new ideas is a madman, until his ideas triumph.”
Marcelo Bielsa

In a summer that was low on intrigue in the transfer market and devoid of any kind of meaningful drama in the top tier of English football, Marcelo Bielsa’s appointment as Leeds United manager came as a bolt from the blue. The union of a coach best known for his obsessive attention to detail and the tendancy to walk out of a job at the drop of the hat and a club that has been a basket case for the past fifteen years was as shocking as it was intriguing. The chemical equation was potentially explosive, with pundits wondering if the Argentinian would even outstay Brian Clough’s forty-four days in charge at Elland Road, given that he resigned just forty-eight hours after becoming Lazio boss in 2016. Heading into this weekend, Bielsa’s Leeds sat top of the Championship, unbeaten with fourteen points from six games, and playing the kind of football that Whites fans have been deprived of for too long. Finally, something is stirring in West Yorkshire.

It’s fair to say that the twenty-first century hasn’t been kind to Leeds United supporters. The first two seasons of the new millennium saw David O’Leary’s side fighting for the Premier League title and reaching the semi-finals of the Champions League, but hopes of a team regularly challenging for silverware were quickly squashed when it emerged that chairman Peter Ridsdale had taken out loans against the club’s future success, a decision that spectacularly backfired when, the following season, Leeds finished fifth. From then on things spiralled out of control, as two relegations in three years left the club languishing in League One, with sadistic grandfather figure Ken Bates as owner and Dennis Wise as manager. An upturn in form under Simon Grayson saw Leeds return to the Championship and reach the play-off final in successive seasons, but a 3-0 defeat to Watford at Wembley denied them the opportunity to return to the Premier League. In 2014, Italian entrepreneur Massimo Cellino purchased a controlling stake in the club, and the pantomime at Elland Road welcomed a new character. One of Cellino’s first decisions was to appoint Forest Green Rovers boss Dave Hockaday as manager, despite the former Hull City winger having no experience of league football. Needless to say, the experiment failed, and what followed was a two year managerial merry-go-round, as Darko Milanič, Neil Redfearn, Uwe Rosler, Steve Evans and Garry Monk all took their turn in the impossible job. Then, in 2017, businessman Andrea Radrizzani burst through the Yorkshire clouds to put an end to Cellino’s madness, taking ownership of Leeds United and re-purchasing the freehold to Elland Road. A disappointing season followed, as both Thomas Christensen and Paul Heckingbottom failed to live up to expectations in the dugout, and after relieving former Barnsley boss Heckingbottom of his duties, Radrizzani met with Sporting Director Victor Orta to discuss replacements.

“When I decided to change Paul, I didn’t have any doubt that I wanted to have a manager with charisma and leadership which everybody else in the organisation would follow,”
Andrea Radrizzani

The last few years of Bielsa’s career have been chaotic to say the least. Suspended by Lille after thirteen games following a poor start last season, the Rosario-born coach saw his contract terminated before Christmas. The Lille debacle had followed those infamous two days in charge at the Stadio Olimpico, which had seen Bielsa resign as Lazio manager over the club’s transfer policy. Disagreements with club hierachy have become a running theme in the 60-year old’s career as, after one game of the 2015/16 season, Bielsa stepped down as head coach of Marseille, reputedly due to conflict over player sales. But beyond the eccentricity and unpredictability that has earned the Argentine the nickname ‘El Loco’, there lies one of the great modern football coaches.

Brought up in an affluent family in the port city of Rosario in Argentina, Bielsa learned the value of hard work from an early age. While his father worked as a laywer, and his brother and sister both held roles in the government, it was his mother that provided him with inspiration, thanks to her strong work ethic and disciplinarian nature. He recalls, “For her, no effort was sufficient.” An indistinguished playing career saw Bielsa represent his boyhood club Newell’s Old Boys, though injury curtailed his career at the age of 25. After qualifying as a PE teacher, Bielsa took his first steps into management with the University of Buenos Aires men’s soccer team, before accepting an invite from Newell’s to return to the club as a youth coach and talent scout, where that dedication and obsession for the game first began to shine through. In a bid to ensure La Lepra recruited the brightest young players in Argentina, Bielsa traversed the country in his Fiat 147, clocking up over five thousand miles to uncover the likes of Gabriel Batitstuta and Mauricio Pochettino. A spell as manager followed and, after an appearance in the Copa Libertadores final, he took his hometown club to the Clausara championship playing a revolutionary high-press that opposition players described as ‘suffocating’.

That distinctive playing style and complete belief in the system has defined Bielsa’s career, with his time in Mexico epitomised by his walking out of Club Atlas after the players had complained of burnout after a season of playing high-intensity style of football, before a disagreement with club management over media duties at Club America saw his fiery nature earn him the sack. At Argentina, consistency gave way to absurdity, as La Albiceleste lurched from the sublime to the ridiculous, reaching the Copa America final and winning gold at the 2004 Olympics, while also exiting the 2002 World Cup at the group stage. His short, intense spell at Athletic Bilbao, too, brought success without silverware; defeats in the Europa League and Copa Del Rey finals saw Athletic Club finish the season with six defeats in a row, with players citing exhaustion.

“We were physically finished and lost two cup finals. We used to always play with the same team and finally our legs said ‘stop’.”
Ander Herrera

It was his work with the Chilean national team that earned Bielsa the worldwide acclaim he enjoys today, with the extent of his obsessive nature and his reputation as a stickler for perfection laid bare. Upon taking the job, Bielsa moved into a modest room at the national team’s training ground, all the while taking work as a guest speaker at events across the world in order to fund improvements to his team’s facilities. During his four years in charge, he took La Roja to their first World Cup for twelve years, earning plaudits from his hero Johan Cruyff for playing “the most attractive football” in South Africa. His dedication to developing youth continued too, giving Alexis Sanchez, Arturo Vidal and the rest of the Chilean ‘Golden Generation’ their first caps, and providing the groundwork for successor Jorge Sampaoli to win Chile’s first Copa America in 2015. It’s for these reasons Leeds United supporters were so excited when Bielsa’s appointment was first announced.

Radrizzani had originally wanted to appoint Antonio Conte, but when Orta suggested Bielsa might be the more obtainable option, the Leeds owner sanctioned a meeting. Within minutes the club’s representatives were spellbound as, having asked the Argentinian how much he knew about the Championship, Bielsa produced a dossier on Bolton Wanderers vs Burton Albion from last season. He’d also compiled notes on the formations of all twenty-four teams in the league, highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of each. Proving himself not so much a student of football as teacher’s pet, almost immediately he’d talked himself into the job. By the end of his first press conference, the new manager had won supporters over, declaring “I think I’m at a club that’s bigger than I deserve”. Not to be confused with false modesty, Bielsa’s humility is genuine, in spite of his achievements.

To prepare for this season, the football-addicted manager watched all fifty-one of Leeds’ fixtures from last season, as well as two post-season friendlies. He pored over the blueprints of the training complex and advised on changes – a dormitory and games room for players, and a bed for him, of course. Before the start of the season, the average work day at the training ground was lengthened considerably. Ten hour days became the norm, with double training, video sessions, and one-to-one briefings with each player. Every morning the whole squad would be weighed to check they were on track to meet Bielsa’s meticulous planning. Physical fitness is paramount to The System.

“I have gone down four kilos and lost a lot in body fat, which for him is basically the beginning to start playing”
Pontus Jansson

The Argentinian’s tactical blueprint relies on relentless pressing, constant movement, risk-taking, and extreme width. Full-backs are expected to contribute heavily to attacks, while centre-backs are encouraged to play the ball forwards whenever possible. With increased jeopardy at the back, the value of quick turnovers high up the pitch is drilled into his players.  Usually found switching between a 3-3-1-3 and 4-2-3-1 depending on the opposition’s formation, Bielsa began to mould his squad to play a flexible 4-3-3, able to switch to a 4-5-1 where necessary, a far cry from the rigid formation played under Heckingbottom last season. With transfer funds at a premium, the new manager was forced to rely on his contacts and reputation in the game to bring in Jack Harrison from Manchester City on loan, with Pep Guardiola only to happy to allow the youngster a season of learning under the coach that convinced him to go into management. Chelsea’s Lewis Baker also found the prospect of working under the fabled Bielsa too good an opportunity to turn down, taking a pay-cut to spend a season at Elland Road. What budget there was for recruitment went on Patrick Bamford – a useful striker at Championship level – and Barry Douglas, among the most creative players in the division last season, with fourteen assists for Wolves down the left-hand side. Beyond these few new additions, it was left to Bielsa to sculpt a side that won just four games in the second half of last season into a promotion-chasing team.

His first port of call was to make Kalvin Phillips the fulcrum of his midfield. Brought through the youth-ranks in the anchor role, Bielsa has encouraged the 22 year old to work on the technical side of the game, spraying passes out to the on-rushing full-backs, and slotting into defence as a sweeper when his team-mates bomb forward. Kemar Roofe, August’s Player of the Month, has been charged with defending from the front, playing a more direct role in the centre of an attacking trident and reaping the benefits with four goals from his first six games. Meanwhile Samuel Saiz, who often flattered to deceive in his first season in English football, is emerging as one of the most talented players in the second division. Not only a radical tactician, Bielsa is able to evaluate weakness and improve it. In the opening game of the season it was Saiz that teed up Mateusz Klich for the opening goal, as Leeds went for the throat of pre-season favourites Stoke City in a rousing 3-1 victory, with the new boss perched on his bucket on the sidelines, giving himself the best vantage point possible to scrutinise the action.

“With his help, I learned how to watch video for the details. I became very interested in video and tactics. That was his effect on me. I always tell people: Bielsa woke me up.”
Benjamin Mendy

It hasn’t all been plain sailing for the league leaders in the opening weeks of the season, having to come from behind twice at Swansea to snatch a draw in a performance that fell way below the manager’s expectations. Bielsa’s substitutions in the match – withdrawing Phillips after 28 minutes, Gjanni Alioski at half-time, and Roofe on the hour – typified a coach unafraid to make bold decisions. The post-mortem in South Wales lasted an hour, and the manager didn’t hold back. Four days later, Leeds went to Carrow Road and dismantled Norwich City with breathtaking football, before cleaning the away dressing room at the behest of their manager. The virtue of hard work is being hard-wired into Bielsa’s squad both on and off the pitch, with the players expected to carry out menial tasks at the training ground to encourage empathy with the average supporter. If it weren’t so dazzling to watch, you might confuse the whole operation for a cult.

The statistics, though, speak for themselves. Averaging 2.1 goals per game, Leeds are second top scorers behind West Brom, courtesy of The Baggies 7-1 debagging of Steve McClaren’s QPR. They sit top for possession (56.7%), pass success rate (78.6%), goals from open play (13), and short passes per game (410 – almost a hundred more than they were averaging last season). Despite Bielsa’s cavalier approach to attacking football, they’ve  conceded the sixth fewest shots per game, thanks largely to a defence that sits third for tackles (19). In almost all of those categories Leeds finished bottom half last season. It’s impossible to deny that The System is working.

Naturally, there are concerns. With the joint smallest squad in the league, the Whites are only ever two or three injuries away from a crisis, as witnessed at Swansea, where Bielsa was forced to field a back four containing three full-backs and an eighteen year old midfielder. Still, the madcap master found a way around it. The propensity for Bielsa’s teams to burnout is also a worry – five finals on his CV reaping just one medal points to an overstretching of resources. In his one full season at Marseille, Les Phocéens flew out of the traps, embarking on an eight-game winning streak and heading into the winter break at the top of Ligue 1, before faltering and fading in the second half of the season to finish fourth. Remove the two-week break and add a further eight games and you’ve got a recipe for total exhaustion. Whether the manager has the fortitude for the long slog of a promotion push is also up for debate – this is his first time outside the top flight after all.

Leeds fans, too, will be wary of false dawns. After a tricky start under Gary Monk, they watched their team spend the majority of the 2016/17 season in the playoff positions, before a late collapse saw them finish in seventh. Last year, Thomas Christensen won five and drew two of his first seven games, before a defeat at Millwall sparked the beginning of the end for the Spaniard. By the time he was sacked at the beginning of February, Leeds had fallen from the automatic places into midtable, never to return. This weekend’s visit to The Den was the litmus test for their new manager, particularly with an injury list that featured Roofe, Pablo Hernandez, Gaetano Berardi and Bamford. Though not always convincing, watching their team escape south London with a point for the first time since 2012, courtesy of Jack Harrison’s first goal for the club, will provide more evidence for Leeds fans that this is their year. There’s comfort to be found in the performances of their team as well as results, with four of their fellow promotion hunters already successfully side-stepped. Christensen’s run to the summit was always laden with caveats, whilst his successors’ suggests the best is yet to come.

“My desire, my wish is that I hope he changes the reality of Leeds, brings them to the Premier League and does a fantastic job there.”
Mauricio Pochettino

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #572 på: September 16, 2018, 17:56:06 »
Forts.

There were suggestions pre-season that Bielsa would struggle adjusting to the Championship. In fact it appears the Championship is yet to adjust to Bielsa. Those of a less studious nature may struggle to understand what the fuss is all about, but the esteem with which El Loco is held at many of his former employers should tell the whole story. Newell’s Old Boys, one of the great teams in Argentina in the early 1900s before the rise of River Plate and Boca Juniors, named their stadium after their hometown hero in 2009. Athletic Bilbao, who went head to head with Barcelona and Real Madrid in the early 1980s, revelled in the spotlight during Bielsa’s brief spell in charge. Marseille supporters mourned the loss of a coach that brought back memories of their early 90s dominance. There were tears at the Estadio Nacional Julio Martínez Prádanos, as Chile’s fans laid on a display of appreciation during his last match in charge. Now, at Elland Road, the despair and disconsolance of the last fifteen years has been replaced with promise and pride. Marcelo Bielsa has awoken the sleeping giant of Leeds United; what happens next is anyone’s guess.

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Jon R

« Svar #573 på: September 16, 2018, 18:51:15 »
«From then on things spiralled out of control, as two relegations in three years left the club languishing in League One, with sadistic grandfather figure Ken Bates as owner and Dennis Wise as manager. An upturn in form under Simon Grayson saw Leeds return to the Championship and reach the play-off final in successive seasons, but a 3-0 defeat to Watford at Wembley denied them the opportunity to return to the Premier League.»

Eeeh, javel?  ::)
Jon R.

Xern

« Svar #574 på: September 16, 2018, 23:01:35 »
«From then on things spiralled out of control, as two relegations in three years left the club languishing in League One, with sadistic grandfather figure Ken Bates as owner and Dennis Wise as manager. An upturn in form under Simon Grayson saw Leeds return to the Championship and reach the play-off final in successive seasons, but a 3-0 defeat to Watford at Wembley denied them the opportunity to return to the Premier League.»

Flott oppsummering det, vel?  ;D  ::)
Noen mennesker tror at fotball gjelder liv eller død. Jeg liker ikke den innstillingen. Det er atskillig mer alvorlig enn som så. - Bill Shankly

jaho

« Svar #575 på: September 17, 2018, 10:16:32 »

tja...helt på jordet i forhold til Play-off finalen ihvertfall..det var året FØR vi rykket ned til L1..første sesongen etter L1 opprykket førte Grayson oss til 7.plass.

Jon R

« Svar #576 på: September 17, 2018, 23:48:33 »

tja...helt på jordet i forhold til Play-off finalen ihvertfall..det var året FØR vi rykket ned til L1..første sesongen etter L1 opprykket førte Grayson oss til 7.plass.
Ikke var vi i PL finale to år på rad etter opprykket i 2010 heller. Ble vel 7. og 14. plass eller deromkring...
Jon R.

Hallgeir *

« Svar #577 på: September 18, 2018, 22:59:50 »
Tommel opp for argentineren!

I løpet av noen få måneder har han skapt en vinnerkultur i klubben som vi har savnet i over 15 år.

Måtte det vare........ leeenge. :)
Super Leeds since 1968

baste

« Svar #578 på: September 18, 2018, 23:34:52 »
Tommel opp for argentineren!

I løpet av noen få måneder har han skapt en vinnerkultur i klubben som vi har savnet i over 15 år.

Måtte det vare........ leeenge. :)

+1

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #579 på: September 20, 2018, 14:55:46 »
Marcelo for et kvarter siden ;)

Marcelo Bielsa
@Frases_M_Bielsa
 14m
14 minutes ago

"En lo único que pienso es que tenemos que ganar".
Translated from Spanish by
Microsoft
"All I think about is that we have to win."
Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #580 på: September 20, 2018, 23:21:31 »
 Phil har vært twitteraktig i kveld :)

Sitat
SAMUEL
@Murray__87

Such a huge influence on many, I like many ask why he really has never settled at any club?

Phil Hay
@PhilHayYEP

simple answer is politics. Fell out with Bilbao over their training ground. Fell out with Marseille over contract/players. Issue at Lille with his trip back to South America. And at Lazio, they weren't signing any of the players he asked them to. So he quit.

Sitat
SAMUEL
He must of been happy with the sale of Ronaldo which surprises me.
I wouldn't say happy (his preference was to keep Vieira) but it wasn't a deal-breaker.

personally I think the El Loco nickname is a bit of a misnomer. He's not a loose cannon in the traditional sense. He's just very hard to please and very particular about what he wants and needs.

he did but over time people seem to have taken it to mean that he’s a lunatic/loose cannon. I don’t get that impression at all.

Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #581 på: September 20, 2018, 23:26:10 »
...tenker han på Redfearn & italienerne?

Phil Hay:
losing the dressing room is a real phenomenon. I can think of at least one coach at Leeds who was hung out to dry by members of his squad. But with Bielsa, he's bigger than any individual at the club (including the boardroom). King pin. That makes a difference.
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Jon R

« Svar #582 på: September 20, 2018, 23:42:03 »
...tenker han på Redfearn & italienerne?

Phil Hay:
losing the dressing room is a real phenomenon. I can think of at least one coach at Leeds who was hung out to dry by members of his squad. But with Bielsa, he's bigger than any individual at the club (including the boardroom). King pin. That makes a difference.
Selvfølgelig gjør han det.  :-[
Jon R.

Promotion 2010

« Svar #583 på: September 21, 2018, 16:13:10 »
Explaining Marcelo Bielsa: How the Argentine came to influence football's greatest managers

If you thought Brian Clough’s Leeds spell was fraught, you ain’t seen nothing yet. Bielsa has inspired a generation of top coaches to become winners – and a string of club owners to pull their hair out

Chuck Berry didn’t invent rock and roll music, but he probably came closer than anyone else, along with Elvis Presley and Little Richard, to putting all the necessary components in the right order.

Berry was radical, obsessive and utterly convinced he was always right about everything. He spent much of his teenage years in the early 1950s disassembling and reassembling transistor radios, so he understood the exact mechanics of how they produced sound and could adapt his rock and roll masterpieces accordingly.

It worked. Every time he implored Beethoven to roll over (and tell Tchaikovsky the news), he inspired wide-eyed teens everywhere to pick up their guitar and play. “It wasn’t until I heard Chuck Berry that I realised what you could do,” recalled The Who’s Pete Townshend.

“I lifted every lick he ever played,” said Rolling Stone Keith Richards. “Even if you’re a rock guitarist who wouldn’t name him as your main influence, your main influence is probably still influenced by Chuck.”

This summer, Berry’s football equivalent, whose coaching playbook is no less exhaustive or far-reaching, achieved a lifetime ambition of managing in England. Marcelo Bielsa became Leeds manager.

Almost every major league is permeated by his coaching acolytes, many of them former players such as Mauricio Pochettino or Diego Simeone, who’ve lived and breathed the unconventional methods of El Loco – The Madman. Pep Guardiola may not have played under the Argentine coach, but the Manchester City boss has long since viewed Bielsa with the sort of reverence that The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles and more reserved for Berry.

The 63-year-old is the best-paid coach outside the top flight, his idiosyncratic, almost autocratic mannerisms bringing stardust to the Championship. There will be fireworks, homework, the potential amputation of fingers, and team talks from a coach who relaxes by going for 2am runs while listening to tapes about tactics.

Life is seldom dull when Marcelo Bielsa is around.

“He wanted to help this group of street kids become heroes”

Johnny B Goode is the semi-autobiographical story of a humble guitar-playing country boy, whose mother convinces her son that “someday your name will be in lights”.

While you could never describe Bielsa’s upbringing in a Rosario townhouse as humble – the family is one of Argentina’s great legal dynasties; Marcelo’s grandfather, father, brother and sister are all either lawyers or politicians – his mother Lidia did indeed instil her youngest son with the intrinsic belief that he would dominate his chosen discipline. From an early age, football became that calling.

“She was fundamental in my life,” Bielsa has said of his mother. “For her, no [amount of] effort was sufficient.” Lidia would be dispatched to the local newsagents most days to pick up the daily newspapers and Argentina’s weekly sporting bible El Grafico, which her son would study religiously.

Bielsa learned from his grandfather Rafael – a lawyer responsible for creating much of the country’s legislature – that knowledge was power; knowledge gleaned from his collection of more than 30,000 books at the family home. Even now, Bielsa subscribes to more than 40 different sports magazines the world over, FourFourTwo included.

Ever the contrarian, Bielsa supported Newell’s Old Boys because his father was a fan of bitter city rivals Rosario Central. Picked up by Newell’s in his teens, he was good on the ball, but slow and poor in the air. He realised after three first-team appearances that his talent lay more in an innate appreciation of how and why things happen on a pitch than what he could actually do with a ball himself. So at 25, he quit, enrolled to become a PE teacher and two years later, in 1982, took a job managing the University of Buenos Aires’ football team.

Bielsa was only three years older than most of his players, but his work ethic and obsessive professionalism won the squad over. He watched more than 3,000 players before deciding on his 20-man squad, then drilled them relentlessly. When UBA drew with Boca Juniors’ reserves in a friendly, Newell’s hired him as a youth coach.

Convinced that Argentina’s agrarian interior housed untapped talent, Bielsa and his assistant Jorge Griffa divided the country into 70 different regions and drove his battered Fiat 147 to every one.

Bielsa and Griffa turned up at a sleeping Mauricio Pochettino’s house at 2am, commenting how the 13-year-old future Spurs boss had “the legs of a footballer”. But Pochettino is just one of dozens of players they scouted. Gabriel Batistuta – the son of a slaughterhouse worker in small-town Avellanada – was another in 1987.

“When I arrived, I was fat – it’s that simple,” explained Batistuta. “I liked alfajores [a traditional biscuit]. The first thing Bielsa did was get rid of them and teach me to train in the rain. I hated him for it.

“We were a group of dreamers and the first dreamer was Bielsa. He dreamed about being Arrigo Sacchi, who he watched constantly winning European Cups. He wanted that to be us. A group of street kids to become heroes.”

Pochettino and midfielder Eduardo Berizzo followed Batistuta into the first team, Bielsa’s personally-scouted stream of young, hungry players with fire in their bellies turning Newell’s Old Boys into one of Argentina’s most promising sides. His El Loco epithet – earned after telling defender Fernando Gamboa that he’d cut off his own finger if it guaranteed victory – was long since earned.

In 1989, Bielsa was promoted to reserve team manager, and his methods were being noticed further up the club. “We shared the dressing room with the reserves,” said attacking midfielder Gerardo Martino. “You’d come in for training and there would be so many arrows on the whiteboard that you could barely make out where one ended and another began. You thought the Indians were coming! Within a year, that guy was our coach.”

“If my players weren’t human, I’d never lose”

Martino was vital to Bielsa’s acceptance in the first team in 1990. The side’s most talented and creative player, the indolent playmaker hated grafting – a trait Bielsa despised in a player.

“We had a chat before he started,” revealed Martino, “and he told me there was only one chance to play in his team: you had to run. He convinced everyone that his was the way. Every training session with him was different, he never repeated a single one. I would come back from international duty and go straight to one of Marcelo’s sessions because they were that good.”

Defend, attack and transition between the two at frightening speed: that was the mantra. Deny the opposition space anywhere, win the ball as high as possible and be dynamic to create chances.

Repeating those turnovers became second nature, even though they required independent thought – a curious contradiction Bielsa came to call repentizacion; essentially sight-reading for football. Even though each attacking situation was different, the squad worked so constantly on those transitions that the concept became ingrained, like playing a piece of music without practising it beforehand.

So determined was Bielsa to implement that strategy, he instructed keeper Norberto Scoponi to intentionally hit goal-kicks out of play for a throw-in, reasoning that the midfield could win the ball back quickly and create an artificial turnover. Newell’s became a pressing machine.

Inside a year, Bielsa’s side had won the 1990 Apertura; with the Argentine league season split into two parts followed by a play-off between the two champions, La Lepra (the Lepers) then triumphed in the championship decider on penalties against Boca Juniors.

“Newell’s, carajo!” became the club’s war cry – “Newell’s, you c***s!” Shouldered aloft by his charges at a baying Bombonera, Bielsa was taking on all-comers. El Loco had become the architect of chaos.

For six months, the club’s form dipped alarmingly: players were unable to live up to Bielsa’s physical and mental demands.

“They were very passionate team talks,” recalled midfielder Alfredo Berti, his manager’s on-field lieutenant to whom Bielsa addressed tactical instruction. “If you loved football, you got so much out of them. Every comment was discussed and Marcelo had the patience to explain it.”

For the first time, the workaholic Bielsa delegated. He began to set the squad’s younger players homework. They were to buy El Grafico, Solo Futbol and Clarin, and research how upcoming opposition played: usual formations, their last eight games, which substitutes they used, set-piece takers and threats. Their findings would then be presented to the squad and a training session built around them.

“It helped you find answers on the pitch,” Pochettino later recalled. “All that homework – I wish all my friends could have experienced at least one per cent of what I did.”

Out of the rut, Newell’s went on to secure the 1992 Clausura and reached the 1992 Copa Libertadores Final, losing on penalties to Sao Paulo with Cafu scoring the Brazilians’ decisive penalty.

Yet Bielsa could take no more. Like his future disciple Guardiola two decades later, the pressure of managing his boyhood club proved too much and he resigned as Newell’s boss, never to return. “If players weren’t human,” he said, “I’d never lose.”

“Don’t shoot! I’m Marcelo Bielsa!”

Bielsa taking a break could never be as easy as spending time with his wife Laura and two daughters. Over the following six years he became something of a coaching nomad, managing both Atlas and America in Mexico, before returning to Argentina with Velez Sarsfield – lifting the 1998 Clausura – and finally spending a nine-game spell with La Liga side Espanyol. Further idiosyncrasies followed.

Owned by a cabal of television executives, America insisted on Bielsa speaking only to their outlets. He so hated the imposition that by the time he became Argentina coach in the autumn of 1998, he refused to give any one-on-one interviews whatsoever.

“Why am I going to give an interview to a powerful guy, if that’s going to deny someone from the provinces?” he reasoned. “What’s your criteria to do that? My own interests? That’s just opportunism.”

Bielsa would talk to Argentina’s media only at press conferences, a method since repeated by Guardiola, but the deal-sweetener was that journalists could ask him anything and he would answer in detail. One press conference went on so long – more than four hours – that many members of the country’s fourth estate had to leave early or risk missing deadline for their evening editions.

Never one to do anything by halves, Bielsa finds it impossible to switch off. A frequent de-stress technique is to go for a run. At 2am. While listening to his favourite coaching mix tape detailing the 22 formations he believes are possible on a football pitch.

So engrossed was Bielsa while running through the grounds of Argentina’s Ezeiza training complex in early 1999, he couldn’t hear local police shouting at him. Finally noticing a dozen guns pointed at him, he hid behind a tree, pleading: “Don’t shoot! I’m Bielsa!”

NEXT: An inspiration to Simeone, Pochettino and Guardiola

4-4-2
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #584 på: September 22, 2018, 14:49:17 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #585 på: September 23, 2018, 16:04:58 »
The Mail

Watching Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds was better than the Champions League

By Oliver Holt for the Mail on Sunday 21:33 22 Sep 2018, updated 07:04 23 Sep 2018
Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds have made a superb start, topping the Championship
Bielsa has long been a cult hero of management and is now in English football
Leeds won in midweek with football that would have suited Champions League
Bielsa's teams often burn bright before fading - we should enjoy it while it lasts
Marcelo Bielsa's post-match press conference in Howard's bar at Elland Road was coming to a close on Tuesday night when a French broadcast journalist decided to try his luck. He asked the Leeds United manager if he might take him aside when the questions were over and interview him for his radio show.

Bielsa did not look up. He had barely looked up once during the previous 10 minutes. He clasped his hands together and then unclasped them. He spoke in Spanish, each short sentence translated immediately by the man at his side.

'For the last 20 years,' he said, by way of polite refusal, 'I have only communicated with the public through press conferences. But thank you for the invitation.'

Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds have made a superb start to the season, topping the Championship
If the response sounded rather regal, that was OK. Those of us who had been lucky enough to watch Bielsa's team demolish Preston North End earlier in the evening already knew we were in the presence of royalty.

Bielsa has been a cult hero for a long time, revered even by men like Pep Guardiola and Mauricio Pochettino. To watch Leeds on Tuesday was to get a glorious glimpse of why.

Yes, there were exciting things going on elsewhere. Liverpool were locked in a thrilling five-goal battle with Paris Saint-Germain that went down to the wire and Spurs were blowing a 1-0 lead against Inter Milan at the San Siro, but I promise you that being inside Elland Road felt like more than a match for all that Champions League glamour. It felt like being let in on a secret.

Bielsa has long been a cult hero of management, and it was a surprise to see him in England
It felt as if there was nowhere you would rather be. And it felt as if people have not yet quite cottoned on to what is happening at one of English football's great old institutions.

Leeds were fluid and they were intense. They pressed hard without the ball and played fearlessly with it. At a club that has been an ill-used plaything of either unscrupulous or hapless owners for far too much of its recent history, Bielsa has finally brought some of the magic back.

However badly we want the Bielsa experiment to succeed, there are always going to be setbacks, too, and the intoxication of an unbeaten start was given a reality check on Saturday when Leeds slipped to their first league defeat of the season with a home reverse to lowly Birmingham City.

It will take more than one defeat to prick the optimism, though. Leeds are still top of the table, after all. Bielsa's reign here is in its infancy but it already feels as if Leeds are the damned United no more.

Leeds lost to Birmingham on Saturday, but that should not prick the optimism in Yorkshire
For now at least, they have been blessed. Outside Graveley's fish and chip shop, opposite the ground, a cluster of Leeds season ticket holders talked before the Preston game about how Bielsa had turned footballers they had viewed as little more than journeymen into players they scarcely recognised. The team had been hit by injuries to big names like Pablo Hernandez, Patrick Bamford and Kemar Roofe but the side hardly missed a beat.

To anyone like me who had not seen them under Bielsa before, Leeds were a revelation. They played the best football I've seen any team play this season. Yes, of course, they're playing at a lower level than the best teams in the Premier League and they were playing against a Preston side without a win in seven games but Bielsa's creation was still a sight to behold.

Leeds had quality and ball- playing confidence throughout the team. Samuel Saiz, their brilliant play-maker, was probably the pick of the bunch but the way that he and Mateusz Klich and Ezgjan Alioski made space for each other and picked out each other's runs and pinged short, clever passes to each other was a joy to watch. Jack Harrison, only in the team because of injuries, was superb out wide, too. At the back, Pontus Jansson, was the personification of calm and class.

Bielsa's devotees are still pinching themselves that he is in English football at all. He has been described as the most influential football coach since Johan Cruyff, a man who has inspired a generation of his former players, including Pochettino, former Barcelona coach Gerardo Martino and Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone, to follow him into management.

Leeds beat Preston in midweek playing football that would have suited the Champions League
The Argentine, 63, is revered for his eccentricity (he gained the nickname El Loco because he is an obsessive-compulsive whose attention to detail is so fanatical it makes people smile), and in his early days at Leeds, he made the players pick up litter at the training ground for three hours to give them an appreciation of how hard fans had to work to pay for a ticket. His preferred method of watching games at Elland Road is to sit on an upturned blue bucket placed next to the dugout.

But his eccentricity is a mask for a man who is regarded as the pioneer of much of the attacking football in vogue across the top European leagues. Bielsa is renowned for his attention to detail and for the style of football he teaches. From his first big job in charge of the Argentinian side Newell's Old Boys to spells at the helm of Argentina and Chile and stints with Athletic Bilbao and Marseille, his legend has grown.

He lasted just two days in charge of Lazio in 2016 and when he signed for Leeds in the summer, there were many who predicted a fiery and early end. It is still worth sounding a note of caution because Bielsa's teams often start fast and then wane under the pressure of the physical and mental demands his style places upon them. Some will interpret the loss to Birmingham as the first sign of that pressure telling.

Outside Graveley's, they still sell scarves that say 'Dirty Leeds' as an affectionate nod to the club's reputation in its 1970s halcyon days but Don Revie's Leeds were always about far more than steel and thunder.

There is hope that Leeds, after years of mismanagement, may finally be returning to the top
They were tough but the famous sequence of passes in that classic 7-0 dismissal of Southampton in the 1971-72 season showed they could play a bit, too.

That is one of the reasons why what is happening at Elland Road under Bielsa is capturing the imagination so easily. This Leeds team are not trying to hack and lump their way out of the Championship. They trying to pass and move and press their way back to the Premier League, which they have not graced for 14 years.

In Howard's, I asked him whether he had been worried that his style of play might have been overwhelmed by the physicality of the Championship.

'Among the championships around the world you observe, at least in the big countries regarding football, different styles, he said.

'All the styles are legitimate. To struggle to implement our style is always a challenge, it doesn't mean that the style is better than another one. To play well, no matter the kind of style you choose, is hard, so I would say the Championship has many different styles.'

Bielsa may blaze a trail across our game and then be gone as soon as he arrived but if you get a chance to see his Leeds team play, take it. He is a cult hero for a reason. We should celebrate him and his football while we can.

Min første Leeds-kamp:

berlin

« Svar #586 på: September 23, 2018, 20:21:35 »
The Mail

Watching Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds was better than the Champions League

By Oliver Holt for the Mail on Sunday 21:33 22 Sep 2018, updated 07:04 23 Sep 2018
Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds have made a superb start, topping the Championship
Bielsa has long been a cult hero of management and is now in English football
Leeds won in midweek with football that would have suited Champions League
Bielsa's teams often burn bright before fading - we should enjoy it while it lasts
Marcelo Bielsa's post-match press conference in Howard's bar at Elland Road was coming to a close on Tuesday night when a French broadcast journalist decided to try his luck. He asked the Leeds United manager if he might take him aside when the questions were over and interview him for his radio show.

Bielsa did not look up. He had barely looked up once during the previous 10 minutes. He clasped his hands together and then unclasped them. He spoke in Spanish, each short sentence translated immediately by the man at his side.

'For the last 20 years,' he said, by way of polite refusal, 'I have only communicated with the public through press conferences. But thank you for the invitation.'

Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds have made a superb start to the season, topping the Championship
If the response sounded rather regal, that was OK. Those of us who had been lucky enough to watch Bielsa's team demolish Preston North End earlier in the evening already knew we were in the presence of royalty.

Bielsa has been a cult hero for a long time, revered even by men like Pep Guardiola and Mauricio Pochettino. To watch Leeds on Tuesday was to get a glorious glimpse of why.

Yes, there were exciting things going on elsewhere. Liverpool were locked in a thrilling five-goal battle with Paris Saint-Germain that went down to the wire and Spurs were blowing a 1-0 lead against Inter Milan at the San Siro, but I promise you that being inside Elland Road felt like more than a match for all that Champions League glamour. It felt like being let in on a secret.

Bielsa has long been a cult hero of management, and it was a surprise to see him in England
It felt as if there was nowhere you would rather be. And it felt as if people have not yet quite cottoned on to what is happening at one of English football's great old institutions.

Leeds were fluid and they were intense. They pressed hard without the ball and played fearlessly with it. At a club that has been an ill-used plaything of either unscrupulous or hapless owners for far too much of its recent history, Bielsa has finally brought some of the magic back.

However badly we want the Bielsa experiment to succeed, there are always going to be setbacks, too, and the intoxication of an unbeaten start was given a reality check on Saturday when Leeds slipped to their first league defeat of the season with a home reverse to lowly Birmingham City.

It will take more than one defeat to prick the optimism, though. Leeds are still top of the table, after all. Bielsa's reign here is in its infancy but it already feels as if Leeds are the damned United no more.

Leeds lost to Birmingham on Saturday, but that should not prick the optimism in Yorkshire
For now at least, they have been blessed. Outside Graveley's fish and chip shop, opposite the ground, a cluster of Leeds season ticket holders talked before the Preston game about how Bielsa had turned footballers they had viewed as little more than journeymen into players they scarcely recognised. The team had been hit by injuries to big names like Pablo Hernandez, Patrick Bamford and Kemar Roofe but the side hardly missed a beat.

To anyone like me who had not seen them under Bielsa before, Leeds were a revelation. They played the best football I've seen any team play this season. Yes, of course, they're playing at a lower level than the best teams in the Premier League and they were playing against a Preston side without a win in seven games but Bielsa's creation was still a sight to behold.

Leeds had quality and ball- playing confidence throughout the team. Samuel Saiz, their brilliant play-maker, was probably the pick of the bunch but the way that he and Mateusz Klich and Ezgjan Alioski made space for each other and picked out each other's runs and pinged short, clever passes to each other was a joy to watch. Jack Harrison, only in the team because of injuries, was superb out wide, too. At the back, Pontus Jansson, was the personification of calm and class.

Bielsa's devotees are still pinching themselves that he is in English football at all. He has been described as the most influential football coach since Johan Cruyff, a man who has inspired a generation of his former players, including Pochettino, former Barcelona coach Gerardo Martino and Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone, to follow him into management.

Leeds beat Preston in midweek playing football that would have suited the Champions League
The Argentine, 63, is revered for his eccentricity (he gained the nickname El Loco because he is an obsessive-compulsive whose attention to detail is so fanatical it makes people smile), and in his early days at Leeds, he made the players pick up litter at the training ground for three hours to give them an appreciation of how hard fans had to work to pay for a ticket. His preferred method of watching games at Elland Road is to sit on an upturned blue bucket placed next to the dugout.

But his eccentricity is a mask for a man who is regarded as the pioneer of much of the attacking football in vogue across the top European leagues. Bielsa is renowned for his attention to detail and for the style of football he teaches. From his first big job in charge of the Argentinian side Newell's Old Boys to spells at the helm of Argentina and Chile and stints with Athletic Bilbao and Marseille, his legend has grown.

He lasted just two days in charge of Lazio in 2016 and when he signed for Leeds in the summer, there were many who predicted a fiery and early end. It is still worth sounding a note of caution because Bielsa's teams often start fast and then wane under the pressure of the physical and mental demands his style places upon them. Some will interpret the loss to Birmingham as the first sign of that pressure telling.

Outside Graveley's, they still sell scarves that say 'Dirty Leeds' as an affectionate nod to the club's reputation in its 1970s halcyon days but Don Revie's Leeds were always about far more than steel and thunder.

There is hope that Leeds, after years of mismanagement, may finally be returning to the top
They were tough but the famous sequence of passes in that classic 7-0 dismissal of Southampton in the 1971-72 season showed they could play a bit, too.

That is one of the reasons why what is happening at Elland Road under Bielsa is capturing the imagination so easily. This Leeds team are not trying to hack and lump their way out of the Championship. They trying to pass and move and press their way back to the Premier League, which they have not graced for 14 years.

In Howard's, I asked him whether he had been worried that his style of play might have been overwhelmed by the physicality of the Championship.

'Among the championships around the world you observe, at least in the big countries regarding football, different styles, he said.

'All the styles are legitimate. To struggle to implement our style is always a challenge, it doesn't mean that the style is better than another one. To play well, no matter the kind of style you choose, is hard, so I would say the Championship has many different styles.'

Bielsa may blaze a trail across our game and then be gone as soon as he arrived but if you get a chance to see his Leeds team play, take it. He is a cult hero for a reason. We should celebrate him and his football while we can.

Nice  :)

Bellini

« Svar #587 på: September 24, 2018, 11:40:08 »
Synes Bielsa roterer lite og da er det litt tydelig av enkelte ikke tåler den store belastningen her, sånn som f.eks Kalvin som enten er genial og spiller som en konge eller så er han ræva og må tas av etter 30 min!!! mulig at dette går på taktiske disposisjoner som Bielsa uttaler men jeg synes mer det ser ut som om han er sliten og/eller ikke har dagen og trenger en kamps hvile innimellom.

Akkurat nå så lider vi helt tydelig av at vi ikke har et tydelig valg på angreps plass, vedder på at vi hadde vunnet med Roofe eller Bamford på topp i helga. Roberts er helt ok men synes han enda er langt fra å være spiss på et lag som jager opprykk. Håper virkelig at Roofe snart er tilbake. Samt veldig spent på hva Izzy Brown kan bidra med!!

Promotion 2010

« Svar #588 på: September 27, 2018, 15:48:21 »
Klich:

Mateusz Klich opens up over 'military' life at Leeds United under Marcelo Bielsa

Joe Urquhart
Published: 13:42 Thursday 27 September 2018
Leeds United midfielder Mateusz Klich says life at Thorp Arch is like "being in the military" under Marcelo Bielsa and has opened up over the Argentine's training methods.

Klich has been one of the major surprises of the campaign for Leeds having spent the second half of last season away from the club on loan at Eredivisie side FC Utrecht.

Leeds United midfielder Mateusz Klich.
The midfielder has started the Championship in red-hot form notching three goals and two assists in the opening nine games with his performances resulting in a first international call-up with Poland for the first time in four years.

The 28-year-old though has now opened up over life under El Loco in West Yorkshire after reviving his Whites career in fine style.

“It was a shock, very different," Klich told The Telegraph of Bielsa's training.

"We don’t play games, it is tactics, tactics, tactics and fitness. Pre-season was so hard, so much running, so much work in the gym and then tactical shape every afternoon.

“We were exhausted. I was so tired. Yeah, some of the lads, they grumbled, it happens, but we respected him and we quickly understood what he was trying to do.

Leeds United coach Marcelo Bielsa discusses Thorp Arch changes

“Maybe we were worried it would not work in English football, in the Championship especially, because you play, on average, every three days, but I think it can work anywhere.

“It’s a really nice way of playing, the fans love it because we are always on the front foot. We defend high and we worry about what is happening in front of us.

“We have managed to impose our game on the opposition so far. We like to go forward, to create danger in the opposition half. It really suits me.

“I don’t think we knew how good we could be. That changed against Stoke on the opening day. They had just come down from the Premier League and we played so well to beat them."

The Pole also compared the Bielsa regime at Thorp Arch to that of "being in the military" and conceded that United's players have no time to take their foot off the gas under the Argentine.

“He is very strict, it is like being in the military,” Klich added. “We go to the gym every day, before training, then we go out on the pitch. Every single meal, whether it is breakfast, lunch or dinner, is together as a team.

Quiz: Can you identify the Leeds United player from their FIFA 19 avatar?

“There is no time to relax. It is harder than I have ever worked, but we enjoy it, honestly. All the players believe he can make us better, that we need to listen.

“Can we do it for the whole season? Hopefully, but there are 46 games in the Championship and it is one of the toughest, most competitive leagues in Europe. We know it will be hard, but it’s a really nice style of football to play and we as long we maintain the same intensity we have showed so far, I think we can get promoted. Leeds are a club that should definitely be in the Premier League.”

Klich also discussed the high press system that United have put in play this season believing the style of Bielsa's team is all about building trust with your team-mates.

“The system is about trust, you have to be able to know that the man alongside you, or behind you, is going to come with you," he continued. "There is no point pressing as one man, you have to do it as a team and you have to do it instinctively.

“When I go forward, I don’t even check who is with me, I don’t look behind, I know that the rest of the team have got my back. If you hesitate or are unsure, it doesn’t work. Everything is built on that bond, knowing you are part of a pack, trusting the man next to you.”

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #589 på: September 27, 2018, 15:56:20 »
Klich:

Mateusz Klich opens up over 'military' life at Leeds United under Marcelo Bielsa

Hadde tenkt å sette dette intervjuet i Bielsa-tråden jeg også. Jeg syns Mateusz får frem mange 'nye innblikk' i life under Marcelo:

Om treningene:

"We don’t play games, it is tactics, tactics, tactics and fitness. Pre-season was so hard, so much running, so much work in the gym and then tactical shape every afternoon.

De var usikker før de første kampene, akkurat som supporterne:

“Maybe we were worried it would not work in English football, in the Championship especially, because you play, on average, every three days,
but I think it can work anywhere.

Ã…pnings-seieren mot Stoke åpnet øynene til spillerne, faktisk:

“I don’t think we knew how good we could be. That changed against Stoke on the opening day. They had just come down from the Premier League and we played so well to beat them."

Militærliv!

“He is very strict, it is like being in the military,” Klich added. “We go to the gym every day, before training, then we go out on the pitch. Every single meal, whether it is breakfast, lunch or dinner, is together as a team.

Også de er urolig mht om de holder hele sesongen:

“Can we do it for the whole season? Hopefully, but there are 46 games in the Championship and it is one of the toughest, most competitive leagues in Europe.

Man må stole på hverandre!
Klich also discussed the high press system that United have put in play this season believing the style of Bielsa's team is all about building trust with your team-mates.

“The system is about trust, you have to be able to know that the man alongside you, or behind you, is going to come with you," he continued. "There is no point pressing as one man, you have to do it as a team and you have to do it instinctively.

“When I go forward, I don’t even check who is with me, I don’t look behind, I know that the rest of the team have got my back. If you hesitate or are unsure, it doesn’t work. Everything is built on that bond, knowing you are part of a pack, trusting the man next to you.”

Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

HåvardK

« Svar #590 på: September 27, 2018, 16:52:39 »
Deilig lesing!

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #591 på: September 27, 2018, 19:21:45 »
Hehe, er ditt inntrykk av Bielsa en mann som kjører
* Militær disiplin (tenk mannen slik han fremstår på pressekonferanser)
* HATER å tape (spillerne merker det hele uken etter et tap, dette skal IKKEGJENTASEG)
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #592 på: September 27, 2018, 19:34:15 »
Litt av problemet mot Birmingham:

“Each player was frustrated,” he said. “Nobody thought we would lose and this was the problem. But it’s good that each player thinks it’s not good when we lose. We know what was wrong.

The winger revealed how Bielsa’s “hatred” of losing led to a hard week of training at Thorp Arch following Leeds’ first defeat of the Championship season last Saturday.

“It’s better not to lose when you have Marcelo as a coach,” he said. “He hates this. You see him and how he is.

Read more at: https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/ezgjan-alioski-reveals-what-marcelo-bielsa-hates-most-and-believes-leeds-united-will-bounce-back-after-defeat-1-9370310
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Promotion 2010

« Svar #593 på: September 27, 2018, 20:36:57 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #594 på: September 27, 2018, 21:09:11 »
[img]
Hva prøver egentlig portrettøren å få frem her, at Billy overvåker det hele, motsatt, at de nye ikke må rote med Billys arv, eller hva??? #usikker   :o
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Hallgeir *

« Svar #595 på: September 27, 2018, 21:43:53 »
[img]
Hva prøver egentlig portrettøren å få frem her, at Billy overvåker det hele, motsatt, at de nye ikke må rote med Billys arv, eller hva??? #usikker   :o

De intervjuer verdens beste trener!  8)

Og storhetstiden som vi hadde med Billy, kommer tilbake med Bielsa.
« Siste redigering: September 27, 2018, 21:52:16 av Hallgeir * »
Super Leeds since 1968

ibster

« Svar #596 på: September 28, 2018, 13:53:47 »
Det viktigste som skjer det neste kalenderåret er at vi beholder Bielsa gjennom hele denne, og inn i neste sesong.

Jon R

« Svar #597 på: September 30, 2018, 03:04:51 »

Kunne de ikke funnet noen som faktisk KAN tegne?  ???
Jon R.

Jon R

« Svar #598 på: September 30, 2018, 03:05:51 »
Det viktigste som skjer det neste kalenderåret er at vi beholder Bielsa gjennom hele denne, og inn i neste sesong.
+ 1.
Jon R.

dansale

Forza Leeds!