Skrevet av Emne: Staunton blir!  (Lest 2528 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Promotion 2010

Staunton blir!
« på: Mai 27, 2008, 20:24:36 »
Jeg var litt usikker på det, men....ser ut til at han har en fremtid påp ER!  :)

Staunton: We'll be the team to beat next season

Steve Staunton.

Published Date: 27 May 2008
By Phil Hay
Steve Staunton looked at Leeds United last summer and saw a club "staring relegation in the face", but his vision this year is of a group of players who will have the whip-hand over League One next season.
The Irishman offered sincere thanks to United's squad following their defeat to Doncaster in Sunday's play-off final at Wembley, describing them as "absolutely superb, to a man", and his anticipation for the 2008-09 campaign is already growing after four months of involvement at Elland Road.

Staunton arrived at Leeds in February to become Gary McAllister's assistant manager, and the two men, along with first-team coach Neil McDonald, were responsible for masterminding the sequence of form towards the end of the campaign which took the club to within one game of promotion.

McAllister inherited a team who had been handicapped by the biggest points deduction ever imposed on a single club by the Football League, and although he rarely discussed the penalty, the effect of those lost points was more tangible than ever after Sunday's defeat at Wembley.

United will have the comparative luxury of starting next season with zero points, and though a second year in League One – a level at which Leeds had never played before last summer – is a depressing prospect for a club whose promotion appeared at times to be fated, Staunton is confident that United can control the division next year.

Staunton said: "It's been an excellent season, and it's a testament to the players that they went as close as they did.

"We've come up short, but the players have been absolutely superb, to a man. I'm disappointed obviously, but it's them I feel gutted for because they've given everything to this season and they've missed out by a tiny margin. Maybe this was one game too far for us.

"But when I think back to the start of the season, Leeds were looking relegation in the face. That's how I saw it. The (15-point) penalty was so big that you didn't think there was any way they could do anything more than try to stay in the division. They've gone way beyond that, and we'll get better next season.

"To be at Wembley at all is a major, major achievement and I hope the players and the fans see it like that. Football's about making progress and if you look back 12 months you can see that this club has come from a difficult position to being healthy again."

McAllister indicated on Sunday that "the core" of United's squad would be retained this summer as he prepares for his first full season as Leeds manager, and he will be anxious to defend his key players from outside offers.

United are in discussions aimed at tying Jonathan Howson to a new contract, and they will also hope to retain striker Jermaine Beckford, despite his 20-goal haul this season.

Beckford, who signed a long-term deal with Leeds last year, was strongly linked with Derby County during the January transfer window and is one of United's most valuable assets.
Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

LeifMorten

Sv: Staunton blir!
« Svar #1 på: Mai 27, 2008, 20:31:20 »
God nyhet. Håper vi får en stabil lederduo.

Dennis

« Svar #2 på: Mai 27, 2008, 20:38:44 »
Staunton skal ha stor ære for at forsvaret tross alt har vært langt bedre og mer tett enn da duoen tok over i vinter.

Det er også viktig at man bygger videre på det man har begynt med og beholder flesteparten - også i trenerteamet!

Gode nyheter!
Marching on together!

Hallgeir *

« Svar #3 på: Mai 27, 2008, 23:06:09 »
   Det vi virkelig bebøver nå, er stabilitet på trener - og managersiden. Leeds har (blant annet) slitt utrolig med dette etter O'Leary-tida. Derfor synes jeg det er bra at Staunton blir. Kan det være noen tvil om at mannen har gjort en anstendig jobb da?
Super Leeds since 1968

Budda

« Svar #4 på: Mai 28, 2008, 09:57:37 »
Dette er bra. Trur både Staunton og McAllister kommer til å vokse i rollen neste sesong. Som Hallghel sa, det er viktig med stabilitet nå
Endre

McQueen

« Svar #5 på: Mai 28, 2008, 10:48:57 »
Stabilitet er bra, så dette er gode nyheter!
McQueen

Roy

« Svar #6 på: Mai 28, 2008, 12:53:23 »
Dette var bra. Faktisk tror jeg det er utrolig bra for Leeds at han blir værende. Nå er det bare å fortsette det arbeidet han har startet så er jeg sikker på at vi ser resultater allerede i innledningen på neste sesong.
Stand up and sing for LEEDS UNITED

Per-Stian

« Svar #7 på: Mai 28, 2008, 16:58:00 »
Sumarens første godnyheit :)

Sheridan

« Svar #8 på: Mai 28, 2008, 17:28:04 »
Aner ikke hva han står for.
Men vil Macca ha han med videre er det vel greit nok.

stian

« Svar #9 på: Mai 29, 2008, 09:15:55 »
   Det vi virkelig bebøver nå, er stabilitet på trener - og managersiden. Leeds har (blant annet) slitt utrolig med dette etter O'Leary-tida. Derfor synes jeg det er bra at Staunton blir. Kan det være noen tvil om at mannen har gjort en anstendig jobb da?

Kloke ord, Hallghel. Hvis det er en ting som har preget oss de siste årene, så er det en total mangel på stabilitet. Vi trenger faste rammer og stabilitet både på trener- og spillersiden. Hvis vi i tillegg sper på med noen få kvalitetssigninger så tror jeg vi blir uslåelige i neste års L1.

baste

« Svar #10 på: Mai 29, 2008, 15:40:33 »
Ser fram til flere gode nyheter i tiden som kommer. Helt klart positivt at trenerteamet blir med videre. Nå ønsker jeg flere forsterkninger....

MOT

Snow

• Gjest
« Svar #11 på: Mai 29, 2008, 17:42:13 »
" Staunton blir! "

Jess

Promotion 2010

« Svar #12 på: ſeptember 18, 2008, 22:10:35 »
Staunton har gjort ferdig første delmål av trenerutdannelsen og vil fortsatt bli i Leeds!

"The former Republic of Ireland manager gained his A coaching licence last week and is now targeting his pro licence, though he has no immediate ambitions to step up from his current role as assistant.

He said: “I had a wonderful experience with Ireland and I have a great opportunity here with Gary (McAllister), looking at how a big club should be run without the pressure of being a manager. It is a great learning curve for me.”

Staunton has particularly painful memories of his last trip to Cumbria where he suffered a recurrence of calf trouble as he leapt in the air to celebrate Jonny Howson’s second goal, which sealed United’s appearance at Wembley for the play-off final.

He recalled: “I had torn my calf muscle playing for Aston Villa Old Boys and when Jonny scored his second goal at Carlisle I jumped up and certainly knew about it."

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/football/footballleeds/3685295.Staunton_thriving_on__nice__pressure/

:) Good boy!  ;D
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

Min første Leeds-kamp: