Skrevet av Emne: TOMA 1: Rykter og spekulasjoner om Takeover  (Lest 1372326 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Leedsfan

Sv: Rykter og spekulasjoner om Takeover
« Svar #3390 på: Oktober 08, 2012, 20:56:34 »
@haighdavid

"Loving the rain... Time to move back home... Soon."

:D

Det er spådd regn i Leeds på torsdag, da blir det takeover-thursday som gjelder!

;D  ;D  ;D

Alright girl we are back again Hi! Hi! We're your weather girls and have we got news for you Tell them girl Get ready all you'll lonely girls And leave those umbrellas at home
Humidity's rising, barometer's gettin' low According to all sources the street's the place to go Tonight for the first time just about half past ten For the first time in history it's gonna start raining men
It's raining men, Hallelujah, it's raining men Amen I'm gonna go out, I'm gonna let myself get absolutely soaking wet It's raining men, Hallelujah it's raining men, every specimen Tall blond dark and lean rough and tough and strong and mean
God bless mother nature She's a single woman too She took for the Heaven And she did what she had to do She taught every angel to rearrange the sky And each and every woman could find her perfect guy
It's raining men, Hallelujah, it's raining men, Amen It's raining men, Hallelujah, it's raining men, Amen It's raining, it's raining, oh it's stormy
I feel stormy weather moving in About to begin about to begin With the thunder don't you loose your head Rip off the roof and stay in bed
God bless mother nature She's a single woman too She took for the Heaven And she did what she had to do She taught every angel to rearrange the sky So that each and every woman could find her perfect guy Oh it's raining men, yeah
Humidity's rising, barometer's gettin' low According to all sources the street's the place to go Tonight for the first time just about half past ten For the first time in history it's gonna start raining men
It's raining men, Hallelujah, it's raining men, Amen It's raining men, Hallelujah, it's raining men, Amen It's raining men, Hallelujah, it's raining men, Amen

I scored 24 goals helping my side win promotion back to the Premier League aged just 22. Then in my first season in the top flight I had bagged an impressive 15 goals by the end of January. My form earned me an England call-up. Am I a £35m striker? No. I am Michael Ricketts, February 2002.

Glenn K

« Svar #3391 på: Oktober 08, 2012, 21:53:01 »
http://lufctrust.squarespace.com/blog/2012/10/8/lust-pre-agm-update.html

Dette virket da veldig positivt  :)

In advance of our AGM at New Farnley Cricket Club this Thursday, the LUST board have been working to establish the current situation with regard to the proposed takeover of Leeds United, and to gain an understanding of the future of the club.

In our first comments on the takeover back in May, we stated that we had spoken to at least two separate groups interested in taking over Leeds United. One of these groups was later granted a period of exclusivity to negotiate with the club. We know that this group had the financial resources and ambition to take the club forward, and understand that members of this consortium wish to comment about the negotiation process in the future.

A number of parties have expressed interest in the negotiations over the last five months and longer, but current bidders GFH Capital have only emerged as potential buyers in the last six weeks.

Our guiding principle at LUST is our Vision Statement, which was written by our members and sets out what we want to see at Leeds United, no matter who is in charge. With this in mind, we have made contact with representatives of GFH Capital, to ascertain whether their plans for the club accord with the hopes of our 8,300 members.

From our discussions, we can say that:

- GFH Capital are very confident that a deal will be concluded in the near future. They have no major issues left to negotiate, and do not consider their lawyers to be delaying the deal unduly. The details of the deal are being concluded by the respective legal teams,

- They intend this deal to be a full takeover of Leeds United. Ken Bates will leave the club and David Haigh will take control,

- They view Leeds United as a long term project, and denied any intention to 'flip' the club. They could not answer questions about funding due to confidentiality agreements, but insist they have a strategy for success and the funds to achieve it,

- They confirmed that investment and success on the pitch are at the top of their agenda. Regaining ownership of Elland Road will also be a key aim. They agreed with us that dwindling attendances at Elland Road are a sign of supporter dissatisfaction, and that bringing the crowds back should be a priority,

- In line with our Vision Statement, they understand the importance of working with all supporters and supporters' groups, the local council, police, businesses and the local community, and building positive relations with all.

For our part, given their status as current bidders and their confidence that they will soon conclude a takeover, we welcome GFH Capital's assurances regarding the aims and ambitions of our Vision Statement. However, while we acknowledge the need for confidentiality, we retain some concerns over the lack of information about their sources of funding, and will seek clarification of this as a priority should their bid be successful.

We would also stress that, should GFH Capital successfully conclude their takeover, they will be judged by Leeds fans on actions, not words. LUST are guided by our Vision Statement, which has the support of over 8,300 Leeds fans who have joined the Trust as members and shareholders. Our role will always be to work towards a club that is ambitious on the pitch, and open and inclusive off it, whoever is in charge.

Our AGM will be held at New Farnley Cricket Club on Thursday 11th October. Our members and shareholders are welcome from 7pm-8pm, and all Leeds fans are invited to attend our public meeting from 8pm onwards. You can find directions here and an agenda for the meeting here.
« Siste redigering: Oktober 08, 2012, 21:55:52 av Glenn K »

Svend Anders

« Svar #3392 på: Oktober 08, 2012, 22:08:35 »
Det er i alle fall oppløftende dersom GFHC faktisk allerede har pengene de trenger, for min største bekymring er om dette blir et oppkjøp basert på et "innsalg" av en investeringsmulighet til aktører som ikke har annet forhold til oss enn å tjene penger.

Om GFHC kan gjøre dette med god og trygg backing tror jeg det blir bra, men jeg tror fortsatt det er litt igjen å gå her. Jeg noterer meg blant annet at LUST sier at en eller flere av de som opprinnelig var med i konsortiet tidligere i sommer vil komme med uttalelser senere. Hva er greia med det, liksom?

SA

mac_gyver

« Svar #3393 på: Oktober 08, 2012, 22:10:24 »
Tror det ikke før jeg får se det.
Pride of Yorkshire

Larsen.

« Svar #3394 på: Oktober 08, 2012, 22:59:38 »
Vår nye chairman?

David Haigh set to become new Leeds United chairman

GFH Capital’s Deputy CEO, David Haigh, will become the Chairman of Leeds United Football Club should the company successfully complete their long-awaited takeover.
The news comes via a statement from the Leeds United Supporters’ Trust (LUST) who have spoken with representatives of GFH Capital.

LUST contacted GFH seeking clarification on a range of concerns raised by certain members of the press, most notably, Duncan Castles of Middle Eastern newspaper The National.
While LUST failed to get any clarification on GFH’s financial capabilities, the would-be owners insisted they have the funds to make a success of Leeds United Football Club and have no intentions to “flip” (quickly buy and sell) the business for a profit.

GFH also understand that low attendances are a result of supporter dissatisfaction and that bringing the crowds back is a priority. They also wished to make clear that repurchasing Elland Road is considered to be “key aim”.

The timescale for completion of the takeover remains as inconspicuous as ever, but GFH have reiterated their earlier statement that the companies lawyers are not holding up the deal, contrary to the claims of Ken Bates. They also repeated that the takeover is a full purchase of the club and that Ken Bates won’t remain on in any capacity.

For their part, LUST say they’re mostly satisfied with the assurances they’ve received, though they do hasten to add that our potential new owners will be judged by their actions, not their words, and that clarification on GFH’s financial position remains a concern.

Pride of Yorkshire

4ever arcticwhite

« Svar #3395 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 08:24:28 »
Overtakelsen klar innen tre uker?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11715/8150173

David Haigh, deputy chief executive officer and chief operating officer of GFH Capital, told The Sun: "Leeds is like a young Pamela Anderson. It's in great shape, with superb assets and a great future ahead of her.

"Like any big acquisition we have to be thorough and that's the process we're going through right now. We're almost there and, hopefully, within three weeks it could be done.
The future's so White I've got to wear shades 8)

B_Ød

« Svar #3396 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 08:39:45 »

David Haigh, deputy chief executive officer and chief operating officer of GFH Capital, told The Sun: "Leeds is like a young Pamela Anderson. It's in great shape, with superb assets and a great future ahead of her.

"Like any big acquisition we have to be thorough and that's the process we're going through right now. We're almost there and, hopefully, within three weeks it could be done.

"within three weeks it could be done"

hi hi...tror jeg nok  :D
Ups & Ups!!

auren

« Svar #3397 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 09:00:52 »

Ã… sammenligne Leeds United med Pamela Anderson synes nå jeg er en liten fornærmelse. Kan ikke akkurat si at Pamela har hatt "a great future ahead of her". Nei, denne David Haigh virker som en bukk full av tull!

auren
"Guardiola said: 'You know more about Barcelona than I do!'"
Marcelo Bielsa, 16.01.19, etter Spygate-foredraget sitt.

Leedsfan

« Svar #3398 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 09:14:55 »

Ã… sammenligne Leeds United med Pamela Anderson synes nå jeg er en liten fornærmelse. Kan ikke akkurat si at Pamela har hatt "a great future ahead of her". Nei, denne David Haigh virker som en bukk full av tull!

auren

Det er forskjell på å gjøre mye ut av lite... Det er jo ikke Crystal Palace de skal kjøpe.

Nå må de få ut fingern. 
I scored 24 goals helping my side win promotion back to the Premier League aged just 22. Then in my first season in the top flight I had bagged an impressive 15 goals by the end of January. My form earned me an England call-up. Am I a £35m striker? No. I am Michael Ricketts, February 2002.

SOL

« Svar #3399 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 10:31:51 »
Føler meg på ingen måte helt overbevist om at GFH virkelig har de midlene som trengst. Men jeg innrømmer gjerne at jeg tar feil viss det skulle vise seg at jeg tar feil. Av en eller annen grunn føler jeg det er noe som skurrer her, og 52 mill £ uten TA og ER høyrest mye ut, viss det stemmer da.
 En Inge Pamela Anderson = Leeds United ??

SOL

« Svar #3400 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 10:34:21 »
En ung Pamela Anderson= Leeds United ???
Hva er det Haigh er ute etter  :D

B_Ød

« Svar #3401 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 10:47:54 »
En Inge Pamela Anderson = Leeds United ??
jeg kjente en/ei Inge Pamela i ungdommen jeg  :-\
Ups & Ups!!

Sydhagen

« Svar #3402 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 11:04:42 »
Luxus Leverpostei laget vel en sang om Pamela på 90-tallet?
En forferdelig dårlig sang som man møtte på ethvert vorspiel/nachspiel.
"Paynter, a striker whose danger factor is akin to a blind sniper, who has no fingers, or a gun."

J-R

« Svar #3403 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 11:31:58 »
Luxus Leverpostei laget vel en sang om Pamela på 90-tallet?
En forferdelig dårlig sang som man møtte på ethvert vorspiel/nachspiel.
Slutt din jobb i Baywatch å heller gift deg med meg:=)

auren

« Svar #3404 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 11:45:26 »

B_Ød

« Svar #3405 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 12:14:07 »
fælt å si det, men de 5-6 siste innleggene her er vel "by far" de mest interessante på laaaang tid.  :o
Ups & Ups!!

Elland RD LS 11

« Svar #3406 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 12:17:39 »
fælt å si det, men de 5-6 siste innleggene her er vel "by far" de mest interessante på laaaang tid.  :o

:)

Men nå har jeg troa på at TO blir noe av.

Svend Anders

« Svar #3407 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 12:36:46 »

auren

Jeg tror vel at presiseringen av en UNG Pamela Anderson har litt å si her? Han snakker ikke om dama som 50-åring.

For what it's worth.

SA

JacobScreek

• På juniorlaget
  • *** LEEDS UTD - the greatest team in the world***
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #3408 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 13:33:51 »

auren

Jeg tror vel at presiseringen av en UNG Pamela Anderson har litt å si her? Han snakker ikke om dama som 50-åring.

For what it's worth.

SA

...men fortsatt, hvis valget står mellom ei 50-årig Pamela Anderson og Ken Bates så er det likevel lett å velge...for de aller fleste av oss i alle fall...og tydeligvis for David Haigh...
There's only ONE United - LEEDS UNITED!
MOT...

Torpe-do

« Svar #3409 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 13:59:29 »

auren

For what it's worth.

SA

...men fortsatt, hvis valget står mellom ei 50-årig Pamela Anderson og Ken Bates så er det likevel lett å velge...for de aller fleste av oss i alle fall...og tydeligvis for David Haigh...

Hvilken vei tar denne tråden nå?  :D Kommer vel an på hvilken setting - jeg vet ikke helt hvor komfortabel jeg ville vært med Pamela som eier av Leeds Utd  ;D

auren

« Svar #3410 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 14:16:34 »

auren

For what it's worth.

SA

Jeg skjønte det. Men vil nå ikke si at karrieren til Pamela Anderson har vært så fantastisk? Kunne han ikke sammenlignet oss med noe annet enn en Babewatch?

auren

HåvardK

« Svar #3411 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 14:40:08 »
Gjesp...

ibster

« Svar #3412 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 14:49:44 »

auren

For what it's worth.

SA

Jeg skjønte det. Men vil nå ikke si at karrieren til Pamela Anderson har vært så fantastisk? Kunne han ikke sammenlignet oss med noe annet enn en Babewatch?

auren

Han sier jo at hun hadde MULIGHETEN til å få en fantastisk karriere. Det er en mildt sagt upassende analogi men jeg forstår poenget hans. Nå har vi i allefall fått vite hvilke plakater som prydet veggene til vår nye styreformann  ;D

martind

« Svar #3413 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 15:17:57 »

auren

For what it's worth.

SA

auren

Han sier jo at hun hadde MULIGHETEN til å få en fantastisk karriere. Det er en mildt sagt upassende analogi men jeg forstår poenget hans. Nå har vi i allefall fått vite hvilke plakater som prydet veggene til vår nye styreformann  ;D

Nå må vi inn på sporet av topic igjen! Noen som har noen saftige rykter å komme med? Blir jo helt utslitt av dette her... La oss få dette gjennomført og rykke opp!
MOT!! We are Leeds!

patricksangvik

« Svar #3414 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 15:22:28 »

auren

For what it's worth.

SA

auren

Nå må vi inn på sporet av topic igjen! Noen som har noen saftige rykter å komme med? Blir jo helt utslitt av dette her... La oss få dette gjennomført og rykke opp!
enig :)
Leeds are going up, going up, Leeds are going up, nanananana

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #3415 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 16:42:03 »
For de spesielt interesserte ;)

Her er en artikkel fra i fjor som i store trekk forteller GFHs historie, opp- & nedtur.

(Merk også at det ikke er GHF men underselskapet GHF Capital som er involvert i takeover'en)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/16/us-bahrain-gfh-idUSTRE75F4LF20110616

Anti-government protesters form the words ''Game Over'' with bricks as they block the roads from riot police at the junction of Bahrain Financial Harbour in Manama March 14, 2011.

MANAMA/ZURICH, Jun (Reuters)- Until a few months ago, the twin towers of the Bahrain Financial Harbour development -- clad in green glass and shaped like over-sized toy sea-horses -- were symbols of the island state's role as a regional financial hub.

Today the towers have taken on a different significance: concrete expressions of the way business and politics so often merge in the Gulf and, as a result, targets in the unrest that has roiled Bahrain and the wider Middle East since the beginning of the year.

Built by Gulf Finance House, a listed investment company run by Bahraini businessman Esam Janahi, the towers have also come to embody the ruling al-Khalifa family's fight to preserve its power and protect the vast wealth of the country's economic elite.

Land in the Gulf Arab region is largely controlled by a small number of ruling families who use it as a kind of currency, doling out plots to favored families and developers to forge political relationships and make money. For it to work, the system depends on businessmen like Janahi, merchants who ostensibly operate independently from the state but whose success rests, at least in part, on political connections.

Janahi, whose net worth local bankers estimate was several hundred million dollars before the global financial crisis, used his close ties to the al-Khalifas to build the centerpiece of the Bahrain Financial Harbour. He could then point to the development as a model to help secure further land deals from rulers and governments across the Middle East and as far away as India, convincing investors to put up billions of dollars for property projects, most of which have never been built.

GFH was far from the only firm to turn sand into money. The basic game plan was played out dozens of times by various companies across the Gulf in the past decade or so. But Janahi and his firm were among the biggest.

Janahi did not respond to a request for an interview for this story, but a GFH spokeswoman answered questions by email. Reuters also interviewed almost a dozen bankers who work or have worked in the Gulf region, most of whom have direct knowledge of GFH transactions.

Our investigation shows the company charged investors huge markups on land deals and took out enormous up-front fees. Such fees are legal in the Gulf but western bankers say they would be highly unusual in Europe or the United States, where the industry collects big payouts only when a project is successfully built and sold.

Documents obtained by Reuters show that GFH, which has teetered on the brink of collapse for several months, also sometimes shifted investor money from one project to plug holes in another.

The documents also suggest that GFH's property projects were hurt by blurred lines between the personal interests of Janahi and GFH itself. Investments and payments seemed to move back and forth between the two with very little scrutiny.

Investors in GFH have been left with huge losses -- $1.07 billion in 2009 and 2010 -- and plenty of questions about whether the company's myriad projects were ever going to be built in the first place.

In Bahrain, where the ruling family has been involved in several property developments over the past decade, it's become a symbol to ordinary people -- especially the poor Shiite majority -- angry about a system that shuts them out and widens already gaping inequalities.

When thousands of anti-government demonstrators failed to win tangible concessions from the government earlier this year, a small group singled out the BFH towers, blocking the main road outside the building (which also houses Reuters' Bahrain bureau) and waving one-dinar notes to highlight how cheaply they said the country's prime minister had acquired the building.

"We're expanding our protests and we came here because this building symbolizes (the inequalities of) the whole economy," one protester told Reuters outside BFH in March, the pavement around him littered with stones and makeshift barricades after hours-long tear gas battles with security forces.

THE BOOM

Esam Janahi was relatively unknown before he founded GFH, way back in the pre-oil boom era of 1999. Armed with a degree in business administration from Hull University in the United Kingdom and an uncanny ability to navigate the Gulf's political and business elites, he quickly began pulling off deals, each one seemingly bigger than the last.

Blessed with boyish looks and what many who have met him describe as real charm, Janahi won financial backing from around the region, including from a clutch of private investors in Kuwait, the Royal Guards of Oman pension fund and the Saudi-based Islamic Development Bank.

The oil boom that began in late 2002 kicked off a six-year economic expansion that transformed the region. In Bahrain, which sits just off Saudi Arabia's east coast and is connected to its much bigger neighbor by a 25 km (16 mile) causeway, new skyscrapers shot up and several sq km of land were reclaimed and added to its northern shore.

The new land was designed to host projects built by private firms such as GFH. It also turned into a source of revenue for the ruling al-Khalifa family.

Like other Gulf rulers, the al-Khalifas control most of their country's land. Documents from Bahrain's business registry show that using a complicated series of companies, the royal family partnered with private-sector developers in several projects.

The Bahrain Financial Harbour was one such project. A copy of a property deed -- obtained by Bahrain's main Shi'ite opposition group Wefaq and handed to reporters in March -- shows that the Ministry of Finance transferred the land on which GFH built its towers to the Bahrain Financial Harbour Company in 2003. Bankers with knowledge of the deal say Prime Minister Sheikh Khalifa bin Salman al-Khalifa, who has governed Bahrain since independence four decades ago, granted the land in return for a 50 percent stake in the project. The other 50 percent was owned by GFH.

The prime minister's stake was held through an investment vehicle called Emar Bahrain, according to bankers with direct knowledge of the matter. There are no commercial registry entries for Emar Bahrain, but the business registry shows the chairman of Bahrain Financial Harbour Company is Sheikh Rashid Khalifa Hamad al-Khalifa, a high-ranking official in Bahrain's interior ministry, who is married to the prime minister's daughter.

A second document obtained by the opposition and passed to reporters shows how Prime Minister al-Khalifa may have personally benefited from the deal. In 2005, according to the sales contract, Emar Bahrain transferred a parcel of land to the prime minister for one Bahraini dinar, or less than $3. The prime minister's office has told the Bahrain News Agency all transactions were legal and that the company received land elsewhere in return as compensation.

Even before the Financial Harbour deal, Janahi had close connections to Bahrain's rulers. "He had a diplomatic passport," said someone who has done business with Janahi and has intimate knowledge of GFH. "He was a member of the shura council" -- Bahrain's upper house of parliament whose 40 members are appointed by the king. The development deal cemented those ties, and helped open more doors around the Middle East.

In response to questions, GFH said it had 10 successful years before the financial crisis hit investment firms around the globe. It says it was the first firm to partner with governments in the region on real estate and infrastructure projects.

"Indeed, Esam Janahi and other Executive Management members do hold valuable relationships with regional governments which were a direct result of spearheading GFH," the company said in an email. It went on to point out the "impressive track record that GFH showed in creating opportunities and unlocking value in emerging markets".

THE MODEL

During GFH's busiest years -- between 2006, when the Financial Harbour towers neared completion, and 2008, just before the Gulf's real estate crash -- the company used the towers as a signature project to negotiate more land deals with heads of state and governments elsewhere in the region.

"It's not something that was openly advertised, but they would brag about how they were getting the land for next-to- nothing, and about how they were making huge sums of money," said a Gulf-based banker who had a business relationship with GFH and spoke on condition of anonymity.

The model was simple. "You basically go and cut a deal with your buddies in Morocco, or Egypt, Tunisia, Syria," said a senior investment banker in Bahrain. Having paid very little for a parcel of land "they (GFH) would go over to investors and mark it up by something like 40 percent, in some cases even more, and sell it." Other bankers and two senior company insiders confirmed such a markup was typical at the company.

GFH was not alone in this practice. Bahrain-based investment bankers say it was common practice for Bahraini investment firms to add huge mark-ups to the value of a plot of land or company they had bought cheaply before selling it on to investors. Companies in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar and elsewhere did the same thing.

"The returns could reach up to 200 percent," said an investment banker who worked at a Bahraini investment firm affiliated with Esam Janahi, and who also asked to remain anonymous.

The mark-ups meant investors initially owned something worth less than what they had paid for it, an anomaly that most hardly noticed as long as property values kept rising.

It was also common practice for GFH to book massive up-front fees on the money they raised from investors. In some cases, real estate projects were split into several phases so that fees could be collected each time investor money was rolled over into the next phase, according to Bahraini bankers.

Such an arrangement is highly unusual outside the Gulf, according to people who work in the industry in Europe and the United States. Management fees charged by private equity houses and asset managers in other parts of the world are typically modest.

GFH does not dispute that it charged fees at the start of its projects. "GFH's business model did utilize upfront fees in addition to management and success fees, as did many institutions," it said in its statement to Reuters.

PROBLEMS

Local bankers estimate GFH raised a total of $5 billion between 2002 and today: much of that money is still locked up in unfinished projects.

One such project, on about 1,750 acres of land outside Mumbai, India, was unveiled in late 2007. It is unclear what GFH paid for the land, but it seemed to have no problem selling the project -- a massive business and residential complex targeting international companies -- to private individuals around the Gulf.

An internal GFH document seen by Reuters and verified by four former insiders shows that by September 2009, GFH and Abu Dhabi Investment House (ADIH), a company run by Janahi's brother Rashad, had jointly raised $1.1 billion for the project. After up-front fees and commissions had been taken out, only about 25 percent of that money reached the Mumbai project, according to the document.

Additional documents seen by Reuters show other GFH projects had similar fees deducted. In July 2008, for example, GFH said that its second-quarter earnings had come mostly from fees on real estate projects, in particular a project in Libya.

An investor in that project, known as Energy City Libya, told Reuters two months ago that he had completely written off his investment as no visible progress had been made and he no longer expected the project to be completed. Progress has been slow in Mumbai as well.

GFH says it is committed to completing all of its projects and that it has signed an agreement with a new partner to complete the land acquisition in Mumbai and begin work.

MONEY SHIFTERS

The Mumbai project illustrates another aspect of the way GFH did business. The internal document shows that the $1.1 billion earmarked for India included money that was meant to come from a separate GFH project in Qatar.

GFH claims that it offered investors in the Qatar Energy City project the option of rolling their funds into the Mumbai project.

But a letter sent by GFH to one investor in January this year showed the company could not collect sufficient funds to complete the roll-over.

GFH also wrote that the decision by FIFA to give Qatar the 2022 football World Cup raised other possibilities. Perhaps investors would prefer to shift their funds into a new project structure in Qatar instead?

Shifting money between projects was pivotal to the way GFH operated. GFH "was a monoline business focused on originating new real estate projects, not completing old ones," said a former company insider who did not wish to be named.

"They didn't have enough money to complete the old projects once they had sucked out all their commissions -- they sold them on to related parties, generating even more commissions -- so they had to keep coming up with new ones," he said.

While it lasted, skyrocketing property prices hid the markups and the fees. But when the global financial crisis hit in late 2008, property prices in the region collapsed.

AN ACCOUNT WITH GOD

In a courtroom in Manama last September, Janahi waited as ordinary families trooped before a judge to settle their disputes. When his turn came, the tall, heavyset businessman stepped forward, arranged his meticulously starched white head-dress and took an oath on a golden-framed copy of the Holy Quran.

The ceremony came when the court could not decide if his version of a $250 million business deal gone sour was real.

After his many property projects had begun to run out of funds in early 2009, investors and business partners lined up to question the integrity of GFH's business model.

One man in particular pointed a finger: Qatari businessman Khaled al-Suweidi, who accused Janahi of using him to gain access to land needed for a proposed "energy city" in Qatar and then reneging on a promise to share an expected $250 million in profit.

Registry documents show that Janahi and Suweidi did jointly register a company in the Cayman Islands. But Suweidi lacked sufficient proof of a financial agreement -- hardly surprising in a region where multi-billion projects are often agreed with minimal documentation.

By the time of Janahi's court appearance, Bahraini Prime Minister al-Khalifa had already made up his mind about his one-time business partner. In May 2010, he seized full ownership of Bahrain Financial Harbour and cut ties with Janahi. In return for a chunk of prime property that had been valued at $175 million during the boom years, GFH received $40 million in cash and a few plots of land.

Unable to pay its debts, the company's balance sheet fell below the regulator's capital adequacy ratios at the end of last September. The firm has since raised just over a fifth of the $500 million it has targeted in fresh capital to cover losses.

NO SCRUTINY

One of the reasons the company is still creaking on, argue critics of Bahrain's government, is that Janahi's ties to the prime minister allowed him to escape the scrutiny of the country's regulator, the Central Bank of Bahrain (CBB).

"Janahi did business with the prime minister who was just beyond the (influence of) the CBB," said the former business associate with intimate knowledge of GFH.

The central bank did not force GFH to disclose the departure of its CEO Ted Pretty in February, a piece of news that would be seen as important and market-moving in other jurisdictions. And when last year GFH's auditors said the firm no longer complied with the regulator's minimum capital adequacy requirements, the CBB did nothing -- at least publicly.

The CBB rejects that criticism. It said in a statement to Reuters that Bahraini law "gives the CBB legal, operational and financial independence so that it may undertake protecting the interests of depositors and customers of financial institutions without interference from any third parties."

The central bank also said that booking up-front fees was legal under the international regulatory standards it applies as long as they are disclosed to investors, but that it had nevertheless discouraged the practice. Confidentiality provisions prevented it from commenting on GFH specifically, it added.

Western bankers still think the CBB is one of the best in the Gulf, though central banks in the region generally lack independence from ruling families.

Investors in GFH, though, are livid with the regulators.

"The central bank and the ministries we have spoken to, they're not taking any decision they just said go to the courts," said Mohammed Boodai, a prominent Kuwaiti businessman who had several million dollars invested with GFH. "We want a real auditor coming from the outside to check the papers and documents they have got there."

MARTIAL LAW

GFH is as much symptom as cause of the region's malaise. Protestors in Bahrain -- most of them members of the country's poor Shi'ite majority -- have called for the ouster of the ruling family and an end to the system which allows companies like GFH to prosper.

At the heart of the protestors' complaints: economic inequality and land ownership. The region's business and political elites cashed in during the economic boom, but few others benefited.

"I still live with my entire family in a small flat. This palace is bigger than my entire village," a protester told Reuters on the same March day when more than 10,000 protesters trooped by several km of royal estate covered with palm tree gardens.

Intended to be a fully fledged financial district, Bahrain's Financial Harbour is now little more than two partially occupied business blocks. Most of the few shops that opened in the shopping mall between the towers have closed in recent months.

Janahi still lives in Bahrain. One former insider says he doesn't travel much anymore.

When anti-government demonstrators blocked the road outside the buildings in March, the government declared martial law and the country's neighbors, including regional heavyweight Saudi Arabia, sent in troops to help put down the unrest.

The armored personnel carriers and soldiers surrounded the Financial Harbour for the next two months.

(Frederik Richter reported from Manama, Martin da Sa'Pinto from Zurich; Additional reporting by Sarah White in London; editing by Simon Robinson and Sara Ledwith)
Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #3416 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 16:58:37 »
For de spesielt interesserte ;)

Her er en artikkel fra i fjor som i store trekk forteller GFHs historie, opp- & nedtur.

(Merk også at det ikke er GHF men underselskapet GHF Capital som er involvert i takeover'en)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/16/us-bahrain-gfh-idUSTRE75F4LF20110616

...og som et apropo:

Gary Cooper (LUST-sjefen)
i am told Reuters are taking a close look at GHFC and the deal again following on from their piece last year, perhaps that will demonstrate a little more about the finances involved in this?

Sitat
QUOTE (LPP @ Oct 9 2012, 01:19 PM)

Anything we should be worried about?

Gary Cooper:
ive not seent he piece mate, i was approached for a quote, its the same team that did last years piece og GFH so i am guessing they are thorough?

Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Pheriox

« Svar #3417 på: Oktober 09, 2012, 23:26:12 »
Jeg tror David Haigh egentlig mente å sammenligne GFHC med Pamela Anderson, og mente å si:
Our assets are as real as Pamela Anderson's two assets. And like her we plan to get exposed in numerous magazines, as well as feature in dubious "documentaries".

Jeg håper det dukker opp noen andre investorer enn GFHC, som jeg begynner å bli meget skeptisk til. Er redd GFHC har plenty av potensiale til å få oss til å savne selv en figur som Bates.
"The only difference between Leeds United and a circus is that a circus only has one clown!" - Peter Beagrie 14-02-2014

Boxman

« Svar #3418 på: Oktober 10, 2012, 08:59:57 »
Jeg tror David Haigh egentlig mente å sammenligne GFHC med Pamela Anderson, og mente å si:
Our assets are as real as Pamela Anderson's two assets. And like her we plan to get exposed in numerous magazines, as well as feature in dubious "documentaries".

Jeg håper det dukker opp noen andre investorer enn GFHC, som jeg begynner å bli meget skeptisk til. Er redd GFHC har plenty av potensiale til å få oss til å savne selv en figur som Bates.

Fra Waccoe:

"For the last time, GFH's own corporate wealth is irrelevant. It uses other people's cash - from banks, sovereign wealth funds, private investors, high net worth individuals - to invest. GFH makes its own money and manages its own balance sheet and profits by managing these investments, perhaps taking a percentage of future property, charging management fees etc. Their profitability is not a factor for us to worry about. Nor is their 'cash held'. Nor is their investment performance, share price or anything."

Dette er vel noe av det mer fornuftige jeg har lest i TOMA-tråden, og burde være nok til å stoppe den ubegrunna frykten enkelte tydeligvis har for at det er troll under senga...  ::)

Ps - Vedr. Haig's kommentar til The Sun. Ehh...trenger jeg si mer? The Sun? Når ble de plutselig troverdige?
Proud to be Leeds!

Svend Anders

« Svar #3419 på: Oktober 10, 2012, 09:10:53 »
Vedr. Haig's kommentar til The Sun. Ehh...trenger jeg si mer? The Sun? Når ble de plutselig troverdige?

Helt enig i at The Sun ikke er spesielt troverdige, men et direkte sitat er likevel et sitat, gitt av Haigh i denne sammenheng.

GFHC har faktisk brukt The Sun to ganger nå bevisst på å gi intervju/uttalelser.

SA