Skrevet av Emne: Legende: Mick Jones  (Lest 3004 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Cherry

Legende: Mick Jones
« på: November 01, 2011, 09:00:21 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Jones_(footballer_born_1945)

En ydmyk, men giftig angriper.....få av de nå til dags!
Herlig fyr, som var kjent som en "Gentleman-spiss" på folkemunne..

I disse £££-tider er det herlig å mimre om en slik spiller som spilte for skjorta!

« Siste redigering: Februar 19, 2019, 15:18:15 av Promotion 2010 »

Masinga

Sv: En av de aller største...
« Svar #1 på: November 01, 2011, 10:09:44 »
Enig. Mick Jones fortjener en hyllest. Samtidig føler jeg at han representerer en hel generasjon som nå er blitt borte.
Masinga, medl.nr. 1250

SOL

Sv: En av de aller største...
« Svar #2 på: November 01, 2011, 15:28:22 »
Jepp, en av de aller beste og kanskje mest undervurderte Leedsspillere i "The Glory Years"!!

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
Sv: Mick Jones - en av de aller største...
« Svar #3 på: November 01, 2011, 15:59:38 »
Sånn.
Syns det er god grunn til å fortelle i tittelen hvem som er en av de aller største :)
Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Promotion 2010

Sv: Mick Jones - en av de aller største...
« Svar #4 på: Februar 19, 2019, 15:16:46 »
Leeds United Centurions - Mick Jones was the unsung workhorse of Revie’s great side

The latest in our series looking back at Leeds' greatest-ever players sees Jon Howe take a look at the Revie-era striker

Mick Jones celebrates scoring against Manchester United on February 19, 1972 (Image: Daily Mirror)
The latest in our series looking back at Leeds' greatest-ever players sees Jon Howe take a look at the Revie-era striker

Mick Jones will be forever included in the classic Don Revie Xl that trips off the tongue, but his is a legacy that perhaps doesn’t draw the accolades of his more ‘larger-than-life’ contemporaries. But then that was Mick Jones in a nutshell; the kind of ‘side before self’ unsung hero who soaked-in the unique delights of being in ‘that’ dressing room for seven seasons, and didn’t need the outside adulation that others felt more comfortable with. The professionals’ professional maybe?

In a world of false nines, withdrawn strikers and lone front men, there is little room in the modern game for the archetypal striking duo that spearheaded Revie's great Leeds United side. Where Allan Clarke was the pin-up goal poacher with the predatory sixth sense, Mick Jones was the selfless grafter who shunned the limelight.

Mick Jones was happy to shun the limelight
Every team needs someone to do the unglamorous work, to relentlessly run the channels, to be the habitual buffer and the fall guy who simply absorbs every nudge, stud scrape and protruding knee from uncompromising defenders carved from granite. And if Mick Jones didn’t end every game breathless, bruised and covered head to toe in mud, then the Revie era never happened.

But to dismiss Jones as merely the graceless battering ram to Sniffer Clarke’s more technical finesse, does an injustice to an impressive strike rate of better than ‘one-in-three’, and which marked out Jones as the perfect foil for Clarke, but also an effective goalscorer that you underestimated at your peril.

Jones reached double figures in all his seven seasons in Leeds United’s first team, peaking at 26 goals in the epic 1969/70 season, and top-scoring in each of Revie’s league title-winning campaigns, despite missing much of 1973/74 with a knee injury that would eventually force his early retirement.

Jones would net at least ten goals every year at Leeds
Circumstances were often cruel to Jones, however. He is perhaps best remembered for his animated pain after dislocating his elbow during the 1972 FA Cup Final, rather than the dynamic run and cross that set Clarke up for the winning goal. Equally, few remember it was Jones who put Leeds ahead in both games against Chelsea in the 1970 FA Cup Final, only for his endeavours to be cruelly robbed of a just reward.

Jones’ biggest day in the sun was scoring the only goal in the 1967/68 Inter-Cities’ Fairs Cup Final versus Ferencvaros of Hungary. In a scrappy and fractious affair, Jones bundled a Jack Charlton knock-down over the line from a couple of yards in the first-leg at Elland Road, a typically unappealing strike in an attritional game that belied its status as a showpiece occasion. Jones was also subbed in the second half having taken a meaty blow to the stomach delivered by goalkeeper Istvan Geczi. “I thought he had broken me in two” Jones said, but he still lined up for the second leg where Leeds ground out a backs-to-the-wall 0-0 draw in the Nep Stadium to secure their first European trophy.

Jones turned out more than 200 times for Leeds
February 19th 2019 sees the 47th anniversary of another red letter day in the Jones household. While any Leeds player who scores a winner against Manchester United should never need to buy a pint in the city again, what does Jones deserve for his exploits in this memorable 5-1 win? With the score goalless at half-time, Jones notched a 15-minute second half hat-trick as Leeds blew their opponents away, with a devastating spell of attacking football which symbolised a golden period in which Revie’s team were finally being recognised for their attacking prowess.

That season ended at Wembley again, but this time Leeds were victorious. Jones, however, missed the most cherished moment of any footballer’s career as he was receiving treatment from coach Les Cocker while his colleagues collected the trophy from the Queen. Jones had been chasing a lost cause in the 88th minute, shutting down space and making life awkward for an opponent in Arsenal who Leeds had frustrated all afternoon.

Jones scoring against Liverpool at Elland Road in May 1968
In a touching scene, Jones was led up the Wembley steps by Norman Hunter, and palpably in acute discomfort he arrived at the top to find his medal had already been handed to substitute Mick Bates. On the verge of passing out, Jones was delicately guided down the steps and straight onto a waiting stretcher complete with oxygen mask, where he was swiftly whisked away from the adulation and glory.

Naturally, Jones was missing 48 hours later as Leeds were forced to play Wolverhampton Wanderers away in the league title decider. Who knows how Revie’s side would be remembered now, had Jones been able to make that vital difference in the 2-1 defeat at Molinuex which denied Leeds a well-deserved league and cup double?

Jones and his team-mates on their way to Budapest in December 1969
If it feels like Jones’ Leeds career was something of a hard luck story, this underplays his contribution to a unique and precious period of the club’s history. Jones is one of the few players from that side to have enjoyed a significant career at another club prior to joining Leeds. He was prized from Sheffield United – the first ever £100,000 transfer in English football – in September 1967 having notched 76 goals in 172 appearances for the Blades.

While he was much-missed at Bramall Lane, he came to typify the unselfish and industrious heart that Revie wanted in his Leeds team, and when Allan Clarke was signed two years later, the perfect striking partnership was formed. Like two songwriters who were destined to meet and produce amazing things together, ‘Clarke & Jones’ doesn’t sound out of place in the company of Lieber & Stoller, Lennon & McCartney or Morrissey & Marr.

Jones in the 1972 FA Cup final
Jones played through the pain barrier in the 1973/74 season and underwent surgery in the summer, but missed the whole of the 1974/75 season as his knee injury failed to respond to treatment. He watched on as Jimmy Armfield gave Revie’s legends one last shot at success in the 1975 European Cup Final, and he announced his retirement a few weeks later at the age of thirty, as if a denial of glory was the perfect way to end his career.

Allan Clarke has often said he was never the same player once Mick Jones retired, and that goes some way to demonstrating how football doesn’t always celebrate those who do the tireless spadework that puts others in the spotlight. Within the watertight unity of that Revie side, however, everyone knew everyone else’s value and they were treated like a band of brothers accordingly. And I guess, deep down, that is all Mick Jones ever needed.

Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

veteranen

• Gjest
Sv: Legende: Mick Jones
« Svar #5 på: Februar 19, 2019, 18:10:56 »
Mick Jones var som spiller og type veldig illustrerende for det store Leeds-laget under Don Revie: Hardtarbeidende, uegoistisk, knalltøff - og med langt større ferdigheter enn mange ga ham kred for.

Raderparet Clarke & Jones scoret målene da Leeds i sin første tippekamp på norske skjermer slo Wolves 2-1 på bortebane i mars 1970.

Han scoret det andre målet i den imponerende 3-0 seieren i tippekampen hjemme mot Arsenal i mars 1972.

Jones scoret også i tippekampen borte mot Crystal Palace i november 1972 (2-2)

Og han scoret seiersmålet da Leeds slo Chelsea 2-1 i tippekampen fra Stamford Bridge i desember 1973.
Seieren mot Chelsea gjorde at klubben satte engelsk rekord med tjue strake kamper uten tap fra sesongstart. Vi økte jo som kjent den rekorden til 29 kamper, før vi gikk på vårt første tap i serien i den neste Leeds-tippekampen borte mot Stoke.

Her har jeg lagt inn høydepunkter fra de tippekampene Mick Jones scoret i:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70uBU8eqpx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhStPGirTNQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=426Xb6cq1rw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nfyGa6K6gw

jaho

« Svar #6 på: Februar 19, 2019, 23:03:28 »
Mick Jones var som spiller og type veldig illustrerende for det store Leeds-laget under Don Revie: Hardtarbeidende, uegoistisk, knalltøff - og med langt større ferdigheter enn mange ga ham kred for.

Raderparet Clarke & Jones scoret målene da Leeds i sin første tippekamp på norske skjermer slo Wolves 2-1 på bortebane i mars 1970.

Han scoret det andre målet i den imponerende 3-0 seieren i tippekampen hjemme mot Arsenal i mars 1972.

Jones scoret også i tippekampen borte mot Crystal Palace i november 1972 (2-2)

Og han scoret seiersmålet da Leeds slo Chelsea 2-1 i tippekampen fra Stamford Bridge i desember 1973.
Seieren mot Chelsea gjorde at klubben satte engelsk rekord med tjue strake kamper uten tap fra sesongstart. Vi økte jo som kjent den rekorden til 29 kamper, før vi gikk på vårt første tap i serien i den neste Leeds-tippekampen borte mot Stoke.

Her har jeg lagt inn høydepunkter fra de tippekampene Mick Jones scoret i:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70uBU8eqpx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhStPGirTNQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=426Xb6cq1rw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nfyGa6K6gw

utrolig moro å se disse klippene fra tiden man ble hekta på Leeds.. Stort å se 3-0 mot Arsenal, en maktdemonstrasjon mot laget som sesongen før tok The Double. Godt og bli minnet på hvorfor man er så utrolig opptatt av denne klubben..

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #7 på: April 04, 2020, 00:26:06 »
Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow