Skrevet av Emne: NYTT: "United We Fall" av Peter Ridsdale  (Lest 15022 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

kjelvi

Sv: NYTT: "United We Fall" av Peter Ridsdale
« Svar #30 på: November 01, 2007, 08:51:16 »
Ridsdale:   I'm sorry

ON THE SLIDE ... Leeds turned from Euro heroes into League One side

PETER RIDSDALE has uttered the words every Leeds fan has waited four years to hear: ‘I’m Sorry’.

The former Elland Road chairman has finally apologised for the club falling apart under his leadership.
Ridsdale became a despised figure when Leeds crashed from head-spinning heights to the bottom of the pile with record debts.
Until today he has maintained a stony silence but he now accepts the blame as he gives his version of the treachery, lies and deceit that pushed Leeds over the edge into bankruptcy in his book ‘United We Fall’.
He admitted: “In many eyes, I’m the man responsible for the ‘meltdown of Leeds United’, and a financial implosion that ultimately caught the eye of the Department of Trade & Industry.
“I don’t intend to launch a defence because many fans have already reached their damning verdict: I will be guilty forever more for the club’s demise.
“I knew, of course, why they all hated me. But I will say this: We messed up. We gambled. We won. Then we lost. Big-time.
“For that nightmare, I hold up my hands and say sorry. I can’t wind the clock back and handle things differently. If I could, I’d be more stringent and cautious.
“There is no escaping the reality that, despite an exciting journey, we failed. For that, I’m sorry.
“In future, I would not place so much faith in one manager’s ability and I would build the possibility of under-performance into the budgeting equation.
“Of course, the board and myself must carry the can — and we allowed David O’Leary to spend way too much money.
“We made the mistake of putting our money where his mouth was. The more we sniffed the Champions League, the more intoxicated we became.
“Should we have signed all the players we did? No. Did we build too big a squad? Yes.
“And we should never have signed Robbie Fowler or Seth Johnson. We gorged on football talent — and made ourselves ill.
“But every decision I took — in conjunction with the board — was made in good faith, with the interests of Leeds at heart.
“More than anything, I want Leeds to prosper and climb back to their rightful position as a top club. Nothing would make me happier. The baton has now passed to Ken Bates. It’s down to him and the next manager. I wish them good luck.”
Ridsdale fled Leeds when abuse and threats against him and his family reached an intolerable level. He believed he had found a bolt-hole when the family stayed with relatives — but he was wrong.
Ridsdale revealed: “From being the fans’ hero, I struggled to hold my head high after we buckled under £78.9million debts.
“It’s hard enough when you are jostled, reviled, spat at and threatened but I was angry my wife and two daughters should feel intimidated and fearful.
“Charlotte and Olivia, seven and six at the time, cried themselves to sleep because fans had pinned a note to my front gate saying ‘We know where you live’.
“As a family we fled to my sister-in-law’s house in Suffolk a world away from Leeds, a refuge for only a few days.
“There was no real escape. I went out and was looking at a shop display when suddenly I noticed the reflection of someone coming up behind me.
“I didn’t see the hand that darted for my throat, spun me around and pushed me against the window with a thud.

RIDSDALE ... unforgiven

“I was eyeball to eyeball with a scruffy young man, hair all over the place, his mouth and nose all twisted and snarling.
“With his grip clamped around my throat, he spat: ‘You’re that f***ing Ridsdale. You f***ed up MY team’. This was anything but random. He phlegmed up, spat at my feet and ran off.
“My legs went to jelly. I should have known there was no hiding place.
"I received menacing death threats in the post. Security guards had to patrol my own home.
“I was Peter Ridsdale: Traitor, Judas, disgrace, club wrecker. The enemy within.
“Leeds United is my history now and I’m not going to be forgiven in the city.”

The Sun
« Siste redigering: November 01, 2007, 11:48:29 av kjelvi »

Lars E

« Svar #31 på: November 01, 2007, 11:55:26 »
Myyye interessant lesing i denne tråden.. Keep up the good work Kjelvi ;)
Forever Leeds

veteranen

• Gjest
« Svar #32 på: November 01, 2007, 15:43:17 »

PETER RIDSDALE has uttered the words every Leeds fan has waited four years to hear: ‘I’m Sorry’.

The former Elland Road chairman has finally apologised for the club falling apart under his leadership.
Ridsdale became a despised figure when Leeds crashed from head-spinning heights to the bottom of the pile with record debts.
Until today he has maintained a stony silence but he now accepts the blame as he gives his version of the treachery, lies and deceit that pushed Leeds over the edge into bankruptcy in his book ‘United We Fall’.
He admitted: “In many eyes, I’m the man responsible for the ‘meltdown of Leeds United’, and a financial implosion that ultimately caught the eye of the Department of Trade & Industry.
“I don’t intend to launch a defence because many fans have already reached their damning verdict: I will be guilty forever more for the club’s demise.
“I knew, of course, why they all hated me. But I will say this: We messed up. We gambled. We won. Then we lost. Big-time.
“For that nightmare, I hold up my hands and say sorry. I can’t wind the clock back and handle things differently. If I could, I’d be more stringent and cautious.
“There is no escaping the reality that, despite an exciting journey, we failed. For that, I’m sorry.
“In future, I would not place so much faith in one manager’s ability and I would build the possibility of under-performance into the budgeting equation.
“Of course, the board and myself must carry the can — and we allowed David O’Leary to spend way too much money.
“We made the mistake of putting our money where his mouth was. The more we sniffed the Champions League, the more intoxicated we became.
“Should we have signed all the players we did? No. Did we build too big a squad? Yes.
“And we should never have signed Robbie Fowler or Seth Johnson. We gorged on football talent — and made ourselves ill.
“But every decision I took — in conjunction with the board — was made in good faith, with the interests of Leeds at heart.
“More than anything, I want Leeds to prosper and climb back to their rightful position as a top club. Nothing would make me happier. The baton has now passed to Ken Bates. It’s down to him and the next manager. I wish them good luck.”
Ridsdale fled Leeds when abuse and threats against him and his family reached an intolerable level. He believed he had found a bolt-hole when the family stayed with relatives — but he was wrong.
Ridsdale revealed: “From being the fans’ hero, I struggled to hold my head high after we buckled under £78.9million debts.
“It’s hard enough when you are jostled, reviled, spat at and threatened but I was angry my wife and two daughters should feel intimidated and fearful.
“Charlotte and Olivia, seven and six at the time, cried themselves to sleep because fans had pinned a note to my front gate saying ‘We know where you live’.
“As a family we fled to my sister-in-law’s house in Suffolk a world away from Leeds, a refuge for only a few days.
“There was no real escape. I went out and was looking at a shop display when suddenly I noticed the reflection of someone coming up behind me.
“I didn’t see the hand that darted for my throat, spun me around and pushed me against the window with a thud.

“I was eyeball to eyeball with a scruffy young man, hair all over the place, his mouth and nose all twisted and snarling.
“With his grip clamped around my throat, he spat: ‘You’re that f***ing Ridsdale. You f***ed up MY team’. This was anything but random. He phlegmed up, spat at my feet and ran off.
"I received menacing death threats in the post. Security guards had to patrol my own home.
“I was Peter Ridsdale: Traitor, Judas, disgrace, club wrecker. The enemy within.

The Sun

Dette kapitellett bør være tankevekkende lesning for oss alle.
Her kommer også Ridsdale  med den beklagelsen mange av oss har etterlyst. Er det ikke da på tide at vi tilgir mannen, og lar ham få fred?

Vi bør heller ikke bli overrasket når vi leser om hvilket frykthelvete han og hans familie måtte leve under. Nå vil jo de fleste av oss ta avstand fra direkte trusler og fysiske angrep, men vi er kanskje ikke så uskyldige som vi selv tror. Når vi f,eks sier og skriver ting som "måtte han brenne i helvete!", sender vi ut noe - og da er vi ikke helt uten medansvar for hva  de mer primitive blant oss faktisk er i stand til å gjøre. Jeg tror vi gjør lurt i å reflektere litt over dette…

pedro

« Svar #33 på: November 01, 2007, 15:55:41 »

The Sun

Dette kapitellett bør være tankevekkende lesning for oss alle.
Her kommer også Ridsdale  med den beklagelsen mange av oss har etterlyst. Er det ikke da på tide at vi tilgir mannen, og lar ham få fred?

Vi bør heller ikke bli overrasket når vi leser om hvilket frykthelvete han og hans familie måtte leve under. Nå vil jo de fleste av oss ta avstand fra direkte trusler og fysiske angrep, men vi er kanskje ikke så uskyldige som vi selv tror. Når vi f,eks sier og skriver ting som "måtte han brenne i helvete!", sender vi ut noe - og da er vi ikke helt uten medansvar for hva  de mer primitive blant oss faktisk er i stand til å gjøre. Jeg tror vi gjør lurt i å reflektere litt over dette…

Fortår godt dine meiningar her, men den mannen komme eg aldri til å tilgi. Han burde gått ut med unnskyldning samme dagen han trakk seg ut. Han har gamblet med vår kjære klubb, solt seg i glansen, leaset gullfiskar på kontoret, plesja alle rundt seg ved å strø rundt seg med andres penger. Me vett jo alle resultatet av detta.
Me må glømma mannen fort som f... og heller ha fokus på den jobben klubben nå holde på med, sakte men sikkert bygga seg opp igjen så me står rusta og sterke igjen forhåpentligvis i PL innen kortast mulig tid.

Leedsomaniac

Jon R

« Svar #34 på: November 01, 2007, 15:56:18 »
Dette har jeg ventet på i snart 4 år. Peter Ridsdale strekker ut en hånd, og jeg tar den imot. For the good times and the bad.  :'(
Jon R.

veteranen

• Gjest
« Svar #35 på: November 01, 2007, 16:09:26 »
Dette har jeg ventet på i snart 4 år. Peter Ridsdale strekker ut en hånd, og jeg tar den imot. For the good times and the bad.  :'(

Tilgivelse er en fantastisk ting!
Det gjør godt for den som tilgir - og det gjør godt for den som blir tilgitt!
Det finnes bare vinnere der tilgivelse er det sentrale!  :)

stefan

« Svar #36 på: November 01, 2007, 16:35:49 »
enig Jon.
I "etterpåklokskapens navn" så burde ridsdale strengt tatt bare jobbet med å selge klubben.  Frem til woody/Bowyer saken så var Leeds det hotteste fotball navnet i PL. Jeg begyner nesten å gråte ved tanken på det laget vi kunne hatt nå ved å bare satse på talentene/spillerne  vi hadde før lønns og spillerkjøpskarusellen startet. Men men, tre nye poeng på lørdag gjør sikert susen.
www.tenforken.com

"Always carry a flagon of Whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake." W.C Fields

Tom S

« Svar #37 på: November 01, 2007, 18:21:02 »
Klarer ikkje heilt å tilgi Ridsdale, sjølv om eg veit og skjønar at han gjorde alt i beste meining, og at han ikkje var aleine om galskapen.
Men, tiden leger (kanskje) alle sår og hans "i'm sorry" er ein god start på healingen...
Den psykiske og fysiske terroren han har blitt utsatt for - den støtter eg IKKJE!
« Siste redigering: November 01, 2007, 18:22:51 av Tom S »
COME ON LEEDS !!

Jon R

« Svar #38 på: November 01, 2007, 18:40:52 »
"We lived the dream. We enjoyed the dream. "

Peter Ridsdale, 2003.

Alt etterpå ble et helvete.  :'(

Allikevel, tenk dere om: Ville noen av dere vært helt foruten dette kapittelet i Leeds Uniteds historie?   :o

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=6241161955
« Siste redigering: November 01, 2007, 18:47:09 av Jon R »
Jon R.

veteranen

• Gjest
« Svar #39 på: November 01, 2007, 19:00:24 »
Som tidligere skrevet - Ridsdale gjorde også mye bra i Leeds.

Jeg glemmer aldri den kvelden to Leeds-supportere ble stukket til døde i Istanbul, våren 2000.
Jeg ble sittende oppe og fulgte nyhetssendingene på Sky den påfølgende natten. Peter Ridsdale reiste til sykehuset der Leeds-supporterne var anbrakt, så fort han fikk høre hva som var skjedd. Det var ikke vanskelig å se og høre at han var rystet og fortvilet over det som hadde skjedd, da han ble intervjuet inne på sykehus. Ridsdale valgte selv å være sammen med venner og familiemedlemmer av de drepte - og han viste omsorg og medfølelse i både ord og handling.

Jeg ble imponert over måten han grep an denne  fortvilende situasjonen, og jeg var stolt over at vi hadde en styreformann som opptrådte på en så medfølende måte som han gjorde.

Ridsdale stilte også opp for de etterlatte da han kom tilbake til Leeds.

Jeg synes ikke at sånne handlinger er uvesentlig når vi skal bedømme om et menneske er godt eller dårlig.

AndyMathie

« Svar #40 på: November 01, 2007, 20:08:32 »
Ridsdale gjorde mye bra og jeg husker også episoden i Istanbul og intevjuene av han på Sky. Da følte jeg at vi hadde verdens beste Chairman og at ingenting kunne stoppe oss til å bli verdens beste fotballklubb. Slik skulle det ikke gå, når det ble signering av både Fowler og Seth Johnson som gjorde at det ble alt alt for tøft økonomisk for oss. Og akkurat det ber han om unnskyldning for når han nevner disse signeringene. Jeg aksepterer unnskyldningene, men tror ikke jeg greier å tilgi han før vi spiller uke etter uke på Canal+ igjen...
We are Leeds and we are proud of it!

Tom S

« Svar #41 på: November 01, 2007, 20:18:44 »
Når vi er tilbake i Europa kan vi, kanskje, sjå tilbake og huske dette som gode tider, men så lenger vi "sliter" i 3.divisjon klarer eg ikkje å tilgi Ridsdale.
I verste fall vil ikkje Leeds United nokon gang komme tilbake til topp 3 i England. Og då er tanken på at vi var så nær å etablere oss der før Ridsdale & Co mista heilt bakkekontakten vere uutholdelig!

Peter Ridsdale er nok ikkje eit umenneske Vetten, men han har ansvaret (som stryreformann) for at Leeds United gjekk rett ned i avløpet og vart latterleggjort i fotballverdenen.
Han gjorde mykje godt, bl.anna episoden i Istanbul står det respekt av.

For the record:
Eg har aldri sagt at Peter Ridsdale er eit dårlig menneske og ville aldri funne på å meint noko sånt.
Men styring av ein fotballklubb var heilt klart ikkje Mr.Ridsdale sitt sterke felt...

"We lived the dream. We enjoyed the dream. "

Peter Ridsdale, 2003.

Alt etterpå ble et helvete.  :'(

Allikevel, tenk dere om: Ville noen av dere vært helt foruten dette kapittelet i Leeds Uniteds historie?   :o

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=6241161955
COME ON LEEDS !!

kjelvi

« Svar #42 på: November 01, 2007, 20:47:22 »
Sorry gutter!

Jeg er lei og kvalm av Rids.
Boka hans virker som et sjølhøytidlig og særdeles subjektivt forsvarsskriv, hvor han prøver å dytte så mye som mulig av ansvaret over på kranglete spillere, krevende manager og sine medstyremedlemmer.

Uansett hvordan man vrir og vender på det, er han "The Main Man". Som særdeles aktiv, pågående og egenrådig styreleder skjedde det ikke en ting på Elland Road disse årene uten at han hadde ni eller ti finger med. Faktisk mer skyldig enn David O'Leary, som kom med sine ønsker/krav - som igjen Rids effektuerte i stooooor stil (alle kjenner vel Seth Johnson-historien om de 15.000 i uke som ble til 35.000...)

Selvsagt mange gode side - PR-mann, Istanbul-saken og ikke minst god relasjonsbygger vis-a-vis fans.
Men samtidig en påfugl av en jålebukk med sine privatflyreiser, biler og ikke minst gullfisker.
En mann som brukte klubbens penger som en full sjømann på land i Rotterdam!

Han ber om unnskyldning. Jeg sier tja. Synest ikke mannen fremstår en millimeter som en angrende synder. Hans drift av Cardiff kan tyde på at mannen heller ikke har lært...

Tilgivelse kan han få. Men det desiderte hovedansvaret for klubbens elendighet har han uansett!

Forfatterens inntekter fra boka går til et lokalt sykehus i Leeds. Prisverdig. Men de £100.000 The Sun har betalt for de eksklusive rettigheten til forhåndsomtale og utdrag fra boka putter han i egen lomme. Også såkalt 'direktesalg' - som ved signeringer, gjennom alle andre kanaler enn bokhandlere (f.eks. supportershop o.l.) går til Ridsdales eget selskap - og ikke som royalites gjennom forlaget og dermed til charity. Luring også på dette området!

« Siste redigering: November 01, 2007, 20:49:36 av kjelvi »

flynn

« Svar #43 på: November 01, 2007, 21:03:22 »
Det er lang avstand mellom fullstendig tilgivelse og det å drive med fysiske eller psykiske trusler... Jeg kommer nok for evig tid til å huske Ridsdale, både som den som ledet oss til the peak of Europe noen fantasiske sesonger, og for deretter å lede an i det kolossale fallet som fulgte. Han kommer aldri på julekortlista mi, men på den annen side føler jeg heller ikke noe personlig hat mot mannen. Imkompetanse er irriterende, men ikke grunnlag for hatefull og truende oppførsel!

Dessuten er ydmykhet i etterpåklokskapens tegn alltid en formildende omstendighet. Her kommer det et aldri så lite "Sorry Guys". Sent, ja vel, og ikke nødvendigvis fullt og helt, men dog bedre enn ingenting.

flynn

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #44 på: November 01, 2007, 21:18:12 »
Vi har vel alle "driti på draget" en og annen gangen...

Rids dret en ganske stor 10'er (jamf. Jon R's definisjon fra "den store driter"-tråden) - og er hovedskyldig de luxe.
Nå endelig kommer en "slags" unnskyldning (må vel nesten lese hele boken før jeg tar stilling til hvor "helhjertet" den virker).

Jeg aksepterer den (den "tilgivelsessaken" til vettis'en er en preken i kjerka verdig  :)), og ville ha kunnet invitert mannen på middag. Men jeg hadde ikke "vært med på" at han satt der og pratet vekk all skyld.

Han/styret bommet fullstendig på markedet der de kjøpte i høykonjunktur og solgte i nedgangstider, Bosman fikk sin effekt... men "leasing"-forsøkene var bare så inni hampen hølete i huet at det ligner ingentingen...

Personen Rids må allikevel bedømmes mer "bredt" enn selve "saken" som vel vil "ta vekk" ca 10 år av Leeds Uniteds "top-claim"... Og jeg syns vettis'ens to innlegg over her er en god start  :)

Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

kjelvi

« Svar #45 på: November 02, 2007, 09:31:43 »
EXCLUSIVE: O'Leary hits back in bung storm as Sportsmail reveals the documents which damn the chairman who took Leeds to the brink of ruin

Almost five years after Sportsmail exposed Peter Ridsdale as the man who authorised the payment of £1.75million to agent Rune Hauge, and so doubled the agreed commission fee from five to 10 per cent for his role in Rio Ferdinand's transfer from West Ham to Leeds, the former Elland Road chairman has attempted to rewrite history.
Angered that he is still held largely responsible for the financial collapse that reduced Leeds from Premier League contenders to a League One club, the current Cardiff chairman and a man football agents fondly referred to as "Father Christmas" has written an explosive new book.

In it, Ridsdale tries to repair the damage to his own battered reputation and shift the blame on to those he considers more culpable — other directors of the club at the time and, most notably, David O'Leary.
O'Leary was the manager who, during his four years in charge, did not finish outside the top five in the Premier League and guided Leeds to a Champions League semi-final.
But Ridsdale now points the finger firmly at the man who has emerged as the favourite to be the next Republic of Ireland manager, making allegations that are contradicted by documents that have been obtained by Sportsmail.
O'Leary has never denied signing a form that gave Hauge "exclusivity" to deliver Ferdinand to Leeds.
Sportsmail has now discovered, again with the support of documentary evidence, that Hauge and Pini Zahavi — the England defender's representative — worked in tandem and the Irishman knew the Norwegian could indeed deliver.
As a letter sent from Zahavi to Hauge in January 2001 confirms, the two agents often worked together on deals and agreed to share any commission 50-50 should Ferdinand leave Leeds.

Paper trail: one of the damning documents which show that Peter Ridsdale had authorised Rune Hauge’s commission in the transfer of Rio Ferdinand to Leeds

But Ridsdale has accused O'Leary of acting "unilaterally" in recruiting Hauge's services when documents prove otherwise.
Ridsdale writes: "It was O'Leary's signature that allowed Rune to contact the player, player's agent and club representatives on our behalf.
"David hired him without my knowledge and without board approval. He acted unilaterally."
With the form that O'Leary did indeed sign on May 15, 2000 was a covering letter that was signed by Ian Silvester, then a Leeds director and the club secretary.
Sportsmail has copies of both documents and Silvester informs Hauge's office at Libero Limited in Guernsey that only Ridsdale can discuss any commission that would be paid on completion of a transfer.
Silvester states quite clearly that "in relation to commissions payable upon one or more successful transfers, Rune will need to discuss such figures directly with my chairman, Peter Ridsdale."
O'Leary remembers the episode clearly: "I took a call, like I would from a lot of agents, from Rune Hauge and he said he could get Rio Ferdinand for us.
"I wanted the player and I knew Hauge could get him, so I passed him on to Ian Silvester, who then produced a piece of paper for me to sign.
"I asked him if I could do this but he said it was accompanied by a covering letter that stated that only with Peter Ridsdale's approval could any commission fees be agreed. End of story."
Ridsdale, however, says he knew nothing of the arrangement for "three months".
It was, he said, "three months before Pini Zahavi informed me of Rio's interest in joining us and six months before the actual transfer."
A fax to Silvester from Hauge's office suggests otherwise, however.
Dated May 18, 2000 — three days after O'Leary signed the form — it says that "Rune Hauge has now spoken to Mr Peter Ridsdale regarding commission payable on a successful transfer of any of the above players."
When Hauge initially discussed Ferdinand with O'Leary, he also said he could deliver Martin Laursen, Steffen Iversen, John Arne Riise and Robbie Fowler.
In that same letter, Hauge's office stated that the commission fee had been agreed after the conversation with Ridsdale.
"They have agreed that this shall be equal to five per cent of the full transfer fee."
So why, four days before Ferdinand signed for Leeds on November 26, did Ridsdale sign a letter agreeing to pay Hauge double that amount, and so take the commission fee to a staggering £1.75m?
In his book, Ridsdale writes: "Within 24 hours of agreeing a deal with West Ham (on November 21, 2000) the whole deal was in jeopardy over an agent's fee and his role.
"If Leeds were raped by Hauge, then our arms were pinned down by the manager's mandate. We contemplated not paying but were told the deal would be off."
Again, documents contradict these claims, not least the fact that Ridsdale insists he only knew of Hauge's alleged demand for 10 per cent the day after the two clubs had agreed the fee.
In a letter addressed to Ridsdale on November 22, Hauge's office at Libero Limited refers to a fax that was sent to Leeds a month earlier.
"Further to our fax of 26 October, 2000, we confirm that we have made the changes to the agreement as agreed with Rune Hauge. A copy of the revised agreement is enclosed."
Ridsdale denies having had the conversation with Hauge between May 15 and May 18, just as he denies any knowledge of the "changes to the agreement" in October.

A statement issued on his behalf yesterday said: "The detailed information, published in United We Fall, and relating to the hiring of Rune Hague by David O'Leary to 'exclusively act on behalf of Leeds United' is accurate and corroborated not only by supporting documentation but also by sworn affidavits, and by a thorough and independent internal investigation carried out by Leeds United PLC.
"Any implication that Peter Ridsdale had knowledge prior to the Autumn of 2000 of any 'exclusivity' agreements having been signed by David O'Leary has already been demonstrated to be untrue.
"In writing this book, all Peter Ridsdale has attempted to do is to set the record straight on matters which were in the public domain, and which needed correcting."
O'Leary, and indeed his lawyers, may see things rather differently.

Daily Mail

kjelvi

« Svar #46 på: November 02, 2007, 09:35:29 »

EXCLUSIVE: He's deranged - O'Leary rages at Ridsdale 'smears' over bung agent

David O'Leary has branded Peter Ridsdale "deranged" for launching a smear campaign designed to restore his own battered reputation and blacken the name of the former Leeds and Aston Villa manager.

Ridsdale, one-time Elland Road chairman, is about to publish an explosive new book, United We Fall, which attempts to shift the blame to O'Leary for the club's descent into financial chaos and relegation to League One.

Fuming: David O’Leary

In particular, he alleges that O'Leary was in some way responsible for the huge payments he authorised to agents, most notably the £1.75million that disgraced agent Rune Hauge received as part of Rio Ferdinand's £18m move from West Ham to Leeds in November 2000.
But on a day when Sportsmail reveals documents that expose glaring inconsistencies in the current Cardiff chairman's claims, O'Leary hits back as he emerged as the favourite to become the next Republic of Ireland manager.
O'Leary, who has already consulted his lawyers with a view to taking legal action against his former employer, is disgusted by the attack when all previous allegations made against him by Ridsdale were withdrawn in the settlement document that was signed in the wake of the Premier League arbitration agreement.
In that agreement, Ridsdale and, indeed, Leeds expressly disassociated themselves from the allegations that were made at the time and O'Leary received £4m in compensation after being sacked in May 2002.
"I signed a confidentiality agreement, which was incorporated in a Premier League tribunal order, and so did Leeds," said O'Leary.
"I have honoured that but I now feel compelled to defend myself against this deranged man.
"My dad rang me the other morning to tell me what had been written as part of the book serialisation in a paper.
"My parents have experienced the highs and lows of my career but the headline was very upsetting. To say I'd made a 'secret deal with a bung agent' is outrageous. It's nothing but a smear campaign."
As O'Leary pointed out, the timing of the attack could not be worse. "Do I want to get back into football? Definitely," he added. "Is this going to help me? No.
"What amazes me, though, is how Peter was with me when he was out of work. Not only did he call me to say that he had recommended me to Doug Ellis when I got the Aston Villa job but he asked me to recommend him to my chairman when the chief executive's job became available.
"That made me think, for all we'd been through at Leeds, that he was still a friend.
"I will always feel I did a good job at Leeds. We finished fifth in the Premiership the summer I was sacked. I remember walking off the pitch and Peter was waiting for me to congratulate me on another good season.
"People would go on about me spending £90m when the real figure was nearer £50m. And look how much the top four clubs are spending today to get into the Champions League."
O'Leary is furious with Ridsdale's suggestion that he lost the dressing room. "I left Leeds in a good situation," he said.
"In his book, Peter says I lost the dressing room. There were players who were unhappy but they knew their days were numbered under me.
"Peter highlighted a problem with Paul Robinson and he was wrong to do that.
"Since I left Leeds I have been to Robbo's wedding and stayed as a guest at his house in London. My daughter, Ciara, has been a babysitter for them.
"When I was at Villa and Paul was still at Leeds, he wanted to sign for me there. It was only because Doug Ellis wouldn't come up with the money that the deal fell through.
"The implication that I might have taken a bung is what really upsets me.
"I'm prepared to undergo any kind of scrutiny because I know I have done nothing wrong and I will not allow anyone to accuse me of being a fella who takes a bung."

Daily Mail

kjelvi

« Svar #47 på: November 02, 2007, 09:36:56 »
Who approved the agent's fee in Ferdinand deal?

PETER RIDSDALE SAYS: 'It was O'Leary's signature that allowed Rune (Hauge) to contact the player, player's agent and club representatives on our behalf.
"David hired him without my knowledge and without board approval. He acted unilaterally."

'Lived the dream': Peter Ridsdale

DAVID O'LEARY SAYS: "I took a call, like I would from a lot of agents, from Rune Hauge and he said he could get Rio Ferdinand for us.
"I wanted the player and I knew Hauge could get him, so I passed him on to Ian Silvester (Leeds club secretary), who then produced a piece of paper for me to sign.
"I asked him if I could do this but he said it was accompanied by a covering letter that stated that only with Peter Ridsdale's approval could any commission fees be agreed. End of story."

Daily Mail

kjelvi

« Svar #48 på: November 02, 2007, 09:41:23 »
David O’Leary ready to sue Peter Ridsdale over claims on agent payments

David O’Leary is considering taking legal action against Peter Ridsdale, his chairman while he was manager of Leeds United, over claims that O’Leary was to blame for the financial troubles and subsequent relegations of the Yorkshire club.

The Irishman branded Ridsdale “deranged” after learning of allegations in a forthcoming book that O’Leary was chiefly responsible for huge payments made by the club to agents. In particular to Rune Hauge, who received £1.75 million as part of Rio Ferdinand’s £18 million transfer to Leeds from West Ham United in November 2000.
Hauge was the Norwegian agent involved in the bung scandal that ultimately brought down George Graham, the Arsenal manager, in 1995. Graham was dismissed and banned from football for a year after being found guilty of taking illegal payments from Hauge The claims became public after Ridsdale’s book, United We Fall, were serialised in a national newspaper. O’Leary said: “My dad rang me the other morning to tell me what had been written. To say I’d made a ‘secret deal with a bung agent’ is outrageous. It’s nothing but a smear campaign.”
O’Leary, who was sacked by Leeds in 2002 and has been out of work since losing his job as Aston Villa manager in July 2006, is keen to return to football and has been strongly tipped to succeed Steve Staunton as the next manager of Ireland. “Do I want to get back into football? Definitely,” O’Leary said. “Is this going to help me? No.”
Previous allegations made against O’Leary by Ridsdale were withdrawn after an arbitration agreement between the parties, which resulted in O’Leary parting company with the club and receiving £4 million in compensation. “I signed a confidentiality agreement, which was incorporated in a Premier League tribunal order, and so did Leeds. I have honoured that but now I feel compelled to defend myself against this deranged man,” O’Leary said.
“I will always feel I did a good job at Leeds. We finished fifth in the Premiership in the summer I was sacked. People would go on about me spending £90 million when the real figure was nearer £50 million. And look how much the top four clubs are spending today to get into the Champions League.”

Times

McMidjo

• På juniorlaget
  • Winning doesn't really matter - as long as you win
    • Vis profil
    • Bremnerbloggen
« Svar #49 på: November 02, 2007, 10:10:04 »
Alle Ridsdales gode (?) intensjoner til tross – det vi får se nå er jo en åpen skittentøyvask i pressen mellom Ridsdale og David O’Leary- hvor DO’L karakteriserer Risdsdale som sinnsforvirret (’deranged’).  Akkurat i det klubben vår var tilbake i overskriftene for ’alle the right reasons’, får vi altså dette, og jeg kan ikke skjønne annet enn at Ridsdales bok bare vil sverte klubben Leeds United ennå mer….  :'( :'(   Ridsdale er så smart at han også har forutsett at dette ville skje…

Oppslaget fra Daily Mail, som kjelvi har lagt inn, viser at Ridsdale farer med løgner i sin nye bok - eller i beste fall er veldig glemsk.

Tilgivelse er ikke akkurat det første ordet jeg tenker på…. >:(
So-called Leedsfans, so-called Leedsfans, so-called Leedsfans - We are here....

Carl Fisker

« Svar #50 på: November 02, 2007, 12:03:16 »
Ridsdale var og forblir til evig tid ansvarlig for "the fall of Leeds United" . Ã… fare med løgn i et forsøk på å legge skylden over på O'Leary er direkte usmakelig og utilgivelig.

nord

« Svar #51 på: November 02, 2007, 17:08:47 »

Jeg  tror faktiskt omvendt. De fleste folk vil  forstå den sitiutation som Leeds kom i efter  Ridsdale og David O´Leary!.   
Endnu flere vil føle en stor sympaty for klubben efter denne bogen!.  :-*

stefan

« Svar #52 på: November 02, 2007, 22:12:06 »

Jeg  tror faktiskt omvendt. De fleste folk vil  forstå den sitiutation som Leeds kom i efter  Ridsdale og David O´Leary!.   
Endnu flere vil føle en stor sympaty for klubben efter denne bogen!.  :-*

eller så vil de godte seg...
www.tenforken.com

"Always carry a flagon of Whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake." W.C Fields

kjelvi

« Svar #53 på: November 03, 2007, 07:54:22 »
O'Neill admits he spoke to Leeds in 2003

ASTON Villa manager Martin O'Neill has admitted that he did have talks with Leeds in 2003 about becoming their manager.

The revelation came to light earlier this week from the former Leeds chairman Peter Ridsdale. In a serialisation of his book United We Fall, Ridsdale revealed that he met O'Neill for secret discussions in January that year with a view to taking charge at Elland Road the following summer.
O'Neill said: "I was within my rights to speak to other clubs in the last stages of my deal. I was interested as I wanted to see if I had the potential to be working after 30 June, 2003. I spoke to Peter Ridsdale and signed a statement of intent on the understanding that there were a number of conditions one of which was that Terry Venables, who was manager at the time, wanted to leave.
"It was not a contract as such certainly in terms of a legal document. When I realised that Celtic did actually want me and the conditions which were in the letter of intent were not being adhered to I wrote to him [Ridsdale] and told him that I was not going to continue.
"It is untrue that I didn't go to Leeds because he was no longer chairman. I did not want to leave Celtic at any stage. I loved the club. If they had come to me earlier I wouldn't have been in contact with Leeds. When Celtic put a new contract to me I was happy to sign."

sport.scotsman.com

kjelvi

« Svar #54 på: November 03, 2007, 07:55:42 »
Martin O’Neill rejects Peter Ridsdale claim that he signed up to Leeds job

Peter Ridsdale was accused last night of trying to entice Martin O’Neill to Leeds United under false pretences as the Aston Villa manager, moved to protect his integrity, claimed that he had been manipulated into signing a “statement of intent” while he was at Celtic. O’Neill said that it was “absolutely and utterly not true” that the only reason he did not take over as Leeds manager in 2003 was because Ridsdale had stepped down as chairman at Elland Road.
Ridsdale, known as “Publicity Pete” during his reign at Leeds, claimed in this week’s serialisation of his forthcoming book that he had O’Neill signed up to succeed Terry Venables.
In fact, the Villa manager, who was entitled to speak to potential employers because he had entered the final six months of his initial three-year contract with Celtic, had put his name to a statement of intent that included several dubious conditions.
This was Ridsdale’s third attempt to lure O’Neill to Elland Road and the former Leicester City manager said it was partly his suitor’s “desperation” to prove to the Leeds board that he had a hope of landing their long-term target that persuaded him to sign a nonbinding letter.
O’Neill, miffed that Celtic had not moved earlier to offer him a new deal despite winning successive league titles and staying in Europe beyond Christmas for the first time in 26 years, discovered that “what Peter had said had not stacked up”. He signed a new one-year rolling contract at Celtic Park the same month and led the Scottish champions to the Uefa Cup final, staying a further two years until his wife’s deteriorating health led him to take a year out of the game.
Angered by claims that besmirch his reputation for loyalty, O’Neill said: “Peter had wanted me to be manager a couple of times. In 1998, when Mr [John] Elsom [then Leicester City chairman] wouldn’t give me permission to speak to Leeds and then again in the summer of 2002, when David [O’Leary] left. Peter felt he had Celtic’s permission to speak to me, but when I spoke to Dermot Desmond [the Celtic majority shareholder] he said that wasn’t the case.
“I’d signed a three-year contract at Celtic and into the last few months of that contract, when there had been no discussions about a new deal, I assumed Celtic wanted me to see my time through. So I was within my rights to speak to somebody and went to meet Peter.
“I signed a statement of intent which included quite a number of conditions. One was that Peter told me Terry, the manager at the time, wanted to leave. It was not a contract. Peter was pleading that he needed a signature indicating a serious intent and, of course, there had to be because I had to see if I had the potential to be working after June 30, 2003. When I realised that what Peter had said to me had not stacked up, when I spoke to Dermot and realised Celtic didn’t actually want me to leave and that the conditions were not being adhered to, I wrote to Peter and left it there.”
Ridsdale’s version of events has upset Celtic supporters, who perceive that O’Neill was plotting a way back into English football, but their former manager confirmed that he was intent simply on discovering his options and was soon disturbed to discover Leeds was not going to be among them. “I spoke to Terry and I found out that he was not thinking about leaving,” O’Neill said. “I did not want to leave Celtic, I loved the football club, but I was a bit disappointed that in the third year of my contract that they had not moved sooner to prolong the deal.”

The Times

kjelvi

« Svar #55 på: November 03, 2007, 08:32:50 »
O'Neill blast at Ridsdale's claim

MISLED ... O'Neill pulled the plug on Leeds talks

MARTIN O’NEILL has accused Peter Ridsdale of trying to con him into signing a pre-contract agreement to join Leeds.

The Aston Villa chief believes Ridsdale misled him in a bid to lure him to Elland Road from Celtic four years ago.
Former Leeds chairman Ridsdale revealed exclusively in SunSport this week how he had persuaded O’Neill to put pen to paper.
But O’Neill insists he only spoke to Leeds because he feared Celtic were about to give him the boot.
The Irishman admits he did sign a statement of intent — but withdrew it almost immediately because Celtic wanted him to stay and he thought Ridsdale had not been completely honest.
O’Neill insisted: “The letter was full of conditions which I found out later hadn’t been true.
“Peter told me that Terry Venables, who was manager at the time, was thinking of leaving.
“I spoke to Terry. I found he was not thinking of leaving.
“What do I think of what he said this week? It’s Peter being Peter and he has a book to write.”
O’Neill, whose Villa side face Derby today, added: “There was nothing underhand. Celtic knew what I was doing every step of the way.
“I didn’t want to leave Celtic but I was in the last six months of a three-year contract and no one had spoken to me about another one.
“I was disappointed with that. I thought they just wanted me to see it through and if that was the case I would have been interested in Leeds because I would have been out of a job on June 30.
“I spoke to Peter and I signed some statement of intent on the understanding of quite a number of conditions.
"It was not a contract as such — how could I have signed a legally binding agreement with Leeds and then agreed a new contract with Celtic?
“I thought I was going to be out of work and I would have had a serious interest in joining Leeds but what Peter had said to me at the meeting had not stacked up.
“I spoke to Dermot Desmond at Celtic and realised that they did actually want me and the board felt there had been a misunderstanding.
“Once the misunderstanding was cleared up. I signed a one-year rolling contract.”
Ridsdale had made two previous efforts to entice O’Neill to Leeds, once when he was Leicester’s boss and again from Celtic in 2002.
O’Neill added: “I did have a right to go to talk to people although it was Peter who pursued me.
“I could understand him wanting something more tangible having failed in 1998 and 2002 to get something.”

The Sun

kjelvi

« Svar #56 på: November 03, 2007, 10:52:34 »
O'Neill: Document was not a contract
Martin O'Neill signed a conditional statement of intent to join Leeds four years ago - but insists nothing legally-binding was put in place.

Former Leeds chairman Peter Ridsdale revealed the story in a serialisation of his autobiography, United We Fall, but O'Neill said he only entered talks with Ridsdale because he did not believe his employers Celtic were going to offer him a new deal.
Aston Villa boss O'Neill said: "The letter was full of conditions which I found out later hadn't been true.
"Peter told me that Terry Venables, who was manager at the time, was thinking of leaving. I spoke to Terry and found out he was not thinking of leaving.
"There was nothing underhand, Celtic knew what I was doing every step of the way.
"I didn't want to leave Celtic but I was in the last six months of a three-year contract and no-one had spoken to me about another one.
"I was disappointed with that."
Speaking about the content of the document he signed, O'Neill added: "I signed some statement of intent on the understanding of quite a number of conditions.
"It was not a contract as such, how could I have signed a legally-binding agreement with Leeds and then agreed a new contract with Celtic?"

TeamTalk

kjelvi

« Svar #57 på: November 04, 2007, 14:01:27 »
Peter's porkies have O'Neill tearing into Ridsdale's book

Martin O'Neill has become the second manager in 24 hours to dispute Peter Ridsdale's memoirs as he accused the former Leeds chairman of lulling him into signing a pre-contract agreement under false pretences.
The day after David O'Leary blasted Cardiff City chairman Ridsdale over his book United We Fall, Aston Villa manager O'Neill questioned the book's version of the approach Leeds made to him when he was in charge at Celtic almost five years ago.

Blasting back: O'Neill disagrees with the Ridsdale accound

O'Neill, who was in the last six months of a three-year contract, was looking for a new club as he believed his services were no longer required at Parkhead.
He did not dispute Ridsdale's claim that he signed a contract but claimed he was cajoled into putting his name to the deal on the basis of conditions Ridsdale knew could not be upheld. Ridsdale resigned at the end of that season.
O'Neill said: "£The suggestion he has made that I didn't go to Leeds because he wasn't chairman is absolutely not true."
He claims the main problem centred on Terry Venables' continued employment as Leeds boss and says Ridsdale assured him Venables no longer wanted to be in charge.
O'Neill said: "I signed a statement of intent on the understanding that it had quite a number of conditions, one of which was that Terry Venables, who was the manager at the time, wanted to leave. I spoke to Terry about that. Terry was not thinking of leaving.
"There were quite a number of other conditions. It was not a contract as such, certainly not in terms of any legal document. But Peter was pleading that he needed a signature to show that there was serious intent. Of course, I had to be interested because I had to see if I had the potential to be working after June 2003. But when I knew conditions that were in the letter of intent were not being adhered to, I wrote to tell him I was not going to continue. There were a couple of other issues as well.
"But, if I had a legally binding contract with Leeds, why did they not want to do something about it? Peter knew the conditions were not being met and he had a letter to say so."
O'Neill also accused Ridsdale of misleading him over whether he had permission from Celtic's major shareholder Dermot Desmond to speak to him.

Peter Ridsdale: Allegations

O'Neill said: "I was within my rights to speak to Peter as I was in the last stages of my deal. He asked permission from Mr Desmond. Dermot initially said I could speak to him, so Peter felt he had permission. I later spoke to Dermot, who said that wasn't the case, he hadn't given him permission and he would prefer me to stay at Celtic, which I was happy to do.
"I realised that what Peter had said to me at the meeting had not stacked up. When I spoke to Dermot, I realised that Celtic did want me, it was a bit of a misunderstanding."
Asked why he believed Ridsdale had portrayed this version of events, O'Neill added: "I've seen what he said and Peter — well, Peter is being Peter. He has a book to write and following on from allegations that David O'Leary has made phone calls to Rune Hauge, then I'm probably a decent second story."

Daily Mail

kjelvi

« Svar #58 på: November 05, 2007, 10:28:16 »
Peter Ridsdale says sorry in rerun of the Leeds blame game

The first question that needed asking of Peter Ridsdale was “why do it?” and the former Leeds United chairman yesterday sought to explain why he has written a book raking over his ultimately calamitous stewardship of the club. So far his memoir has succeeded only in embroiling its author in back-page rows with an outraged David O’Leary and an infuriated Martin O’Neill.
It is not for profit because all money raised will go to a Leeds hospice and, in any case, it remains to be seen if there will be many takers. The intended audience is Leeds fans, but, as they lie in what used to be called the third division, do they want to read how their club was brought to its knees?
“It’s an apology,” Ridsdale said and he hopes, optimistically, that Leeds supporters will allow him to hold a book signing in the city centre. In part, United We Fall can be seen as a 292-page plea that he be able to park his car near Elland Road without returning to a burnt-out wreck.
But it is also about sharing out the blame, however much Ridsdale tries to deny it. “It is not a ‘get David O’Leary’ book,” he said, but it undeniably adds a fresh smear to the Irishman’s already battered reputation. Sympathy for O’Leary will be limited in football, where he remains unwanted even by Ireland, and the innuendo is likely to make it harder still for him to return to management.
While the revelation of an exclusive deal signed by O’Leary for Rune Hauge, the tainted agent, to recruit Rio Ferdinand is an old story, the book makes fresh allegations that the former manager also tried to hijack negotiations to sell Olivier Dacourt. “To this day I’ve never been able to satisfactorily resolve in my own mind why he would get involved in a potential transfer like that,” Ridsdale said. O’Leary has consulted his lawyers but, so far, has limited his retaliation to calling his former boss “deranged”.
The ludicrously high payments to agents by Leeds led to Ridsdale being dubbed Father Christmas at the time. He now admits that he was “a coward” in not taking a tougher stand on player signings. “But what I do think is hypocritical is that there are many others who made similar mistakes and yet the personalisation of the vilification is far greater for me than any others,” he said. “[Juan Sebastián] Verón went from Manchester United to Chelsea and then on again at enormous sums and with enormous agents’ fees. Is that in the papers every day? What about Kléberson, [Eric] Djemba-Djemba [moving to Old Trafford]? But I sign Seth Johnson and that makes me incompetent.
“When you are a fan, we all think about what we’d do if we were a manager or chairman, but do you really understand what comes with it? This book is trying to show that and to show how nothing could prepare me for a plane crash, the arrests of Lee Bowyer and Jonathan Woodgate, the Galatasaray issues [when two fans were killed]. I am not saying ‘it wasn’t me, guv’. But I am saying that I have lived for 4½ years being persecuted, being told I couldn’t come back to Leeds, being called every name under the sun. But I haven’t murdered someone. I made honest mistakes.”
The book’s veracity has also been questioned by O’Neill, who, Ridsdale reveals, was persuaded to make a written undertaking that he would move from Celtic to Elland Road in 2003. Under false pretences, the Aston Villa manager has now said. O’Neill was persuaded to sign because Ridsdale is engaging company and a plausible salesman. He is also sufficiently thick-skinned that he has worked at Barnsley and Cardiff City since being hounded out at Leeds.

He has invested about £500,000 of his own money for a 10 per cent stake in Cardiff. Having secured a good deal with the council to fund a new stadium, he will resign when it opens in the summer of 2009 or sooner if promotion to the Barclays Premier League comes first, which, with the team struggling, seems unlikely.
He spent Sunday last week responding personally to 100 angry e-mails but, for all the buffeting, football has not been too unkind to him. He expects to leave Cardiff a millionaire.

Times

flynn

« Svar #59 på: November 05, 2007, 10:51:20 »
Ridsdale var gjest i BBC's World Service sending på lørdag, og dermed tilgjengelig over NRK alltid nyheter frekvensen. Fikk ikke med meg så mye av det han sa, men han fikk rikelig anledning til å argumentere sin sak uten å bli utfordret eller debattert. Han virket oppriktig i sin beklagelse av hva som skjedde, og selv om han forsøker å fordele (les: skyve fra seg) noe av ansvaret gjentar han at de lot seg blende av suksessen og ikke maktet å hensynta andre mulige utfall enn fortsatt CL-spill.
Når jeg hørte ham snakke fikk de inn melding om Beckfords 1-0 scoring, og Ridsdale gir uttrykk for å være veldig oppdatert på vår gjøren og laden. Selv om han og familien nærmest ble kjeppjagd fra byen ville han aldri slutte å være stor Leeds-fan sier han...

flynn