Skrevet av Emne: Cellinos Leeds "United"  (Lest 147064 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 2 gjester leser dette emnet.

auren

Sv: Cellinos Leeds "United"
« Svar #330 på: August 06, 2014, 18:43:14 »
Gibbs slutter i klubben, og det får dessverre etterspill:

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-whites-news/leeds-united-legal-battle-looms-as-nigel-gibbs-leaves-leeds-1-6771131

Redd dette kommer til å bli en av mange episoder i årene som kommer…  :-\

auren
"Guardiola said: 'You know more about Barcelona than I do!'"
Marcelo Bielsa, 16.01.19, etter Spygate-foredraget sitt.

Promotion 2010

« Svar #331 på: August 06, 2014, 19:56:17 »
Gibbs slutter i klubben, og det får dessverre etterspill:

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-whites-news/leeds-united-legal-battle-looms-as-nigel-gibbs-leaves-leeds-1-6771131

Redd dette kommer til å bli en av mange episoder i årene som kommer…  :-\

auren

Leeds United: Legal battle looms as Nigel Gibbs leaves Leeds

Nigel Gibbs.
Published on the
06 August
16:03

Print this
Sponsored by

41 comments
Have your say!

Leeds United are heading for a legal battle with former assistant manager Nigel Gibbs after the 48-year-old quit Elland Road in protest at his “treatment by the club.”

Gibbs is preparing to sue Leeds for breach of contract and constructive dismissal following his sudden departure from the coaching staff.

The former Watford player - United’s assistant throughout Brian McDermott’s reign as manager - is understood to have left Leeds last Monday after a summer in which he became a peripheral presence at Thorp Arch.

Gibbs remained in employment after McDermott and Leeds parted company on May 30 but his role was largely undefined once David Hockaday took charge of the first team as head coach and named Junior Lewis as his assistant.

Leeds did not take Gibbs on their summer tour of Italy and he spent much of pre-season observing training sessions at Thorp Arch.

He and club owner Massimo Cellino previously discussed the possibility of severing his contract but failed to reach an agreement.

Gibbs declined to comment on the precise circumstances leading up to his departure but in a statement issued to the YEP, he said: “I have terminated my employment with Leeds United in response to the way I have been treated by the club, which amounts to a breach of contract.

“I have put the matter in the hands of my legal advisors and in those circumstances it is inappropriate for me to make any further comment.”

Cellino confirmed that Gibbs had left the club but said the ex-Reading assistant had “wanted a deal” and “asked for too much money.”

“He wanted a deal to close the relationship but he asked for too much money,” Cellino said. “He wanted to go after Brian (McDermott) left.

“He wasn’t working and he didn’t do what we told him to do. He just watched training and when we told him to do something else, he left.

“When the summer started I asked him to help David Hockaday as his assistant, to work with him. He said he didn’t want to work for Hockaday.”

Gibbs and Hockaday were formerly colleagues on the coaching staff at Watford before Gibbs’ controversial exit from Vicarage Road in 2005.

Hockaday remained as a first-team coach under Aidy Boothroyd and Watford won promotion to the Premier League the following season.
Min første Leeds-kamp:
Strømsgodset vs Leeds, 19.september 1973

Promotion 2010

« Svar #332 på: August 09, 2014, 08:25:08 »
Phil Hay - Inside Elland Road: Cellino is at United for the long haul

Published: 09 August 2014

Massimo Cellino

2 comments

Forward planning: All the work being done at Elland Road by the whites’ Italian owner suggests he will be staying at the club for the foreseeable future.

David Hockaday calls it mischief-making but with Leeds United the mischief is there to be made.

The media don’t have to work for most of it. Massimo Cellino once claimed that journalists “write a lot of s**t about me” before quietly admitting in his next breath that “quite a lot of it is true.”

After 10 minutes of last weekend’s friendly against Dundee United, it occurred to Cellino that nobody had remembered to organise any ball-boys.

Later on he was heard recounting a story about how he’d found his office at Elland Road locked and been forced to climb in through the window.

You’d make these stories up if you had to but this is Leeds as we’re coming to know it.

The summer offers enough time to dwell on redundancies, in-fighting, idiosyncrasies and the rest but in the end, a club’s reputation among the people closest to it comes back to the same thing: the football.

Get the football right and there is nothing that can’t be forgiven, or virtually nothing. The game is Cellino’s ticket at Elland Road; his way of showing that the politics around him is not where the real story lies.

And so to the football. Leeds start the new season with seven new signings – sadly not eight after the collapse of Frederik Sorensen’s loan from Juventus – and will make a couple more before the month ends.

Parts of the squad are loaded and other areas seem light: not enough centre-backs and too few goals, unless someone discovers hidden goalscoring ability (which, in fairness, someone at Leeds usually does).

But the extent to which United thrive on this window of recruitment is not so much about names or numbers. It’s dependent on what Cellino is trying to do.

Call this summer chaotic but the club’s policy in the transfer market has been deliberate and very obvious.

Take Stuart Taylor out of the equation – a veteran goalkeeper who is here for 12 months as cover for Marco Silvestri – and the average age of their signings is 22.

Two of them hold four-year contracts and most of the others are season-long loanees with the option to buy in a year’s time. Gaetano Berardi, on a two-year deal, is the only player who Leeds have met in a halfway house.

The right to take Zan Benedicic and Souleymane Doukara permanently next summer is in United’s favour - as it would have been with Sorensen - but not binding.

Leeds can (and probably will) back out if Benedicic or Doukara look out of their depth but Cellino spent much time negotiating redemption clauses so his intention is clear enough. On the basis that he wants them beyond the end of this season, it might be that the mixture of loans and permanent transfers is his way of spreading the cost. It’s often the Italian way.

Other players who travelled far down the line with Leeds but failed to sign – Federico Viviani, Giuseppe Bellusci – were of an identical ilk: early 20s and a long way below their peak.

Put the pieces together and little of what we’ve seeing in the transfer market is being done for this season. In context, it’s an attempt at empire-building: a plan of attack which Cellino thinks will gradually create a hard core of able players, something United have not had since 2011.

There is resistance on Cellino’s part to potential signings who in his mind have gone beyond the point of improvement or appreciation in value.

A few weeks ago Leeds were rumoured to be chasing Robert Acquafresca, a former Inter Milan striker. He turns 27 next month and has been around the block, loaned out by Italian clubs again and again.

Cellino dismissed the reports and called Acquafresca an “ex-footballer”. Hockaday, meanwhile, likes Billy Sharp – the new Alan Smith, fated to be linked to United each and every transfer window – but Sharp is 28 and Cellino wants a younger forward.

Even presented with an obvious target like that, the Italian’s policy is fairly rigid.

The concept of Cellino picking players takes some getting used to.

Much as English football has seen a global and continental invasion, it has never adjusted to the idea of boardroom influence on the playing side of things.

Transfers have always been the manager’s domain, even if fees and contracts were not. Coaches accept a difficult arrangement in Italy but in England, Cellino’s way is unnatural.

There is, all the same, something to be said for the signings at Leeds being Cellino’s players.

He is in the process of moving his family to the city and is clearly bedding in for years at Elland Road. His turnover of coaches is legendary and he cannot marry a tendency to sack at will with a transfer policy in which his coach dictates everything.

Even before Cellino got involved, United had a problem. Many of Simon Grayson’s players weren’t wanted by Neil Warnock and many of Warnock’s players weren’t wanted by Brian McDermott.

Leeds were churning through a manager a year and becoming a rest-home for the terminally unappreciated.

Strange as it sounds, Cellino’s opinion of the squad at Elland Road matters far more than Hockaday’s because Hockaday’s lifespan as head coach will be infinitely shorter than Cellino’s reign as owner. As and when change comes, faces should still fit.

Cellino’s approach is reliant on a couple of things: that the players he rates are actually good enough for the Championship and that enough pieces from the transfer market fall into place.

Few of us have seen the Danish defender Sorensen play but I’ve read enough about him and spoken to enough Italian journalists to think that he’s a centre-back with pedigree, experience and a game that can improve.

In the midst of this project, it was a signing that needed to happen.

Viviani would have been welcome too. He had the makings of a cute investment, a round peg in a vacant round hole.

You win some and lose some, which is how the new season is likely to go for Leeds, and promotion won’t come this year. Deep down we all know that.

But look through the mischief and there is more to United’s squad than fly-by-night transfers.

The deals done today are being done for tomorrow and if it works for Cellino, it won’t be by chance

Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #333 på: August 09, 2014, 08:52:18 »
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Gufrias

« Svar #334 på: August 09, 2014, 14:03:44 »
Hekta på Leeds siden 1974

Promotion 2010

« Svar #335 på: August 12, 2014, 17:30:45 »
Italienske media spekulerer i om Nicola Salerno vurderer stillingen sin i Leeds United:

Phil Hay
@faketalesofdans report in Italy says he's considering his position. Doesn't say why.

Kanskje det ikke kommer som noen overraskelse etter Cellinos utspill midt i forhandlingene med to viktige spillere!

Kan jo også være noe sprøyt!   ;)
Min første Leeds-kamp:

lojosang

Sv:
« Svar #336 på: August 12, 2014, 19:50:24 »
Mannen har da knapt fullført en hel sesong for samme klubb i hele sin karriere.
- Leif Olav

Promotion 2010

Sv:
« Svar #337 på: August 12, 2014, 20:14:18 »
Mannen har da knapt fullført en hel sesong for samme klubb i hele sin karriere.

Men har vært mye borti Cellino.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicola_Salerno_(sporting_executive)
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Sydhagen

« Svar #338 på: August 15, 2014, 09:13:08 »
Fin fyr :)

@sport_simon: Another reason for #lufc buying spree - they're live on TV v Boro tomorrow and Cellino doesn't want to be embarrassed

@sport_simon: A few weeks ago Cellino asked if sky could show another match this weekend. Thought it was too early for team. Politely told no!
"Paynter, a striker whose danger factor is akin to a blind sniper, who has no fingers, or a gun."

Leedsfan

« Svar #339 på: August 15, 2014, 10:31:19 »
Fin fyr :)

@sport_simon: Another reason for #lufc buying spree - they're live on TV v Boro tomorrow and Cellino doesn't want to be embarrassed

@sport_simon: A few weeks ago Cellino asked if sky could show another match this weekend. Thought it was too early for team. Politely told no!

Her snakker vi type ja!!:)
I scored 24 goals helping my side win promotion back to the Premier League aged just 22. Then in my first season in the top flight I had bagged an impressive 15 goals by the end of January. My form earned me an England call-up. Am I a £35m striker? No. I am Michael Ricketts, February 2002.

Promotion 2010

« Svar #340 på: August 15, 2014, 20:16:47 »
En fysio ut, eller......?

Lucy Ward
@lucywardleeds: Sad to say goodbye to a good friend and colleague today @PPerkins_Physio Will miss you PP thanks for everything and good luck! #lufc

::)
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Promotion 2010

« Svar #341 på: August 15, 2014, 22:50:08 »
E.Giulianelli
Don't worry, Nicola Salerno is working for Leeds as always. #lufc

:)
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Cannavaro

« Svar #342 på: August 16, 2014, 00:17:54 »
Jeg er redd denne mannen ikke har peiling på hvordan en klubb skal bygges/drives på tross av lang (og broket) erfaring.  Han har vist handlingsevne, betalingsevne og vilje og det er veldig bra.  Men det er ikke nok, slik flere her inne ser ut til å være tilfreds med, å rekruttere 8-9 spillere på et høyere nivå enn vi har ligget på de siste årene.  Disse må passe sammen, passe til engelsk fotball og passe inn i den spillestilen som velges og utvikles.  Her gjenstår det å se om han kan levere og om hurraropene fortsetter.
Jeg klipper inn denne fra (RYKTER- spillere inn/ut)av Erik M, hører inn under denne tittelen

Her var det noe å ta tak i :  1. Cellino har vel klart å holde Cagliari i toppdivisjonen i Italia over flere sesonger, og da må du helt sikkert ha litt peiling.  Han har beviselig også peiling på drift og økonomi av en klubb. Samtidig har han en klar oppfattelse av hvordan spillernes holdninger skal være, kunnskap om fotballagenter og lønn/lønnsnivå og overganger generelt. 2. Tilfreds med rekrutteringen hittil ; hvor sulteforet er ikke Leeds-fans på overgangsmarkedet, hvor vi har sett de beste spillerne reise FRA klubben de siste åra !!  Nå kommer det nye spennende navn inn og det skal vi ihvertfall GLEDE oss over. Det er åpenbart at alle disse skal tilpasses i miljøet i klubben og i England, samt spillestil og formasjon og ikke minst spillestil i Championship.  Ingen sier at dette skal bli en suksess, men budskapet til Cellino er jo at han tør å satse, ønsker progresjon og opprykk, samt har vilje og handlingsevne til å gjennomføre handler som gir positive vibber i klubben og blant fansen.  Selvfølgelig må vi vente med eventuelle hurrarop, men det er ikke vits i å være pessimist eller gledesdreper før alle nye har fått prøvd seg en del kamper.  Man kan gjerne være nøktern eller skeptisk, men man må jo bare glede seg over de små oppturene vi får foreløpig ihvertfall, og nettopp overgangsvinduet her i sommer har vært noe å glede seg over for oss Leeds-tilhengere.  Jeg velger å være forsiktig optimist ihvertfall.
MFLU - Miracles For Leeds United

Promotion 2010

« Svar #343 på: August 16, 2014, 00:52:40 »
Jeg er redd denne mannen ikke har peiling på hvordan en klubb skal bygges/drives på tross av lang (og broket) erfaring.  Han har vist handlingsevne, betalingsevne og vilje og det er veldig bra.  Men det er ikke nok, slik flere her inne ser ut til å være tilfreds med, å rekruttere 8-9 spillere på et høyere nivå enn vi har ligget på de siste årene.  Disse må passe sammen, passe til engelsk fotball og passe inn i den spillestilen som velges og utvikles.  Her gjenstår det å se om han kan levere og om hurraropene fortsetter.
Jeg klipper inn denne fra (RYKTER- spillere inn/ut)av Erik M, hører inn under denne tittelen

Her var det noe å ta tak i :  1. Cellino har vel klart å holde Cagliari i toppdivisjonen i Italia over flere sesonger, og da må du helt sikkert ha litt peiling.  Han har beviselig også peiling på drift og økonomi av en klubb. Samtidig har han en klar oppfattelse av hvordan spillernes holdninger skal være, kunnskap om fotballagenter og lønn/lønnsnivå og overganger generelt. 2. Tilfreds med rekrutteringen hittil ; hvor sulteforet er ikke Leeds-fans på overgangsmarkedet, hvor vi har sett de beste spillerne reise FRA klubben de siste åra !!  Nå kommer det nye spennende navn inn og det skal vi ihvertfall GLEDE oss over. Det er åpenbart at alle disse skal tilpasses i miljøet i klubben og i England, samt spillestil og formasjon og ikke minst spillestil i Championship.  Ingen sier at dette skal bli en suksess, men budskapet til Cellino er jo at han tør å satse, ønsker progresjon og opprykk, samt har vilje og handlingsevne til å gjennomføre handler som gir positive vibber i klubben og blant fansen.  Selvfølgelig må vi vente med eventuelle hurrarop, men det er ikke vits i å være pessimist eller gledesdreper før alle nye har fått prøvd seg en del kamper.  Man kan gjerne være nøktern eller skeptisk, men man må jo bare glede seg over de små oppturene vi får foreløpig ihvertfall, og nettopp overgangsvinduet her i sommer har vært noe å glede seg over for oss Leeds-tilhengere.  Jeg velger å være forsiktig optimist ihvertfall.

;D
Min første Leeds-kamp:

DenHviteYeboah

« Svar #344 på: August 16, 2014, 08:16:21 »

Flott innlegg!
Tro det eller ei, men jeg har gått fra å være meget bekymret til forsiktig optimist etter hva som har skjedd de siste ukene. Med de spillerne vi har nå på plass, så skal det mye til at vi havner under midten i mai. Vel, hvis Hunt starter alle kampene og taktikken til DH er på viddene så kan vel skje...
Heia Cellino sier jeg!

Promotion 2010

« Svar #345 på: August 16, 2014, 09:30:39 »
Leeds United: Millwall setback sparked urgent week of transfer business at Leeds

Published: 16 August 2014
By Phil Hay

They say that Massimo Cellino was everywhere at Millwall – on the touchline before kick-off, in the tunnel at half-time and back down there at the end of the game.

He is hopeless at sitting on his hands, which is pretty much what Leeds United did the last time their season began with such a dig in the ribs. Under-resourced and under-prepared: Millwall on Saturday was 2011 revisited.

If you were at Southampton on the first day of that feeble season, you’ll remember it being worse. Even Simon Grayson described a 3-1 defeat as shameful. The team was inadequate and the thinking confused – Darren O’Dea signed quickly from Celtic and played at left-back, Ross McCormack used alone and invisibly up front. The game ended with an impromptu protest against Ken Bates.

So what did the club do? Allowed the transfer window to close with barely another signing and sold Max Gradel on the day that it closed. O’Dea was one of five new players on top of Michael Brown, Andy Lonergan, Paul Rachubka and Andy Keogh. Chief executive Shaun Harvey said the window was “ugly” and waded into a damage-limitation exercise involving Mikael Forssell, Mika Vayrynen and Danny Pugh. All the kings horses and all the kings men.

Cellino won’t know that story and won’t have seen the bad blood it produced but it is true to say that Leeds’ post-Southampton were depressingly ordinary but not in jeopardy. They had Snodgrass, Becchio, Clayton and Howson for half the season. Relegation didn’t come into it.

What Cellino saw at Millwall was a shell of a team losing comprehensively to a Championship club who are not, for all Ian Holloway’s protestations, a big player in the division. This suddenly became a critical week for Leeds – the last week before the transfer window descended into the usual bunfight leading up to deadline day.

In Italy they see Cellino as an owner who refuses to suffer humiliation gladly and has a low pain threshold when it comes to humiliation itself. One Italian football writer said the reason Cellino ate through so many coaches at Cagliari was not because he enjoyed the role of executioner but because he struggled to tolerate anyone who was vaguely letting him down. Cagliari was his club and the success or failure of his club reflected on him before anyone. He had a profile to think about and a reputation, employed for a short time the vice president of the Italian Football League.

Most of the transfers to Elland Road this week have ticked along nicely, devoid of the politics which ruined others and dragged down talks with Kieran Agard yesterday, but that is not to say Leeds planned to act so urgently before Millwall gave them a shock and a shake.

Cellino was selling Leeds short with the squad as it was and the performance at The Den convinced him of that. It is a sharp change of philosophy for United to spot those deficiencies and act on them. In previous transfer windows, the club were prone to dressing their squad in the emperor’s new clothes; refusing to see how little was there despite the evidence around them.

Business has been hasty, as business in August usually is, and Leeds have taken gambles alongside safer buys like Billy Sharp.

Liam Cooper at £600,000 is a big leap and the club’s failed bid for Agard – more expensive again – was an offer for a goalscorer who has never seen the Championship before. But they are young, on a recent upward curve and within a certain budget. They are signings a club can only gamble on if they are willing to pay for them first. Agard was judged fairly or unfairly as a risk too far.

The telling aspect of the deals with Sharp, Cooper and Giuseppe Bellusci was that they all required a degree of backtracking or re-analysis. Bellusci’s opportunity to come to Leeds blew up last month after a disagreement over wages. Cellino called him “spoiled” and told him to stay in Italy. Sharp was seen as too old by the Italian – a debatable opinion at 28 – and Cooper was considered too expensive at anything over half-a-million pounds. This time last week there were other avenues to explore. You could call the about-turns weakness or panic on Cellino’s part. You could equally call them pragmatic. Leeds decided to bid again for Cooper within hours of talks with Frederik Sorensen collapsing.

Bellusci was on a plane from Rome by noon on Tuesday and signed that night. Pride swallowed, deals done and the squad reinforced for a head coach in David Hockaday who is now engaged in a fairer test of his talent. In refusing to cover any cracks, Millwall was a tipping point – and very much the right result.
Min første Leeds-kamp:

Josch

« Svar #346 på: August 16, 2014, 09:37:29 »
100% einig i at Cellino gjør mye. Cellino snakker mye om Premier League i sine intervjuer, men sier at ting må være på plass først (marketing, org, stadion, spillere, apparat osv).  Andre punkt er hva som FAKTISK skjer: 11 ok spillere har kommet inn, vi fikk overpris for toppscoreren, stadion skal kjøpes tilbake, alle spillere MÃ… bo i Leeds, holdninger er avgjørende for å få kontrakt (han signer ikke BARE pga fotballferdigheter), stort kontaktnett i Itali osv. Han har hus i Leeds og er ofte på kampene  (KB bodde i Monaco!).  :) Jeg synes han har gjort det som er mulig. Men det viktigste gjenstår: reultat på banen. :)

Sydhagen

« Svar #347 på: August 16, 2014, 15:18:11 »
for en deilig Cellino!
for en deilig trener!
for et deilig lag!
for en deilig Sharp!
for en deilig dag!

MAAAASSIMOOOOO!!

MOT!!!
"Paynter, a striker whose danger factor is akin to a blind sniper, who has no fingers, or a gun."

Gufrias

« Svar #348 på: August 16, 2014, 15:31:24 »
Med innsats og resultat som i andre omgang i dag, er det fullt mulig at Cellinos Leeds blir United rimelig kjapt.
Hekta på Leeds siden 1974

sportcarl1

« Svar #349 på: August 16, 2014, 15:42:16 »
for en deilig Cellino!
for en deilig trener!
for et deilig lag!
for en deilig Sharp!
for en deilig dag!

MAAAASSIMOOOOO!!

MOT!!!
annat Leeds detta än det han fick uppleva på tribunen i våras han undrade nog mer än en gång vad han gett sig in på

Andersen

« Svar #350 på: August 16, 2014, 15:44:29 »
MC har vel flere spillere i kikkerten !?  ;D

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #351 på: August 17, 2014, 12:48:48 »
Marching On Together, Italian style :)

Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Sleivind

« Svar #352 på: August 20, 2014, 21:51:19 »
Etter år med kvantitet foran kvalitet hadde jeg håpet at Cellino skulle velge en annen vei. Men sånn ble det altså ikke  :(

Eriksen55

« Svar #353 på: August 20, 2014, 21:52:42 »
Etter år med kvantitet foran kvalitet hadde jeg håpet at Cellino skulle velge en annen vei. Men sånn ble det altså ikke  :(

Det vet ikke du noe om enda  ;)

DenHviteYeboah

« Svar #354 på: August 20, 2014, 22:17:47 »

Det vet ikke du noe om enda  ;)
Tja, i de tre kampene vi har spilt til nå har vi vel ikke vært klart best....vil heller si at vi har blitt overkjørt i samtlige 3 kamper >:(
<vi får prøve å å ta av Leedsbrillene de 10 første kampene....

Promotion 2010

« Svar #355 på: August 20, 2014, 22:31:15 »
Hvis noen fortsatt vil få trykket styremedlemmers navn på den fine hvite drakten, så er det flere som har gjort den tabben før:

http://www.gfh-capital.com/about-us/board/salem-patel

;D
Min første Leeds-kamp:

lojosang

Sv:
« Svar #356 på: August 20, 2014, 23:24:19 »
Bremner, Revie og Charles er fortsatt trygt. :-)
- Leif Olav

Promotion 2010

« Svar #357 på: August 21, 2014, 00:05:32 »
En fysio ut, eller......?

Lucy Ward
@lucywardleeds: Sad to say goodbye to a good friend and colleague today @PPerkins_Physio Will miss you PP thanks for everything and good luck! #lufc

::)

P.Perkins:
@Aaron_Malone29 was part of the cut backs mate. As a fan wish the club all the best and hope they make it back to the prem!!!

Min første Leeds-kamp:

auren

auren

« Svar #359 på: August 21, 2014, 23:08:19 »
http://simonaustinsport.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/cellino-on-bates-meetings-hockaday-and.html?m=1

auren

Bates kommer altså til å saksøke Leeds:

You might have thought you'd seen the back of him, but he refuses to go away.
On Thursday, Ken Bates gave an interview to Yorkshire Radio, revealing some recent meetings with new owner Massimo Cellino.

Turns out that what he said was true - and for the reason that a few of you had said.

I spoke to Cellino on Thursday night and he told me: "It's true, we've had meetings. I have to protect Leeds from the case involving Bates and GFH.

"He is suing GFH and the Leeds owner, which is now me.

"I am trying to have a friendly transaction to save the club a lot of money. We are spending too much time, money and energy on legal cases."

These are the facts as far as I'm aware (you might know more than me).

When GFH bought the club, they agreed Bates would continue as president, for three years, and at a salary of approximately £300,000 per year.

GFH subsequently sacked Bates, because he had committed the club to paying for a private jet to fly him from his home in Monaco to Leeds whenever he wanted, for three years.

Bates insisted the travel arrangement was covered by the contract of sale and is taking legal action against Leeds and GFH.

This is likely to be alleviated by some kind of deal, most likely with Bates' Radio Yorkshire being given the broadcast rights to Leeds matches (while they are in the Championship, anyway).

auren