Skrevet av Emne: TEMA: Who killed Leeds United?  (Lest 3941 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

kjelvi

TEMA: Who killed Leeds United?
« på: Mars 30, 2007, 15:07:52 »
Neverending story!
Mange tråder om det samme, men velger å lage en ny på basis av dagens artikler i Times og The Herald.
Ikke så mye nytt egentlig, men likevel - det får en til å tenke...

kjelvi

Re: TEMA: Who killed Leeds United?
« Svar #1 på: Mars 30, 2007, 15:09:09 »
Marching on together into obscurity – where it all went wrong for Leeds United
As away trips to Gillingham beckon, our correspondent begins his two-part series on the fall of a former power

Who killed Leeds United? It is a question that involves murder, excess and rented goldfish, with the answer lying somewhere in the detritus between Taksim Square, the Majestyk nightclub and a room above the Miss World office in Soho. Now football’s biggest fall is nearing the nadir of another relegation. It is the end of a brave new world.

The transformation from a club who reached the Champions League semi-final in 2001 to the present cadaver seemingly doomed to drop into Coca-Cola League One while still paying off Paul Okon, a bit-part player who left the club four years ago on the back of 15 league appearances, is a morality tale.

It began on January 11, 2000, when Sarfraz Najeib was beaten and bitten in an assault off Boar Lane in the city centre. Jonathan Woodgate and Lee Bowyer were among those arrested, whereupon Leeds’s new-found popularity evaporated. A stench of suspicion lingered over the club, not helped by the fanatic who threatened to fire-bomb Leeds Metropolitan University, where Najeib was a student, if the players were jailed.

Initially, Leeds prospered and the remainder of that season was wildly successful on the pitch. David Wetherall’s goal for Bradford City against Liverpool on the last day of the season ensured that Leeds qualified for the Champions League and sparked an unprecedented spending spree.

Peter Ridsdale, then the Leeds chairman, was a hugely popular figure at the time. His dignity after the murders of two Leeds fans before that season’s Uefa Cup semi-final against Galatasaray had endeared him to all. Ridsdale had seen the stab wounds and sent his driver to pick up more blood from a neighbouring hospital in Istanbul. He was with Philip Loftus when he identified his brother’s body.

Nobody doubted that he cared. This was the man who had become chairman of the local education authority when it was falling foul of Ofsted, a fan who saw his first Leeds game in 1959 and who idolised Gary Sprake. Two years later, he would meet Sue Speight, one of the widows of the murdered, at a preseason match against Farsley Celtic.

“Her children are doing well and she is looking like her old self,” he said in his part-time office above the Miss World headquarters in London, but by then David O’Leary had been dismissed, the club were out of control and Sprake was no longer the Leeds fall guy.

O’Leary’s first buy was David Batty and the rookie manager went on to spend £94 million, recouping £28 million. In 16 heady months up to the arrival of Robbie Fowler in November, 2001, he parted with a net £50 million. To fund this huge increase in ambition — George Graham, the previous manager, had taken Leeds to fifth in 1998 after spending a net £500,000 that season — Ridsdale struck a deal with Ray Ranson, head of Registered European Football Finance, to borrow money up front and pay it back with interest over the course of a player’s contract.

The board also recruited Stephen Schechter, a Wall Street finance guru, to get them £50 million. He managed £60 million as Leeds mortgaged their future against future season-ticket sales. “The importance of the debt has been overstated,” one of the directors from that time said.

“The thing you have to do is service the debt. We were unlucky in that the transfer market collapsed and we missed out on the Champions League by one point in 2001 and one place in 2002. Even so, that squad should never have gone down.”

Peter Lorimer, the Leeds legend, local pub landlord and later a director himself, sees it differently. “Give me £100 million and there’s a fair chance I would do OK in the Premiership,” he said. “Peter got carried away with a bit of glory.” Ridsdale’s public utterances made little sense as he paved the road to ruin. “Robbie Fowler is a unique talent and we bought Robbie Keane because we never thought Fowler would become available,” he mused. It left Leeds with six strikers.

“When I went, we had £12 million in the bank and we were planning for a 50,000 capacity,” Bill Fotherby, Ridsdale’s predecessor, said. “It stems from the top and you don’t need 24 O levels to realise that anybody will give you money if they know they’re going to get much more back.

“It all changed with the onset of plcs — you get people who are in it for the ego. As a chairman, you just can’t go around trying to please all the supporters when they’re screaming for signings.”

However, Leeds’s problems were not a one-man show. On December 14, 2001, Woodgate was convicted of affray and sentenced to 100 hours’ community service. The next Friday, Leeds played Everton at Elland Road. Bowyer sat in the stands after being transfer-listed for refusing to pay a £100,000 club fine. Bowyer said the punishment was wrong, given that he had been found not guilty.

He ultimately paid up, but the club were sinking. O’Leary’s diary, Leeds United On Trial, was serialised in a Sunday tabloid just days after the trial concluded, with the author claiming that he had nothing to do with the title or timing. But he could not deny that he had written that he was ashamed and that “their conduct was an utter disgrace.” Bowyer, who had given O’Leary his signed shirt at the end of the previous season, was never the same again. “The book lost David his job,” Lorimer said.

The fallout from the trial was huge. In court, Michael Duberry, Woodgate’s defensive partner, denied implicating his teammate, but received death threats. O’Leary also received letters stating that his wife would be killed if he played the Leeds Two. After the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, another letter dropped through his door declaring a jihad against him. On January 1, 2002, Leeds beat West Ham United 3-0 and Woodgate was the man of the match. Top of the Premiership and staring into the abyss.

The Elland Road to nowhere:

Peter Ridsdale
Carried the can for gambling the club’s future and turning a £6 million profit into a £100 million debt

David O’Leary
His book was crass, naive and badly timed. Having spent more than £90 million, he twice missed out on the Champions League

Lee Bowyer and Jonathan Woodgate
Their trial was ultimately responsible for Woodgate’s loss of form and Bowyer agitating for a move to Liverpool

Terry Venables
Undermined by the sale of Rio Ferdinand, but his Leeds team were sliding long before anyone else of note left the club

Professor John McKenzie
Saved the club £20 million but invited mockery by his handling of Harry Kewell’s departure and Peter Reid’s dismissal

Gerald Krasner
Terrible PR skills highlighted by using Geoffrey Richmond as a consultant, but his board did wipe away £80 million of debt

Kilde: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/championship/article1588700.ece

Dette er artikkel 1 av 2. Toeren kommer trolig lørdag.
« Siste redigering: Mars 30, 2007, 15:16:22 av kjelvi »

kjelvi

« Svar #2 på: Mars 30, 2007, 15:10:19 »
The damned united

The brilliant book by David Peace, soon to be transformed on to celluloid, is a novelisation of Brian Clough's ill-starred 44 days in charge at Elland Road. Its title is, though, far more apposite to the current state of a once mighty club: The Damned United.

Leeds United are staring into the abyss and failure to defeat Preston North End in tonight's televised match will further crumble the ground beneath their feet. Bottom of the Coca-Cola Championship with seven games remaining, Leeds are currently four points adrift of salvation.

Relegation to the third tier of English football for the first time in their gilded 88-year history would be a catastrophic new humiliation for a club sent into the vortex by grotesque financial mismanagement.

In 2001, Leeds faced Valencia in the semi-finals of the Champions League. Their supporters have long since tucked away their European flight schedules. Poring over road maps to find the quickest way to Yeovil could soon be a more pressing concern.

It is a club whose greatest period is intrinsically linked with Scotland. Between 1965 and 1974, a core of outstanding Scottish talent powered Don Revie's team to finish each season as one of England's top four clubs. Two league championships, an FA Cup, a League Cup and two Inter-Cities Fairs Cups were all greedily gathered. An unparalleled record of runner-up finishes meant even that heady haul did not give true impression of their immense abilities.

"There was a time in the 1970s when there were 17 Scots at the club between the first team and the reserves," says Gordon McQueen, at the heart of the Leeds defence between 1973 and 1978.

"That's true. Don Revie loved Scottish players and the characteristics they brought to the team. His wife was Scottish as well.

"Of that 17, there were quite a few internationals. You're talking about David Harvey, Billy Bremner, Peter Lorimer, Eddie Gray, Frank Gray, Joe Jordan, myself, David Stewart. It's just terrible how things have changed.

"It's a club on a massive downer. I thought a bad season would not be making the play-offs. To be strong relegation candidates is disastrous. The future is scary."

McQueen has not been to Elland Road for some time, but such is the importance of the Preston game that he plans to be in attendance tonight. Eddie Gray will also be there, but then he has rarely been apart from the place since first being recruited in 1963.

Undoubtedly one of Leeds' greatest ever players - and to many the scorer of their greatest goal for a physics-defying dribble against Burnley - he has twice been manager and helped coach the outstanding crop of young talent that emerged late in the 1990s. He now covers every game as a pundit for BBC Radio Leeds and is deeply pained by their plight.

"It's very hard to watch," he said. "To see us so close to dropping into that division for the first time in our history is terrible. It would be a calamity if it happened.

"Something tells me we'll sneak out of it, but I don't know if that's my heart ruling my head. One thing I know is that it would be a disaster if we didn't pick up three points against Preston."

Dennis Wise and Gus Poyet form the current management team, old friends of Ken Bates, the reigning Leeds chairman, from their days together at Chelsea. That triumvirate may not have painted themselves in glory, but the club's implosion can easily be traced back to others.

David O'Leary had constructed a squad costing £100m over his four years in charge, before he was sacked as manager in 2002. The aforementioned Champions League semi-final was the high-point of a dizzying fantasy which was flipped into the blackest nightmare.

The Leeds board, chaired by Peter Ridsdale, had been funding purchases via a sale and lease-back scheme. Through Ray Ranson, a former professional footballer turned insurance expert, they found financial institutions willing to cover transfer fees which would then be paid back by Leeds over the term of a player's contract. With interest.

The plan was based on the premise that revenues would continue to rise, primarily through annual participation in the Champions League. When in the spring of 2002, it became clear Leeds would not qualify for that elite moneypot, the house of cards began to tumble. Net debt had reached £82m and the annual wage bill had soared to £53m.

Plan B was to begin selling their main assets; the players. Rio Ferdinand's proposed £29m transfer to Manchester United was the final straw in the deteriorating relationship between O'Leary and Ridsdale. Ferdinand's value had been boosted by an excellent World Cup for England, but the transfer market in general had contracted. Leeds had paid fees and wages at the top of the cycle and could not balance the books.

Ridsdale, now chairman of Cardiff City, has been widely vilified for his role in the shambles. He resigned as chairman in March 2003, with subsequent boards including insolvency experts to help save the club from extinction. Relegation from the Premiership was an inevitability.

Bates became chairman in 2005 and is contractually bound to pay several former players years after they were shipped out. That draining arrangement is finally set to end this summer.

"Everyone was saying they enjoyed the ride at the time and it was wonderful to see the team flying high in the Premiership," says McQueen. "Very good. But at the same time, you are looking for the people behind the scenes to provide financial stability. Not gamble with the club's future and that's exactly what they did.

"It was totally irresponsible. Ask any Leeds fan now and they'll tell you that. Don't get me wrong, they don't like the present chairman because he raised the ticket prices. But he said he had to do that or the club could go under. They are living week to week with the payments that go elsewhere. The real severe damage was done years ago."

Elland Road and Leeds' Thorpe Arch training ground were also both sold in 2004 to stave off administration. Bates is hoping to repurchase both sites with assistance from the local council.

Gray was part of O'Leary's coaching staff during the peak years of spending and feels Ridsdale has, to some extent, been singled out unfairly, given the entire board were behind the scheme.

"Ridsdale takes the flak but there were a lot of other people involved," says Gray. "They have sneaked out the back and left Peter to carry the can.

"But there was far too much spent. At one time we had Mark Viduka, Alan Smith, Robbie Fowler, Robbie Keane, Michael Bridges on the books. All strikers. The best teams in Europe don't carry that kind of ammunition.

"A lot of money was recouped through sales but it was the day to day running of the place that was far too high. The wages were ridiculous."

The current squad is not even a shadow of O'Leary's, but should still not be the worst in the Championship. David Healy, for example, has scored more goals for Northern Ireland this season than he has Leeds, partly because Wise has stuck him into wide positions in some games for which he has been selected.

"He'll play from the start and through the middle against Preston," said Gray hopefully.

"I think he has to now.

"We have been bottom of the table for two months and have lost 23 games, more than anyone else in the division. We have not performed well at all and deserve to be in the position."

McQueen is more pessimistic than Gray about the future and feels Leeds' loyal core of support has already been pushed beyond breaking point.

"An awful lot of fans are totally disillusioned," he said. "It's going to be difficult to get them back because they've had too many kicks in the teeth over the past few years. It's a support that's on its knees. My wife is from Leeds, and a lot of my in-laws are Leeds fans. They just don't go any more."

Damned by their guardians and now by their followers. The next chapter in Leeds United's story could be the bleakest yet.

Kilde: http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines/display.var.1296608.0.0.php
« Siste redigering: Mars 30, 2007, 15:17:12 av kjelvi »

fmtj

• Lorimer
  • Vi har kvittet oss med mange spillere nÃ¥...
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #3 på: Mars 30, 2007, 20:13:37 »
Dette synes jeg faktisk vi har lest nok av, blir bare deprimert nok engang![xx(]
Yeboahs vitne

Lids

« Svar #4 på: Mars 30, 2007, 21:15:04 »
og en link til artiklene holder.

Thomas
Thomas

Asbjørn

• Forum Admin
  • Moderatorer
  • Lorimer
  • LEEDS UNITED - the Pride of Yorkshire
    • Vis profil
    • E-post
« Svar #5 på: Mars 30, 2007, 22:56:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by Lids

og en link til artiklene holder.

Jég vil derimot si til denne Kjelvi; Keep'em coming [:)]
...og veldig gjerne klippet inn. Mange som med alderen ikke lenger "gidder" å trykke på linken [:I]

Ã… samle dette i én skikkelig tråd hadde vært greit... Vi vil nok skrive en og annen tingen om dette også i fremtiden...

Sometimes you gotta do like Elvis did & shoot the damn thing out
Tv Talkin' Song
B.Dylan
« Siste redigering: Mars 30, 2007, 22:57:36 av Asbjørn »
Tell me - I've got to know
Tell me - Tell me before I go
Does that flame still burn, does that fire still glow
Or has it died out and melted like the snow
Tell me  Tell me

Dylan

Sheridan

« Svar #6 på: Mars 30, 2007, 23:31:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by fmtj

Dette synes jeg faktisk vi har lest nok av, blir bare deprimert nok engang![xx(]

Enig!

"denne klubben spilte faktisk semifinale i Champions League for bare noen få år tilbake".. hører vi i hver bidige TV-kamp! Det syntes jeg egentlig holder.

« Siste redigering: Mars 30, 2007, 23:37:07 av Sheridan »

veteranen

• Gjest
« Svar #7 på: Mars 30, 2007, 23:50:50 »
Kjevi's inntreden på dette forum, har vært en berikelse for oss alle.

Fyren er en hund etter Leeds-story'er - enten det gjelder ex-spillere/managere, gamle Leeds-relaterte ting, eller blodferske nyheter - og han serverer alt på et sølvfat til oss andre.

Han fortjener ros - og den er herved utdelt! [:)]

Lids

« Svar #8 på: Mars 31, 2007, 00:00:13 »
Enig i det, veteranen - men av og til er det ok å skrive litt og så henvise til en link hvor man kan lese resten, hvis man ønsker det.

Thomas
Thomas

tori_no

« Svar #9 på: Mars 31, 2007, 01:08:39 »
Med den overskriften på topicen trodde jeg nesten årets påskekrim hadde begynt.
Men denne krimmen visste vi dessverre hvem morderen var før den begynte.

kjelvi

« Svar #10 på: Mars 31, 2007, 01:25:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by tor

Med den overskriften på topicen trodde jeg nesten årets påskekrim hadde begynt.
Men denne krimmen visste vi dessverre hvem morderen var før den begynte.

Det var ikke butleren, men Peter Ridsdale!

kjelvi

« Svar #11 på: Mars 31, 2007, 01:59:30 »
Skal være forsiktig med å diskutere meg sjøl!
Men om dette er godt eller dårlig stoff er vel øyet som ser. Noen mener sikkert det er relevant nå som vi står på kanten av stupen, mens andre ikke...
Når jeg snubler over en tråd eller en posting som ikke er interessant for meg, velger jeg den bort. Enkelt og greit.

Linker eller fulltekst, er vel også litt smak og behag.
Finnes det rammer og retningslinjer på det, justerer jeg selvsagt gjerne egen praksis. Har ikke sett noe som stiller krav på dette området.
Sjøl fortrekker jeg fulltekst når andre publiserer - og har derfor valgt å ha en slik praksis sjøl. Men så er jeg jo en novise på Forum...

Lykke til i kveld! Her har vi (d.v.s. jeg - kona og sønnene har full hvilepuls) startet nedtellingen,

kjelvi

« Svar #12 på: April 02, 2007, 16:04:22 »
The following events happened over the years on April 2. :

2003: Peter Ridsdale resigned as chairman of financial strugglers Leeds United after five years at the helm.

RoarG

« Svar #13 på: April 02, 2007, 16:12:18 »
Lærerik artikkel.Visste ikke at O'Leary brukte mye penger. Og denne klovnen har det vært enkelte røster her på forumet som har ønsket tilbake som manager.Heller Wise,da.

Change is the constant that cannot be changed.
"Jeg tror ikke på Gud, men etter Bielsas ansettelse må jeg nok revurdere", Roar Gustavsen, januar 2020

kjelvi

« Svar #14 på: April 03, 2007, 18:17:57 »

They have wrecked my Leeds, says Radebe

Lucas Radebe has hit out at the ‘mismanagement’ that has left his beloved Leeds United on the brink of relegation to League One.

The former Leeds and South Africa skipper remains a cult hero for Elland Road fans and was even linked to a return to the crisis club as joint manager with Gary Kelly earlier this year.

Radebe pointed the finger at former chairman Peter Ridsdale and manager David O’Leary for starting Leeds’ demise and is unsure that owner Ken Bates is the right man to have at the helm of the salvage operation.

He said yesterday: ‘It’s really sad what has happened. Leeds are still close to my heart. Their slump is a disaster for such a great club, with their passionate fans and great tradition.

‘For it to happen in the time it has is alarming. Leeds need to be in the Premiership and the Premiership needs Leeds because they have such a great following.

‘There was mismanagement under David O’Leary and Peter Ridsdale. They let the club down, overspending money that wasn’t there. The club lost some great assets and have never recovered.’

Bates rescued the club two years ago, but Radebe told Radio Five Live: ‘It doesn’t seem right; he’s from Chelsea and there is a fierce rivalry between the two clubs.

‘If they go down, it will be a disaster but nobody has come up to buy into the club and get it back where it belongs.

Kilde: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=446369&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow
« Siste redigering: April 03, 2007, 18:18:37 av kjelvi »

berlin

« Svar #15 på: April 03, 2007, 19:08:08 »
Lucas snakker fra hjertet, og akkurat det kan ikke motsies. The Great Lucas. Chief.

kjelvi

« Svar #16 på: April 18, 2007, 04:50:01 »
The following events happened over the years on April 17:

2001: Despite going down 2-0 in Spain, David O Leary's (pictured) Leeds United qualified for the semi-finals of the UEFA Champions League with a 3-2 aggregate win over Deportivo La Coruna.
« Siste redigering: April 18, 2007, 04:50:32 av kjelvi »

kjelvi

« Svar #17 på: April 24, 2007, 01:56:07 »
Leeds lesson is Euro warning

THE Champions League semi-finals are where you will find the biggest names in Europe.
Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and AC Milan are the clubs with giant reputations in this year’s penultimate stage.

But six years ago Leeds broke the mould by reaching the last four, making them the talk of European football.

A breathtaking run of results – including wins over Milan, Lazio and, in the quarter-finals, Deportivo La Coruna – took them to within a whisker of the 2001 final.
Leeds eventually lost to Valencia – and that marked the start of a sharp decline.
Just three years later came relegation from the Premiership and the Yorkshire club is currently fighting to avoid the drop into League One.
If Leeds are not careful, memories of the San Siro and Bernabeu will soon be replaced by trips to Port Vale and Bournemouth.
More importantly, Leeds’s plight is a warning to the Premiership trio left in this year’s competition – all of whom have endured big-money takeovers in the past few years.
It would be wrong to suggest United, Chelsea or Liverpool are in danger of self-combusting.

But Leeds’s financial woes demonstrates how quickly the good times can evaporate.
A look at the Yorkshire side’s squad for their semi-final first leg against Valencia at Elland Road – which they drew 0-0 before succumbing in Spain – speaks volumes.
It included four current England internationals: Tottenham keeper Paul Robinson, Jonathan Woodgate, on loan at Middlesbrough from Real Madrid, and two Manchester United players chasing European glory this season, Rio Ferdinand and Alan Smith.
Leeds were also able to call upon the likes of Mark Viduka, Harry Kewell, Lee Bowyer, Olivier Dacourt, Nigel Martyn and Ian Harte – all of them in the prime of their careers.
But the star-packed squad was dismantled almost as quickly as it was put together as the debts mounted and the club began its slide towards financial oblivion.

Chairman Peter Ridsdale borrowed £60million on the assumption that Leeds possessed the quality to qualify for the cash rich Champions League season after season.
But when that plan failed – Leeds never featured in the competition again after losing the second leg of their semi-final in Valencia 3-0 – the club sunk like a stone.
Burdened by Ridsdale’s great expectations, they plummeted into the Championship with debts of over £100million.
Defeat for 10-man Leeds at Southampton last Saturday edged them ever closer to English football's third tier - something that would have been unthinkable in the heady days of Ridsdale's big spending.
And that thought will be even harder to stomach when they tune into this week's semi-finals.
Europe's biggest stage is a million miles away right now.

The Leeds glory men
Here is the Leeds side that faced Valencia in the Champions League semi-final, first leg at Elland Road - but where are they now?

Nigel Martyn: Retired after stint with Everton
Danny Mills: Outcast at Manchester City
Ian Harte: In his third season with Spanish side Levante
Rio Ferdinand: Joined Man United for British record £30m
Dominic Matteo: Playing with Stoke in the Championship
Lee Bowyer: Braced for a second relegation with West Ham
Olivier Dacourt: Serie A title winner with Inter Milan
David Batty: Retired in 2004 after series of injuries
Harry Kewell: Struggling with injuries at Liverpool
Mark Viduka: Set to leave Middlesbrough this summer
Alan Smith: Back to his best at Manchester United

Subs: Paul Robinson (now at Tottenham), Gary Kelly (Leeds), Jonathan Woodgate (Middlesbrough), Stephen McPhail (Cardiff), Jason Wilcox (retired), Eirik Bakke (SK Brann), Jacob Burns (Wisla Krakow).

thesun.co.uk
« Siste redigering: April 24, 2007, 01:57:06 av kjelvi »