Skrevet av Emne: NYHETER: Ex-player/-manager news, Part 9  (Lest 37192 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 2 gjester leser dette emnet.

kjelvi

Sv: NYHETER: Ex-player/-manager news, Part 9
« Svar #30 på: Januar 23, 2009, 15:04:42 »
Seb Carole latest link to Town
Ex-Leeds winger Seb carole has today left Darlington after his short term contract expired.
Rumours from Darlington are that he has agreed to join a league one side, believed to be Huddersfield Town.
An out and out winger Carole can play on either flank, and would possibly fill the right wing at Town.
http://www.darlington-fc.net/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10339~29496,00.html

Carole training at Huddersfield but no contract
SEB CAROLE is training with Town, but boss Lee Clark says he has no imminent plans to sign the former Leeds winger.
The Frenchman is a free agent after his short-term contract with Darlington ended.
http://www.examiner.co.uk/huddersfield-town-fc/huddersfield-town-news/2009/01/23/carole-training-at-huddersfield-but-no-contract-86081-22757936/

Hallgeir *

« Svar #31 på: Januar 24, 2009, 12:07:38 »
   Vår gamle storspiller, Terry Cooper, har en manager-sønn i lille Kettering Towns Mark Cooper. I dag skal hans lag måle krefter med Fulham i FA-cupen.
Super Leeds since 1968

kjelvi

« Svar #32 på: Januar 26, 2009, 01:00:37 »
Transfers - January 2009  
The January transfer window is open and the period for buying and selling has been extended to 1700 GMT on Monday 2 February because 31 January falls on a Saturday.

22 January: Marlon King [Wigan - Middlesbrough] Loan
15 January: Tomi Ameobi [Doncaster - Mansfield] Loan, Carl Dickinson [Stoke - Leeds] Loan, Liam Miller [Sunderland - QPR] Undisclosed, Matthew Spring [Luton - Charlton] Undisclosed
9 January: Lee Bowyer [West Ham - Birmingham] Loan, Michael Gray [Wolves - Sheffield Wednesday] Loan, Lee Trundle [Bristol City - Leeds] Loan
5 January: Anthony Elding [Crewe - Lincoln] Loan
2 January: Geoff Horsfield [unattached - Lincoln]

23 January: Damien Reeves [Histon - Northwich] Free

kjelvi

« Svar #33 på: Januar 26, 2009, 01:05:46 »
Wigan have been told they will have to cough up £8million for Michael Johnson while Steve Bruce also wants Middlesbrough star Adam Johnson. (Star)

Robbie Fowler is mulling over a move to North Queensland Fury. (Star)

FOWLER EDGING CLOSER TO AUSSIE SWITCH
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer_centre/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/01/24/SOCCER_Fowler.html

kjelvi

« Svar #34 på: Januar 26, 2009, 01:15:50 »
Where are they now? Kenny Burns
Ex-United hard man still taking no prisoners

Mention the name Kenny Burns to forwards of the late 1970s and early '80s era and you'll probably be greeted with a grimace.
It's one of football's ironies that the tough-as-teak Scot now spends his time making his footballing audience laugh on the after-dinner circuit – after having many a rival for lunch during his playing days.
Larger-than-life two-times European Cup winner Burns' footballing career contained a gallery of highs under Brian Clough at Nottingham Forest – tasting champagne moments both at home and abroad.
His conversion back from a centre-forward in his days at Birmingham to a defensive enforcer at the City Ground was the work of genius, with his Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year award in 1977-78 testimony to that.
His arrival at Leeds United in October 1981 shortly after turning 28 – with his peak years seemingly to come – should have been a marriage made in heaven.
While the take-no-prisoners Glaswegian took on all-comers and never shirked a challenge, he could play – in the best traditions of United's greats in the glory days just over half-a-decade earlier.
But it was very much a case of right club, wrong time for Burns, with the Whites a fading force when he made the short trip up the M1 for a princely £400,000.
The bulk of Burns' time in West Yorkshire was played out in the provincial settings of the old second division, and his stint was not without its controversies. Most notably a much publicised fall-out with boss Eddie Gray. Some persistent injuries also blotted his time at the club, which he left to join Derby in February 1984.
But for a winner like Burns, coping with United's exit from the top-flight in the spring of 1982 was the biggest cross to bear and the biggest disappointment of his distinguished career.
East Midlands-based Burns, now 55, said: "Getting relegated with Leeds was probably one of the saddest moments in my lifetime. We had good players, but not enough of them. That was the problem, we had some average players.
"I remember signing. I spoke to Allan (Clarke) and he impressed me. Leeds had got a great history and it was probably one of the best professional teams I'd seen in my life.
"There were still some very, very good players there, such as Trevor Cherry, Paul Hart, Eddie Gray and Peter Barnes. John Lukic wasn't a bad keeper, but that was it really. It wasn't really enough to make a team.
"I don't want to be nasty, but for some it was beyond their limit. To be fair, if you look at some of their careers as they went on, some didn't get to that high a standard again.
"In the great Leeds and Forest teams, they had players who knew actually what to do – when and where. That's what makes great players.
"You look at Jackie Charlton and Norman Hunter, they knew when they had to hoof the ball into row Z. Allan Clarke and Mick Jones knew when and where to flick it. Little things like that let us down probably.
"It was the right club at the wrong time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm the most skilful or best player in the world.
But I was honest and knew what to do, when to do it and how to do it.
"We went down and in that year, I remember Allan Clarke saying that he was going to play Peter Barnes all the time. Don't get me wrong, he was a great player. But when you are battling, he's not a fighter, but a skilful player. He was like big Frank Worthington, he had skill you could only dream about. But they weren't battlers.
"Supporters aren't thick or stupid. They like to see a player who can play a bit of football but, if it gets a bit rough, handle themselves. That's the Yorkshire way and the way I played football. And I never gave anything less than 100 per cent.
"I just loved playing football. Now it's all money, money, money.
"I listened to Harry Redknapp last week. He said when Spurs went 1-0 down to Portsmouth, the players were magnificent, they could have folded, packed in and dropped their heads, but they battled back and kept going. They are only getting £50, £60 to £70,000 a week!
"When I went to Leeds, I never asked for a raise or nothing. I just said 'match me what I've got here' and that was it. And that's what they did do."
On life in the second tier and his fall-out with Gray, Burns added: "I had a wee gripe with Jimmy Lumsden (Eddie's assistant). I think that's how me and Eddie fell out, really. It was a bit of banter with Jimmy and, as usual, it went over the top. And that really finished it.
"Eddie stopped playing me so I said 'okay, I want away' and the next thing I knew, I went to Derby (on loan) and managed to help them stay up.
"I think I had an agreement with the chairman, Manny Cussins, at the time – that myself, Frank (Worthington) and Peter Barnes had a car in our contracts. He (Cussins) said to me 'show me the writing' and I said 'but it's a gentleman's agreement' and he replied 'not if if it's not in writing, it's not!' I said 'stuff it, then'. So I never played for six months.
"I remember Eddie coming to me and saying 'I totally agree with you 100 per cent'. But he said he could do with me playing and when I did, I ended up player-of-the-year.
"Eddie Gray wasn't recognised enough away from Yorkshire, as a player and a man. I would actually say he's one of the nicest people I've ever met in football.
"I remember we had young players like Neil Aspin, John Sheridan and Dennis Irwin coming through. Who would have thought Dennis would do what he did? He wasn't the quickest – clever, but not the quickest.
"John Sheridan had lots of ability, but I think he thought he was a better player than he was at the time. He was a young boy and thought he knew everything. But a very, very good passer of the ball.
"Scott Sellars had a nice left foot and went on to play in the Premiership. Neil was raw, but just gave you everything he had, a real honest player.
"Then, they were all a wee bit too young.
If they were 18 months to two years down the line, it would have been a great help."
Spells at Derby and Barnsley followed with Burns going on to seek his footballing fix at a variety of semi-professional sides in the Midlands.
The time coincided with an ill-fated spell in the pub trade in the sleepy market town of Uttoxeter before Burns – blessed with the gift of the gab alongside his more choice footballing skills – became a salesman.
On life after Leeds, Burns added: "I signed for Derby, but Arthur Cox was there who I didn't really get on with. I remember we were running, probably in a foot of snow, and I was captain. I went in and he said 'don't you think we were more skilful than we were last year?' I said 'no'. He didn't like that and that was me finished there.
"I then went to Barnsley and did a bit of coaching and Allan (Clarke) let me down a little bit there. One or two things he never backed me up with, I felt.
"He said I was getting on a bit, and yet I was taking the reserves and I was getting up to Sunderland and back down to Derby at probably 1am in the morning and then I went training on the Thursday. He didn't look after me there.
"I then played at Grantham with Martin O'Neill and John Robertson, who were managers there. I just love football, I wish I could still play now. I then went to Ilkeston and ended up having a short spell at Stafford.
"I also took on a pub in the country where I was trying to get punters in by them hearing 'this is Kenny Burns' pub, blah, blah'. I was getting farmers in and they were talking about how quickly they could dunk a sheep! So that was no good. Although I came out of there minus a wife, so that was a result!
"I then got a job in a caravan factory and became a sales rep. I left there and went to a giftware company and was a salesman. I could always sell as I had plenty of gob on me."
A career as a successful footballing raconteur ultimately beckoned with Burns – forthright in terms of opinion as he was uncompromising in his playing days – currently regaling stories to misty-eyed audiences about his halcyon days with principally Forest and Scotland.
Certainly, if supporters of any clubs could be forgiven for basking in nostalgic footballing glory tales of yesteryear, it's those who follow Leeds and Forest. But while Burns is happy to recount his considerable experiences and rewind the clock, he insists both clubs are foolish to believe they have a divine right to be dining at the top-flight table by reputation alone – with the right having very much to be earned.
Burns said: "I really enjoying the speaking. I had lost my licence through drink-driving but I got it back and now do all after-dinners and match-day hospitality at Forest.
"Leeds are one of my old clubs, and I always look for the results of my old teams and want them to do well.
"Leeds are a great club, but while people say they shouldn't be in League One, they should be there, to be fair.
If they are good enough, they'll get out.
"As it stands, they are not good enough to play anywhere else – they are there because they haven't done it on the pitch. It was the same with Forest. That's the bottom line – you get what you deserve. Leeds are there for a reason – because they've been poor.
"To be fair, Forest went up last year and they were very, very lucky. If they didn't go up automatically, I wouldn't have fancied them in the play-offs."

YEP

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/custompages/CustomPage.aspx?pageID=76468

kjelvi

kjelvi

« Svar #36 på: Januar 26, 2009, 08:59:26 »
*Liverpool striker Robbie Keane is getting plenty of attention in Monday's papers after he stayed away from Anfield for the 1-1 FA Cup draw against Everton.
* The future of the £20m Republic of Ireland star is increasingly uncertain and on Sunday he endured the humiliation of Frenchman David Ngog replacing him on the bench. (The Sun and Daily Mail)
* Robbie Keane's Liverpool future was again thrown in doubt yesterday after he responded to being axed by staying away from their 1-1 FA Cup draw with Everton. (Mail)
* Robbie Keane's Liverpool future hangs on a knife-edge as he boycotted the FA Cup clash with Everton after learning David Ngog had replaced him on the bench. (The Sun)
* BENITEZ TIGHT-LIPPED ON KEANE OMISSION: http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer_centre/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/01/26/SOCCER_Liverpool_Benitez.html

Ian Rush's son John, 18, has joined NEWI Cefn Druids. (The Sun)
« Siste redigering: Januar 26, 2009, 09:03:05 av kjelvi »

kjelvi

« Svar #37 på: Januar 27, 2009, 12:53:37 »
* Newcastle United may be the shock destination for Robbie Keane, whose career at Liverpool is in doubt.  (Metro)
* Tottenham are interested in bringing Liverpool striker Robbie Keane back to White Hart Lane but Manchester City also want the Republic of Ireland star. (Various)
* Harry Redknapp has made a dramatic move to take Liverpool misfit Robbie Keane back to White Hart Lane. (Mirror)
* Harry Redknapp is trying to re-sign his third Tottenham old-boy of this month's transfer window by offering Robbie Keane an escape route out of Liverpool. (Express)
* Robbie Keane has been offered a potential return ticket to Tottenham Hotspur as he faces up to an increasingly uncertain future at Liverpool after his £20.3million summer move. (Times)
« Siste redigering: Januar 27, 2009, 13:00:11 av kjelvi »

kjelvi

« Svar #38 på: Januar 27, 2009, 14:53:20 »
Ex-Leeds winger Seb carole has today left Darlington after his short term contract expired.
Rumours from Darlington are that he has agreed to join a league one side, believed to be Huddersfield Town.
An out and out winger Carole can play on either flank, and would possibly fill the right wing at Town.
SEB CAROLE is training with Town, but boss Lee Clark says he has no imminent plans to sign the former Leeds winger.
The Frenchman is a free agent after his short-term contract with Darlington ended.

Seagulls look at Carole
Brighton bring in former winger on trial

Sebastien Carole is back with Brighton after being invited by manager Micky Adams to train with the side.
The French winger had a one-year spell with the club before joining Leeds on a free transfer in 2006.
Carole was released by The Whites earlier this term before being snapped up by Darlington on a short-term contract.
The 26-year-old has spent time with a number of clubs since leaving the Quakers and is now back with Brighton.
Seagulls boss Adams was not at the club the last time Carole was in town and he is eager to access his abilities.
"He's not somebody I've worked with before, but everyone at the club speaks highly of him so we'll take a look at him this week," Adams told the club's official website.

http://www.skysports.com/news/player_archive/0,19889,11719_1_92510_1,00.html

kjelvi

« Svar #39 på: Januar 27, 2009, 17:45:31 »
BENITEZ BACKS KEANE FOR PIVOTAL ROLE
Robbie Keane's immediate future is at Liverpool as the Anfield club continue their stuttering chase for three major honours.
But when Keane returns to the squad at Wigan on Wednesday for a crucial Premier League clash, he knows he must start to prove that his stay with the Reds can last for more than just the next few months. (....)
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer_centre/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/01/27/SOCCER_Liverpool_Nightlead.html

SOUTHGATE HOPES KING CAN SHINE
Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate believes Marlon King's "hunger" to succeed will have a positive effect on his new team-mates in their survival battle.
King joined Boro on loan until the end of the season from Wigan and will be in the squad for Wednesday's Premier League clash at Chelsea.
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer_centre/nw_story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/01/27/SOCCER_Middlesbrough_Nightlead.html

kjelvi

« Svar #40 på: Januar 28, 2009, 08:43:27 »
Liverpool are considering an offer from Tottenham of Aaron Lennon or Jermaine Jenas in exchange for Robbie Keane. (Independent)

kjelvi

« Svar #41 på: Januar 28, 2009, 13:22:15 »
Plukk fra SkySports (Wednesday Transfer Clockwatch):

Fit again Newcastle midfielder Alan Smith has moved to quell speculation that has suggested he could quit St James' Park.
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer_centre/nw_story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/01/28/SOCCER_Newcastle.html

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has dropped a hint that he has received an approach for striker Robbie Keane.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_4861510,00.html
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer_centre/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/01/28/manual_110016.html
http://fourfourtwo.com/news/england/23972/default.aspx

kjelvi

« Svar #42 på: Januar 28, 2009, 21:44:14 »
Hull City keeper Tony Warner has turned down the option of a loan move to League One strugglers Crewe.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_4862433,00.html
http://www.skysports.com/football/player/0,19754,11714_16388,00.html

kjelvi

« Svar #43 på: Januar 29, 2009, 12:13:18 »
Everton have failed in their attempt to sign Newcastle forward Alan Smith. (Daily Telegraph)

kjelvi

« Svar #44 på: Januar 29, 2009, 17:58:12 »
ROYALS SNAP UP HARDING
Reading have signed Dan Harding on loan from Ipswich until the end of the season.
The versatile former England Under-21 international can play anywhere on the left-hand side and the Royals are just waiting to finalise the paperwork and seal the deal.
Manager Steve Coppell handed the 25-year-old his league debut while he was running Brighton back in 2003.
And he said: "At a time when the window is coming to a close, Dan will give us that extra element of competition and insurance going into what is a very critical stage of the season.
"He can do a good job for us anywhere on the left hand side of the pitch, and he is a player that I know well."

kjelvi

« Svar #45 på: Januar 29, 2009, 18:05:23 »

kjelvi

« Svar #46 på: Januar 29, 2009, 18:06:44 »
Foxe will take what he can get at Perth Glory
Former Leeds and West Ham defender Hayden Foxe is prepared to sign a performance-based contract at Perth Glory.
“I want to stay in Perth but I’ve got to be honest. I’ve come back and I’ve played six games last year and two games this year so I can’t argue with whatever the club says,” he said.
“I could be on a pay-as-you-play contract. It depends how they structure it, but I’d be willing to do that."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayden_Foxe
http://www.perthglory.com.au/default.aspx?s=pgfc_playerprofile_item&pid=118

Foxe, Petkovic to be offloaded by Perth Glory
Hayden Foxe and Jason Petkovic are set to be offloaded by Perth Glory at the end of the season.
"It's going to be difficult, probably, to keep Hayden on, in the sense he hasn't played enough games," Glory coach Dave Mitchell said.
"He's been in football all his career, so I think any player that hasn't played enough realises that.
"It's been bitterly disappointing that we haven't had him on the park as much as we would've liked, but that's football."
While a final decision is yet to be made, Mitchell said he also expected Petkovic to go at the end of the season.

Foxe unlikely to remain with Perth Glory
Perth Glory defender Hayden Foxe is unlikely to remain at the club next season.
The former Portsmouth, West Ham and Leeds player has managed just eight matches in two seasons with the Glory and is expected to be let go by coach Dave Mitchell.

kjelvi

« Svar #47 på: Januar 29, 2009, 23:23:21 »
Tottenham have reportedly enquired about the possibility of re-signing striker Robbie Keane from Liverpool. (Sky Sports News)

kjelvi

« Svar #48 på: Januar 30, 2009, 08:59:39 »
* Tottenham have ended their interest in bringing Liverpool striker Robbie Keane back to the club. (The Independent)
* Liverpool are to report Tottenham for allegedly 'tapping up' striker Robbie Keane. (The Sun)
* Robbie in tap-up storm: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2189289.ece
* Robbie needs to go - and now: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2189174.ece

Former Leeds United star dies

A former Leeds United player who made an amazing return to football after breaking his leg in a horror tackle has died at the age of 90.
Aubrey Powell, who signed for the club in 1935, scored 25 goals in 114 league appearances during his career at Leeds United.
http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/leedsunited/Former-Leeds-United-star-dies.4929937.jp
« Siste redigering: Januar 30, 2009, 09:09:06 av kjelvi »

kjelvi

« Svar #49 på: Januar 31, 2009, 13:01:12 »
Transfers - January 2009  
The January transfer window is open and the period for buying and selling has been extended to 1700 GMT on Monday 2 February because 31 January falls on a Saturday.

15 January: Tomi Ameobi [Doncaster - Mansfield] Loan, Carl Dickinson [Stoke - Leeds] Loan, Liam Miller [Sunderland - QPR] Undisclosed, Matthew Spring [Luton - Charlton] Undisclosed
9 January: Lee Bowyer [West Ham - Birmingham] Loan, Michael Gray [Wolves - Sheffield Wednesday] Loan, Lee Trundle [Bristol City - Leeds] Loan

30 January: Tresor Kandol [Leeds - Charlton] Loan, Brett Ormerod [Preston - Blackpool] Free
26 January: Tom Elliott [Leeds - Macclesfield] Loan

kjelvi

« Svar #50 på: Januar 31, 2009, 13:33:31 »
Seagulls look at Carole
Brighton bring in former winger on trial

Carole has no regrets
Seb Carole wants to clear the air with chairman Dick Knight on his return to Albion, three years after quitting the club for Leeds.
The French winger is back with the Seagulls on a short-term contract for the rest of the season and is in the squad for today’s home game against Hartlepool.
Carole was a regular in the Albion side relegated from the Championship under Mark McGhee in 2005-2006.
He made a controversial exit by exploiting a clause in his contract to join Leeds on a free transfer.
Carole, 26, said: “Hopefully I will see the chairman today and have a chat with him. It will be nice to see him again. I hope he is not too upset because I left three years ago! I don’t know if he is happy for me to be back but we’ll find out soon I guess.
“I signed a two-year contract with a clause that if we went down I could go somewhere else for free.
“I think I did well for Brighton, even though we went down. I understand why the chairman was a bit upset that I left.
“He was ready to offer me a new contract, even though the club went down, which was really nice and I appreciated that.
“I didn't go to a League One club in competition with Brighton, I went to Leeds to try to reach the Premier League.
“I was 24 at that time and it was a dream chance. That is the only reason I left, because I really like Brighton. The club has great ambition, which you can see now that the new stadium is being built.”
Carole’s career at Leeds was wrecked by managerial upheaval after Kevin Blackwell signed him on a three-year contract.
His chances were limited under both Dennis Wise and Gary McAllister and he has rejoined Albion after training with Blackwell's Sheffield United, a brief trial with Huddersfield and a short spell on a month-to-month contract at Darlington.
Carole, signed by Micky Adams after impressing on trial this week, said: “In life you have to live with no regrets. In the same situation now I would have gone to Leeds, with the chance to get into the best division in the world.
“I've got no regrets about leaving but it's a pleasure to come back and I will be doing my best for the club to get them back on track.”

theargus.co.uk

kjelvi

« Svar #51 på: Januar 31, 2009, 14:38:35 »
Where are they now:
Legend Jones is loving life back at Leeds

Squad rotation is taken as read in modern-day top-flight football – but the concept was a foreign one to Leeds United in their heyday.
And while striking legend Mick Jones is of the view that United paid the price for not operating the tinkerman tactics successfully employed by all of today's managerial giants – by way of silverware – he wouldn't have swapped eras for anything.
By any stretch of the imagination, Jones' Elland Road career was glorious.
It dovetailed perfectly with United's rise to the summit of English football under the masterful leadership of Don Revie following his big-money arrival for a whopping £100,000 from Tyke rivals Sheffield United in September 1967.
But while the Whites' trophy cabinet contained a fair few jewels in a glittering spell, the glaring fact that it wasn't bulging at the seams wasn't lost upon Worksop-born Jones.
For the record, the 63-year-old – now living in semi-retirement in South Yorkshire – won two championships and two Fairs Cup's under the stewardship of Revie, along with the FA Cup in 1972 when he was memorably helped up to the Royal Box with his arm in a sling after damaging his shoulder late on in the 1-0 win over Bertie Mee's Arsenal.
But two cup final reverses and countless other near misses at home and abroad – most notably in their abortive treble raid in 1970 – left deep scars and an undeniable sense of 'if only', allied to an unwanted tag of 'nearly men'.
Rotation at the business end of several campaigns could have yielded more tangible reward for United, who were basically victims of their own success, in the eyes of Jones.
And maybe it would have played a hand in prolonging a career which ended prematurely due to a serious knee injury at the age of 29.
Capped three times by England, Jones still looks back on his time at United – in a glorious era for post-war football as a whole – with a misty-eye, feeling fortunate enough to be able to recount his memories to young and old alike as part of his corporate hospitality work on match-days at Elland Road.
Back in his day, title races and cup chases contained more than the usual "top four" suspects who seem to have carved up the honours in the cash-rich Sky TV era.
While Leeds were the flag-bearers for Yorkshire, both Merseyside and Manchester giants – principally City – sporadically jousted for prizes with United in Jones' goal-den Elland Road stint from 1967 to 1974 when six different sides won the title.
The Midlands assault was headed by Brian Clough's Derby, while the likes of Wolves and Stoke also flexed their muscles and that's without even mentioning London's big hitters of Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea.
Jones told the YEP: "Our problem was we went for too much. We went out of three competitions in 10 days in 1970.
"In hindsight, we should have gone for two (competitions) each year and not three or four and that's probably why we didn't win as much as we should have done.
"The schedule was almost the same each year.
I think if you could fault Don Revie – we all thought of him as an absolutely marvellous man and manager – apart from his superstitions, it was that he didn't use his squad enough.
"There were 15 or 16 of us (internationals), but he stuck by more or less the same team, week-in, week-out and played the same 11 or 12.
"We had five internationals who weren't playing every week and playing them wouldn't have weakened the side.
"A pro called Carl Asaba asked me about two or three years ago how many games we played during a season? I said: 'oh, 70'. And he looked at me like I'd gone mad! We used to play on mudheaps as well and he said if he played 30, it would be plenty for him.
"We had to play on all types of pitches back then, you accepted it. It was part and parcel of the job.
"Looking back, that's maybe why I finished so early.
"We had six or seven games left in the 1973-74 season and I had got this knee problem. Don Revie wanted me to play, I'd got 26 league goals and was having a cracking season, and he said they'd get it sorted out at the end of the season.
"But the knee joint was worn, it had gone through. We won the league, but then I had a big operation and it didn't work and I knew I was finished at top level and 18 months later, I retired.
"But I wouldn't swap my career then for now. People say 'if you played now, you'd be a multi-millionaire'. But for me, I had a fabulous career and played with fabulous footballers who were all British. I'm not jealous of the money they get nowadays."
The heavyweight footballing clashes of the early 70s – invariably featuring Leeds – are stuff of legend in footballing circles, from the famous 1970 European Cup semi against Celtic – watched by an aggregate crowd of 182,000 people – to the Whites' famous Wembley cup finals against Chelsea, Arsenal and Sunderland.
Jones was privileged to play in all those games and a few more besides, with the seismic showdowns etched into United folklore.
On his medley of memories, Jones added: "Personally, one of the main games for me was the Fairs Cup final win against Ferencvaros in 1968 because Leeds had never won a European trophy. I got the only goal in the first leg, and we went to Budapest and drew 0-0.
"They hammered us, but Gary Sprake was absolutely fantastic. He took some stick, but when he was busy, he was brilliant.
"I remember the 1970 cup final at Wembley – they'd had the Horse of the Year show on it the week before. We took salt tablets before that game to stop getting muscle cramp; you walked on and you just sunk in the grass.
"Many went down with cramp at the end of the game. But we hammered Chelsea that day. I meet up with Peter Bonetti still and he always says: 'Christ, you hammered us at Wembley.' And then they won the replay at Old Trafford.
"Then there was the Centenary Cup final against Arsenal, which was watched by millions around the world.
"I'm remembered for that game everywhere I go – even now. It's nearly 40 years on, but people still come up to me and say 'you're the fellow who went down with the injury'. It's nice, although it wasn't a nice feeling at the time!
"1972 was a massive year – 1973 wasn't. After Sunderland, everyone was writing us off and felt we were finished and said we were too old.
"Don Revie said at the start of the 1973-74 season that we aren't going to lose a match and are going to win the league. And we went 29 games without losing and won the league and rammed things down people's throats.
"But after that season, the team was getting old and that was it. I finished with injury, John Giles was coming towards the end and the team was splitting up. Don Revie knew this and I think it was why he took the England job.
"It was a bad time after that. Brian Clough came and he shouldn't have come at that time, he wasn't right for Leeds United. If he'd have come five years later, he'd have probably been the right man. He'd have probably kept the club up there with a different set of players."
In today's transfer market, Jones would have been worth millions, but the down-to-earth young striker certainly wasn't courted by Revie amid a fanfare of publicity or secret meetings in plush hotels and the like – despite his hefty six-figure transfer.
More a visit from the great man to Jones' humble home, with not an agent in sight!
Jones – who worked in a cycle factory and played for a colliery side before being handed his first professional break at Bramall Lane – said: "It was a huge move at the time.
"The money for players is nonsense now, but back then, it was a British record for both clubs – £100,000 was mega money in those days.
"John Harris (Sheffield United manager) said he was going to resign over it, apparently. I'd come up from being a kid there and went onto play for England. I had a good time there.
"The move was a surprise, to be honest. You didn't have agents in those days and you dealt with everything yourself.
"Clubs never mentioned it when other clubs were after you. It came out of the blue, but apparently Don Revie had said he'd been after me for two years, which was news to me!
"Along with other clubs, like Arsenal and Liverpool, he said he'd put the best offer in for me.
"But Sheffield United never mentioned it. I only found out when I came home from shopping one Friday afternoon that him (Revie) and his chairman were at my house. I'd just got married and had moved into a semi-detacted house and he was waiting outside – that's how it worked then. It's a bit different now.
"I remember they said to me: 'Are you ambitious'. And I said: 'Very much so.' And Don said: 'Well, you're the man I want, I've been after you for two years.
"I'm remembered for that game everywhere I go – even now. It's nearly 40 years on, but people still come up to me and say 'you're the fellow who went down with the injury'. It's nice, although it wasn't a nice feeling at the time!
"1972 was a massive year – 1973 wasn't. After Sunderland, everyone was writing us off and felt we were finished and said we were too old.
"Don Revie said at the start of the 1973-74 season that we aren't going to lose a match and are going to win the league. And we went 29 games without losing and won the league and rammed things down people's throats.
"But after that season, the team was getting old and that was it. I finished with injury, John Giles was coming towards the end and the team was splitting up. Don Revie knew this and I think it was why he took the England job.
"It was a bad time after that. Brian Clough came and he shouldn't have come at that time, he wasn't right for Leeds United. If he'd have come five years later, he'd have probably been the right man. He'd have probably kept the club up there with a different set of players."
In today's transfer market, Jones would have been worth millions, but the down-to-earth young striker certainly wasn't courted by Revie amid a fanfare of publicity or secret meetings in plush hotels and the like – despite his hefty six-figure transfer.
More a visit from the great man to Jones' humble home, with not an agent in sight!
Jones – who worked in a cycle factory and played for a colliery side before being handed his first professional break at Bramall Lane – said: "It was a huge move at the time.
"The money for players is nonsense now, but back then, it was a British record for both clubs – £100,000 was mega money in those days.
"John Harris (Sheffield United manager) said he was going to resign over it, apparently. I'd come up from being a kid there and went onto play for England. I had a good time there.
"The move was a surprise, to be honest. You didn't have agents in those days and you dealt with everything yourself.
"Clubs never mentioned it when other clubs were after you. It came out of the blue, but apparently Don Revie had said he'd been after me for two years, which was news to me!
"Along with other clubs, like Arsenal and Liverpool, he said he'd put the best offer in for me.
"But Sheffield United never mentioned it. I only found out when I came home from shopping one Friday afternoon that him (Revie) and his chairman were at my house. I'd just got married and had moved into a semi-detacted house and he was waiting outside – that's how it worked then. It's a bit different now.
"I remember they said to me: 'Are you ambitious'. And I said: 'Very much so.' And Don said: 'Well, you're the man I want, I've been after you for two years.

YEP

Where are they now-seien: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/custompages/CustomPage.aspx?pageID=76468

Thomas

« Svar #52 på: Januar 31, 2009, 16:01:28 »
Flott artikkel om Mick Jones!

kjelvi

« Svar #53 på: Januar 31, 2009, 20:59:04 »
Transfers - January 2009  

30 January: Tresor Kandol [Leeds - Charlton] Loan, Brett Ormerod [Preston - Blackpool] Free
26 January: Tom Elliott [Leeds - Macclesfield] Loan

31 January: Craig Farrell [York - Oxford] Loan

kjelvi

« Svar #54 på: Januar 31, 2009, 21:17:33 »
Former Premier League star Olivier Dacourt has told skysports.com that he is hoping to seal a move before the transfer window closes.
Parma potential home for Bolton target Dacourt
Former Leeds and Everton midfielder Olivier Dacourt is remaining coy about a proposed move to Serie B team Pama.
Currently with Jose Mourinho’s Inter Milan, the 34-year old has been linked with a move to Bolton but his future remains unclear.
"I want to play full stop, so I don't know [about joining] Parma,” Dacourt told skysports.com.
"It is a great club, but I have nothing to say yet, thanks, wait and see on the 31st of January."

Cottagers keen on Dacourt loan deal
Fulham are reportedly in talks with Inter Milan over a loan move for veteran midfielder Olivier Dacourt before the transfer window closes.
Roy Hodgson has already brought in promising youngster Giles Barnes from Derby and has now made an enquiry about securing Dacourt's services.
The former Strasbourg, Everton, Lens, Leeds and Roma man is not in Jose Mourinho's plans and has featured in just 15 minutes of Serie A action this season.
With Jimmy Bullard having been allowed to leave Craven Cottage for Hull City, Hodgson sees Dacourt as an ideal addition to his team's engine room.
The 34-year-old former France international has commanded over £21million in transfer fees during his career.
Fulham are hoping to strike a deal with the Italian giants which would see Dacourt move on loan to West London for the remainder of the campaign before the transfer window closes at 5pm on Monday.

kjelvi

« Svar #55 på: Januar 31, 2009, 21:18:47 »
Gavin Rothery er på utlån/prøvespill fra Harrogate og til Carlisle. Rothery ble veiet og funnet for lett i York, men har nå imponert Greg Abbott i Carlisle.....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_conf/7845137.stm

Rothery offered deal by Carlisle
League One outfit Carlisle have offered a one-month contract to midfielder Gavin Rothery after impressing in a trial spell.
The 21-year-old has been with the Cumbrians since the beginning of January and has impressed enough to be handed the short deal.
Manager Greg Abbott said: "We're going to offer Gavin a month.
"We've seen enough to be optimistic about him and this will give him a period of time where he can show us what he can do."

http://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10361~1538468,00.html
« Siste redigering: Januar 31, 2009, 21:20:49 av kjelvi »

kjelvi

« Svar #56 på: Januar 31, 2009, 21:24:59 »
Transfers - January 2009  
30 January: Brett Ormerod [Preston - Blackpool] Free

Blackpool bring back striker Brett
Striker Brett Ormerod has rejoined former club Blackpool after his contract at Lancashire rivals Preston was cancelled by mutual consent

Ormerod hit 45 goals in 105 appearances for the Seasiders in his first spell with the club and has now signed a deal until the end of the season.
The 32-year-old left Bloomfield Road for Southampton in 2001 but could now make his second debut for the club away to Crystal Palace in the Championship on Saturday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Ormerod
http://www.leedsfans.org.uk/leeds/players/31718.html

kjelvi

« Svar #57 på: Januar 31, 2009, 21:29:12 »
31 January: Craig Farrell [York - Oxford] Loan

York City striker joins Oxford United on loan
YORK City striker Craig Farrell has joined Oxford United on loan until the end of the season.
The former Leeds United frontman signed for City's Blue Square Premier rivals after turning down a switch to Blue Square North high-flyers Gateshead.

U's sign Farrell
http://www.oufc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10342~1539595,00.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Farrell
http://www.ycfc.net/players/c/craig-farrell.php

kjelvi

« Svar #58 på: Februar 01, 2009, 11:01:47 »
* Liverpool striker Robbie Keane is on the verge of a £15m return to White Hart Lane. (Mail on Sunday)
* Robbie Keane has been left out of the Liverpool squad for today's clash with Chelsea. (News of the World)
* Rafa Benitez last night opened the door for Spurs to make a £20million beat-the-deadline bid for Robbie Keane. (Express)

Spurs to end Keane's Anfield misery - I didn't even sanction the £20m transfer in the first place, admits angry Benitez
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1133129/Spurs-end-Keanes-Anfield-misery--I-didnt-sanction-20m-transfer-place-admits-angry-Benitez.html

Sheffield United are bracing themselves for a £2.5million QPR bid for Matthew Kilgallon. (Star)
« Siste redigering: Februar 01, 2009, 11:09:41 av kjelvi »

kjelvi

« Svar #59 på: Februar 01, 2009, 14:42:48 »
Former Premier League star Olivier Dacourt has told skysports.com that he is hoping to seal a move before the transfer window closes.
Parma potential home for Bolton target Dacourt
Former Leeds and Everton midfielder Olivier Dacourt is remaining coy about a proposed move to Serie B team Pama.
Currently with Jose Mourinho’s Inter Milan, the 34-year old has been linked with a move to Bolton but his future remains unclear.
"I want to play full stop, so I don't know [about joining] Parma,” Dacourt told skysports.com.
"It is a great club, but I have nothing to say yet, thanks, wait and see on the 31st of January."
Cottagers keen on Dacourt loan deal
Fulham are reportedly in talks with Inter Milan over a loan move for veteran midfielder Olivier Dacourt before the transfer window closes.
Roy Hodgson has already brought in promising youngster Giles Barnes from Derby and has now made an enquiry about securing Dacourt's services.

Sky Sports News understands Fulham are in talks to bring veteran striker Brian McBride back to the club on loan, while Olivier Dacourt is undergoing a medical at Craven Cottage.